5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the prices
Like others, it would have been nice to have an extra pocket for batteries. However, it didn't negatively sway my decision about purchasing the bag. Keeping the camera safe was my first priority. I wasn't concerned about having a pocket for an extra memory card. You can by an 8GIG card and shouldn't need another one handy for a picture shoot.

The camera...
Published on November 29, 2008 by David Hamilton

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad
The good: It fits the camera nicely without a lot of extra bulk. It is very soft protective material inside. It utilizes the camera strap instead of having its own.
Published on October 23, 2008 by Cheeseheadj

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, October 23, 2008
This review is from: Canon PSC-4000 PowerShot Deluxe Soft Leather Case (Black) (Electronics)
The bad: It doesn't have the pouch inside for a spare SD card and set of spare batteries like the case for the Canon S5 had. Also, not as big a deal as the pouch is that in addition to the zippers on the sides, it has 2 little magnetic closure things like some cell phone cases have. They never seem to line up correctly so that they engage each other and don't hold well. Nothing but the zippers or a piece of velcro would be better.
All-in-all, I would have given it 5 stars if it had a pouch/pocket either inside or out for 1 spare SD and 1 spare set of AA batteries. Now you will have to carry them separately.

3.0 out of 5 stars What was I thinking?, January 16, 2009
I recently purchased a Canon Powershot SX10IS 10MP Digital Camera with 20x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom from the world's largest electronic retailer. Giddy with anticipation of its arrival, I surveyed all the gotta-have accessories to accompany this particular camera - case, mini-tripod, memory card, lens cap tether, and 18-year old lingerie model. The memory card, lens cap tether (Bower CK501 Lens Cap Keeper), and case I ordered almost immediately.

Anyway, I've since received both the camera and the CANON PSC-4000 DELUXE LEATHER CASE. Consistent with other reviews of the latter, it seems generally well-constructed, the leather pleasingly soft and pliable, and with room to cradle the camera snugly. However, I also confirm the observations of fellow users regarding the overall design; the magnetic closures are disconcertingly cheesy, and the lack of secondary pockets for extra batteries, second memory card, and chewing gum for the model is an inconvenience. I'm sending the case back, but not for either of these two reasons.

I'm not sure what I was thinking; it must have been a conceptual block. If used, the case would hang from around my neck by the strap attached to the camera. So, if I took the camera out to actually take a snap, where would I stash the case? Cast aside somewhere, obviously, where it could easily be forgotten while I'm distracted, e.g. during the lingerie photo shoot.

For perhaps less money than I spent on the PSC-4000, I'm sure I can find a sturdy general-duty bag at the local brick-and-mortar camera store that has lots of pockets and can stay tethered to me at all times even while, um, busy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the prices, November 29, 2008

The camera fits snug in the bag. It's a nice fit. I like that the camera's strap is also used for the bag. It's a smart idea in order to keep the bag compact.

I highly suggest purchasing this camera bag. it's a small investment for protecting your camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of a protective cover than a carrying case - perfect if that's what you want, February 11, 2010
This case is exactly what I wanted, and a lot of the low ratings here are simply indicative of people who didn't actually want this type of camera case.

I fly a lot and a bulky camera case doesn't happen to fit well inside my laptop roller carry on. I needed the bare minimum case that would cover the camera and not add any bulk so that the camera could fit inside my medium travel purse as I can't have yet another "item" to carry on a plane. This is absolutely perfect for that purpose. Since Canon still hasn't quite figured out the magic behind a lens cap that stays on all the time, I couldn't risk just throwing the camera in naked in case other items in my purse hit up against the lens. This case adds almost no bulk to the camera, is well made, and protects it very well against other items in the same bag.

As a result, no it does not really hold anything extra. It is not a "carrying system" for your camera and accessories. I can fit my USB memory card reader or an SD card loose inside the case, but not extra batteries, for example. Do not buy this case if you want a dedicated travel item for all your photography needs. Read other reviews here carefully, and you'll see that most people who are disappointed in the case expected it to do what it's not designed to do.

This is what you want for a "case within a case" situation, for example if you want to throw your camera in a larger bag or purse. It doesn't even come with its own strap, so that should tell you that it's more of a protective cover than a carrying solution. I am absolutely thrilled with this product. It's a good, snug fit and appears to be high quality material and manufacturing. A few people seemed to mention it didn't fit the SX10/SX20 but that's not my experience at all. It's a perfect, custom fit. I looked everywhere for something like this, finding mostly bags that added bulk, and it's exactly what I needed.

If you fly for business and have to worry about carrying on a laptop and a large camera, then you probably don't want a separate camera carrying case anyway. I also don't want a big carrying case if I'm out touring. Memory cards are large enough now that I don't even come close to filling a 16GB card in a day, and AA batteries are strong enough now that I usually won't have to change batteries in a day of sightseeing, either. So why do I need a bulky carrying case for a bulky camera in addition to whatever purse/day bag I might be carrying? If you have an SX10 or SX20, then you are probably good to go with the memory card and batteries inside the camera, freshly emptied/charged for the day. It's not that difficult to stash a memory card inside the case if you really need a second one, and throw batteries in your purse. For me, the camera is bulky enough for frequent flying/traveling. I didn't want yet another item to complicate matters, so this worked for me. If that's your situation, too, then this is exactly what you want.

UPDATE late 2012: I've since upgraded to the SX40 which is a bigger camera and I'm so disappointed that Canon didn't make another version of this case for the newer, larger models. I'm back to using a bulky bag within my carryon bag, and my search for something as great as this case continues. The PSC-4100 is a completely different kind of case, and according to reviewers, isn't large enough for the SX40 anyway. This case made my life so much easier, and I really miss having it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a case people, not a bag. It's perfect too!, September 8, 2010
I am shocked at the number of reviews slamming this case for not being MORE than it claims to be. It's a CASE not a bag. It is meant to be small, snug and easily portable. It is all of these and more. It is well made, attractive and available here at amazon for $10 shipped.
The facts: The case is designed to be used WITH your camera's strap. A small looped strap is provided for this purpose. The little loop allows you to wear the camera around your neck in the case. You can remove it from the case to take pics and the case will remain attached to the strap. You don't have to ask someone to hold it or, put it downand risk it "walking away".
The camera fits perfectly. You can reverse the lens hood to fit it in the case as well. A simple and common practice.
There is a belt loop as well, which is very convenient. Thereby providing 2 options for carrying.
There is no extra room at all. No extra pockets for memory cards or batteries. Canon doesn't make any claims of additional storage so, I never expected any.
It is very nice looking. The interior is lined with a suede like material which is very gentle on the camera.
It closes with 2 zippers and 2 snaps which work perfectly.
The dimensions are posted wherever it is sold so anyone who expected it to be bigger really should work at being a better consumer. If you research your purchase you are much more likely to be satisfied with what you buy.

I bought this case because I wanted something snug and small. I don't want to put anything else in the case. I have a memory card capable of holding more photos than 2 sets of batteries would allow. I always make sure my batteries are fresh before I head out. It's exactly what I expected it to be. It looks great too. 5 stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay At Best, February 12, 2009
John C. Smith "The Bostonian" (Brighton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first got my new Canon PowerShot SX10IS (which is a really GREAT camera), I figured the case was designed for the camera by Canon. How could anyone go wrong? Bad assumption on my part.

The case is too small, to the point it leaves VERY little room to actually fit the camera in with its included neck strap. The case itself is in need of a neck strap/handle option vs. its apparent goal of being belt attached.

The manner in which the camera opens/closes is quite awkward as well in that you have to be careful as to how you open the bag up so that the camera does not fall out. A very major ergonomics design flaw.

Lastly, while barely fitting the camera, it also does not provide a pocket or storage provision for batteries, memory cards, etc. . This is a practical convenience feature that seemed to say this bag was designed for form not function.

On a good note, it is a very nice looking camera bag, and the leather seems of good durable quality. When the camera is tightly positioned into the bag, it looks very clean and neat. Ultimately, I was disappointed that this bag was sub-par since Canon usually makes great products, and the camera it was designed for is just amazing.

In summary, strongly recommend getting the camera this bag was made for, but invest your money elsewhere in getting another bag with more room, better storage/compartment options, and a handle/strap capability.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deluxe case for SX10IS, March 27, 2009
I was very disappointed in the case made for the SX10 camera. Although it is made well, it is too small for the camera. It's difficult to close the case around the camera and keeps popping open at the top. There is no room for the lens shade or extra batteries and even the carry strap is difficult to get inside. Had I know how small the case was I would have never ordered it.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste you money!, May 14, 2009
Don't waste your money! Yes it is made of nice leather and it has a soft interior but what case worth buying wouldn't? I have three major issues with this case:
1. if you want to add a UV lenses protector or polarized filter the case will barely close.
2. there are NO pockets for extra sd cards, batteries. etc.
3. the strap is short and it has no padding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right case, January 6, 2009
A perfect fit for the Canon SX10 IS assuming
one reads the instructions about stowing with
lens hood mounted in "reverse" position.
Solid construction, well padded, and clever
button/zipper combination for secure fastening
allowing quick opening with single motion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Designed Case, February 11, 2009
Only one reasonably good comment. The case is attractive.

There is no practical way to attach a shoulder strap to the case. The case must be set aside when the camera is not in it unless the case is strapped to your belt. There is zero room for camera supplies. The camera does not exit the case with ease. I will never use this case. Saying this case was designed for the Canon SX10 is a figment of imagination. This case should be rated zero.