5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprisingly Competent & Affordable Wireless Multifunction Printer
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:35 Mins
I own an older model PIXMA iP3000 that I've been very impressed with and the MG5220 doesn't change my opinion. If anything, I am even more impressed with its design, features and performance. Out of the box it is attractively styled and has a compact footprint. Installing the software and setting up a wireless connection on my home network was a...
Published on November 3, 2010 by Kort

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not what you are looking for
I am writing this review for those who, like me, needed a copier scanner but are not able to spend 5 months researching it. If you are an expert, please pass by; but if you are part of the general buying public, learn from my mistakes, if you can.

The machine promises nice features. It wasn't that easy to set up, but it could be done without too much...
Published on May 10, 2011 by readersf

‹ Previous | 110 11 1270 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon PIXMA MG5220, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-in-One (4502B017) (Office Product)
This is a good all-round printer for the home "heavy user" or a small business. It works as advertised. I would purchase it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, October 1, 2011
hummingbird314 (TX United States) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research before buying this printer to replace an older model Canon Pixma all in one that lasted 5 years. I almost bought an Epson because of the great print quality I saw at a store but I also didn't want to hastle with the end of life counter. We've had this printer for almost 2 months.
This printer was very easy to set up. The wireless connection was no problem at all and it immediately found our network. Wireless printing from several computers throughout a 2 story house has worked flawlessly.
Color pictures are good quality and we have already used it several times for the kids school projects. I would definately buy this printer again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer....Recommend.....but a couple of minor quirks...., September 6, 2011
Sarah Hoke (Redwood City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
So, my house is so small that I finally decided to ditch the home office desk and desktop and go with a laptop. The problem was, I still needed to print and didn't want to have to tether my laptop to a printer each time I wanted to print something. Also, the kids like to print off the netbook and other wireless devices from time to time. A WiFi printer was definitely the way to go for me. I chose this Pixima to replace my aging hard-wired HP. I've had it up and running for about six months now and I'm very happy. Here are the pros and cons so far:

Pros:
**Very nice quality printing (I have not yet tried high-res photos on photo paper, so I cannot attest to that); documents and images are crisp; good colors.
**Fast printing; spits out both B&W and color docs quickly.
**Ability to replace individual color cartridges; better than having to do the whole lot at once. (Also see comment in Cons below).
**WiFi works great and was easy to set up and establish a connection. (Also see comment in Cons below).
**Copying is a snap; options for both color and B&W copies.
**Scanning is a breeze and is very quick; this hasn't been the case with previous home scanners I've tried.
**Great value for a really good all-in-one; especially when all of the all-in-one features actually work; with other devices sometimes printing is great, but scanning or copying is cumbersome. Not so with this one -- all three work great. This is a great price for all that you get.
**Looks great. I actually have this on a table in the corner of my living room. It's stylish and doesn't look like I have a garish piece of office equipment in my living area. The trays and monitor all fold down, so it just looks like a shiny black box in the corner. (Though I do need to dust it frequently-LOL.)

Cons:
**Instructions/instruction manual. I agree with other reviewers that the easy set up manual is a little too basic and doesn't do justice to all the nice features on this machine. You can access the full PDF manual on the Canon website, but that brings me to my second Con.
**Canon support website/help menus are lacking. The website is diffifult to navigate and get the information you need. Also see my comment below about WiFi. Troubleshooting is more difficult than it needs to be.
**Ink is expensive. This is true. But isn't this the case with all inkjet printers? And you only need to replace individual cartridges as they run out, so you don't necessarily need to put out the money for all ink cartridges at once if you don't want to. The cartridges that come with the machine are already at lower levels than those bought at full retail, so it wasn't surprising that those ran out quickly. (Note: This is the same as with any other printer, so Canon is no worse than other manufaturers in this regard.)
**WiFi connectivity drops from time to time. I'm not sure why, but connectivity just seems to drop for no reason every now and then. This seems confined only to the printer and not other devices, so I'm not sure I can blame my router. The printer would indicate it was connected, but nothing was happening and my PC couldn't find the printer. The first couple of times this happened I ended up reinstalling my drivers at the advice of the Canon website help menu. After awhile I finally had a "duh" moment and simply powered down and restarted my router and this did the trick (despite the fact that the printer said it was connected and every other WiFi device was working). Again, probably a "duh" moment on my behalf, but that should have been the *first* suggestion on the help menu. Lesson learned.
**No USB cable included. Sure you can just buy a cheap one anywhere, or may already have one lying around, but this is a little frustrating because if your issue is WiFi connectivity you cannot run the diagnostics unless your machine is tethered to your computer via USB, then you are SOL unless you have a cable. In my case, I had a paper for my kids due and I lost connectivity and didn't have a USB cable on hand, which thus led me to go to the Canon website and thus having to unnecessarily reinstall my drivers. Suggestion to anyone who owns a computer of any kind - always have a USB cable on hand.

That being said, I'm still giving this printer a four-star review. I can really only take away stars for the unsupportive website and the lack of a USB cable. Otherwise, the printer works great, has great features, is a good value, and puts out high-quality documents. Overall, I'm really pleased with this printer and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best printer I have ever used, let alone owned., August 11, 2011
Back in June, Amazon offered me $30 off the price of this printer. My old printer had broken and I was looking for a new one, but this MG5220 was well out of my price range without the deal Amazon offered. With the $30, it was the perfect price and left the competition in the dust. I've found it to be everything it promises to be in the product description.

It was very carefully packaged - perhaps more carefully than necessary - and then quite easy to set up. The wireless function will be great when I go back to school; being able to put it anywhere should help alleviate those dorm-room space constraints.

Print quality is excellent. I'm a photographer and while I don't often work with prints, it's nice to have the option occasionally. This is the third "photo" printer I've owned (first Epson, then HP, now this Canon), but it is the first that I've felt did justice to my photos. As for copies, in many cases I find the copy looks better than the original!

The speed of the printer is comparable to other nice ones I've owned, possibly a bit faster. The lapse between hitting the Print button on my computer and the printer beginning to respond is comparable to wired printers, but the actual print speed is indeed faster. Copies and scans are so fast it often surprises me how quickly they are done.

One drawback of this printer is that it is LARGE. It's quite a bit bigger than my old HP Photosmart C4650. It is about 18" wide, 20" deep with the trays open, and 6" tall (not including the rear tray, which adds another 6"). All those measurements are entirely approximated, I did not grab a measuring tape. Still, the wireless function makes size less crucial, since it doesn't necessarily have to take up all that space on a desk. It is a very well-built printer not prone to falling apart in the way that some I have used are.

I don't find this very important, but as printers go it is an attractive one. Sleek glossy black with rounded sides, neat little lit buttons and a nice tilting screen. Dust magnet, though, as it seems they all are.

I have not needed to replace the ink in this printer yet, but did my homework in advance and it looks like it's about average. Around $13 for a black ink cartridge. It takes separate cartridges for each color. Off-brand cartridges are very cheap and I will probably opt for those when the time comes. Allow me to take this moment for those of you who are reading and advise you to research the price of replacement ink for any printer you consider buying. Not doing so is something like buying a car without considering its fuel efficiency.

Happy hunting in your printer-buying quest. I highly recommend this one, even at $100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Value, June 9, 2011
Easy setup! Just set up printer in the bedroom.. removed all the tape, inserted the ink cartridges, and ran a quick alignment test with paper that was provided. WIfi detection was easy! Just went through the quick menu options on the LCD screen and it found my network without a glitch. Walked over to my computer (in another room) and ran the installation cd. Went through network setup, installed all the drivers, rebooted machine and printed out a test page (yahoo map directions). Printed in under a minute.

the coolest thing about this though is not how stylish it was, it wasn't how easy it was to set up, hell.. it wasn't even the super low price i got it for (i paid under $89 for this!). It was the mobile app on my Android Phone. I installed the APP and viewed a picture of my kids that i wanted to print out. I hit print, it searched for printers in the network and it found it. Told it how many copies (1 -- it was just a test) and the picture came out AMAZING. I mean wow! This was done on my phone! Needless to say, my "test" photo of my children is now hanging in my cubicle. My coworkers couldn't believe the quality (2 of them already asked me for the make and model of printer).

I'm very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION..., May 24, 2011
I have not had a printer for several years now, due to quality concerns over photo printing. the last one that i owned was a lexmark all in one, and although it seemed okay for the time, just did not have the functions that we have now and today, but after extensive research, i settled on the CANON PIXMA MG5220. after its arrival today which took about a week to get it, i pulled it from the box, and WOW... it was like a sleek black cadilac! With a glossy finish it is an attractive machine, however we all know that looks can be very deceiving... however... this is not my experience with this printer. After installing the ink, i calibrated and aligned the printer, and connected to my in home network... two words...

NO PROBLEM... like i said i have researched to find the best printer for me, and even website reviews said that the wifi was difficult and somewhat time consuming... this was not the case for me.

i have yet to test photos on the photo paper that comes with this (yes comes with it, you get 10 4x6 photo paper with this, obviously canons was of being confident you can start printing photos right out of the box.)

ALSO... IT COMES WITH INK... i was not sure about this but another amazon user told me it did. It not only connects wirelessly but also through LAN which at least one HP i looked at did not have that option... however it does not come with a LAN cable so make sure you invest in that.

another feature i like is the paper tray... which pulls out and is located underneath the front, which saves a lot of space from the front if you dont have the extra room or are near a walkway. One note on space though is that the printer is big... make sure you have ample space to place it on... a shelf, no... an end table yes.

the phone feature is great, i have a droid incredible and tested that as well, which works great... make sure for droid you download the canon easy print from the marketplace... and it is no cost.

i have printed a photoshop project on plain paper, and even that looks beautiful, like i said i have not photo printed yet, but intend to soon.

i also like the interface of the screen, it is easy to maneuver around with wheel scroller, and it simple enough to understand.

canon does it again in my book and i am pleased overall with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great so far!, March 7, 2011
I purchased this printer to replace a Epson Picturemate that did well for over 4 years and 1000's of photos. I did not like any of the Epson line so I went with the Canon mg5220. The main reasons I bought it were the positive reviews on photo quality, wireless, and the ability to print sizes other than 4x6. The setup was very simple but the printer did take about 5 minutes to charge up with ink and perform an alignment. The software installation was straight forward and so was the wireless setup. This printer is amazingly fast. The estimate of 20sec for a 4x6 print were right on and the quality was fantastic. I did have to tweek the color setting but once I found the menu that was also easy. I am not sure how much ink will cost per print but a will add my findings later. As for the scanner and copier I do not see myself using these on a regular basis. The small screen on the printer is a nice feature and functions well.

After my wife's first round on 4x6 scrapbooking, I still love this printer. It printed over 100 4x6 photos and some other misc. color printing jobs before I had to replace the 3 color ink tanks. The 2 Black tanks are more the half full still. It seems to be as good a value as my Picturemate was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All-in-One for under $100, but Ink costs too much!, March 4, 2011
Great All-in-One for under $100, but Ink costs too much!
Hard to decide whether to spend $65 on ink tanks or toss the printer and buy a new one for $90!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure I was keeping (updated), March 4, 2011
Chet Marino (Walnut Creek, CA USA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE: 12-9-12, After about a year and a half, I had to toss the printer because the print head clogged and I was no longer able to print any black text (just photos) and even though the scanner and copier worked fine, the printer was of no use to me like this. Major bummer. I tried every trick in the book to unclog the print head but nothing worked. A new print head costs around $70 for this printer and at that rate, I'm better off just buying a new one with a new warranty (I love how they know when to die, always after the warranty period). I was buying 3rd party ink to save ink costs for this printer and I am not certain if that was the cause of my problem or if it was something else, so I will probably be less inclined to go with third party ink in the future. Another issue with me is that I didn't always use the printer on a regular basis and it might sit unused for a month at a time. Prior to the Canon, I had a Dell printer that ended up with a clogged print head that I needed to ditch (that's when I bought the Canon). I'm not sure if ink jet printers have more of a tendency to develop clogged print heads the longer they sit unused, but I suspect that may have something to do with it. When I buy my next one, I guess I need to make sure I print something out of it at least once a week. I think it's ridiculous that I wasn't able to replace the part for around $20 and had to throw out a printer that still functioned in order to buy a new one creating more environmental waste and for this reason, I will not purchase another Canon. Maybe they are all like this, I don't know, but in looking at the print head replacement, all I saw was something that was mostly plastic. The printer companies shoot themselves in the foot if they think offering replacement parts at an affordable price is going to take their business away because all it did for me was want to buy a different brand, and chances are if I had replaced the part, I would have gone back using the Canon brand ink out of fear of another clog. I expect things will eventually break down, and considering what I paid for the printer to begin with, I certainly didn't expect it to last forever, but breaking down after a month and a half is way too soon in my book.

_________

I had a hard time at first getting the printer to stay connected to my network. It would come and go. I called Cannon support and although I didn't get sent to India (this was Baltimore) the woman I spoke with was useless. I have a NetGear Dual Band 2.4 / 5.0 speed router and she kept telling me I needed to use the 2.4 speed ??? Anyway, that wasn't the problem. It's in the same room as my router with nothing in-between except space -- maybe about 14 feet away and I couldn't understand why it wouldn't keep a signal and connection. I assigned it a static IP address and that seems to have done the trick -- will occasionally go offline and not come back but a reboot usually fixes.

I find the scanning to be pretty slow.

Print quality is good, a little slow, but then, it's an ink jet.

All in all, for the price you can't beat it. Again, I wasn't sure I was keeping it until it finally started staying connected to my network and I think making it have a static IP was the reason for this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Feature-rich Printer, February 15, 2011
I came from having an Epson laserjet printer that has been just excellent (workhorse that prints thousands of pages in crisp great clarity on single cartridge), but that is showing it's age. It is over 15 years old and only supports parallel cable, so connectivity to all my evolving computer hardware has been difficult. Finally, I had nothing left to run it (thought of getting a parallel print buffer), but got an HP 750xi multifunction scanner/injet printer. I've hated this for years. It works ok, but it ALWAYS needed the heads calibrated, new ink and driver support for Win7 is still nonexistant and I've not been able to use it for almost a year, now. So, I was going to avoid HP this time.

Set this Canon up last night and if it hadn't been for a perplexing error on the door not being closed (it was, but there is some small bar/latch device inside that wasn't clipped tight) and the irritating wifi setup not working, this would have been a VERY fast setup. Got past the problem with the bar inside to let it center the cartridge head to install the ink/print head. Let it calibrate/clean and then went to setup the wifi. Well, it would see the ESSID fine, but it couldn't connect to the WEP settings no matter how many times I tried or even went through advanced. Triple checked all the keys...good. Finally decided to try resetting the router (even though I was using the wireless on 4 other units at the time just fine). Did that, and it connected just fine (strange). Not sure that is the Canon's fault or the router, but I've never had this issue with any other peripherial on this router...

Got to be able to try some prints. First, this thing is LOADS faster than the HP 750xi. Black and white prints come CHUNKING out in big steps (not the endless back and forth a militmeter at a time). Print quality looks fine, but I'm really going to be looking at how it does over time (ink demand and calibration setup retention). Printed two 4x6 photos of the wife and kids on the supplied photo paper, and OMFG! Beautiful. I am astonished at what a printer for the average consumer at this price will do. I know a lot of it is in the paper, which is expensive, but...WOW. And FAST... I'm going to try to print the same photos on standard 8.5x11 paper, just to see how that looks too.

The menu navigation is a bit non-intuitive, but not horrible. Just sort of feels like when you have your y-axis backwards in a FPS and your instinct isn't the way it works...LOL. I keep wanting to use the arrow keys to navigate the nice color LCD display rather than the 3 hot menu keys. Sometimes you use the menu keys, sometimes the arrow keys...blech. But the step by step guide on the display is awesome. If I hadn't hit the two glitches above, I wouldn't have even needed the manual (even then, the manual didn't help with anything).

Scanning seems ok, even via WiFi. It doesn't "push" scans to computers over wifi (has to be USB connected..which was a little disappointing), but you can initiate scans from any computer with image software or the supplied software. I normally hate installing all the bloat-ware that comes on these disks and try to just install the bare minimum drivers. Well, both Win7 and Vista recognized the device as a PnP network device and downloaded drivers for scanner, printer, etc. I went ahead and installed the full software on the kid's machine and will play with the creative park software and some other stuff, but happy to say, the printer installs and functions just fine in native Win7/Vista without any additional software, leaving you free to use your own image software and not go trying to duplicate the OS function of having a "My Scans" and "My Documents" control for you in the custom Canon software. Going to have to see how fast I can scan 4x6 photos, as it seems like it takes a little time over wifi compared to direct connect (I may dongle a USB to see if that helps speed, as I have thousands of photos to still scan in).

I haven't made a photo copy yet or tried dual sided printing, but will, and based on the reviews I've seen and the print and scan quality have very little concerns. There are a lot of additional customizations you can do buried in the menus, but I want one touch printing and scanning for most of my things. The built in drivers and preview screens work great and there are tons of features for setting up different operations and profiles. It seems to select the proper paper source with photo stock and standard stock in the two feeds. I like that even with the built-in Windows drivers, you can really change a LOT of options, and even check a 'preview before printing' box that pulls up a pretty good summary of the preview, the paper source, etc.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1270 | Next ›