4.0 out of 5 stars Meets my expectations
I purchased this printer for my office two reasons. First, I wanted to be able to print from my phone or ipad wirelessly. Second, I wanted a decent color printer for once-in-a-while color prints. I set the machine up and tested it a short while ago and here’s my feedback:

• Printer comes with a CD that helps you with the set up process. I suggest...
Published 14 months ago by JOHN

3.0 out of 5 stars Suggest Considering MG5420 or MG7520/MG7120 instead
Review for: MG5520 Inkjet, Copier, Scanner

[12/11/2014 NOTE: I suggest looking at the Canon PIXMA MG7520 or Canon PIXMA MG7120 if you are interested in the MG series printers in 2014/2015]

OVERVIEW:
-----------

This is definitely NOT a sweet spot in the Canon MG/MX line-up.

One would think the MG5520 is the replacement for...
Published 13 months ago by Neil E. Isenberg

‹ Previous | 1 2 383 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless and time wasting feature clutter, February 10, 2014
This review is from: Canon PIXMA Color Photo Printer MG5520, Black (Office Product)
This printer is shiny, sleek looking on the surface. Then you start actually using it and you realise these fundamental errors:

1. A little flimsy plastic arm that deploys in the front where it can most easily be bumped and broken. Why?
2. A minuscule paper tray that has to constantly be refilled. Why?
3. Last but no least.. A software suite with an inane and useless number of features. You can just imagine the out-of-control, boss and consensus pleasing, engineers who keep adding more and more features instead of focusing their product to what it is meant to do.

One example I laughed at: you can select and add your own custom music file to play when the machine scans a document. Why?? I don't have time to review all these silly, never ending options. I want to push one button and get on with the day. It took forever to get a few documents scanned and I am very technically savvy. One company had the same syndrome, Nokia, all their products had the same engineering-featuritis disease. We all know what happened to Nokia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box works awesome., December 20, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
out of the box works awesome.

Started by taking all the tape off and installing ink cartridges. These are especially cool because a light turns on when they are installed correctly, so you know when they are working or not. After all of the ink I installed the software (which is available on the CD as well as on Cannons website) and connected it to the wireless router. Surprisingly easy to connect with the software on the PC as well as the printer.

I noticed there is an app for this type of cannon printers, downloaded it, and printed photos and documents from my phone. Awesome. This is especially helpful because I'm often working from Googles cloud to write papers and print them.

After the software it asked for a test print, which worked fine, and then you scan the test print so it can align the print head.

I printed some photos I took on my phone and they turned out OK. A bit dark because it was a night photo, but still turned out really good considering. The printer takes all sorts of paper for photo prints.

Scanner function works just as well. Sends scanned images to your computer the software is installed on or USB drive in the printer.

overall, really awesome.

way better than a brother printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality print.. faster than a trotoise, November 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have the MG5420 and love the quality of print. We received the MG5520 through the Vine. It is very similar to the 5420. The MG5520 clacks, groans (figuratively)...makes nose...not loud, but noticeable.. just like the 5420. The biggest difference between the two is that the 5420 has a separate snap shot photo paper tray and the 5520 doesn't. Not a serious issue, but a curious one. The print quality is great. The speed isn't great compared to some other printers, but for the general price you'll pay... it is acceptable. Speed printing cost. If you expect quality and speed, be ready to lay out some bucks. For a home printer, this is not a bad choice. It won't break the budget, and it'll give you quality printing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Less then impressed with this newer model, looks are the most it has going for itself, December 30, 2013
@homemom (Jersey Shore, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit it, I'm a sucker for white (or chocolate brown) electronics, and I love that Canon is coming out with some really trendy/fun colored printers these days... what I'm not thrilled about is that they are cutting other corners when they do so. This is my 3rd Pixma printer and the first I wouldn't recommend for most people (at least not as an only printer). I have the direct predecessor to this one and it's a workhorse... prints quickly, has a great high resolution for printing & scanning and 1pl (inkdrop size, smaller = better image). In comparison this printer maxes out at 4800 x 1200 DPI and is a 2pl system... and while the prints are still fine, there is an obvious difference between them and my other printer (especially when printing small images, I do a lot of jewelry/resin work with prints and couldn't use this printer for that reason, which really is unfortunate as I wanted to set it up in my craft room).

That said, it's by no means an awful printer. If you only occasionally print photos, and are looking for an attractive all in one which offers wireless printing it's a great little printer. I've had no issues printing from my cell phone or tablet. Getting it up and on our network was quick and easy and it connects & prints very quickly wirelessly.

I've opted to give it to my almost 10yr old daughter, who has no issues printing (even direct from her camera card), and for whom the print quality is more than sufficient. If you're looking for a sole printer, or plan to do photo printing I would check some of the other Canon models and look for a 1pl and higher resolution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, April 16, 2014
I you want to use the wireless DO NOT BUY

I bought this product based on the quality of Canon. In fact if the print quality is ok the wireless doesn’t work at all. it’s a nightmare.
After several call with Canon and Geeksquad we thought that it was my printer. Amazon with their perfect customer service sent me a new one.....same issue....I had a old lexmark able to work in wireless with the same network and it was fine. With this one the wireless system shut down at 90%....Just unbelievable....

A big thank you to Amazon for the customer service very efficient If i can exchange with an other brand for the same kind of product I will be more than happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes, Amazon reviews annoy me., December 6, 2014
I don't understand people's problem with this printer. This thing is a solid 5/5. Let me explain:

Right out of the box with the "installation" inks, I was able to print 500 pages, some black and white mixed with color pictures. Specifically, it was the R32 Skyline repair manual. PDF. I used duplexing. ON HIGH QUALITY! My pigment black is low, but that's it. Everything else is about 50-60%

If you're having an issue with the wifi, that's 99% user error. I pressed one button and it connected.

If you're having an issue with print speed while duplexing, you need to turn the 'ink dry' setting to its lowest.

Photos are so, so on this printer. Of course, i'm comparing them to a pixma pro 9000 MK II, so for the MG5520, this is a good printer.

If you were lucky like I was to see this printer on amazon for 44 dollars. Yes. It was on sale for 44 dollars; you made out like a bandit. This printer *muah* perfect for home / medium duty work.

It holds 100 pages (i actually fit 120) in the tray. It's not a loud printer. At all.

The tray where the output paper is held is a bit weak, but this is NOT meant to hold a ream of paper. Stop trying to break things, and then blaming it on Canon.

Something I find amazing is that precisioncolors.com has ink with modified cardridges. I bought their kit for this printer. 60 bucks, and you're set forever (4 oz kit).

Don't purchase this printer expecting:
Professional quality photos
Laser printing speeds
high paper storage quantity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall a good printer for the home office, December 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this printer because my former one would not allow me to print from my iPad or iPhone. I was very pleased to see that this one does, with the addition of a single app. It accesses your photo roll and you can print anything from that.

The print quality is fine, and just what I need for a home office. I don't really use it to print photos, but I have toyed around with it and the colors, while not exact, are very close.

One of the greatest perks to this printer is the ability to print on both sides of a sheet of paper. That has been a tremendous help as I often print longer documents and my paper consumption is greatly reduced.

As far as drawbacks go, my only concern is that it seems to take a very long time to wake itself and get ready to print. This can be irritating, especially if I'm in a hurry to print information or coupons.

Overall, it works very well for my purposes. I like being able to print wirelessly from anywhere in the house.

1.0 out of 5 stars Software glitch remains unfixed, so printer doesn't work., June 5, 2014
It printed wirelessly and beautifully from my laptop for about a month. Then is started to refuse to print because "Another computer is using the printer." There is no other computer. Emptying the print queue, rebooting, shutting everything down and up again (as Canon's "forum" suggested) -- nothing works. There are numerous reports on line about this same problem, going back two years, so there has been plenty of time for Canon to fix it. So, I guess this Canon printer is going to the landfill, and I'll get another Hewlett-Packard instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult setup, noisy and marginal quality, March 25, 2014
I bought this printer from Amazon during a daily deal hoping to replace my old brother printer. The setup was far more difficult than I expected and ultimately required me to call the Canon for technical support. After 59 minutes on the phone with Canon I was able to get a page to wirelessly print. The printer had an issue accepting an IP address from my Belkin (and Netgear) router, once the IPv6 was manually turned off, the printer connected to my router and computer without an problem. Once I was able to send a page to the printer I found it took a really long time to "warm up" before the printer actually started to print, and the actual printing function was really noisy compared with previous printers. The quality of the printer and buttons seem marginal, the buttons are plastic with heavy clunky contacts, whereas previous printers for the approximately the same price have rubber buttons with soft quiet contacts. The looks are so so as well, very basic and nothing fancy about it.

All in all, I gave this product three starts due to the functionality available and the deal price. Two stars were taken off for the quality and the installation problems I encountered.

1.0 out of 5 stars Choose another....., February 21, 2014
This must be one of Canon's worse offerings. Large footprint, deposits pages onto the floor because the receiving tray is too short, alignment fades in and out cause some print to look almost italic, very loud and the software doesn't load properly leaving some features inoperable. Does NOT turn itself on as suggested. Worse printer I've ever purchased. I'll toss it or give it to someone willing to get by with inferior performance. Canon...... you lost me for life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 383 | Next ›