4.0 out of 5 stars A Beast
I am replacing a Cannon S820 inkjet. I decided to buy another Cannon because its paper handling was superb. My local Staples had no simple Cannon printers, so I bought the MX452. This is my first printer/scanner and first wireless printer.

Day 1
Published 19 months ago by Donald E. Fulton

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the money. Software issues. Poor Scanner
I purchased this printer as a replacement for a HP 4150 Color smart AIO. I bought this particular printer for two reasons,

1) It has only two cartridges. I do not print many pictures and what I do print is for personal use.
2) The scanner was rated better than some of the other higher priced Canon printers.

I have had this printer for about a...
Published 20 months ago by JAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars A Beast, May 15, 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX452 Wireless Inkjet Office All-In-One (Office Product)

Day 1
First impression: For an inkjet this thing is a beast, massive and heavy, a lot of printer for $80. There are two paper paths. Pages to be copied or scanned feed left via the document feeder to the glass scanning bed below and return beneath the originals. Plain paper is fed in at the bottom front and copies output to the paper tray above.

Setup: After assembly, following the step by step instructions, I skipped over the wireless setting (on the small low contrast display) and plugged the printer into my computer via USB.

Wireless or USB: While billed as wireless, the printer has two USB ports, square in rear and standard in front. The rear port is for communication with PC, and Canon says the front port is for a USB flash memory stick. I am going to use a USB cable with my desktop, since my WiFi has a way of randomly going down and needing to be rebooted, and wireless for a portable I occasionally use.

Drivers: Windows 7 says no drivers need be installed for a USB printer (it's done automatically). Really? Didn't work for my Cannon S820 and didn't work here. The needed drivers (print, scan and fax) are on the enclosed Canon CD, but it took several tries to get them to install.

Wireless: Here I am stuck. All the instructions start by saying pull up "wireless" on the printer display. How? I skipped over it at the beginning, and now I can't pull it up, neither the menu button nor the back button does it. (I solve this problem on day 2.)

Performance: Great
Copy: My first tests show this works like a 'real' copier. Has a document feeder, and it takes only one button press to do a color or BW copy. A first test with a utility bill with some color gave a copy almost identical to the original. No adjustments, no hassles.

Printer: As a printer, this thing is fast and clean, very impressive. With it's default settings it is much, much faster (and noisier) than my old S820. What I like, following up on tips from other reviewers, it that you can run this printer two ways: as a fast, and somewhat noise office type printer (default setting), or via printer preferences you can tame it, so it becomes a much quieter, slightly slower, ink stretching home type printer.

In printer preferences you have a choice of five ink (density) settings with default in center. The printer has a 'quiet' mode, which slows it. I did the printer test page with the default settings and with print quality set to 'fast' (other reviewer call it 'draft' mode) and quiet mode on. The only difference I see in a side by side comparison is that in fast/quiet mode the blacks are not quite as dark, but perfectly acceptable. I am going to adopt fast/quiet mode for my routine printing. There is also an option to reduce color intensity and contrast, so I am going to do this too to stretch the color ink.

Canon sells cheaper ink cartridges for this machine that are only partially filled, but for lowest cost/page buy the full cartridges: 240 XXL (black) and 241 XL(color), about $57 for the pair. This printer will print even if one of its two cartridges runs out of ink, leave it in and select the good cartridge in preferences.

Day 2
WiFi: I finally got WiFi working using a file in the Win directory of the Canon CD called MSetup4.exe. This file allows you to connect the printer to WiFi using a (temp) USB cable. It downloads a driver, then guides step by step for keypresses on the printer and in the software. No password had to be entered even though my WiFi network has security, which was a surprise. The Canon CD was needed too in my laptop for it to install the needed printer drivers. In my final setup printer is connected to my desktop computer via a USB cable and to my laptop via WiFi.

Scanner: The scanner is functional, but the (default) scanner software is horrible: no zoom, no rotate, no way to preview changes in lightness/darkness. The default scanner software I am referring to here is what opens when right clicking the printer/scanner icon in the Windows control panel and selecting 'Start Scan'.

Day 3
Finally found the advanced Cannon scanning program: 'Scangear'. It had been installed from the CD, but without a shortcut so it was hidden. To start Scangear from the desktop I added a shortcut to the file 'ScanUtility.exe' (found in the folder 'IJ Scan Utility'). (Tip: Scangear defaults to 'zoom' grayed out, to ungray 'zoom' click the upper left icon.)

The Canon installation from the CD has a nasty feature. On the desktop it inserts about 10 icons (!) all grouped into a backward L shaped thing that hugs the lower right corner of the desktop. I have never seen anything like it before. It's huge, using up a ton of desktop real estate and overwriting other shortcuts. It's the Canon Easy menu, and you can get rid of it by uninstalling the Easy Menu.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good "Does It All" Printer, March 27, 2013
Bought the MX452 to replace an old HP all-in-one. Although the HP was a great printer in terms of hardware, I had recurring problems with the accompanying HP software, so decided to give Canon a try.

I wanted a four-function printer for general home use. So far, so good. The MX452 is easy to set up (I'm using a USB connection, not the wireless option). The Canon software installed without problem. The software has more bells and whistles than you really need (don't they all?), but once you learn where the essential functions are, it's a breeze. Printing quality is excellent, speed is good and it is relatively quiet. It accommodates a variety of paper and envelope sizes. Photo printing quality is good, but not the best I've seen (after all, consider the MX452's price). If photo printing is your thing, I'd recommend one of the Canon MG-series printers.

The main difference between the MX452 and it's higher-priced cousins seems to be the absence of the automated two-sided printing feature, which I don't need. The printer's physical construction is almost totally plastic, so one needs to be a little gentle with it. I don't think this is the right printer for commercial office use - you would want something physically sturdier for that - but its fine for my relatively light home use. A good value for the buck.

**UPDATE ONE YEAR ON 5/05/14** After a year+ of use, I've had absolutely no problems with the MX452. It still rates 5 stars from me!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice do-it-all printer!, March 11, 2013
Updated August 3, 2013....I recently purchased the Canon PIXMA MX522 wireless color all in one office printer. I also wrote a review for it as well. There wasn't anything that was major or wrong with this printer but I really just wanted an upgrade with more features. I still like this printer, but I love the MX522!

July 21, 2013....Updated review.....After owning this printer for some time I wouldn't recommend this printer for a business or home office. I had to print up 70 pages recently for a project and even though it printed well it did take some time for the pages to print. But it is still a good printer for home use if you just need to print a few pages daily. I still feel that the scanner features still needs more tools. I do have a Visioneer scanner and I use the Paperport software that came with it. So if I need major editing tools Visioneer is my go to scanner. It would be nice if Canon put some time into the scanner features then I wouldn't have to drop a star.

This Canon printer is nice. I also own the Canon PIXMA IP100 Mobile Photo Printer since Feb 2009. I love that printer because it was mobile, small and printed beautiful photos as well as documents. But lately is started to have a few problems (going to have it repaired) that I had to put it on the shelf for this new Canon MX452. I really wanted something that was 100% wireless without sending it a cloud. This printer does everything that is says it will do and more. Printing, scanning, and faxing is a breeze! And it really is 100% wireless! I installed the software (CD) that came with the printer on my Windows 8 PC with no problems at all. There are a few programs that are helpful that work well with your printer. The Canon website also has the software on line, but then you have to install each program individually.

I had to use the printer USB cable that came with the printer in order for me to connect wireless. But you may or may not need to use the cable like I had to in order to set it up. The software and cable came in handy and connected me right away. After 1 minute the printer recognized my network. I put in my network password and connected and then the installation CD asked you to remove the printer cable to then go wireless. The only cord that is used is the power cord and the telephone cord for the faxing. Best part is I can print now from anywhere in the house from my laptop or tablet and even my Android cell. Goggle play has a Canon app, but it's really not needed since mostly every program or web page has a print button to click on. Just make sure you don't turn off the printer power button. When the printer is not in use the printer will just go to sleep to reduce the power. But as soon as you click print or any other feature the printer will wake up immediately.

Printing documents is sharp and clear. This printer uses 2 ink tanks (color & black). Most printer brands these days use 5 or more inks cartridges. So it really depends on how much color printing you use to notice any cost savings in using 5 tanks verses 2 tanks. So far the ink that came in the box is still going strong and has not run out. We use the printer for personal use everyday. The only thing I wish Canon would of spent more time in perfecting this printer is adding more tools to the scanning features of the printer. Needs work, but will get the scanning job done. This printer even has an area just for scanning photo negatives. Photo printing is really nice, but I didn't really purchase this for my photos. But overall for the low price and for everything that this printer does it is a purchase that I still recommend. But just make sure you do a comparison shopping before getting this one. I highly recommend the MX522 over this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Basic Printer With A few Extras., April 10, 2013
My last Canon served me well for a couple of years. Then, all of a sudden, it displayed an unrecoverable error message regarding paper feed. Oddly, every single function, including scanning or copying to my computer, was rendered useless as well. After all attempts to fix this failed, I plugged my nose, and decided to stick with the Canon brand.

PROS:
*Seems solid and well built for the price.

*It connected very nicely to my wireless network. I expected a fight, as this is the first wireless printer I have owned. No problems. Within 10 minutes or less, I was printing wireless.

*AirPrint is a nice bonus, and It works. I was both happy and surprised.

*Good quality prints. I play around occasionally with photo's, but really all I need is something that prints documents. Whether scanned or from an e-mail attachment, the quality is very good. The few photo's I did print came out fine, and the quality rivaled many from other more expensive printers. Not bad.

CONS:

*If printing speed really matters to you, this is not where you will get it. For my casual use, however, I am fine with the printing speeds.

*It will go thru ink, especially the "starter" ink supply that comes standard with this unit. It is by design. Replacement ink cartridges, while very expensive, contain more ink, and therefore will last longer. While it may still cost a small fortune if you print a lot of stuff, to be fair, don't judge ink usage by what is supplied initially. Once you run out of original supply quite quickly, casual users will probably do alright with the replacement cartridges.

*It is somewhat noisy, and seems to grind just a little bit while working. The noise is not as bad as I have heard on other printers, so probably this is what is expected. It looks and feels substantial. The price is good. I guess if you even only get a couple years out of this thing, you could still go on with your life and buy something else (or another Canon, like I did).

BOTTOM LINE: 5 stars in this price range! Wireless is not fussy, so that is one less thing to worry about. An overall great purchase if a basic, all in one, with reliable Wi-Fi appeals to you. Recommended.

Update: 3/18/2014: I temporarily downgraded my rating, because after a few months of not using, it was hard to get this printer to start again. Have since learned long periods of non usage causes the ink to dry out, and it takes a while for the printer to fix this. The next day, I printed something and it worked like new again. Back to 5 stars, it is a good low priced printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compare MX452 (84.99) and MX522 (129.99), April 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a side-by-side comparison between the Canon MX452 and the Canon MX522 PIXMA printers Canon Office Products MX522 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax.

Basically, here you go:

(I tried to create this as a chart, but Amazon's text box won't keep my formatting, so bear with me...)

PRICE:

Retail: $149.99
Amazon: $129.99 (4/28/2013)

SPECIFICATIONS:

Weight: 19 pounds
Dimensions: 15.2"x 18.1"x 7.9"
Color: Matte Black

Weight: 22 pounds
Dimensions: 15.2"x 18.1"x 7.9"
(Note: the Canon website lists a larger size for this printer, and Amazon lists them as being identical. I measured them myself and indeed they are identical.)
Color: Gloss Black

DISPLAY:

MX452
2-Line LCD Display (with NO backlight)

MX522
2.5" LED Display (Very bright)
Dual Function Panel

PRINTING:

SPEED:
MX452
Speed:9.7 ipm (Black)/ 5.5 ipm (Color)

MX522
Speed 9.7 ipm (Black)/ 5.5 ipm (Color)

DUPLEX:
MX452: NO

INK TYPE:

MX452
Fine Cartridges (Black and Color)
Can use XL and XXL Cartridges

MX522
Fine Cartridges (Black and Color)
Can use XL and XXL Cartridges
*Note: Both printers use the same exact ink(s)

PRINT RESOLUTION:

MX452
Up to 4800x1200 dpi (Color)/ Up to 600x600 dpi (Black)

MX522
Up to 4800x1200 dpi (Color)/ Up to 600x600 dpi (Black)

INTERFACE:

MX452
Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n)
USB 2.0 High-Speed
Bluetooth v2.0

MX522
Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n)
USB 2.0 High-Speed

Letter, Legal
US #10 Envelopes

PAPER CAPACITY:

MX452
100 Sheets, 30 Sheets ADF (Auto Document Feeder)

MX522
100 Sheets, 30 Sheets ADF (Auto Document Feeder)

AIRPRINT:

WORKS WITH EVERNOTE: MX452, MX522

ETHERNET: ONLY MX522
PIXMA CLOUD LINK: ONLY MX522

______________________

Inside the box: Each included the quick start manual, its own CD with proper drivers and identical software, phone line cable, color and black ink cartridges (they use the identical cartridges), updates to the manuals for newer OSs, and the MX452 included the USB/Printer cable (the MX522 did not). This cable was not necessary for either set up, but I did have trouble with their "quick WiFi set up"--on both printers.

Both printers have quick-set-up for connecting to your WiFi home network. You press your router's network button and the printer is supposed to find it and hook up to it. The trouble is, neither did. It wasn't that they didn't "see" the router/network. They did, and both showed it. But they couldn't make that connection on their own. We went to the Canon website (as instructed by the little flyer(s) inside the package(s) with the manuals.) We followed those directions (which were basically the same as the instructions that popped up on the screens of the printers), and had no luck. I finally went into an alternative network setup option and found the router and inputted the security code and both printers hooked into the network without a problem. Seems something about the quick-start didn't work with my Verizon router. Neither printer required any physical connection to the router nor any computer for Network set up.

There are lots of options for both printers--the trouble is, with the 452, it's hard to maneuver the menus because it is hard to see the screen. The 522 was easy and seemed simpler (even though it has a few more options).

The optional software has printing programs for photos, etc. Typical for all Canon and other big-name companies.
The face recognition software was pretty neat--and kind of creepy.
Both can do borderless photo printing, are optimized for Canon photo papers, and claim that with the combination of Canon inks combined with Canon papers, your photos will last up to 100 years in an archival-quality photo album. (Up to? Not much of a promise...if they said, "at least", we'd be talking...)
Auto scan modes, auto document fix, Movie Print, 30 Sheet Auto Document Feeder, and more are on both printers, and work equally well (but I do think the 522 is a tiny bit faster).

The 452 does NOT have full duplex printing. This is a big drawback for me, as I print a lot of paper for school and don't want it all one-sided (and I certainly don't want to stand there hand feeding pages back in to get the backside printed). The 522 has FULL DUPLEX PRINTING. This means that it automatically prints on both sides of the paper (if you choose that option). You do not have to hand-feed the pages back in. My current printer has this, and once you have had it, you don't want to go back.

The Fax programs are the same, and work equally well. Of course, the menu/caller ID is far easier to see with the 522. Transmission speeds on both are (black) 3 seconds per page and (color) i minute per page. Both have a 50 page memory, and both have modems that transmit at 33.6 Kbps.

As a Copier, both Reduce/Enlarge from 25% to 400%. Both have menus that allow you to lighten/darken the copies. Copy speeds are (color) 4.7 ipm.

The Scanner is identical on both printers. Both have a Scanning Element that is a Contact Image Sensor (CIS), with resolutions of 1200x2400 dpi (optical), 19,200x19,200 (interpolated) with ADF (Auto Document Feeder):600x600 dpi (optical). Both have a max color depth of 48-bit internal/24-bit external, and the same max document size of 8.5x11.7" on the flatbed scanner and 8.5x14" on the ADF (Auto Document Feeder)

Standard Interface is identical, except that the 522 includes PictBridge. (See above side-by-side comparison.)
OS compatible with Win 8, 7, RT, 7 SP1, Vista SP1, Vista SP2, XP SP3, Mac OS x 10.5.8, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 The 452 states that it for Intel Processors Only. This is not listed for the 522.

Both printers can use the XL and XXL ink cartridges.

On the Canon Website, they have some apps that are pretty neat--the printing apps are the iEPP (Print pictures, Scan items), and Mobile Printing (Print Documents, Web Pages, and Images). Both work with iPhone and can be downloaded directly from the App Store for free.

Because the 452 has the 2-Line LCD display with NO BACKLIGHT (How did you miss this one, Canon?) it is quite difficult to read. I have pretty bad vision, and had a tough time getting through the menus.
The 522 has a very bright and clear LED display. It's not a touch screen (that would be the one improvement I'd like to see). It is very easy to read and use, and for those like me with bad vision, it's a blessing.

Both printers have fax, capability, copying capability, Scanning capability, and Caller ID/Call block rules for the fax.

Both printers have built-in templates for graph paper, ruled notebook paper, children's printing paper, schedules, calendars, to-do lists, and more. Getting to the menu options for these is much easier on the 522, but isn't too bad for the 452.

The Quiet feature is wonderful. I don't know how they do it, but both printers ran quieter and the "beep" and "alarm" volumes are very adjustable.

They are each quite capable printers, both are quiet, quick, and do an excellent printing job. BUT there are many differences.

If you are looking for a utilitarian-looking printer, the PIXMA MX452 is a good choice, but the screen is not very easy to read, and you have to do a LOT of scrolling to get through the menus. If you're more like me, and like easy-to-read menus and the sleeker shiny surface and/or you are a Google-Cloud Printer or double-sided printer, you will be better served with the Canon PIXMA MX522.

I took a bunch of pictures of them side-by-side, during the set-up. I will post them on the Customer Images section of this page.
I hope this review helped you out--sometimes we don't realize we "want" a feature until we have seen it elsewhere. (For me, the Google-Cloud Print was my "surprise" feature--but now that I have seen and used it, I know I'll use it again.)

For my use, which is typical home-use and school-use, I'd opt for the MX522. It's 50 dollars more expensive, but I know I'd save that in paper (with the duplex) in no time. It looks better--more sleek, and the LED screen is bright and looks nice, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for the money. Software issues. Poor Scanner, April 17, 2013

I have had this printer for about a week. The installation process was not as easy as it could have been. The software hung up and I had to restart the process. At one point in the initialization process an error message popped up telling me that the software was not compatible with IE8? HUH!! Well I restarted the process and it finally did install the software after about an hour. Really Canon. I have put together furniture faster than this.

Printing: The printing seems to work at an acceptable level for home use. I set the defaults to black and white only to stop the unnecessary use of the color ink. This is also where the Canon software is not really user friendly. The ability to set how the printer uses ink is buried in a second level control panel under another button. If you are not familiar with the way windows control panel works you may not even know that this exists.

Scanning: The scanner cuts off the first 1/4 inch of the left side of the scan. I found that the scanning area is smaller than the scanner bed. There is black on black marking across the top of the scanner showing you where the paper should be. I have had several AIO printers and I have not seen any scanner that did not scan the entire width of the bed.
Black and white scanning appears to be fine. Color scanning is terrible. I tried several different professional pictures and each time the scanner did not scan white areas without pixelation. The color areas were not true. This is not useable for business or for anyone who needs professional prints. This is really not good enough for a basic scanner. My HP was so much better than this scanner. What I also do not like is that the scanner WILL NOT start a scan from the front panel of the printer. The scanner must be started through the supplied software after it has been opened. On the Hp that I am replacing I could have the computer on, place a picture on the scanner and hit start scan. The software would then open. This is really poorly thought out on Canon's part.

Software: The initial software loading was a pain but I got through it. The software that comes with the printer called "My Image Garden" is just another picture sorter. Instead of a menu it has unlabeled picture buttons that you have to scroll over to find out the function. Okay this may be nitpicking, but I hate the dumbing down of software. Could they have made it look like a another open window with the functions at the top?

I will have more to add when I have spent more time with it. So far I would say this is a good printer for home use.

UPDATE: 4/29/2013
Having used this unit for about a week and hearing the constant complaints from my wife as to how poor the copy function is I bought the MG5420. I am using the MX452 at my office for scanning documents and occasional copying.

I can see why my wife did not like the copy function. To copy a page the user has to press three different button just to make one copy. The ability to lighten or darken the page is also more difficult than it has to be. The HP AIO that this unit was to replace had one button color or B&W copying when we purchased it 5 years ago.

Another problem is that the LCD display on the MX452 has no backlight. This makes it hard to read in anything other than direct lighting. The HP AIO had a color LCD 5 years ago.

I am not sure why the setup was such a problem on my desktop, maybe because it was a HP, but the wireless setup at work went smoothly. The printer was able to find the network without any problems and identified the network ID and connected the first time. The installation of the software as well as the wireless connections to my laptop went perfectly. I can only say that my 4 year old Toshiba laptop is better made than the HP desktop.

Having tested the wireless scanning and printing I am happy to use this printer. Although as everyone else has pointed out, the ink levels are already showing that the black cartridge is half full after only a dozen copies and prints.

I set up the printer to use plain paper using grey scale. The one difference between the MX452 and the MG5420 is that the MX452 is always on. There is no auto-shut off as has been discussed about the MG5420.

In summary I can say that if you need a basic printer that is to used primarily as a B&W scanner and for limited copying and printing than this is a good unit for the price I paid. $69 at Fry's Electronics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, March 21, 2013
Although I have only had this for less than 24 hours, I want to say this is a great printer, copier, scanner. Set up was so simple compared to others I have dealt with. The wireless connection so very easy and set up right away. So far no complaints and I highly recommend this product. The only thing I would change is the panel does not light up so it is hard to see if you do not have adequate lighting but most things, ie scanning can be done right from your computer. I will not be using the fax option so I cannot comment on this. I had previously owned a Dell All In One Printer and it was very complicated and just did not do the job. Want to make a further statement after a week of use, I LOVE THIS MACHINE. Great for home use and it does everything you want it too. I again, recommend this printer without question.

1.0 out of 5 stars You'll spend a fortune on ink, January 12, 2014
The printer is an ink hog. I bought it about 6 months ago and have had to replace ink at least once a month. We don't really even print that much, but the printer FORCES you to replace ink even when it isn't needed. If one ink cartridge needs replacing, you can't print. Even if you just want to print some greyscale text (no color needed or wanted) you cannot print if the color cartridge is low. Not empty. Low. You can tell it you want to print in greyscale all you want, and it'll still tell you to check the ink until you put in a new color cartridge. Let me emphasize that the color cartridge doesn't even need to be empty for the insanity to begin. Just low. If Canon thinks you should replace a color cartridge after printing color a few times, you'd better do it, or you can't use your printer. I wish I could give them the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it was just bad printer design that renders it useless when only one cartridge is low on ink, but its more likely a ploy to get consumers to buy more overpriced ink.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst printer we've ever purchased, July 23, 2013
Carol Paszkiewicz (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Given that this was a Canon brand product I expected it to be a reliable, easy to use piece of equipment. It's been quite the contrary. It's less than a year old, we cannot get it to function as a wireless printer on a consistent basis, the printer heads come out of alignment very easily and the print quality is fair at best. It frequently jams when feeding paper and while printing. Do not buy this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Going to return this one. Runs out of ink in no time., April 21, 2013
I received this printer last Monday. Brand new printer, brand new ink cartridges. After I printed 106 pages--all but two in grayscale, all in standard print quality mode--it ran out of black ink. Canon's web site offers black cartridges for $18.99. At that price (yes, I can get it for slightly less at Amazon, but I'm basing the per-page cost on Canon's own quoted price), if this is as good as it gets, I'll be paying $0.18/page just for the black ink, not counting whatever color ink is used up even in printing black (apparently that's how it works and why you can't print in just black if the color cartridge needs to be replaced), paper, or wear and tear on the machine. I get that the ink is where the manufacturers make their money, but that's outrageously expensive. I would expect the per-page cost to be less than half that.

My guess is that the cleaning cycle that seems to happen after EVERY print job (even if it's just one page) and every time you turn the printer on (if you're misguided enough to ever turn it off) sucked up a lot of the ink. Or is all that noise and activity after a print job some other mysterious thing and not a cleaning cycle? I can't find any information about that, and I cannot find any way to turn the cleaning cycle off and just do it manually.

Before I spend a fortune on ink and while I'm still in the return window, this sucker is going back to Amazon. I spent a week researching printers to replace my Epson that broke, and I thought this Canon looked good from specs and reviews. Looks like it's back to square one. Too bad, because its features are more sensibly designed than my old Epson WorkForce 600 and I had no trouble getting the computers on my network to recognize it and print from it.