5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published on April 22, 2009 by OkeyPlus

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum 8.5" x 11"
Get best results with Canon Photo Paper Pro II. Also a little bit less pricey. Using Canon 9000 Pixmar Pro.
Could not tell any difference that would justify the extra money spend on this type of paper.
Published on June 9, 2009 by Marco Sillus

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 22, 2009
OkeyPlus (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 20 Sheets (2768B022) (Office Product)
I got a Canon Pro9000 printer over a year ago, and ever since then I've been experimenting with different papers. I order sample packs from paper companies such as Red River, Hahnemuhle, Ilford, and of course the native Canon paper. Since I was a total beginner when it comes to printing, I kept detailed notes in OneNote, compared the same image on different papers, calibrated my monitor, used soft proofing, etc. My goal was to find a paper that I love and that had predictable results from monitor to print.

After much toil and compromise with the 3rd party brands, I realized that Canon's Photo Paper Pro was a high-quality, consistent paper. It wasn't an exciting discovery - using the expensive paper from the printer manufacturer instead of discovering some money-saving yet exotic specialty paper - but at least my prints were looking good.

Then as I was restocking on ink, I noticed that Canon updated their product line, releasing Photo Paper Pro II and Photo Paper Pro Platinum. Intrigued, I ordered a 20-pack of letter sized Platinum. Sure enough, soon I had a chance to shoot a portrait of a friend of mine that had many vivid colors, high dynamic range, and a great level of detail. I did a small shoot-out between some Red River paper, Photo Paper Pro (the original), and the Platinum. I won't labor you with the details, but when I printed on Photo Paper Pro after a few Red River misses, I sighed with relief - the colors were rich and faithful, and the image looked great. I then pushed the envelope and printed with Platinum. Wow!!! It got even better! The differences were subtle, but perceptible. The Platinum seemed to have a bit more "pop", probably owing to its higher brightness.

For a recent gallery showing, I printed a couple dozen more prints on this Platinum paper, and got a good feel for its performance. I found that soft proofing wasn't really necessary with this paper - it looked very faithful to the screen without having to bring anything back into the gamut. Despite being a brighter base paper, the prints came out a bit darker than some of the other papers I was messing around with. A bump of 5% to brightness in Qimage did the trick. The colors also seemed a bit less saturated. This is a tough one to make a call on - I'm used to Canon's idea of colors (whether camera-processed JPG or their super-glossy paper) being a bit too much on the Disney side, so I was actually appreciative of a more subdued default. A saturation boost of 2% or 3% did the trick. Note that the "unsaturated" colors were still plenty deep and rich, just not quite as punchy.

I'm going to try the Photo Paper Pro II next to see if it's a good middle point between the (already good) Photo Paper Pro and this beautiful but expensive Platinum. This paper definitely earns its name - it's the top of the line with a price to match. I didn't see a world of difference between this and the old Photo Paper Pro in terms of visuals, but Canon claims that the archival qualities in this paper are state of the art, and I believe them. So for prints I really care about, I'm all about the Pro Plat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive quality!!!, November 29, 2008
I purchased this paper to give it a try on my Pixma Pro 9000 printer. I generally don't like photos printed on glossy paper as I prefer a semi gloss or lustre finish. I print a lot of 13 x 19 photos. Anyhow I printed out some wildlife pictures shot in Africa and was blown away by both the depth of the color and the sharpness of the images. I wish I could show you a sample of the output as a picture is worth a thousand words in this situation. I can highly recommend this paper for the pixma pro 9000. I can't speak to how it might perform on other printers as I haven't tried it on any others but on the pro 9000 I would have to give it an A+. Yes, it is expensive $$$, but if the output is important enough it's worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great paper, great color, great photos, June 28, 2010
For comparison purposes, I have compared the Canon Photo Paper Platinum to Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II, 4 x 6 Inches, 100 Sheets (2311B023) that came with my printer (Canon PIXMA MP990 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer (3749B002)).

For a casual photographer or hobbyist, I don't believe there is a real valid difference in the paper quality itself. In terms of the way the paper feels, the Pro Platinum feels like a heavier stock, only slightly and only because I had the two types of paper in my hands at the same time. If I didn't, I never would have been able to tell a difference. Comparing the brightness of the two, the Pro Platinum is ever so slightly brighter than the Plus Glossy II.

Where the Pro Platinum has the edge, however, is archival ability. Using the Pro Platinum with Canon ink will, supposedly, last for up to 200 years if stored in an archival photo album. I still haven't found the statistics for the Glossy II paper, but the previous generation of paper the Glossy II replaced was tested to last up to 25 years in an archival album. If you're not printing to have family heirloom style photos and don't care if it doesn't last for more than a couple years, obviously you won't waste money on the Pro Platinum.

Comparing the same photo from the same original and the same printer between the two paper types, there is a slight perception of brightness/vividness in the photos on the Pro Platinum. I did a blind test with some family members whom all preferred the Pro Platinum, but generally only just barely. Few could discern a huge difference in the two. Color representation more closely matched the original colors on my calibrated monitor, but only slightly better than the Glossy II.

From this paper I have seen some amazing print productions that are without a doubt professional in quality. But I've seen similar results from the Glossy II and since I'm not an artist or professional, my eye may not be as trained as a pro and as such if you're just a hobbyist, be aware that this paper looks great, but so does the Glossy II.

However, given the beefier stock of the Pro Platinum, and the brighter white, I will most likely be sticking with the Pro Platinum for the prints I want vivid color and more accurate color representation from. With Amazon's current price for 100 sheets (about $.16 compared to $.10 for Glossy II), this is a great deal, but for some the difference may not even be worth the $.06.

Personally I will continue to buy the Pro Platinum paper until Amazon raises the price as for me an extra $.10 per sheet isn't worth it. Yes, it's only $.10 but with how much I print, it will definitely pay in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent paper -- and cheap on Amazon, May 31, 2009
The Pro Platinum paper is extraordinary. Paired with a Pixma Pro 9000, it produces stunning art-quality prints.

It is A++.

One caveat however -- this paper is probably overkill on a "standard" inkjet printer and probably a waste of money. Go with Glossy II paper for a normal printer I think.

One other note -- the real cost of printing is INK, not paper, even at this level of quality. Act accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Great Paper, November 2, 2008
Consistently rich with depth and clarity. It is also heavy with maximum resistance to wrinkling. Canon claims exceptional archival properties. I will write a followup in 200 years and let you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome paper and awesome results, October 15, 2008
Harry (Right Here, USA) - See all my reviews
Heavyweight and beautiful! Best photo paper I have ever used! Stunning sharpness and vivid color from my Canon Pro9000 printer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Look's great, December 9, 2009
This photo paper is pretty good. I have no real complaint. The only negative thing I can think of is that for half the price you can get "Canon's Photo Paper Plus Glossy II" without any noticeable difference in quality. I bought both and printed the same images using both the Pro Platinum and Plus Glossy II and saw no noticeable difference. So because of that, I deducted one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Glossy Paper, January 22, 2009
Amazon Customer (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This paper is far, far superior to the other glossy papers out there.

The color rendition is superb, as is the out-of-the-box contrast and brightness.

It makes you want to toss your stock of older glossy papers.

Can't recommend it enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Canon Photo Paper Pro Platinum 8.5" x 11", June 9, 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Platinum Pro vs. Photo Pro II, June 12, 2011
Dr. Larry Couture (Claremont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am not a professional, but I have been into photography for about 25 years. I now print through Lightroom 3 or PS5 using a calibrated IPS monitor with a Canon 9000 MkII and use only Canon ink. What I don't print myself I print through Bay Photo, who usually do a fantastic job, so I tend to compare my prints to those from Bay Photo.

I was not happy with Canon's Glossy II or the Photo Pro II because I felt colors were a bit washed out and the blacks were unimpressive, so I tried the Platinum Pro. To compare the Platinum Pro to the Photo Pro II, I printed a series of 10 photos at 4x6 that ranged in color content from starry night skies, sunrises, reef fish, amusement park rides, wedding shots, macro bug shots, landscapes, and B&W covering many of the color matching problems I've ran into. YMMV, but here's my observations:

First off these two papers are very different. Physically, The Platinum Pro paper achieves final color after only a few hours while the Photo Paper Pro II takes about 48 hours to fully set. Also, the Platinum Pro paper feels stiffer, but this may be due to a resin coating on the paper, and it definitely lies flatter after it is dried. Color wise, the difference in "most" of the photos is amazing and very evident - the Platinum Pro is nothing less than impressive. As Canon claims, the Platinum Pro displays a noticeably expanded red gamut and much deeper blacks. The difference is significant and can be amazing with some prints (e.g. sunrise over Mt. Haleakala - simply spectacular on the Platinum Pro, nice but unimpressive on the Photo Pro II). All pics with blacks or dark shadows, such as tuxedos in wedding shots, were noticeably darker and more saturated in these areas. Shots with lots of red are where the color differences are most noticeable, as Canon would have one expect, but blue skies (e.g. a carousel shot against a bright sky with the saturation bumped up in PS5), also were noticeably more saturated.

For some photos, the increased red gamut and saturation and the deeper blacks makes the shots "pop" in a way I have not seen with other Canon papers, and usually only see on metallic or other commercial prints. The concern I have with the Platinum Pro is the expanded red ends up being a bit over saturated on people shots, particularly with pale skinned people with a hint of red tone. Some wedding prints were clearly over saturated in this area. Also, the deep blacks do seem to cause some loss of detail (those tuxedos again), though IMO this is offset by the richness of the blacks. The overall reservation I have with the Platinum Pro paper, and the reason I give it only 4 stars, is the overall affect on a lot of shots is over saturation. Some people argue that Canon favors the "Disney" look in colors and there is a bit of this with the Platinum Pro paper. This is definitely not the case with the Photo Paper Pro II, but that paper has a slight under saturation problem in my hands. I like the "pop" on many of the shots and know, now, what to expect, so it is an easy task to tone down the red (or blue) saturation, particularly in flesh toned shots if I need to.

Where the Platinum completely fell apart in my tests was with B&W prints. The good part is the paper produced B&Ws with an amazingly neutral bright white, whereas the Photo Pro II looks much closer to the Glossy II paper, and both have a noticeable tint. Unfortunately, there is a noticeable loss of detail in the Platinum Pro paper with B&W. The loss of detail was, for me, very unexpected and completely unacceptable. I did not see this loss of detail in the color shots. I've only printed two B&W on this paper and will print more to further test this, but detail was clearly lost in both prints. The Photo Pro II and the Glossy II produced much better B&W prints.

Overall, the types of photos I print look better on the Platinum Pro, so it will be my new [Canon] paper of choice for color prints, but I will have to adjust the saturation for flesh toned prints. For B&W? Well, so far, I have not tried any Canon product that impresses me, at least not on this printer. There are lots of other choices out there that are favored for B&W printing, and the PIXMA 9000 MKII is not noted for it's B&W capabilities anyway, so for this review I was more interested in color prints, and the Platinum Pro is without a doubt an impressive paper.