on December 21, 2008
Verified Purchase
I've gotten screwed by generic batteries before. I had to throw one in the trash about a year ago because it just crapped out on me. Now, I try to buy the official battery.

When I fully charge this big thing up, my HF100 reads 268 minutes (4 hours and 28 minutes) of battery time remaining as soon as I power it up. I'd take that number with a grain of salt... think: a minimum of 3 hours for sure and you'll probably be fine. I always assume about 2/3rd's of what the manufacturer claims the battery life to be, because the manufacturer always does their battery tests in the ideal conditions of the lab instead of real world conditions.

And yes, it does stick out pretty far... but hasn't been a real problem for me. You may want to consider getting two 819's instead however. They will last you about 2 hours (real world time). The original battery that comes with the camera lasts for about 1 hour real world time.

This thing is really expensive. You know that 75% of it or more is pure profit. But, if you want the official name brand with a warranty, I guess you pay a premium.

Side note: I also bought a generic 2 hour battery and charger for my HF100. Just know that I CAN NOT charge my official Canon batteries (including this big boy one) on that third party charger. I need to still charge my Canon batteries while they are in the camera. I'm still trying not to spend so much money on that really expensive official Canon battery charger. That thing should be half the price that it is! Just thought I might warn people who thought they could get a off-brand charger to charge up their Canon batteries. They must have some kind of lock-out chip that prevents them from being charged in a non-official charger. Boo Canon.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2008
Verified Purchase
In general, you can purchase non-OEM batteries at much lower prices. They are for the most part, reliable, a fraction of the cost, and will last a good deal of time. The downside, their charges won't be as strong as an original same-capacity battery, their recycle/recharge rate will be less, and they will die out on you sooner, but then again at the price you pay buying another one will still be cheaper. If price is not an issue, this battery is excellent. Best part, I received this battery free as an Amazon promotion for my Canon HG20 which is a must, since the HD Camcorder uses the main screen instead of a viewfinder, battery consumption and use of the hard drive drains power quickly. The batteries that come with camcorders standard are always a joke and should be used as backups only. Thank you and enjoy a great product. BBC
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2010
Verified Purchase
Amazon shipped a generic replacement, labeled "Power2000", "ACD-763", "for Canon BP-827", with the address of a no-name company in New York. There is no official Canon logo anywhere! Instead it says "Manufacturers [sic] names are trademarks of their respective companies ... for reference purposes only ... do not constitute any form of endorsement ..."!! The barcode on the back is taped over with an external sticker that carries a different UPC code and says "Canon BP-827". It's obviously a fake. Very, very shady indeed. If I wanted a generic, I'd know where to buy it. Here, I wanted brand, and I got a knockoff represented as brand (it says "by Canon", and there is a picture with a Canon logo on the battery in the item description!), at more or less brand price. (The knockoffs are ~$50, not ~$120.) Take your pick what to think. I thought those fly-by-night outfits out of Brooklyn operated like this. Needless to say, it's going back. Simply unbelievable! Grrrr.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2008
This Battery give me around 300 minutes of recording time or about 350 minutes of playback time on my HF10.

It does make the camcorder slightly bulky. This battery is a must when you are shooting outdoors.
on October 21, 2008
Verified Purchase
I bought this battery and was very happy with the 4-1/2+ hours of battery time on my camcorder. The battery is a bit bulkier then the one that comes with the HF-100 but that is to be expected since it has like 3+x the capacity. I have the 16MB storage cards and you can fill a little more than 2 of them on a full battery charge.

The camcorder still fit in my case with the battery on, so no big deal.

If you are going to be shooting for a good length of time or you just hate recharging your battery after every 60-90 min session then this is a good buy. I highly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2009
Verified Purchase
This battery is expensive but well worth it. It gives me over 6 hours of video recording. I bought a different brand from ebay for much cheaper and it works, but you have to answer the camera prompt to use a non-canon battery every time the cam is turned on. This is a pain.
on October 20, 2010
Verified Purchase
Purchased this product just about 1 year ago, along with my VIXIA HF 200. Charged it maybe at most 20-25 times.

This battery never had any issues until it hit around the 1 year mark, then suddenly would not charge past 26 minutes. Next time I tried charging, it wouldn't even hold any charge at all, and cannot even turn on the camera.

I just got off the phone with Canon Technical Support, and said their warranty for accessories are only for 30 days, and they basically told me that I have an expensive paperweight, and that there is no way for them to service it or to assist in any way whatsoever.

I may have a lemon, but I don't see the reason why anyone should pay the extra premium for a name-brand product that only has a 30 day warranty, and has no serviceable options from Canon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2009
I've always worried about having enough battery life on my camcorders. I've bought no-name brand batteries in the past but this time I figured I would stick with brand name and pay extra. I don't regret it at all.

I record many of my daughter's soccer and basketball games and when there are tournaments, I don't have enough battery life. Well, the first time I used this battery, I didn't even recharge it overnight. It still had plenty of power left for the next day's games.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who can afford it. It is worth it.
on May 22, 2009
Verified Purchase
During extensive filming, this battery pack provided reliable use of the Vixia HG20 for many hours. While the battery pack extends beyond the end of the camera when attached, it does not cause a problem in handling the camera nor does it look objectionable. The battery that comes with the HG20 is very short lived and the camera would be of limited value without this option.
on April 6, 2010
Verified Purchase
I just bought this and paired it with the lastest Canon Vixia M31 camera. (Read my review...this is a great camera for those that don't want something cheapo and yet can't afford a $4k camcorder but want something just as solid!)

The Canon Vixia M31 is pretty ultra-light. It's very light when matched with the battery that comes with it and even with the BP-827 battery, it's still light enough to barely notice. One of my main concerns was, "Is this 'large' battery going to weigh a ton?". Not at all. Are you going to get fatigued or need to go to the gym? Absolutely not. The total weight of the camera and the battery is like that of a small soup can. Technology is really amazing me!!

*Note that this camera uses flash memory and not a Hard drive.* The battery that comes with the M31, when turned on after a fresh recharge, shows 98 minutes of battery time. The actual "real world" time you'll get will be dependent upon how much your zooming, re-playing recordings and overall "on" time. One could expect to have, safely, 60 minutes of recording time.

The Canon BP-827, after a fresh charge, shows 314 minutes (5hrs 14 mins) worth of battery. The same cavet applies from above, and one could expect a solid 4hrs of recording time during real usage.

Yes, the battery is pricey ($120) but the fact is: You ARE going to run out of battery when you consider how long most events you'll be recording are. Soccer games, European trips, weddings, high school graduations, etc. 1hr of battery is just not going to cut it for the majority of situations. The M31's included 1hr battery will make a great backup battery to give you an extra hour of recording.

I decided on the Canon brand battery despite there being "generic/cheaper" ones out there. I was just very wary of the fact that they are built to possibly different specs, may/may not be able to be charged while in the camera, if it has logic that stops it from charging once it reaches a full charge and may not be able to handle a large quantity of recharges. Canon is a solid brand that I completely trust. It's up to you if you want to roll the dice.

It's really hard to tell how big the battery is just from the pictures here. When I got the battery out of the box, I almost thought I ordered the wrong thing because it was TINY! Of course, my M31 hadn't arrived yet, so I wasn't sure how big the original was. It's about 2.5 times longer than the orginal battery, which is incredibly tiny.

The larger battery does stick out from the back of the camera about 2", but doesn't impede any of the functions. To start/stop recording, your thumb, which would normally glide right across the back to the button, does have to go "around" the larger battery, but it's not a big deal.

Also, some may think the larger battery jutting out doesn't look as "sleek" or "cool". I think it looks fine. The battery is a nice matte black, with rounded edges and fits well, in my opinion. What doesn't look sleek or cool to me is having to carry around 3-4 extra batteries and stopping to swap out your dead battery every hour just so it looks "cool". That's gonna get old, really quick!

I also got the external charger, Canon CG-800, also a bit pricey for my tastes at $50. From what I've read, the charger cuts recharging time down about an hour. Besides, as you're battery is off to the side charging, you can still walk around and record with your backup battery. Otherwise, you'll be tethered to the wall as your battery charges directly inside the camera. Definitely check that out as well.

On the upside, if/when you upgrade the camera, if you stick with the Canon Vixia line, your batteries and charger will still work and it will be one less thing you'll have to purchase later.

All in all, I'm very happy with this product and purchase, even despite it's high cost. Somethings, you just have to spend the money on because they are necessary evils.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations