Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 questions
votes
votes
A few things... on the up-side the camera has a particularly large sensor as compared to most other point & shoot or advanced point & shoot cameras. Physically large sensors are generally much better at dealing with low light and in that regard this camera does very well. The zoom range is a bit more limited than some of the other offerings and the camera does not focus to particularly close focusing distances (Canon makes a close-up adapter but that's an optional accessory.) The G series camera tend to popular among photographers who own DSLRs but want a 2nd camera for situations where a DSLR is either not permitted or just not practical. I bought one because most concert venues do not allow any camera with a "removable lens". The camera does have a hot-shoe (a won't own a camera unless it has a hot-shoe for external flash) and also has an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder might not seem like a big deal, but in bright sunlight it's difficult to use the rear LCD on most cameras... hence the viewfinder is a good idea in bright sunlight. There is now a G1 X II (you are asking about the original G1 X). The II adds a lot of nice features, although they do drop the physical viewfinder. I should mention... it's built like a tank. Though it's hard to tell from the marketing photos, the body is metal. It's heavy and feels like it's metal. My camera fell about 3-1/2 feet onto a sidewalk. It sustained a "minor nick" in one corner and everything is working perfectly. When the camera fell, time practically comes to a stop, the mind races, and you have visions of a camera smashed into many tiny pieces. I was QUITE surprised that the only damage was a tiny nick in one corner. So yes... I'm glad it's got a very durable body. As for the software... Canon knows that many new computers no longer include a slot drive for loading software. All of the new cameras have a download link to get everything that would normally be on the CD/DVD installed via download instead. So yes, you can get the software... but there is a "catch". The catch is that if you go to the Canon download page for THIS camera, you won't see the option to download all the software. It will only list "updates" to bring the software that was included on the disk to the latest version(s). That's because this camera was released prior Canon bundling the software for internet download. But you can still get it. Instead, you might want to go to the page for the new version "II" of this camera and get it from that page. It's the SAME software (it comes with ImageBrowser (although given that you're on a Mac you'll probably prefer to use iPhoto or opt for "Aperture" (Apple's professional grade photo software which you buy via the "App Store") as well as "Camera Window" (remotely controls the camera via USB tethered connection), "Photo Stitch" (to create panoramic images) and "Digital Photo Professional" (image editing/adjustment software.) Also... if you have any other computer you can use Apple's "Remote Disc" option built into Mavericks... any other computer's slot drive can be borrowed by your Mac... even Windows computers.)
Apr 2, 2014 by T. Campbell
vote
It performs well indoors, but undoubtedly a camera with a faster lens (f2) might be better. On the other hand, I find that the control over the flash output that the G1X allows is excellent, and few other cameras have this feature. For indoor work I usually connect the 270 EX ll Speedlite which is controlled by the camera, as the range of the built-in flash is limited. Without flash the excellent optics and image processing technology ensure that indoor shots within say 12-15 feet are as good as any produced on a mid range DSLR. Hope this is helpful.
Oct 16, 2013 by Neil Bailey
votes
Afraid not. It's fixed during recording.
Mar 31, 2014 by PhotoBug
votes
I am familiar with the problem, but don't know the answer. The autofocus is too slow and frustrating when trying to take quick shots. I am looking for a replacement camera.
Feb 24, 2014 by T. J. Pryhoda
votes
Yes. The G1X can store two custom white balances.
Dec 23, 2013 by Coronet Blue
votes
votes
No, it doesn't do it in the camera, but the Panorama mode will take shots continuously and the software provided with the camera will stitch them together. I often find that the 16:9 aspect ratio gets me the results I want without the fuss.
Dec 1, 2014 by D. Jeffrey Blumenthal
votes
G1x has an optical viewfinder if it's ever needed. Lens is 4X zoom which I find adequate. This lower zoom ratio is due to the large image sensor and the desire to keep the lens short. The Large image sensor works very well in low light conditions is a good trade off. At ISO 16000 an 8 second exposure of landscape illuminated by full moonlight has very little grain.
Nov 19, 2014 by Chingas Lee
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers