Published on June 10, 2009 by ZenWoman

2.0 out of 5 stars Water leaked in
I was disappointed in the fact that the camera does not have a setting for action shots. Used it for first time in Hawaii as I stood in the surf and took photos of son standing on boogie board. Generally the photos for other circumstances are good.

Published on July 22, 2009 by Roy Messer

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a "full service" waterproof camera for all those fun-filled vacations, let the kids go crazy!, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-Inch LCD (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
So many of our family's vacations are at beaches, lakes, water-parks, or hikes and bringing along the sensitive digital camera has always been a problem. If I carried it then I could not get in water and I spent more time worrying whether the sand would damage it than taking pics of my family. I lost a camera on a Disney Park fun ride when water suddenly splashed into the ride and we were miserable for losing all our pics. With this camera you can drop it in water and not worry about your pics unless you lose the camera (happened to me another time when I fell overboard and dropped a camera in the open sea). I have other cameras that I have been too lazy to review but I am excited about this one so I sat down to write this review.

This is like a regular Canon Camera with all the features and the added waterproof feature. It can be compared to the new SD780 IS which sells for fifty bucks less. The features are similar, except that this one is waterproof and bulkier and does not have a viewfinder (not that you can see much through a fogged up viewfinder in humid conditions).

Some great features:
- Good looking waterproof camera, "cuteness" is very important, I disliked those clear cases that you have to screw on your camera and as one reviewer reported they can still get fogged up
- Rainproof/Waterproof up to 33 ft, good for most pools or waterparks
- Freeze proof lens up to 14 deg F
- SMART Auto mode that detects the right scene mode for each shot (works great)
- Digic 4 processor, auto shots are nicer than some older Canon cameras, optical image stabilization and motion detection to prevent blurring of images
- 2.5 inch extra bright LCD that's covered by a protective surface to prevent scratches and looks good in bright sun
- 3X optical and 12X digital zoom
- Face detection
- "Blink" detection - the camera gives a blink warning if someone's eyes are closed in the picture
- Contrast correction - Can be set while taking picture or even afterward to correct darker areas
- Continuous shooting lets you capture the perfect water shot
- Scene modes - The auto mode does a good job of sensing the conditions but if you want to set a mode you get the choice of - Night exposure, Panorama (stitch together shots in one), programmable mode, portrait, sunset, beach, fireworks, aquarium, underwater, snow, indoor, kids and pets, foliage, long shutter, color accent (keep only one color in a pic, so the water and jeans will be blue while the people black and white) and color swap (change one color to another, swap the color of your boat from beige to red).

Negatives:
- Slightly bulkier than your typical Canon SD, it's built for water, beach and rugged use, and it's rounder shape with no hard edges can take a fall or two
- No threads for filters
- No RAW mode
- No lens cap but the glass shield is scratchproof

The back panel is pretty intuitive and you probably won't need the manual to figure it out. The buttons have been designed for waterproof operations and the zoom in and out is done through buttons on the back of the camera rather than with the shutter button lever like with other Canon cameras. The photo and video mode is toggled through a round button next to the shutter button.

The best thing about this camera? You can give it to your 6 year old to take underwater pics and not worry about it, how many other "real" cameras can you do that with?! Now I can float down that lazy river at the water park with my family and take some nice shots rather than running along the edge trying to capture the perfect moment. And the best thing is that this camera works just as well on land. It's the perfect no-nonsense take along everywhere (really every where!) vacation camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great waterproof camera, May 26, 2009
I've been playing with my new Powershot D10 for about a week and really like it. I have been using Canon SLRs for 25+ years, AE1 Program, A1, Elan 7e, and Digital Rebel. When I started looking for a waterproof camera to take snorkeling, my first choice was Canon, based on my many years of satisfaction with their products, and I was very lucky that this camera was released two weeks before leaving for vacation. (Amazon had been showing the camera as available for pre-order until earlier today. I purchased mine from a local camera store.)

I'm very impressed with the picture quality on this camera. The 12 megapixel sensor, coupled with a dozen shooting modes, produce an excellent image. I'm used to controlling aperture and shutter speed on the SLR, so simply selecting "portrait" or "night exposure" mode and letting the camera do all the work just seems too easy. Or, if selecting "portrait" is too difficult, you can select "auto" and just let the camera do it all. Movie quality is also quite good. The LCD screen on the back of the camera seems huge compared to the 1" screen on my old Digital Rebel. It's a great display.

The controls are conveniently arranged, and easy to use, and the associated icons displayed are both informative and intuitive. You can choose to display all the settings or turn them off and just see the image. One of the useful display options is a grid overlay on the screen to assist with shot composition and the "Rule of Thirds." The optical zoom works great. By the time you get to 12x with the digital zoom, the image is kind of grainy, but that's to be expected.

You can take macro photographs an inch or two from your subject. I've had trouble focusing my Digital Rebel in the dark, but Canon seems to have improved low-light focusing quite a bit. It has a manual focus feature that indicates the distance to the subject as you adjust the focus, just in case it can't get the focus right.

I like the Panorama feature, which displays the previous shot on the viewfinder while you're composing the next shot, allowing the photographer to closely match subsequent shots, resulting in panoramic photos with less distortion when they're stitched together. Panorama mode also locks in the exposure value of the first shot so that the exposure in subsequent shots all match the first shot.

The face recognition and blink detection both seem to work well. As the camera focuses, it will zoom in on one of the faces so the photographer can verify correct focus. After the shot is taken, if someone blinked it will identify the face of the person blinking so you can take another shot. These can be turned on or off according to user preference. Images seem very crisp, which I attribute to the image stabilization features, which can also be turned on or off.

I've had the camera in the sink, and it handles six inches of water with no problems. I'll see how it does with thirty two and a half more feet of water when it meets the Atlantic Ocean in a few weeks! The wrist strap attaches to any one of the four corners of the camera (convenient for carrying in either left or right hand) and seems to be pretty secure, so no worries about losing it if you get knocked over by a wave.

I use Photoshop Elements, so I haven't loaded the Canon software and can't comment on that. And since I edit photos on the computer, I doubt that I'll use some of the in-camera editing features, such as black and white, sepia, color swap, and the various color enhancements. I could see that would be useful to those who print directly from the camera, without editing on a computer.

The camera doesn't allow you to shoot in RAW. I generally don't shoot in RAW with my SLR, so that doesn't worry me. It has a number of white balance modes, custom white balance, and auto white balance. It seems to do a good job selecting the correct shooting conditions in auto mode. Colors appear correct.

A couple of drawbacks: The camera isn't threaded so you're not able to attach filters. There's also no lens cap, and I worry about the lens surface getting damaged. For a rugged "adventure" camera, I'm also surprised that there's no GPS chip so that photos can be tagged with the exact location. I look at old slides taken while I was hiking and think "that's neat, why can't I remember where I took that." It would be nice if the EXIF data included lattitude and longitude. (Watch Canon come out with the Powershot D10 "Gold" six months from now that incorporates these features. The curse of being an early adopter.)

The microphone picks up every movement your fingers make as you hold the camera, so it's difficult to capture movies without some camera noise. The speaker on the bottom of the camera is also difficult to hear when playing movies back on the camera, but movies sounds fine when I pop the memory chip into the computer and watch in Quicktime. Movies are produced in the .mov format, so you'll have to do some conversion if you want to do anything with it in Windows Movie Maker. You can also choose between higher quality 640 x 480, or lower quality 320 x 240. (I should post a video review, but look like a dork in movies, so I'll spare everybody that.)

Tried to take a few infrared photos, but the image has the Hot Spot typical of many Canon cameras and lenses. I held a Hoya R72 filter over the lens and took several shots. Bright sunlight is about a 4" exposure, and all shots have a bluish circle in the center.

The drawbacks are very minor compared to the great images this camera produces.

I'm very impressed with this camera. It feels very sturdy, takes great photos, and seems very easy to use. Although I'll probably continue to use my Digital Rebel as my primary camera, I certainly look forward to many years of fun with this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera with a couple of inconveniences, July 13, 2009
I. Gulko (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great, quick camera that focuses fast and takes good pictures. The interface is well thought out; For example, half-pressing the shutter button always takes you straight into camera mode.

It's perfect for wet environments, like swimming, rafting, etc. Most of this has already been covered in other reviews, so I'll just post my biggest complaints, followed by a few tips for new owners.

Complaints:

1) The camera is very thick, much thicker than I thought based on the pictures. It is almost as thick as a credit card is tall! Forget fitting it into a pocket comfortably. Basically, this camera is as thick as a regular 3X zoom PowerShot with its lens fully extended.

2) Expensive, overpriced accessories. I like the strap being attachable at any of the four corners, and this has actually come in useful. I think a neck strap would be even more useful, but Canon expects me to pay $100-130 for a dingy kit (AKT-DC1) of a few straps and colored shell replacements!? No thanks!

3) This is standard for Canon cameras, but it's still a major annoyance. The camera cannot be used as a USB drive when attached to a computer. I don't even understand what purpose the USB port is even supposed to serve. In short: if you forgot to bring your card reader, you're SOL.

Tips:

1) Clock: You can check the current time by holding down the Func/Set button in either review or camera modes. Tilt the camera vertically to see the date too.

2) Review pictures faster by turning off the fading transition between pictures. This is all the way at the bottom of the first menu in review mode.

3) Put the mostly useless Print button to work: The "Set Print button" setting under the first menu in camera mode (all the way at the bottom.) If you set it to "Rec. movie", you can start recording a video with just one button press instead of having to switch modes back and forth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Water leaked in, July 22, 2009
Roy Messer (Waikoloa, HI United States) - See all my reviews

Really disappointed when I used the camera in just two feet of water, just to take a photo of my son ducking his head under the water. The next day the camera was kaput, with the viewing screen obviously damaged by water. The areas inside the battery compartment and USB port appeared to be dry, so the water apparently came in elsewhere. Leaving these camera doors open dried out the screen, and the camera would turn on but work no further than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, August 11, 2009
Karyn (The Woodlands, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Just returned from Hawaii and the Canon D10 withstood two weeks of underwater (ocean and fresh water) and outdoor (rain and waterfall) excursions. I had my doubts but the camera worked like a champ. On the last day (after loading all of the photos onto my computer) I decided to tempt fate and took the camera down to around 25-30ft deep and tried a couple of shots just to see how it held-up at close to the advertised depth. To further tempt fate, I tried to make a point of manipulating all of the controls while I was down there. The shots came out great and the camera survived unscathed. I do have two suggestions though. Periodically wipe-off the protective lens cover because the camera can have a tendancy to autofocus on the tiny particles of ocean detritus that stick to the lens cover (and take multiple shots because you often can't tell that a shot is out of focus by quickly glancing at the view screen while you're under water). My other suggestion is to buy a high-vis floating strap (like the Olympus). While the camera floats by itself, if you decide to stuff it into your pocket while you're swimming around it can slip-out. While doing my family head-count out past the reef, I noticed an orange object floating in the water about 80ft away. Without the high vis strap, I would have almost certainly lost the camera. All-in-all, I was pleased with the D10's underwater performance and durability, and it also takes excellent scenery shots (I've posted a couple of examples). In all other ways, it's basically a standard Canon compact camera (but with better than average low-light performance).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great underwater AND general purpose camera, June 16, 2009
I bought this camera for a trip to St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. I originally acquired it to take underwater pictures, since I own a nikon D40 with a 18-200 mm lens for "landscape" type of pictures, but I got very surprised with its quality as a "general purpose" camera. It takes very balanced pictures and the settings are very flexible. Whenever I went to the beach, I preferred to take the D10 instead of the bulky SLR, and it worked flawless.

But it is underwater where the camera shined. I took hundreds of pictures of corals and fishes, and the quality of most of them was excellent (considering this is camera fits in your hand and it is very lightweight). I also recorded many underwater videos, which is done very nicely by the camera as well. The incorporated microphone is rather low quality, but it kind of make sense to me to avoid water intrusion I guess. I used the camera for at least 8 hours total under seawater during my 4-day trip and I did not have problems at all. I soaked it in tap water everytime I used it in the sea as stated in the manual. This camera really changed my trip. My girlfriend is actually thinking about getting another for herself since we had to share it when snorkeling.

The camera is fast. Whenever I saw a nice fish around me, I turned it on and took a picture in a matter of 2-3 seconds. Most images were not blurry, which kind of surprised me. With the appropiate light (as it happens with every kind of camera), underwater pictuers can get very very nice. The LCD is very clear underwater, and it gives you a fair idea about the picturejust taken. Flash did not work well underwater since there was a lot of reflection, so it is better to disable it and use it with proper light. I'll be uploading pictures soon.

I'd recommend this camera to anyone needing an all-weather camera for amateur purposes. Although i've had it for three weeks, it seems very reliable. It is made in Japan, which i guess gives it an extra bonus IMO.

1.0 out of 5 stars leaked, no warranty, March 23, 2010
The camera leaked the fourth time I took it in the water. I brought it back to the store as it was only a few month old. Canon refused to replace the camera saying the battery compartment must have been open or I must have taken it beyond 10m water depth. The battery compartment was closed and it was a swimmingpool! I am very disappointed as I have almost no pictures from my very first trip to Australia. I definitly don't recommend this camera!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to Great - One suggested item, July 1, 2009
I am very happy with the picture quality, construction, and the portability of the Canon PowerShot D10. I have always wanted a camera to take pictures while in and around water. My only suggestion is to add a view finder. It is difficult to frame a picture in the LCD viewfinder. The video function also worked well.

Extreme care should be used when inspecting the seals around the compartment doors. If you forget to shut a compartment door; or sand, dirt, debris is around the seal -- the camera will leak. This is not a design flaw, but an issue that needs attention every time one uses the camera in water.

I would not be surprised if the seals would periodically need replacement.

1.0 out of 5 stars Camera lasted almost 4 days, then leaked., November 8, 2009
Hedy (Currently in Maui) - See all my reviews
I purchased my Canon D10 while on vacation in Maui. I am a diehard Canon fan, and was initially thrilled with this camera. I used it underwater while snorkeling, on the beach shooting waves, on dry land, and then that was it. It stopped working the third time I took it in the water. Each time I took the camera out of the water, I followed the instructions carefully, soaking it in fresh water, and then making sure that it was completely dry before opening the battery/memory card compartment and the USB compartment. After the camera stopped working, the two compartments were dry, which leads me to believe that water leaked in elsewhere. I can see water on the inside lens, and fogging on the LCD screen. I am very disappointed as I would have liked to use this camera during the last few days of my vacation. Thank goodness I have another camera with me, although I won't be able to take any more photos in the water! I rated this item with one star as it should have lasted much longer than 4 days. I'll update this after I see how Canon responds and how the camera works after it has been replaced/repaired. By the way, amazon.com was great - I received the camera when promised. Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD

Update: I live in Canada, but purchased the camera in the USA. The packaging stated that the warranty was good only in the country of purchase. When I contacted Canon Canada by email to ask if they would repair my camera under warranty, they gave me a wishy washy answer. I decided not to take my chances and returned my camera for a full refund just before I left Maui. Canon lost my business. Kudos to amazon.com for their smooth return process!

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked after first use..., November 27, 2009
Probably I was unlucky to get a bad unit but my D10 leaked the first time I took it underwater. I went no more than 4-5 feet under to get my first underwater shot and noticed that LCD screen was blank, so I took it out of the water right away and it was full of water! All compartments were closed properly (as far as I could tell). Must be a bad seal somewhere.