3,512 Reviews
 (1,707)

1,071 of 1,106 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars This is an exceptional piece of technology. Canon has been my first choice for years.
That said, I don't try different brands so I can compare them, so I may be biased. My camera equipment is Canon (for many years) and so my last printer was a Canon IP6000, purchased in 2006, for printing 4x6 photos (and documents). It worked great until recently when it suddenly slowed way down, which is what prompted me to go shopping. Naturally I read the reviews for...
Published 21 months ago by HeTiCu

3,553 of 3,624 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Side-by-Side Comparison ... Canon MX892 vs the latest MX922
Get the slightly older MX892. The MX922 is like Windows Vista.. it is like an overhaul model that needs an immediate overhaul.

I did a side by side comparison of the MX892 & MX922. I highly prefer the MX892 that is a few months older over the latest MX922 after playing with them for a while. The MX922 was made to have slightly bigger ink cartridges, to hold...
Published 16 months ago by Frank Peters

5.0 out of 5 stars A great printer/scanner with only minor flaws, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tested this printer/scanner on a MacBook Pro running OS 10.8.3. I've been using it for 2 weeks. I'm still discovering features, but my review is due.

Unpacking was easy and I appreciated the handles on the protective bag that contained the printer itself. Little things like this do make a difference. Included were ink, a power cord, and a phone cord, but no USB cable.

The printer has a fairly large footprint and looks bulky. Unless you are going to be plugging and unplugging the USB and/or phone cables, everything happens in the front of the machine. You don't really need to keep access to the back.

Set up took around 45 leisurely minutes and was straightforward. The instructions were fine. I was perplexed by the special head alignment paper. It comes with 2 sheets. Does that mean I need to buy more for future head alignments? Yes and no. Head alignment requires matte photo paper, but you don't need to buy it from Canon. This is a little bit of a pain. There is a set up disk to install the drivers and software, but for the Mac this simply starts a download from the Internet. At first, I didn't think any installation was even necessary since I was able to print before the download finished, but I discovered I did need the drivers to scan. The scanner could not be detected, even by Image Capture, without the downloaded drivers.

Ink for the printer is expensive, which seems to be true for all ink jet printers.

The printer controls are not completely intuitive, but still are easy to use and the color LCD screen provides nice summaries of the current settings before you do something.

Copying - excellent

Copies are fast and of great quality. Black & white and color text is sharp even with fine print. Graphs and charts look fabulous. Photos (as in copying a photo without a computer) are exceptional. The Pixma line really is a phenomenal group of photo printers.

You can make 1-sided->2-sided, 2-sided->2-sided (the duplex feeder works great), 2-sided->1-sided, and of course 1-sided->1-sided. You can copy 2 on 1 page and 4 on 1 page right from the printer. Printing can be normal, high, or fast resolution. There are templates for graph paper, music paper, etc.

Printing - excellent

You can print on a variety of media. I tested low quality printer paper, high quality printer paper, and glossy photo paper, and matte photo paper. The printer performed as expected with each type of paper. I was particularly impressed with the matte photo paper results. Photo printing showed no banding or bleeding. It produced very high quality photo prints. The speed was reasonably good. I was able to easily print via USB, Wi-Fi, and from my iPhone using Air Print.

Scanning - excellent

Very easy to use. I was able to initiate a scan from the computer or from the scanner. I was able to do both whether I was connected via USB or Wi-Fi. The quality of the scans was excellent. Scanning is slower via Wi-Fi, as is expected, but still practical.

Faxing - I don't know.

I don't have a landline.

I was not impressed enough by the bundled software to use it instead of iPhoto, Image Capture, etc. It seemed OK, but on a Mac, none of this is necessary.

The printer seems to do stuff on its own when left idle. I hope it isn't cleaning print heads each time because this uses a lot of ink.

In summary, this is a great printer, although not without some minor issues, it is well deserving of 5 stars.

___________

Update 6/9/13

I just discovered there is no single sheet feed, such as for envelopes. I don't do this often, but I do like this feature. Unfortunately this printer surprisingly lacks a single sheet feed option. You have to use the cassettes. This brings it closer to 4 stars (4.49).

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Canon printheads!!!, June 18, 2013
In less than one year, the printhead died with errorcode B200. There are many youtube vidoes on how to remove this errorcode. Each involves tossing the Canon Printer out of a 2nd floor window. New printheads cost almost as much as a new printer (~$100) and you won't know if it fixes your problem until you've risked your money on the new part. I'd be surprised if I ran more than two reams of paper thru this printer before it failed.

When I first got the printer, the scanner was a bit difficult to setup. Took a few arcane steps to make it work. Beyond that, it has worked fine. I'd give this printer 5 stars if it weren't for the poor quality of the printhead. They use this design in a number of models, so beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully made, sturdy, fabulous print quality. WHINERS, READ THIS, July 16, 2013
I just bought this printer (not at Amazon) because of its features and versatility. The print quality I could take for granted. The construction looked and felt sturdy. Hell of a deal.

Whiners (those giving 1-star ratings) complain about excessive ink usage ("Shame on you!!!! I'll never buy another Canon product again!!! Blah, blah, blah.")

Get over it. ALL modern ink jet printers go through ink quickly. ALL of them have a problem if you let the ink dry out (if you live in a hot, dry environment, print something AT LEAST once a week...no matter what the brand of ink jet). Almost all brands also cease to function in any way as soon as any one of the cartridges goes dry. That's the way the industry works. No, I don't work for any printer or ink company.

And yes, ALL printers are shipped with special half-full ink jet cartridges. That's the way it's done...expect maybe 10 pages before the "demo ink" empties out. That's ok, because the cartridges of this printer (there are 5) can be individually replaced and for most users only the big black cartridge is empty. NOTE: as of summer '14, nobody can refill the ink cartridges of this machine, but there are aftermarket cartridges. (For most printers, drug stores, print shops, and electronics stores can refill inkjets for $10 per cartridge, or you can reset the chips and refill them yourself using ink and tools from Amazon and eBay. Just make sure you buy the right ink chemistry for your printer...all inks are NOT created equal and the wrong ink can kill your print-head.)

OK, back to my Cannon experience. The installation went pretty smoothly, considering the number of steps. Total time to install on two machines (Windows XP and Windows 7) including calibration and test prints was maybe 90 minutes. (Note: install on XP seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but if you're patient it will just work.)

The printing, copying, and scanning are high quality and fairly fast. The software gives you lots of warning about impending ink outage -- if you're attentive, the new cartridges will arrive by mail before the old ones are gone. The software applications (7 of them!) are large and fairly silly, but you can get by with just one or two of them. Everything else can be turned off if you know how in windows.

I haven't tried printing from my phone or iPad...don't know if I ever will...

The on-screen manual is comprehensive but has some annoying errors. I still haven't figured out how to turn on the document feeder, as the manual refers to a software control panel that simply doesn't show up on my PCs.

Overall--I don't know how I could expect more from a light-duty all-in-one device. Seriously, I'm not a shill. But if the print head on this thing lasts a few years, I will be 110% satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like this printer with a few minor issues, August 21, 2013
This printer replaces my HP C6180 All-in-one. That was a great printer until the pipes dried up because of non-use. I learned my lesson and intend to use this printer on a regular basis.

Well, it's got everything as far as AIO printers go. It's wider than the HP, but that's fine. Yeah, this needs some space so be sure to take into consideration these dimensions: 19.25"L x 15.5" W x 9"H closed. Add 6.5" to W for open output tray, additional 3" to W for pulling out the paper catcher extension. Of course the paper trays at the bottom add around 6" if you just want to load additional paper and about 12.5" if you want to pull the entire tray out. Add 4.25" to H if you want to open the Auto Document Feeder Cover. Add 13" to H, separate from the Auto Doc Feeder, if you want to open the Flatbed Scanner Door. But hey, after all that measuring, you don't have to leave any rear space for cables because they've designed it in a way that it does not protrude from the back, yay! (not gonna add how much space you need to open the back in case of paper jam because most people will figure that out on their own ;) )

Ok, that's done....phew. It looks great since it's got that Samsung-like "Touch-Of-Color" thing going on. Google for pictures to understand, but basically it's that burgundy on top of black coloring scheme. This thing prints FAST! Word documents are printed with half the speed of a laser printer, but it's still too fast to notice the difference :D Built-in duplexing will make the tree-huggers feel good. I don't use it because most people prefer one one-paged printouts.

The scanning utility for Windows is pretty smart. It even divides multiple photos that you put into the flatbed scanner into multiple scanned files rather than one big fat picture file of multiple pictures in one. So like this: You put 4 pictures on the flatbed scanner and you click "Photo" scan option. It scans all the photos on the flatbed, but saves each photo to individual files! Nice, right? If you don't like that, well make a custom scan option or use the "Document" scan button.

Needless to say this works on networks, wired or wireless. I couldn't find the Bluetooth connection if it even exists on this machine. There's also cloud printing support, but never bothered to set it up. Fax works as expected. I've set it up to listen to the answering machine and when it hears the fax beep, it will pick up and print out the incoming fax. That way I can leave it connected on the phone line.

I'm not a good judge of print quality. All I know is that the photos print out good to me and the documents are just fine. The CD direct printing functionality works great...no leaky ink yet. Just dry CD label prints.

Issues: When the printer is about to print and automatically opens the output tray, the tray itself sounds like it's crashing open. I don't like the sound in my office...sometimes it startles me! So before I click print, I manually open the tray. Not that anything seems wrong with the mechanism, but I just don't like the crash open sound. I'm surprised Canon couldn't come up with a soft open option. Either that or I have a faulty mechanism.

Another issue is if you set it to "Preview before Printing", it won't preview the next job until the current print job is done. So you have to wait for each print job (not each page) to finish before you get the next preview window. Annoying, so I don't use the preview before printing option anymore. Maybe it's a Windows 8 thing? I dunno.

The occasional auto cleaning cycle feels too long. Gets in the way of fast printing. But hey, it has to clean, right?

The online utility has a very old interface (like 10+ year old) and very limited in settings. So most customizations have to be done through the menu settings on the printer directly, which can be a hassle. There was another settings issue but I forget what it was, lol. But it's no big deal for most users.

So putting all things together, the printer is an excellent buy. The minor things do bother me, but not enough to disrupt my printer usage.

1.0 out of 5 stars LOTS OF GOOD, BUT TOO MUCH BAD sorry to say..., November 23, 2013
LOTS of Good! LOTS of BAD. The good: This item has many super features. It is easy to setup. It is attractive, although a LOT bigger than one would expect. Tray holds a lot of paper. Nice to have a second tray for photo paper. Low price is great also. Now the BAD! I often say to myself "What the heck is this printer doing"??? Minutes after printing ONE black & white page it is still making noises doing "whatever". It is quite annoying. I wanted to print a single black & white page. That took 40 seconds after I hit print. The printer WAS turned on. It then stays silent for 45 seconds then makes all sorts whirring, clicking and other noisy annoying sounds. That lasts for another minute. I expect a printer to print one page then BE QUIET! Next, what good is a wifi wireless printer if you must go to it and turn it on? It doesn't wake itself up! There is a bid door that opens up on the front by just self releasing. It is noisy. It does not go back up by its self either. I expected more from Canon and would gladly have paid more if it didn't have these problems. One last thing. I tried for an hour to make a decent milkshake with this thing and finally gave up. NO SOUP FOR ME! :)

UPDATED INFORMATION: November 30, 2013. I would REALLY love to find out what trick others are using to rate this printer 4 and 5 stars. I have spoken for over 45 minutes to a pleasant technical person. She could not offer any assistance. THE FACTS: It takes up to TWO MINUTES to print the first page. A normal black and white one page letter with no graphics. After it has printed it is silent for a minute or so, then makes all sorts of noises for another minute. Then I tried to make 3 copies. It froze and said "Ending, please wait awhile". I waited 30 minutes and gave up. I had to unplug it since none of the buttons worked. Then it chewed me out for unplugging it instead of using the on/off switch that was non functional. I got this printer at a very good price, but as it sits, it isn't worth $20. to me with the heartache it is causing. ALL I want is to print a page promptly ( within 30 seconds ) then SHUT ITSELF OFF and stop making noises. This printer is the single most frustrating item I have ever purchased from Amazon. Just me? Maybe. But it Canon cannot fix it where to go then? It has TONS OF FEATURES but the slowness is intolerable. I have even disabled wireless and hooked it up directly to one computer. Still the same thing. I believe in being 100% honest and straightforward in my reviews. I would check this item out more thoroughly before buying it. Even Canon's site does not give it a very good review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective, Worthy and almost All Positive, April 30, 2013
John N. SchŽar "cxxi121" (Roanoke, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In recent years I have become a devoted Canon Office Products fan. I used and abused almost every other brand prior to the Canon and not one of them compares as well as the Canon family of quality printers. The MX922 is no different. It is a fine machine.

Let's put the negative attributes first. There are few and insignificant but worthy of dropping my score by one point. The cost of ink still detracts from the overall value of the MX922 like earlier and other models. It is in no way a deal breaker for me, however.
*I use Canon ink without a question and have no known reason to change. While somewhat costly, it works well and lasts longer than the cheaper knockoffs.
*The large cassette paper holder requires a fully stocked or loaded tray in order for it to feed the paper for printing. I tried every configuration I could think of to get it to print from one or two sheets to above the maximum allowable sheets. Only a full tray would permit papers to be fed for printing. If a print job required, say, 100 sheets I might have a concern; however, it is seldom that I need more than 10 sheets at a time so the problem of paper jamming or not processing because of cassette size is no problem for me. I will be contacting Canon to see if there may be a fix or if the cassette is defective. Time does not permit that just yet.
*That's it. I could not find any other negatives.

The positives far out number the negatives and are more meaningful.
∞It is wireless and that is a game winner for me. I can sit in the TV room and use a netbook, laptop or tablet and when I need to print something it is simple Control P and in a few seconds I can get my output from the other side of the house. Additionally, the setup was easy for not only the wireless applications but the entire process. That alone is important to me especially since there are so many chances for failure but not one occurred.
∞Many of folks do not use fax or scan including me but it is there available for that one critical need when it comes. It's like a car with 8 valves. Many of us seldom need that much power but when it is needed it's there. Those features work well as does the copy feature. While I often need a memory boaster to remember which side should go up or down when performing these jobs I prepared a simple sticker that reminds me "original up" to assist.
∞The quality of the output is typical Canon: fantastic. I really like the photo quality and it is especially great if the proper glossy paper is used.
∞This printer has two paper trays that Canon calls cassettes. The smaller tray is for smaller sized prints and, I really liked this one, a place for making a label for computer discs such as a CD or DVD label. Now I can print a quality, readable label which is far better than my scribbling with a marking pen. The little drawer holds 4X6, 5X7 and up to 7X8 sized paper. Turn the tray over and there before your very eyes is the CD slot for use in making a worthy CD label. The larger tray handles 8.5X11 and 8.5Z14 legal papers as well as the old standard U.S. government size. The adjusting sizers make it easier to fit the perfect paper into the tray regardless of the paper's size. (I might have located the reason for the paper jamming or not working properly. There is a single post to hold the paper before it released for the printer to print instead of having two posts such as the smaller tray has. The single post appears to be planned and there is no sign of breakage. This is pure speculation on my part because I am no where close to being an engineer or the like. The other components of that particular area are symetrical except for the single post. I'm still bewildered as usual.)

All in all this is a well made and well thought out printer that should last for several years or more depending on the amount of prints prepared. I fully enjoy Canon's quality and attention to detail. This MX922 has the attention to details that one would expect from a quality camera maker and every element is reflected in a top notch machine for a reasonable price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Catch 22 of Printers, April 30, 2013
Printer Head alignment fails. Support Code 2500. Retry still fails need to read manual. Manual is on install disk. To run the setup program need a functioning printer. Need manual for printer to function.

Ok download the manual from Canon's website. It's a pdf file that is compressed in an exe file. Double click to open. Double click nothing, fails to extract. Ok use a third party program to extract the manuals. Run through it again. new error.

Support Code 6000. Follow instruction still no go. Resit urge to throw printer out window.

Call Canon support.

Automated help line. Asks quite a few questions about my problem and then transfers me to the right rep. System error transfer to rep who asks me all the same questions again and then transfers me to another rep. Run through the same instructions in the manual. Doesn't work told I need to return the Printer.

Go through Amazons returns. Need to print out return labels. If only I had a functioning printer to print out the labels.

1.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, June 5, 2013
I had a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 that work flawlessly until it suddenly died. So I replaced it with this printer. We were all excited, especially my wife so that she didn't have to walk all the way to my office, plug the usb cord to print. It work as a charm for a few days. And now the wireless function gives an error 6901. It says Cancel Printing but there is NOWHERE on the printer where you can do that. There no manual also. We turned it off, unplugged it, turned off the wi-fi but without any results. We went back to the "old fashion corded way" and it prints.

The other thing I don't like is that it takes 5 good mn to get ready, so we just leave it on all the time. I hate to waste electricity but I also hate to wait those 5mn.

I don't recommend this printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of Junk - don't buy this printer, July 23, 2013
I have never written a product review before. But this printer compelled me to do it. Bought this printer about 3 months ago and have never been happy with it. It just takes toooo long to prepare itself before it can print or copy. It goes into these non-stop spinning cycles where its doing .. God know what.. but just makes this annoying noise as if its checking every single component of the printer. Sometimes I'd love for this printer to just print/copy without performing all the 7024 system checks that it does. Oh so annoying!!
Finding a new printer soon...

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far No Complaints Here!, March 13, 2013
gprez (Taylor, MI) - See all my reviews
I received my Cannon MX922 Wireless Color Printer with Scanner and Fax yesterday. After receiving numerous complaints from my lovely wife whom I bought an i pad 3 for last year on her birthday, and she wouldn't let up on me about how she couldn't print to our old printer with it. In addition I just purchased three i phone 5's, and two Google Chromebooks for our grand kids so I guess you can say I had no choice.

I absolutely love this printer! (Especially the 50% off paper supplies promo-code), that I got just for registering with Cannon.

It's wireless capabilities are endless and you can set it up to your home network without a computer. I also just purchased a Cannon T4i Rebel Camera, so I also wanted the ability to use the Cannon PIXMA MX 922 to print my pictures for my renewed photo hobby, and the organizing/editing software that comes with this printer is also amazing!

So if you are looking for a multi-function printer with an automatic document feeder with auto duplexing that can print(Even from full HD movie stills), scan, and fax with built-in WiFi for printing(Even from wireless cameras) and scanning from your home network that also includes PIXMA Cloud Link, and Apple Air-Print, which lets you wirelessly print from your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch devices, and is also Google Cloud Print ready, this is the printer for you!