5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
Published on April 18, 2012 by Michael M. Makieve

Nine month update:
After nine months of use, this printer has not stood up well to the test of even light household printing tasks. It is chronically afflicted with difficult-to-clear paper jams and print cartridges require regular alignment/nozzle cleaning. Consider other options for your all-in-one printing needs.

Original review follows below:...
Published on June 26, 2012 by Long-Suffering Technology Consumer

2.0 out of 5 stars Long term peformance issues; scan has limited options and forced a USB connection..., June 26, 2012
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX512 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
Nine month update:

Original review follows below:
-----
Overall --and especially at the nicely discounted price as I write this review-- this is a decently performing all-in-one. No major issues noted with any of the print, fax or copy functions. However, I was not able to use the scan functions using either WiFi or ethernet connections. Attempts at both yielded error messages from the scanner software that simply provided a laundry list of all possible problems ("the printer is not connected to the network...") while doing nothing to diagnose the actual problem. These disappeared and scanning was successful when I used a USB cable instead of either wireless or ethernet connectivity for scanning. Go figure.

PROS:
-Relatively easy set-up. Although documentation is limited to a quick start guide for printer unpacking and set-up, the printer offers sufficient additional detail both from its own LCD menu display and from the included utility software.
-Copy and fax functions are simple and intuitive.
-Double sided printing is possible without having to manually turn the paper over...yes!
-Easily adjustable paper guides.
-Relatively quiet operation free of harsh printer head movements.
-Satisfactory text and photo hardcopy quality.

CONS:
-Unable to scan via ethernet or Wifi; had to use a USB cable to complete scan jobs.
-Limited scanner output options (.jpg or .pdf).
-Scan to email option supports creating attachments direct to Outlook only.
-Complicated menu options for switching between wired and wireless network options.
-Glossy black surface is dust and fingerprint magnet.

IF you have a non-negotiable requirement to scan via an wireless or ethernet connection, then this all-in-one may not be for you. But if you're willing to default to a USB connection: at this price, it's hard to go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, April 18, 2012
Finally found an all-in-one that does exactly what it says it will do. I waited a long time to find a wireless printer that would support AirPrint from my iPad and iPhone. This product was easy to set up, provided wireless access for all of our devices. The software that came with the unit is easy to use and is intuitive. The same is true for the on machine menu. So far, the quality of printing, scanning, and copying has been excellent. Unit has the additional advantage of looking very good. I cannot yet comment on its durability, since I have only had it for about a month. I have been searching for an all-in-one for sometime, but all of the reviews that I have read have been, at best, hit and miss. I, too, had to do a firmware update to use AirPrint, and it did require a USB cable, but I consider that a minor issue. Still, it would have been nice had Canon included an USB cable. If you're searching for a wireless all-in-one, this certainly seems to be your product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer... Loving it, May 21, 2012
AirPrint works like a charm from IPAD and the IPHONE.
Make sure you do firmware upgrade to get the AIRPRINT to work.
It takes at most 30 minutes.
Link below:
[...]

Love all the features, need to use it little more and will provide update in few weeks.
FYI, it comes with the black and color ink cartridges, do not need to buy
extra from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But Not Necessarily for Everyone, August 16, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter uses this printer because she does freelance graphic artwork and needs a printer all her own. I asked her to tell me her thoughts and she summarized her thoughts: The more I thought about it, the more I realised that this printer is actually quite good--if you're not using it for illustration/design-related purposes.

Now for the specifics of what she likes (+) and does not like (-).

(+)Even though it does not include a USB cable, setting up wireless is incredibly easy, even if you're not
the most tech-savvy person.

(+)Quality of documents sent through the copier is exceptionally good for a home unit. Black-and-white
documents are of crisp quality, and even colour documents turn out decently.

(+)Printer works at a decent speed.

(-)This is definitely not a unit for artists or graphic-design-minded users.
Scanner has very limited dpi options; the highest you can go is 600dpi, and while the quality of the
photo printer is quite decent, there are still imperfections that someone who works in illustration/design
will be able to pick up on right away.

Overall: This unit is good for general home use, but is not ideal for anyone wanting to use it to make their
own high-quality art prints or to scan in a considerably higher dpi.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this printer/scanner, May 13, 2012
Printer/scanner works great. Footprint is manageable too, even on the relatively small desk I use. So far, doesn't seem to be an ink hog either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma 512, April 6, 2012
Finally AirPrint! Works great with iPhone & iPad. No 3rd part apps needed for printing. I needed to do the Firmware update to be able to print from my iPad & iPhone, also you will need a USB cable to do this. The cable is not included. To get the firmware update go to the Canon website. The only reason I gave this printer 4 stars, was because of me having to do the firmware update and having to find my USB cable. Well worth the purchase. Great printer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe more than I can chew--maybe not, June 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Canon Pixma MX 512 printer is an office machine designed for the home according to the manufacture's description. The printer is a bit complicated in design and that may be more problematic than beneficial for home usage. The control panel is a maze of buttons controlling options many of which most home users won't need or ever use. The MX512 does it all and it is just what the person with a home office or a small business would find perfect for their needs.

I do not have a home office. I plan to use the Canon Pixma MX512 for creating hardcopy documents occasionally and printing digital photographs. It was obvious during my shakedown cruise with the machine that it did those things perfectly. In fact, the photo printing features are outstanding. It is possible to add a date stamp to photos printed out even if no stamp was inserted on the original image. I am very happy with the photo features on the new MX512 printer.

There is some basic photo editing possible as photos are prepared for printing. The editing features are rather basic, but useful in a pinch.

I have not set up my MX512 for faxing, but it looks like that feature will work as well as the rest of the things it does. This is a feature I probably didn't need and won't use. I leave others to review that attribute.

The main thing that attracted me to the Canon MX512 was the AirPrint feature which allows one to connect a variety of computers wirelessly via a WiFi router. I was not disappointed--the AirPrint works perfectly.

I probably have more printer in the MX512 than I need, but I will continue using it because it has the AirPrint feature. My previous printer was a Canon MP640 and I liked it very much, but without the AirPrint capacity it is being retired.
The Canon MX512 impresses me this way:

Pros:

It is packed with features.

The machine looks good and it is well built.

The control panel with the little status screen is as good as the need for it exists.

The quality of the printed documents and photos is excellent.

It is really not as noisy as other reviewers have claimed.

The on-screen user manual is one of the best I have seen. I usually hate those things, but this one is really pretty good.

The Canon MX512 connected wirelessly to my Windows 7 laptop and my Apple iPad2 quickly and easily. The AirPrint feature works like a charm.

The scanning and copying process is very good. I liked he capacity to feed multiple documents into the machine for copying.

It is as speedy as most printers.

Cons:

The Canon MX512 was a bit difficult to setup using the somewhat abbreviated instruction sheet. It takes awhile too.

It is a finger print and lint magnet.

The front cover cannot be closed with more than six or seven sheets of paper loaded in the tray.

The ink cartridges are very very expensive.

There was no USB-to-printer cable included in the box.

The paper catching apparatus is not the best.

The machine is a bit bulky, but that is understandable considering how much it can do.

I can recommend the Canon MX512, but most enthusiastically for its use in a small office. It is really more printer than the average home user will ever need, but that is OK. The more I learn about this machine the better I like it. Canon printers are quality machines and this one is no exception.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the bargain it seems, December 20, 2012
I've owned this printer for a handful of months now and I regret my purchase. I wanted a middle-of-the-road printer to get me by after my six color photo printer died. This Canon PIXMA MX512 seemed great at first. No problems with any of the functions.

Just a few months in, it is full of issues.

It pops up random errors even when we're not using it. The errors require shutting down and restarting the printer which takes a minute or so. The last document my wife tried to print took her 45 minutes before she gave up because of the constant errors and paper jams.

It constantly jams because it grabs multiple sheets of paper (and I'm using standard 20 lb. paper).

We've only printed maybe 100-130 pages with it and the head alignment is out of whack. Multiple passes through the auto alignment tool in the settings and it's better, but still it's still not right.

It runs through ink fast. With the small number of pages we've printed, I can't believe we've run through four of the color cartridges and three of the black cartridges already (especially since the printing has been mostly text).

This is just a pretty printer with garbage on the inside.

2.0 out of 5 stars Designed for very occasional, 1-2 pg print jobs, June 21, 2012
I obtained this printer as a warranty replacement for a Canon MP620 printer that couldn't be repaired under the extended warranty. Though I like the quality of the printing, including the quality of pictures printed on this unit, paper handling is a joke, and it's clearly designed for printing a page or two once or twice a week.

For one thing, the out tray is a joke. The printer shoots paper out onto a tiny ledge which is only about 6 or 7 inches long when fully extended. 2 times out of 3 the paper will either fly past the plastic ledge and end up on the floor or droop over the edge until a gust of air from a person walking by blows the sheet into the floor. Good luck collating that unnumbered 15-page PDF!

There is no removable inbound paper tray. The inbound tray does not keep the paper away from dust and debris. Rather, this printer is designed such that when you need it, you open the cover, put in the paper you need, and when you're done, you remove the paper and close it up.

The memory card reader can be accessed from another computer connected via USB. Supposedly it can also be used via a network connection, but there is no documentation on how to make that work. The printer is available via web-browser to make configuration changes but AFAICS you can't access the picture card that way either.

This is my third replacement under the extended warranty. I'm giving up on Canon.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, June 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE 8/29/12... The scanner is so bad with photos!! My older canon is 100 times better. It crops the photo itself, trying to scan in 4x6 & 5x7 no matter which way I turn it and using the photo scan setting it still rotates and crops on its own and i cant figure it out. For paper scanning its awesome!!

*NOTE: as in all Canon printers if you do not have wifi YOU NEED TO BUY USB CORD FOR PRINTER TO PLUG INTO THE COMPUTER* it gets frustrating reading review after review of people who complain about the fact the cord was not included when it says it in the descriptions and many people put it in their reviews!!

I have an older canon photo printer and love it, this is just a tad better with the paper feed tray for multi page scanning or copying, and the photos come out a little cleaner then the cheaper, smaller older printer.

It was easy to set up, we have wireless so I love that its Wifi so I can send something to the printer from my laptop, home computer, or my Android phone, thats right, my phone!!

We will see about ink usage. I always buy the XL's and with the older one I was able to print a lot of photos before changing.

1 flaw so far is that the paper when coming out will fall to the floor if you do not extend both the arm on that paper tray and the paper feed tray under it. Also with the front load paper I can not close up the front like I can on the older one & still keep paper in it.

Canon is a great brand, and from the HP's we use at my work to my canon I would keep the canon hands down any day. I go through twice as much ink in the HP as the canon uses!!