1,004 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good point-and-shoot entry level camera
Got this yesterday and like it, had Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) before. Just to note, PowerShot A2500 is an entry-level pocket camera which is very similar to PowerShot A2300: 16-megapixel 1/2.3" sensor, DiGiC 4 processor, and 5x zoom 28mm wide angle lens, 2.7" LCD. Even 720p HD video capabilities are the same...
Published 14 months ago by David

Published 11 months ago by B. Storrs

4.0 out of 5 stars Good point-and-shoot entry level camera, May 10, 2013

Pros:

1. What really distinguishes it from its predecessor is Smart Auto Mode recognizing 32 shooting environments and adjusts settings for better quality. It automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on the environmental factors (lightning I guess) to provide point'n'shoot simplicity.

2. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear. High resolution is also good for producing biggest printouts.

3. 5x Optical Zoom is sufficient in most cases.

4. DIGIC 4 Image Processor. Not as fast as DIGIC 5 though fast and powerful enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with reliable performance and low battery consumption. As far as I know DIGIC 4 is currently Canon's most efficient processor for budget cameras. BTW it has some Eco mode, that is said to be providing even faster warm-up times and saves the standard battery, but I haven't tested it yet.

5. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, can take it everywhere.

6. Price tag - $99. You can't get any better camera for the price.

Cons:

1. Like A2300 it lacks optical image stabilization, though it's got digital image stabilization.

2. 1/2.3" sensor. Well, entry level CCD providing good pictures, not of a DSLR quality, that's all I can say.

Summary:

Sure this is not the best camera in the world. I definitely knew it when I bought the camera. BUT, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of pictures I shot.

If you're like me (not a pro) and looking for a budget point-and-shoot camera taking family photos and events, mostly shoot in daylight or good lighting, I'd definitely recommend it, taking into account its price tag of $99 - just about right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good camera for the price, July 16, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A2500 16MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 2.7-Inch LCD (Red) (Electronics)
This is my 6th point and shoot (P&S) camera in 9 years, ranging in price from $200-$300. I have had 1 Bell & Howell, 3 Nikons and this is my 2nd Canon P&S camera. The last 2 P&S cameras I had I literally wore out by taking so many pictures. I bought this as a second camera for my husband (who doesn't usually take pictures) to use when he goes hunting with my son. I chose a Canon because I have a Canon DSLR and love it. I also wanted an inexpensive camera, because I thought it would sit on the shelf for most of the year. Of course it did not come with a memory card, as I have yet to buy any camera that does.

To test this camera, after shooting indoors for a bit, I took it to the park. Luckily, what started out as a sunny day turned cloudy, allowing me to test the camera in different lighting. This is a typical low priced P&S camera. Like all P&S cameras, this one performs best in bright, outdoor lighting. However, the ease of use and quality of pictures for the small price tag makes this a good buy. This is one of the better P&S cameras I have had.

Although no instruction manual was in the box (other than the very basics), it was easy to figure out how to manually set this camera, which is a must for me. I liked the fact that it has a PROGRAM setting, which allows me to set a program manually. Even if I switch to another setting, it saves my manual settings, allowing me to switch back and forth between settings. That was great when I tested it, because the lighting went from sunny to cloudy and back again. I could easily switch from AUTO to LANDSCAPE to PROGRAM (my manually programmed settings) and back, depending on lighting and activity, all while holding my 6 month old. The pictures I took while holding my baby (who was trying to grab the camera) of my 4 other children who were riding a moving train turned out surprisingly good. I also manually adjusted the ISO to 1600 and took some shots while holding my squirming baby, and the pictures were not as noisy as I thought they would be.

This is a great camera for the price. I would definitely recommend it for anyone, especially those who are ready to do some manual adjustments to get better pictures, but not ready to spend a lot of money. I am glad I bought this camera, and I am happy because I think I will actually use it more than I originally thought!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well, can zoom up to x16!, September 3, 2013
The camera takes excellent pictures and videos, the price... you can't go wrong. I just wish it came with a cable as well to transfer pictures to my PC, instead of having to remove the SD card. This does not come with a memory card, i bought a "Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E)" together with this and it works well. The camera is very lightweight, and does not look nor feel as though it can withstand any small fall for shock impact, so be careful with it.

Ok an edit to my review: I just tried taking pictures of the moon and venus phenomena (08-09-13) and i realized that this camera zoomed up to 16times! Not just up to x5! After x5 it kept going, x8...x10....x16! I got an awesome pic at x16 of the moon and the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars TERRIFIC VALUE, June 5, 2013
IT IS EASY TO USE AND THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURES IS AMAZING. I DON'T THINK THERE IS A BETTER CAMERA IN THE PRICE RANGE OF THIS ONE. JUST SPENT 12 DAYS IN ITALY AND TOOK OVER 1000 PHOTOS THAT ARE LIKE POST CARDS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powershot A2500, November 4, 2013
Ok first off I just want to say that this is a great camera for the money and I really would like to give it five stars, but there are a couple things that keep me from doing that. I've had this camera for about three weeks and we have used it a lot since we got it. It looks nice and seems to be solid yet light and compact. Here are the pros and cons I found.

pros:

-light and compact
-takes great pictures
-good looking
-lots of options for a camera of its size

cons:

-display screen makes pictures look crappy till their put on computer
-very sensitive to movement
-focus is sensitive
-can't take very distant photos in low lighting

Now when I say it is sensitive to movement it directly relates to the focus. It is not very forgiving for those who don't have steady hands or something to prop against, but it can sure take a hell of a photo if you are still. Overall I think it is a good camera for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars my first digital, April 25, 2013
This is my first digital camera and it's so easy even I can take great pictures. I especially like that I can take stills and videos with the same camera. I highly recommend this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied customer, May 24, 2013
Bought this little camera at Wal-Mart for 99.00. Very pleased as a amateur photographer just wanting the occasional picture to put on my computer. Thanks to Canon. They make good products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannon Pocket Camera, July 9, 2013
Barney E. Smith (Winchester, ID USA) - See all my reviews
The best pocket camera on the market for the price! There are 3 different cameras by Cannon in this category, go with the A2500 for added overall quality for just a small increase in price! I had been looking at point & shoot cameras, reading all the specs. along with remarks by other customers for about 3 months. I got this for my wife for her birthday and she is very picky after going through 3 previous cameras unsuccessfully, she has been very happy with this one(finally)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera falls short, but Amazon's customer service is outstanding, August 19, 2013
I bought this camera for my son for his 12th birthday because of the price and the fact that I have an older model Canon Powershot that I love. I was disappointed when I received the camera. It is very lightweight, to the point of feeling very cheap. My son really liked it though, very easy to use. The wrist strap that comes with the camera is not adjustable so it does not tighten on your wrist. We were in a cave in Colorado three days after he received it and he was taking a picture and the camera slipped out of his hand and since the wrist strap was not tightened on his wrist, it fell to the rock floor and broke. I called Canon to see about getting it repaired. It was a minimum $89 plus shipping to and from. The camera cost me $85 including shipping thru Amazon. Obviously this was no one's fault but my son's (although obviously he did not intend to drop it) but I don't know why a reputable company like Canon would cut such a cheap corner on their wrist strap and not make it adjustable. I called Amazon to see if by any chance they would let me purchase a new one a a reduced cost, not expecting them to let me, and understandably so. The Amazon rep sent me a brand new camera with free shipping and even sent a pre-paid UPS label to return the broken camera. I have always been so impressed with Amazon's customer service. The camera is alright, takes good pictures, but definitely buy a better wrist strap for it. But so grateful to Amazon for replacing this for us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powershot A2500, July 1, 2013
i bought the powershot for a class reunion weekend and it excelled! it gave me several hundred of the nicest photos i've ever taken and i cant wait to take it out and take some more photos! a couple videos too that also was very easy to do. what i really like about the powershot is you can SEE the photos right as you take it, so say one was blurry due to new user error. it shows you the photo and you can say right away " nope try again" that was VERY handy along with showing people thier photos in case they wanted a try #2. same with erasing very easy.
before i bought this i knew nothing about Digital cameras, the last one i had was a film camera ten years ago. so this was my first digital camera purchase, and what a brilliant purchase it was, the amazon reviews and basic instructions were enough to know what i need and how use it, you must have a photo memory card ( not sent with the camera so when it says do you want the package YES you do!) and you must charge the battery beforehand and check it, if you are away from home make sure you take the battery charger and if you've used it alot check the battery i forgot to do that and the third night i couldnt take photos. it warned me.. i just thought.. nah.. it will be okay. ( nope but once it charged it was fine) but not only was it easy for me to take clear wonderful photos of my reunion weekend, it was easy for my friends taking photos with it too to just use it as well. the automatic sensing flash was nice too. the digital uploads of the photos ( with separate purchase of the cable) also could not have been easier. i also liked the little bag that came with the package. it had a nice belt clip. also if i didnt have a belt loop it was very easy to tuck in my pocket and not have to schlump a large camera and case along. it was dropped by accident on a hardwood floor and kept on going with no problems. everybody went oh no! and i was like nope! its good! say cheese!
the price couldnt have been nicer also.. very pleased with my new Canon Powershot!

Rate and Discover Movies