Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
asked by Angie Kukla on November 25, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
For me the big difference is that the G12 has the flip out screen. If you like to take pictures from different angles the movable screen lets you get these shots without having to get down on the ground or climb up on stuff. My old Canon A620 has this kind of screen and it is worth the extra money.
Kustom Jeff answered on March 17, 2011
Comment | 3 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Coug Moog answered on November 10, 2011
Comment | 13 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The S95 has a nice f/2.0 lens, while the G12 is f/2.8. However, just about everything else tips the G12's way. The ergonomics are better (it actually helps a lot that it's significantly larger), it has a built-in optical neutral density filter that buys an extra three stops in bright light, and slightly longer zoom. The G12 is absolutely killer.
Chysn answered on May 2, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Check the f numbers. I think the S is faster over the G. Probably the same under the hood though.
Michael Miner answered on March 30, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hi Hammysg1....

The S95 does NOT have a manual viewfinder and no, it does NOT have the capacity to allow you to put lenses and filters. The G12 is hands down, the best if you're seeking these two options not available on the S95.

Plus, the G12 has a hot shoe so you can put external flash! =) Don't get me wrong the S95 is cute, as I saw it finally at the store the other day...it's sleek, cute but the G12 has the extras I mentioned above and the S95 doesn't!

I HOPE this helps. =)
thefrenchelf answered on March 27, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
It usually happens to amazon when a new model of a camera is to be released. In this case, the new Canon Gx1 flagship camera is the new 'breed' of the G series. Either that it the G12 production has completely stopped, meaning that's it. Hence price hike.
thefrenchelf answered on February 20, 2012
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
phulana answered on April 10, 2011
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I am on the same predicament here....Tough choice. From the reviews I 've read/viewed, they are practically the same. The only big difference is the portability of each camera. The S95 is more 'pocketable' versus the G12. I think I'm going for the G12 since I've got the G10 and I'm familiar with the G series anyway.
I hope this video helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jto9C5uZIWU
thefrenchelf answered on December 7, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I did buy the G12 and I love it! I find the flip out screen extremely useful, because I like to take photos at wacky angles, especially since I am short and this way I can hold the camera over my head and still frame the shot.
Angie Kukla answered on March 17, 2011

A
I am also considering this choice and I'm wondering if any s95 owners could answer something for me, does the S95 allow you to use add-on lenses, like telephoto and wide angle lenses, and, if so, are they 52mm lenses or 58mm? And secondly, does the S95 have a manual viewfinder or can you only frame shots using the LCD screen? I am trading up from an old Powershot A70 and I don't want to lose the features that I love so I'm thinking that I need a G12 but I'd rather get an S95 if it has the same features.
hammysg1 answered on March 27, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product