5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer
Published on October 24, 2008 by Smart Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for OCR
Published on November 23, 2008 by D. Hudson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Canon MP620 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer (Office Product)
The Cannon MP620 all in one is a great product. It was easy to set up. It has wireless capabilities, but you will need other equipement to do so depending on your home system. ie. blue tooth or router etc. It prints quietly and the quality of print is great. It does print slower than other printers, but that isn't a concern for my needs. I love the on board screen that you can easily navigate to print, fax, copy, scan, send to documents etc. It looks good especially for a home office. The paper is loaded in the bottom tray, so it isn't exposed giving in a clean-lines appearance. It also has a small footprint which is amazing thinking of all it does. You can close the output tray when not in use. If you forget to open it for printing, it opens itself. It has 5 inkwells, so the ink is more cost effective. I will say since it is a newer product, so you may not find the ink just anywhere yet. It is also confusing which ink goes with it. It takes Cannon CLI 221 magenta, black, yellow, cyan and a larger PGI 220 black ink cartriges. The 221 are about $12 each and the 220 is about $15. You can get multi packs to save some too. All in all I am very happy with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "easy" button for wireless printing!, September 30, 2008
This printer is meant to be a general-purpose printer for us. While I do not have the experience to compare this with other recently made photo printers, I will say that the photo I did print with it looked much better then any other home printed photo I have done with the "photo printers' we have had. The reason for this review is to praise it for connecting to my home network with ease. Wireless setup was truly amazingly easy with this printer!

When the wife wanted to take our printing wireless we had shopped the local electronics stores. Unfortunately, the MP620 or any other wireless printers from Canon were not available at any of them so we decided on an HP product. Forty-five minutes on the phone with tech support, an exchange of that printer for another, and 1 1/2 more hours on the phone with tech support and it was still not working wirelessly! In came this MP620 from Amazon and 10 minutes later it was working perfectly on our home network!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too fall in love all over again, October 30, 2008
Earlier this year I bought the HP C8180 Photosmart All In One, which prints some great pictures, but is so slow on spooling the first page of a print and makes so much noise it was driving me crazy. It took nearly 30 seconds to start printing, using the wireless connection. Before you say I'm being picky, imagine being in a rush to get out the door and needing to print off an important document. You hit the print button and the printer just sits there silent, starring back at you with that vacant look in its eyes. At this point for me I start pulling out the few hairs left on my head and then suddenly it starts making all of the annoying little sounds it makes and checking the picture tray for paper adding so much more wasted time until it finally hits the main paper tray and starts shooting out papers. Finally I gave up on it and bought this printer last week because Canons previous model (Canon Pixma MP610) had such great reviews and the few this one (Canon MP620) had were very positive. After setup, which I'll touch on later, I printed some test documents using the wireless connection and the Canon printer spooled in less than 2 seconds after hitting the print button and thank Canon it makes very little noise through the whole process. The documents print great and the pictures are remarkable. I seriously love this printer, maybe some of it had to do with my loathe for my previous printer, but I would recommend this product to anyone in the market for a new printer. Anyone looking for a used printer give me a hollar at... lol j/k.I gave the HP to my parents they don't really care about the speed and noise issues.

So for the setup.

I work with electronics a lot and knew I wouldn't have a problem setting up this printer even after reading the reviews that said it was "too complex to setup" or skip the directions that come with it. So I followed the directions exactly and with the help of my three year old daughter I got this thing setup and printing with in a half hour or so. I swear I didn't stray from the directions at all. It really isn't difficult to setup so if that worries you just make sure you read through the instructions once or twice before you start messing with things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Printer is great, Supplied data on suggested ink is WRONG!, December 1, 2008
Larry D. Odelius (Conroe, TX United States) - See all my reviews
The MP620 Cannon wireless printer works great and was pretty easy to set up wireless. Pictures look much better than my prior Cannon 2000. Watch out for Amazon's "Frequently Bought Together" items with this printer. The ink cartriges sugested are WRONG! I had to send some back. The correct ones are the CLI-221 set of four color tanks and the separate PGI-220BK black tank.

5.0 out of 5 stars canon mp620, October 4, 2008
Just received this printer. Had an HP all in one before which was ok except that the software was not ok. i set up this printer and was printing in just a few minutes. so far it is working very well. Beautiful color photos. Does make a bit of noise now and again when starting or warming up but they say that its normal. One thing is that it is quite large. I like the idea that it has a separate closed print tray for regular paper in front and a photo paper tray at back top. so everything can be kept closed for dust not to enter. The door you collect your printed paper from automatically opens if you forget to open it...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for OCR, November 23, 2008
D. Hudson "Dancin' Dean" (Holyoke, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth Canon printer and generally I have been very pleased with Canon products. This one however, was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping by buying an all-in-one I could get rid of my scanner, but the Optical Character Recognition software is terrible. Unlike the OCR software I received with my Epson scanner, you can retain the formatting of the printed material you are scanning or convert it into a Word doc for editing.
The printer does produce amazing photographs, but for everyday printing I find it slower and I believe uses more ink than my previous i860 series printer. It seems to be cleaning the print heads constantly.
I have enjoyed have enjoyed the copying capabilities. It is, of course, slower than a regular copier, but is sufficient for everyday copies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent MFP, lots of connectivity options, October 28, 2008
I have been using the MFP for 2 weeks now and I had nothing but positive experience. Some reviewers complain that the unit is very large. This is scanner, copier, and printer in one! Comparing to most other MFPs, it is quite small. With back tray folded, it takes the same footprint as my old Epson 777 printer.

Setup is a breeze. I actually found setup guide well written, it provides enough information to set the unit, the actual manual is installed with software package. I consider this is a benefit to having a printed manual as you always have the electronic version at your fingertips.
No issues connecting to network. I set 2 PCs (Vista and XP) in a matter of minutes.

One drawback which does not warrant lower rating is rather archaic head alignment procedure. Printer prints 3 pages of black and blue boxes telling the user to pick the best one from a group and enter box number via menu. I've seen Lexmark and HP printers to perform this task automatically.

Overall an excellent unit, great photos, very good text (for inkjet), scan quality on par with more expensive HP product, software suite is light years better (and smaller) than HP or Lexmark.

5.0 out of 5 stars great printer, October 23, 2008
This is an outstanding printer for the price. It took me about 30 minutes to completely set it up after opening the box and I had no problems with the wireless setup like some others complained about. Just follow the directions step by step. The photo print is great looks just like you would get at a photo print shop. I even wirelessly printed a photo I had on my PS3. The PS3 recognized it in just a few seconds. I also tested the scanner and copier and it worked great. I scanned a picture my son drew and it was perfect and then it sent it to my computer to save. Then I copied the same picture and it was an almost duplicate (colors were a little off but it was drawn with crayons). This is my second Canon photo printer and this is the best I've used so far very easy to use. I looked around a lot before I bought this printer and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so easy wireless printing, but great printer for the price., October 5, 2008
We bought this printer because my wife wanted a color printer and one that would work with her new Macbook. Our 5 year old B/W HP LaserJet1000 has been great, but it has refused to play nicely with the Mac.

PROS:
My first impressions are that this is a great printer for the price. The prints are sharp, it produces amazing 4x6 photos, and it is fast for an ink jet. I wasn't expecting this much for the price.

The printer is currently hooked up to my wife's Macbook using the provided USB cable; that part of set up couldn't be easier

CONS:
I have had the printer for two days now, and I have not been able to get the printer to work with my wireless network. I am willing to admit that this may be a "wet-ware" issue; however set up is very easy unless you experience a problem, then the instruction manual became fairly cryptic.

It is big.

All in all, 149 dollars well spent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great features for the price, November 20, 2008
NJ (Evanston, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
I've only had this for a couple of days, but so far I like it very much. It replaced an Epson that died after just over a year. Out of warranty, of course. I have always had Epsons, but I got tired of not having a toll free support number.
I tried the Canon after seeing it in a store and reading some good reviews.
The wirelss is a nice feature. I followed the directions closely (though they are a bit confusing) and had no trouble getting it set up.
I also like the wheel on the printer control panel for navigatng menus.
One of the best things is having two paper trays so I can switch back and forth between photos and other printing without changing paper. this is really convenicent. In the past with my Epson I sometimes forgot to put the right paper in and either wasted photo paper or wasted ink printing a photo on plain paper.
It also does not seem to suck up ink as fast as the Epson, which used it ruthlessly.
A final feature that is small, but really nice, is that the front door where the prints come out opens automatically when you print or copy something. In the past I have sometimes forgotten to do this and ended up with mangled paper and ink inside the printer.
I'm still playing aournd with the settings for photos, but they seem to be pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as the Epson, but good.
My only complaint, a small one, is that printing photos at the highest quality setting is very, very slow. Also, i would have liked a printed manual instead of an online one.