on October 21, 2011
The MG6200 is a lot of printer (and scanner, and copier...) for the purchase price.

On features and quality, I'd give it 5 stars. The scan and print quality are excellent, and the included applications for scanning/printing are adequate. It can connect via USB, wired network, or wireless network (and I've tried all three).

There is no automatic document feeder (ADF), even as an optional accessory, so keep that in mind if you have lots of multi-page documents to scan. Paper handling is great, especially the automatic duplexing.

It also supports Apple Airprint flawlessly, so printing from iPhone and iPad is wireless and quick. I did have to download and upgrade the printer firmware to get this working, but I assume shipping units will come with the updated firmware very soon.

Now, for my big complaint, and why it gets 3 stars instead of 5. If you let this printer set for a day, then initiate a print, it automatically executes a cleaning cycle EVERY TIME. Not only does this process delay printing by a couple minutes (which seems like forever), it wastes a HUGE amount of ink. Like most every inkjet, the ink cartridges are small and expensive -- but this printer exacerbates that by wasting ink on unneeded cleaning cycles EVERY DAY. So even though I've used the printer VERY lightly over the last 3 weeks, and printed less than 50 pages (and only two photos) total, the ink cartridges are over half empty. That amounts to about $35 worth of ink for 50 pages! At 70 cents per page, this is one expensive printer.

My previous inkjet (Canon Pixma ip5000) only executed a cleaning cycle if it had been powered off, or if you manual requested it. I had to clean it perhaps once or twice per year -- not 365 times per year, which is essentially what the MG6220 is doing. At first I thought it might be due to the "auto power off" setting, but I set this to "Never" so the printer would never power itself off (and it is on a UPS, so no power interruptions). Nevertheless, it still executes a cleaning cycle at least once per day and I can hear the sound of a cash register every time it does so. (*** See 11/28/11 update, below ***)

The second gripe is driver support. For WindowsXP, the driver does not properly support network scanning via TWAIN/WIA interfaces. The included Canon scanning software works, but any third party software (like the check scanning service my bank offers) will only work if you plug the MG6220 directly into the USB port. And on Vista, while you can get TWAIN/WIA to function over network, it requires manual installation steps (buried in the user's manual) that should be automated by Canon's driver installer. I wish Canon would hire some driver developers from Brother, because the drivers with my Brother MFC-8890DW Laser supported all of this, including network scanning on XP, completely automatically on XP, Vista, and Windows7.

I guess I can forgive the driver issues on XP, because XP is getting pretty long in the tooth and I can accept that Canon doesn't want to spend the extra software development time. As well, the manual steps on Vista are pretty minor (although many consumers will have a hard time with it). But the effective cost-per-page, due to the daily cleaning cycle (***), will make cost-of-ownership for this printer unaffordable for many.

*** 11/28/11 Update ***
I have printed less than 50 pages (most black and white text), and the printer is complaining that two of the ink cartridges -- Cyan and Gray -- are almost empty. However, I did find a solution to the daily (or more) ink-wasting cleaning cycles mentioned above.

The automatic cleaning cycle appears to be triggered by either of two things: If the printer itself has lost power (not just turned off, but unplugged / power outage), *OR* if the USB-attached computer has been rebooted or power cycled. After either of those events, the printer will execute a cleaning cycle the next time a print job is sent to it.

I disconnected the USB cable and setup that computer to print via wireless network a few days ago. I haven't seen the automatic cleaning occur since. Hopefully this will slow the ink usage somewhat.

*** 8/19/12 Update ***
Keeping the printer "powered" and on wireless reduces the cleaning cycles, but does not eliminate them. I have not pinned down the exact pattern, but it seems it throws in a cleaning cycle any time you haven't printed for a few days, and sometimes just seems to throw one in at random. It is possible these cycles are actually needed for print quality to get rid of partially dried ink on the head -- so I can't fault Canon for doing the cleanings, but they sure do use up the ink! Quality is still excellent, but cost-per-page is pretty high.
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 8, 2011
I bought this printer from Amazon so I could print from my iPad. Replaced a prefectly good MP 560. This is the fourth Canon printer I have owned over the last few years. I have always liked their printers over other brands because of their quality: printing and mechanical. While this one (MG 6220) prints beautifully, the ink consumption is outrageous. I have printed maybe 20-30 pages so far, mostly black and white. No photo's. The cyan, magenta and grey tanks are already half empty and the yellow is 1/3 empty. Both blacks still show 100%. Reading other reviews stating the cleaning function is kicked off after the printer is powered down (verified by Canon tech support), I have left it on. It it only WiFi connected. Every time I print, it takes one plus minutes while the printer clunks along, apparently cleaning the heads. That is the other irritating part, waiting so long for one page to print. I talked to Canon Support yesterday for 20 minutes. The support person did sort of admit that this printer cleans it's heads more often. He said that the printer comes with "complimentary" ink because they know that the setup procedure uses a lot of ink. He gave me the phone number of a local Authorized Service Center so I could take the printer to be checked. But, after reading other reviews, here and on other sites, it appears to me that this printer has an ink consumption problem that Canon needs to address.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2011
Prospective buyers: Note that the dimensions of this printer are incorrect as listed on the Canon website, and these errors get reproduced on other sites. The Canon site seems to have reversed the width and depth. The width of this printer is actually about 18.5 inches, not 15.6 inches, and the depth front-to-back is about 15 inches, not 18.5 inches. This was important for my desk space, and it may help others.

UPDATE: after using this for several weeks, I can state it is an excellent printer in almost every way. HOWEVER, as others have noted, beware the rapid ink usage, which I am comparing vs. three other inkjets I have owned. I have printed a single 4 by 6 photo, and then every other use has been simple plain paper documents on the ink-saving "fast" setting. After a fairly limited number of pages (sorry, I did not keep track, other than to try to not use the printer much -- have not refilled the paper tray yet), I am getting low ink warnings on the grey ink, with others soon to follow. According to a Canon rep, the grey ink is apparently used more than black when printing on "fast." So much for conserving ink. Canon suggests using the "grey scale" setting if you want to save Grey ink, which is counterintuitive to me. They also told me that the printer will probably disable all printing if one of the tanks is empty, and there is no way to override this. Disappointing
CONCLUSION: Even though I am a Canon loyalist, based on my experience so far, I would advise against using this as your "routine" printer for everyday usage, as the ink depletion and costs seem frightfully high. Guess it is back to my old cheapo Brother multifunction for most routine printing and copying, and save the Canon for special jobs. I will update as experience lengthens.

Addendum Dec 15, 2011: The low ink warnings come very early and persist for many many printed pages. Yesterday my grey ink finally ran out, which was 8 weeks and about 75 pages after the low ink warning. I was using the above settings to save ink. Anyway, the ink usage is not as awful as I originally thought, but still not very good. Otherwise a fabulous scanner/copier/printer.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2012
I've had this printer for three weeks now and have had the opportunity to try most of its features. It is replacing a Canon MPS 790 which went after 8 good years. Here's the run down:

- Set up was fairly straight forward (I used the wireless set up). Lots of tape to remove, be sure not to miss anything and DO follow the unpacking instructions. You can damage the printer if you don't, quite easily. Be warned this printer does take a while to do its initial set up. It's automatic, but I've never seen anything quite like it. Good thing you only do this once. After that, you still have to insert a piece of paper (included) and do the head alignment. Wi-Fi set up was a snap! After I added it to my home network my desktop and two laptops detected it immediately. Running Windows 7, it pulls the drivers right away, but you might want to use those on the installation disk if you want to add the Canon software suite (more on this later).

- Printing is great, nice and crisp. It tells you the ink levels when you do print, but you can check anytime. As some mentioned here, I turned off Green mode, leave the printer on all the time, and don't use USB to the computer, and I haven't seen the head cleaning (ink wasting) issues that some have seen. Still all the ink levels are full, and I've printed about 20 pages, 2 full color photos a CD. I don't understand the folks that have shaking/noise issues. This printer is very quiet. No vibration. I only hear when it first starts an operation then it's quiet, until it finishes pushing the document out. The photos were vibrant and true to color. The CD I printed on was awesome! Looked VERY professional. One thing about printing on a CD... its a bit complicated. You start the CD printing process first... then set up the printer when it indicates it's ready. You open the front of the printer pull down a small, not very well marked handle, then push the stand-alone CD tray (which is a thin piece of plastic)in until it aligns with a white arrow on the tray and the slot. Then you press OK on the printer, and it sucks the tray in and prints. Quickly I might add. Be sure to return the printer to its regular state afterward (remove CD tray and close handle).It also prints on the mini disks too. You do need printable CDs/DVDs. I highly recommend this printer for this feature alone. The duplex printing (front and back) is a very nice feature, and will save much paper on bigger jobs. My printer is upstairs in a separate room from the wireless(N) router and I have no issues printing from a downstairs laptop.

- Scanning is good. I say good because it doesn't have an auto feeder, but the results are nice. After it warmed up (just a few seconds), I had to look to see if it was still working, it was that quiet.

- Copying is also nice and crisp. Your choice color or B/W.

- The touch controls look great but are sensitive. They illuminate as they are needed according to selected function, which is nice. Most of the commands can be done from your computer once it's set up. The main exception being printing a CD, which you need to be close by the printer to do. Even the front pops open when you print encase you forgot, to catch your document/photo. The paper feeder is in a tray out of sight, but you can also use a feeder tray in the back (which hides out of sight when not in use) if you like. This is great for envelopes, photo paper, or if you have different sized or thicker paper. For a smooth feed you will probably only want to keep regular paper in the bottom tray, as it can't handle thick paper there. The small screen is adequate and the memory card location is convenient, too.

- The included software is a mixed bag. The set up (drivers, etc.) is good and it allows you to skip the printers network set up if you have done it once on another computer in your home network. The photo software is a little weak. The good news is if you have Adobe Elements or Light Room, there's a plug-in included for those. You may prefer your own software. The printer software is divided up depending on what you want to do by printing, photo, CD, and scanning. The scanning software is OK, nothing fancy. It does let you save your scan as a jpeg or convert to a pdf. CD printing software is nice, but I wish it had more templates. Not sure how well it works with third party CD printing software. The one I made with the Canon software was dead center perfect. The overall layout of the software could be better, but I believe you will like the end results.

- What I haven't tested is the AirPrint or the Google email print. I have no use for these features at this point so check another review of these if you are interested. I'm very happy with this purchase and hope it will be as durable as the printer it's replacing.

UPDATE: After a long period of showing low ink level indicators on all but the large black ink tank (over a month), the blue (cyan) tank finally went empty on Dec. 24, 2012. I'm quite impressed with the ink consumption. I've printed perhaps a 100 pages both B/W and color combined, around a dozen or so fully color, high quality photos (4x6 abd 8x10), and quite a few CD's. For such small tanks they did well for average home use.

The CD printer has proved to be a bit clumsy to use, especially when printing multiple CD's. You have to close the CD tray door and reset for the next CD, then open it back up again. Also don't forget to close the CD door when you are finished printing or next time you print, your job will be held up until you do. All in all I'm pretty happy with this printer.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I own and am very happy with the Canon PIXMA MG5220 so when the opportunity to test and review the latest version of the scanner/copier/printer presented itself, I jumped at the chance. Where it matters, there isn't much of a difference between the MG6220 and the MG5220. In my book, that's a good thing. The MG5220 is already an amazing home printer so I'm glad Cannon didn't mess too much with a proven formula. The print options, wireless capability, print quality and basic layout are pretty much the same. I'm running OSX 10.5.8 and have had no real issues setting it up and using this peripheral. It took about 45 minutes from the un-boxing, through the calibration, to after the drivers installed before it was up and running. Responsiveness seems to be improved, and functionality is as good or better than the previous model. The new centralized layout and incorporated buttons are nice, but don't really give much more of an advantage over the old configuration. It is an aesthetic improvement though, if that matters to you.

The number of inks, removable media slots, paper handling, and the location of the paper drawers and scan bed are more or less in line with the previous model, so there are no surprises for MG5220 users. I had the opportunity test an Epson Artisan 730 alongside the MG6220. Both printers are very similar when it comes to functionality and target market, but there are a few things that set them apart. The Canon has a photo black an extra grey ink for richer black and white prints. But place two color prints side by side and they look much the same. If you want to print a lot of B&W images, then the Canon should be your choice. Set-up and use was a bit easier (for me) with the Canon, and the Epson is a heavier and larger printer, though not by much. Both also function comparably as scanners and copiers. I've yet to test the Canon's HD movie clip or CD/DVD printing aspect, but it is nice to have that capability.

If you want a compact printer/scanner/copier that is easy to use and has great features and image quality, then I would not hesitate to recommend the MG6220. If you are a satisfied MG5220 owner and have worn out your old printer, then this upgrade should be a no-brainer.

~ Kort
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2012
Hi all, I don't have this printer but I do have an IP4820 and an MG6120, both which use the same ink as this. After getting tired of the ink expense I started experimenting with non-OEM ink and have to say that I believe I found a good replacement. I no longer even worry about the expense of what I am printing because the ink is so cheap. Go here 6 Pack US Patent Canon PGI-225 BK CLI-226 BK C M Y GY compatible ink cartridges (With CHIPS Now!) for Canon PIXMA MG8120, MG6120 printers and you can get five (5) sets of all six cartridges for $25 and get free shipping. The color is perfect, the heads don't clog and they work as well otherwise as the OEM tanks. The only thing they don't have is the 25-year photo fade warranty. OK, seriously, what are you going to do if a photo fades? Call them and complain? In 25 years are you still going to be able to prove that you used their ink. Ha! Just get these and you won't look back!

Update: forgot to mention, if you are a Costco member get their Kirkland photo paper. It has a nice pearl white surface and canon printers work well with it, AND it's the cheapest gross package you can find for quality paper!
on October 14, 2011
UPDATED 2/28/2012

ORIGINAL POST:
I literally just set up this printer. Installation was easy and took about 20 minutes. So far, so good. We'll be using it largely for printing text, school projects, etc. But I will also printing photos for scrapbooking when I only have relatively few to print and don't want to wait for mail order or don't want to drive to my local retailer to use their photo kiosk. For my purposes, the print quality looks good on text documents and excellent on photos (Since I'm a scrapbooker so photo quality is important to me.) It prints quickly enough for my needs.

But one weird thing that I think I've read elsewhere is that the printer shakes the desk when it prints a text page. My desk is large, made of solid wood and filled with files, extra paper and other supplies so you would think it would stand still as the printer runs. Printing a color web page was quick and quiet. But when I did the text page, the printer was a little clunky and loud and it made my desk shake as the page was printed. Unfortunately, I didn't print a text page in the store when I was doing my research. I might have chosen a different printer if I had known, but it's not annoying enough (yet?) to make me mad.

I'll be moving the printer to a separate stand anyway because the printer is so large, but I hope the printer doesn't make that stand shake as well. I only gave it 4 stars because of the shaking. How many others are having this problem?

UPDATING: 11/1/11
Uses color ink even when printing in grey scale! I printed a number of pages today for the first time since I got the printer. I've printed about 50 or so pages of text that have large amounts of white space. The ink levels on the color ink tanks were the same when I started, but when I was done, the ink levels in the cyan and magenta were low and had warnings on them. How could the color ink run low when I made it a point to choose greyscale printing on every job? I noticed that the printer does some kind of adjustment between jobs. I hope these aren't cleaning cycles. As someone else pointed out, the cleaning cycles use up ink, including color,each time it happens. Yikes! Revising my rating from 4 stars to 3. I'm starting to regret this purchase. And yes, it also shakes the solid wood media stand that it sits on. What is up with that?

UPDATING: 2/28/12
I've only had this printer since October and I just bought my 3rd set of cartridges - all the colors and blacks. And I've printed fewer than 100 4 x 6 photos! This thing really does hog up ink even if you mostly print black and white text. I called Canon Support and they told me that the printer uses the color ink to make a composite black. Why would they do that? There are two black ink cartridges in this printer. I assumed one was for text and one was for photos. According to Canon Support you can change the printer settings to not use the color ink to make black. I encourage you to call and complain that these aren't the default settings and ask them how to set your printer up to print using the black ink for black and white pages!!! And beware that your print quality may not be good based on their instructions. They won't tell you that you have to play with the "custom" settings to set the print quality to a higher quality. Even at the higher quality setting, they text is not the dark black you get from the composite black that uses up so much ink. I wish that I had not purchased this printer.
on February 5, 2012
I've never seen anything quite like it but Canon has purposefully programmed this printer to clean itself (or eject ink into the collection sponge) constantly. When you load up a new paper tray, reboot the computer, reboot or power on the printer, basically any interaction with the computer or printer forces a one minute cleaning cycle. The result? An unbelievable amount of wasted ink. I can confirm what others here are writing, your ink disappears right before your eyes. Must return this printer now!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 8, 2012
Im an artist and I print small highly detailed images. This printer is perfect - I can see the smallest fonts clearly even on regular paper (I usually use matte photo paper for my work). The print is amazingly sharp and clear. I just upgraded from a Pixma ip6000 which was wonderful as well. I'm very pleased with the color, detail, and crispness of the prints. It was super easy to set up on our wifi network at home. My only complaint is that I frequently run into "communication errors" between the printer and our basement router. The printer isn't really that far away from the router but I find myself re-entering the wifi password more times than I'd like. I'm not sure if it is a matter of distance, in which case I'll have to put the printer ON my living room sofa right ABOVE the router and serve it drinks too when company comes. It usually glitches at 7am in the morning right before the bus comes when the kids realize they haven't printed out last nights homework.

So...when the printer and the router are on speaking terms the printer works like a charm and I'm more than satisfied with the print.

Ink issues...I haven't had a problem. I've had the printer about a month now and the kids have printed out some pretty heavily colored projects and we're only just now noticing that one of the tanks is getting low. It isn't much different from ink usage for my old Pixma so I'm kind of used to changing cartridges. It is no where near as bad as I expected though.
on May 24, 2012
I've had inkjet printers from Epson, HP and Canon. Over the years, I've been leaning towards purchasing the Canons due to their print quality and reliability. I decided to replace my ip4000 photo printer and old Epson scanner with the MG6220 all-in-one photo printer. Since I recently purchased an ipad 2 and a pair of iphone 4Ss for my wife and I, the airprint feature was mighty appealing.

Out of the box, the wireless set up was not too difficult. Since I have an MAC filter set up on my home router, I needed to figure out what the printer's MAC address was. I couldn't find it on the printer itself or the documentation that came with it but found it in the on screen menu on the printer. After that, the printer worked flawlessly on my desktop PC. However when I tried to print from my iphone 4S and ipad 2, I was able to see the printer but when I sent a print job, I got a "printer is offline" message and nothing happened.

I did a quick search on the Canon site and it said to check the firmware version by printing a nozzle check. According to the Canon site, if it said version 2.000 at the bottom of the nozzle check printout, a firmware update was not necessary. You only need to update if no firmware version is printed. My printout said version 2.000 so the update was not needed (according to the instructions on the website). I made sure my printer was not set to "offline" and was set up on the correct port. I searched online for hours and for the life of me, I could not figure out the cause of the problem. I downloaded the Canon Easy-Photo print app and to my surprise, photos printed just fine from my iphone 4S. However, the airprint feature is supposed to allow users to print webpages, emails, documents, etc., not just photos.

I finally decided to run the firmware update for 2.000 even though my nozzle check said the printer was already on that version. I noticed that there was a new firmware version 3.020 on the Canon site that added Google Cloud support. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try updating it. After the update, I tried printing an email message from my phone. Lo and behold, it finally worked! I'm not sure, but something in the latest update fixed the printing problem I was having. If anyone out there has a similar problem, you may want to try updating the firmware to version 3.020, regardless of what the Canon site says.

Other than the problems setting up the airprint feature, the printer's performance is excellent. Photo and text print beautifully. The initial start up time on the first print job does take a little longer than my ip4000 but after that, pages print quickly. Since the printer is still new and I'm still using the starter ink cartridges, I cannot say how quickly it goes through the ink. From the other reviews I've read, it doesn't sound good but the reviews for printers from other manufacturers seem to say similar things so I'm not too concerned. I always buy quality 3rd party ink from LD anyways and never had a problem. The bottom paper tray and sheet feeder on the back seem to be made of thin, cheap plastic when compared to my previous printers but really, they don't need to be any stronger - just something I noticed and thought I would mention.

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase and expect to get good use out of it.

*****UPDATE*****

Its been a little over a month since I purchased the printer. I still use my old Canon ip4000 printer as my primary printer until I use up my remaining ink cartridges so I haven't been using the new MG6220 all that much. The printer is turned off when not in use so it will not waste ink with its daily automatic cleaning cycles. I've printed a total of eight photos on 4x6 paper and seven website pages on regular printer paper. I noticed that the ink monitor is showing less than half of my cyan, magenta, and yellow inks remaining. I was assuming these starter cartridges would be short lived but not this short. I'll post another update once I get a feel of how long replacement cartridges last.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations