on July 4, 2012
First, I will start by saying that this printer, when functional, prints beautiful photos and other color images. It also sets up relatively simply, if a bit slow due to all of the lengthy installs and setup processes.

Currently, those are my only positive comments. This printer drains ink like mad. Others have mentioned repeated 'clean cycles', I can't speak to that since I have it in another room and don't monitor it's every movement. However, I can say that I only managed to get about 30 pages out of the ink that came with the printer. Once the ink starts running low, it nags you incessantly to buy more ink. Ultimately you can hit OK (on the printer only, no way to bypass from the computer) to continue printing, for a few more pages. Once the ink runs out, YOU CANNOT USE THE PRINTER, SCANNER, or FAX for anything until you replace the ink. The printer becomes a worthless beeping lump until you put a new ink cartridge in. In my case, all 3 color inks ran out at the same time, costing me nearly $40 to replace them simply so I could use my printer again.

Another complaint, "grayscale" is a joke. No matter how many different options I tried, 'grayscale' would continue to print out pink (in my case, because blue and yellow were empty). It hardly used any of the GREY INK THAT IS IN THE PRINTER, nor either of the two black inks. So there I was, having THREE full black/grey ink cartridges in my printer, and I could only print in a healthy pink color until the ink was fully drained from the three color tanks and my printer became useless due to the complaint listed above.

Thirdly, I bought a set of replacement color ink from Target, hoping to have a functional printer once again. I made the mistake of buying the 221 ink instead of the 226. I thought, no biggie, I'll try it anyway. The ink carts were the same exact size, same plastic clip holding it in place, same size and positioning of the ink nozzle on the bottom, and same size, shape, and contact points on the microchip glued to the front. What could go wrong? Plenty, "wrong ink cartridge installed" was the only response. Why? Because canon says so. Just as a test, I simply swapped out the microchips. I took the chip from the 226 ink, and placed it onto the 221 ink. Previously the 221 ink reported 'wrong ink cartridge', now it is reporting 'out of ink', miraculously just like the 226 ink that was just replaced. Thus, the cartridges (or printer) are programmed with a set number of prints, not actual ink level. Multiple sources out there say you can swap the chips and reset the printer's counter so you can use a third party ink cartridge. You can't use canon's ink monitoring system that way, but considering it's a complete fabrication anyway, it doesn't particularly matter. I plan to use ink other than canon's from now on, potentially getting a new printer entirely for this complete breach of customer trust.

All in all, it is quite clear that Canon makes good printers. Just good enough to make you want to buy more and more and more ink.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have three computers with three different operating systems. I am a school teacher and have a personal Sony Vaio laptop and Google Chromebook and for school I have a iBook that I take back and forth and use for my class set of iPods. I need to be able to print from all OS's and unsurprisingly the Mac and Windows OS were easy to set up. Had the printer/scanner set up within an hour for printing and scanning. However, I cannot connect the printer to the Chromebook. I was excited because the Canon description I was under the assumption that it was connectable as it states "cloud ready" but I can't directly set-up the printer and can't set it up through google print either. I find this very frustrating.

The print quality is fantastic. The printer is fast and it does not make a lot of noise when it prints (which makes my dogs happy.) My favorite feature of this printer is the back-to-back printing feature. I've owned two wireless printers and I've never had this feature on a home printer. The machine itself is aesthetically pleasing, black and sleek. The paper is stored out of sight and I don't know how people with laptops print without a wireless printer. It is so convenient.

One thing I am mindful of is the cost of the ink. This machine uses the six-ink system and at this time those six inks will cost almost seventy dollars to replace. While the six ink system shows in the picture quality, if you are not using the printer to print pictures you can set the printer to only use black ink when printing black type [for documents and such].

I was really looking for a printer that would connect to the "cloud" I am hopeful that this one soon will have that capability as advertised. My review will be edited when that happens.

ETA on 4/14/12 I am still not able to print from my Chromebook. However, I received a new MacBook Pro and was annoyed at the thought of setting up this printer to the new laptop. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to see the printer listed in the print options. I was able to click on it and it located and downloaded the software needed to print from this computer. The whole process literally took 3 minutes and I was up and printing. I was very impressed!
on September 1, 2013
This printer is the single most frustrating thing in my life!!!! It CONTINUALLY cleans and cleans, and wastes endless amounts of ink doing so. It goes into a cleaning cycle before you print, and after you print, and again when you turn it off. I'm constantly waiting for the cleaning cycle to end, and you can't power it off to bypass the cleaning either, because that just starts another cleaning cycle!!! This is obviously a way for Canon to sell tons of ink, and it REALLY irritates me!!!!

I've no other piece of technology that I've ever come close to literally throwing out the window -- but this printer has come close so many times!!!!!

Ack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 17, 2014
All of the other reviews about this thing BLOWING through ink because of the constant cleaning cycles are accurate. I literally never actually print in colored ink-- my default is always set to black & white. Yet every two months I am somehow out of colored ink again (and I even tried the tips in the other reviews regarding turning off the sleep mode, etc.) Total failure by the Canon software team on this one, because while the other features might be great, the expense of the ink makes it an absolute piece of junk. I now run it as a black & white-only printer, leaving the colored tanks dry. What a disappointing waste of money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2013
I got this on special and was so excited that I bought one for my neighbor also and his print heads went out also so read the reviews before buying a printer but I would take this one off your list !
on December 15, 2013
Let me start out by saying - I am not a computer or tech novice, I build and maintain my own computers and networks.

Now, having said that - - After doing the touch screen setup and installing the drivers, when this printer did not work with a simple connection of the USB to the computer and trying to print from any program, . . .I turned to install the setup software. I don't usually like doing this, primarily because of the extra bloat programs that can come with the software. The setup & manual for this model is a combination of specific vagueness. (or you could say 'specific generalitys') And when it comes to troubleshooting, - the manual is the kind that tends to point you toward solutions like 'un plug and re-plug' or 'restart the computer'

My main problems were 1) printer constantly going 'offline' as I was trying to print 2) it would only print up to an 1/2 inch of a photo. I did the usual of re-installing drivers and re-connecting with no success. Canon's website Support was as useless as the manual, too general to be really helpful. But, having said that - they do have a Support call center 800-662-2666 that I will try tomorrow when they are open.

In the meantime - I may have found a couple of work-arounds. 1) I am plugged with USB directly into computer & not into a powdered hub. 2) in Canon's printer preferences - under 'Page Setup' select 'Print Options' and turn ON 'Prevention of Print Data Loss' - Unfortunately this option has to be selected with every photo, it does not default to your preference.

After having done these things, I did manage to print a text file and a photo. It still took longer than it should have. (not the printer speed - the configuration of printer preferences) Fortunately, the prints did match the resolution I was looking for. The photo looked as good as my previous Canon printer (ip4820).

When I do get to talk to a Canon Support rep - if I find that they are not sure why or how these things happen, I think this printer will have to be returned. I need something reliable that doesn't take a silly amount of time to fuss with.

I was not using this in a wireless mode, so I can 't speak to how it works in wireless. ( In fact I don't need wireless at all - but this model comes closest to the previous PIXMA model I was using, and the size I need Canon, Epson & HP all seem to have defaulted to Wireless All-In-Ones, . . . ) I am using the USB connection directly out of the printer.

I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: 12/27/13

It came down to the printer I had was one of those 1 in X# lemons. I have since replaced it with a new one, and all is working well.

HOWEVER, a couple of things to watch out for. First, make sure your MG6220 has the most current firmware (version 3.020). And, the MP Windows drivers
need to be current drivers that Microsoft offers.

In my case, because I prefer to connect this printer by USB hardwired, I found that the connection has to be directly to the computer itself. Even a powered USB hub allows for problems.

I'm going to keep this PIXMA MG6220 as it is the closest replacement to my previous Canon model, and the inks I have are compatible. We'll see how long
it lasts before the typical printhead/docking station failures that happen with ink jet printers of this kind. - As it has been mentioned, one way to prolong the life of these ink jets is to use it fairly regularly. (Although, that does drive up the cost of your use in ink.)

In addition to using a wired USB connection, the wireless, USB & Memory Card slots work very well for printing. The prints are very good for a consumer model.

UPDATE: 1/26/14

DON'T expect to turn this printer on and print right away. Initially it takes a good 3-4 minutes to warm up and go through it's processes. Once it has gone through it's warm up procedure - it still takes time with each printing job to finally print.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2013
I have looked all over the internet for way to fix this problem and I am about to trash this brand new printer. I always get "printer offline" in the My Printer status report. This is so tiresome, I have un-installed, re-installed, deleted, re-deleted, updated, EVERYTHING!!!
on December 29, 2012
After having this printer installed and used very seldom, Six days in fact, I was very surprised to get a low ink message. I contacted Cannon to inquire about this sudden message. I was advised that this is to be expected. I purchased this priinter after seeing the rating in Consumer Reports who rated the MG6220 10th out of 63 rated. I was very surprised to learn that it uses 6 small cartidges of ink which as it developes, do not last very long. The end result is the printing cost per page is very expensive.

Roy Watson
rcwflowers@verizon.net
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this in early October so we've had about 3 months of use. While both my wife and I have dedicated B&W laser printers for most work, we do use this for a good bit of color printing.

It is connected to our network and we both use it wirelessly with both desktops and laptops with a glitch so far. I've even tested it with my iPad printing a document, but don't anticipate using it a lot with that. I did print a photo directly from my iphone and it was quick and simple. (Photo print speed is not blazing, but it's not terribly slow, either, and the quality was fine for smapshots.)

It has quite a few features that are really nice (duplex printing, for example) besides the multi-purpose uses of printing and scanning -- all of which we've used when the need arose.

Setup was very easy, too.

I've also not noticed an unusual drop in ink levels considering the amount of printing that we have done. (We're still on the original ink cartridges with levels still about half full on all except the black cartirdge which is significantly higher.)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 22, 2012
I have not used it for pictures yet and that is one of the things I bought this printer for but for all other type printing it works great. In a house full of laptops, a wireless printer is the only way to go. And add three iPhones and an iPad and the air printing is extremely handy.

Also, I used this printer to address my Christmas card envelops. OK, I have been doing this for years with every printer I've owned but this one worked the best of any I have had before. Not once did more than one envelope feed through the printer at one time! Not a single messed up envelope. Big Yay!