4.0 out of 5 stars Tough and Fun Little Camera
Published 9 months ago by TJ Winston

Published 7 months ago by R. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough and Fun Little Camera, April 26, 2014
This review is from: Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera, Blue (Electronics)
Received my Canon D30 on 04/25/2014. These will be my impressions after about 3 months of weekend use. I have taken the camera underwater on many occasions, and had the camera underwater for several hours in saltwater while snorkeling and on various trips to the beach. No issues. The seals seem to perform very well. Just remember to rinse the camera off in fresh water after being in salt water. If you forget to do so, the buttons will have a "Crusty" feel at your next use.

I started a Flickr Group for photos taken with this camera- Go to Flickr --> Groups --> Search Groups --> Canon PowerShot D30. (Amazon will not allow me to post the link??) I posted some photos of the camera itself, as well as a demonstration of the "Sunlight LCD Mode" Scroll all the way to the bottom of the group to see these.

Impression is 4-Star.

It is impossible to compare this camera to a DSLR/SLT, so I will evaluate it on what it is- a point and shoot that you can take into the water, and can take a little punishment.

The build quality is very good, and the camera feels solid in my hand. The body is made of a nice composite material, and the rubber grips seem tacky enough to hold on to in cold/wet conditions.

The buttons are well positioned, and the menus are intuitive.

The power up is lightning fast. It takes about one second from pushing the power button until you can take a shot.

"Turnaround" time between shots is rather slow, in my opinion, however, I improved this slightly by turning OFF the preview function.

High ISO performance is typical of a point and shoot with a lot of noise.

Shooting underwater is a ton of fun. The shots are fun to look at, but it is more luck than skill as to whether you will get a keeper shot or not, particularly with kids swimming, etc. It is difficult to frame a shot underwater without the use of a snorkel mask or goggles. Make sure to switch the camera over to the underwater modes, or else the camera may struggle to find an apropriate shooting mode.

I've taken several underwater videos with good results. There is an intermittent "clicking" noise as the focus adjusts. The mic is OK. On the plus side, the buffering at the end of a 3.5 minute video only takes about 2 seconds.

Battery life is good. I have taken 250 still shots, about 5 minutes of video, kept the camera on for quite a while between shots, reviewed a lot of photos, and the indicator finally dropped to 2/3 charge. I typically keep the GPS off, but I have noticed that the battery drains significantly faster with the GPS enabled.

The reason I waited for, and paid more for this camera than the competition or the D20 was the "Sunlight LCD Mode" We live in Florida, and I do a lot of shooting at the beach/pool, and in heavy sun. I have never had an LCD screen that can be clearly seen in the sun. The Sunlight LCD Mode must be activated in the settings menu- It is not turned on from the factory. Once activated, it remains on the next time you power the camera up. In my opinion, this camera performs 25% better than most LCD's in the sunlight. Not perfect, not ideal, but noticeably better than anything I have experienced to date. I found the LCD to be readable and viewable in strong sun, with sunglasses on, so I will say that it is a true "Pro" of this camera.

Overall, this is a fun camera to take to the beach, pool, or snorkeling. The image quality will never compete with a DSLR or even most "Point and shoots" due to the lens cover. The features are more akin to what you would find on a smart phone app than a "real" camera, but good luck taking any of those things into the water with you!!!

Take Care...TJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Identical to D20 but with greatly improved case and depth rating?, May 1, 2014
7 "7" (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
I own the predecessor to the Canon D30; the D20. I love it! Good image quality (IQ) for a waterproof camera (Sorry, IQ really is relative as non-waterproof point-and-shoot (PNS) cameras at this price point have far better IQ). My D20 handles continuous bouncing in my front pocket while trail running with no problems yet after about 6 months of solid use. 50 to 100+ miles of bouncing in my front pocket or backpack so far. I love the Color Swap effect mode as well. I have not submerged it yet but it has been rained on many times without incident.

So this brings me to the D30. I cannot find anything different with it other than the case (and modest button layout change) and depth rating from the D20. They both have in common:

12.1MP 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
Shutter Range 15sec-1/1600sec
1.9fps maximum frame advance
NB-6L battery
And on and on...

I honestly believe that the D30 is the same camera as the D20 in a different case. And I have to admit, I can't stand the D20's case as it's got a very awkward shape and it is very slippery. I literally smeared Shoe Goo all over the front and sides of it for grip. My girlfriend HATES the way it looks now but has to admit it solved the slip problem. The D30 addresses the slipperiness of the D20 with an actual finger grip on the front. Plus the D30 has a totally different depth rating of 82 feet, which is 49 feet deeper than the D20's 33 feet. This is something that really interests me as I had a Lumix TS3 fatally leak at literally under 8 INCHES submersion shooting video in a koi pond while being rated for 40 feet. Depth ratings are lies and all I need is a genuine, no-excuses-never-ever-fail-for-any-reason depth rating of 10 feet. I figure an 82 foot rating should genuinely provide 10+ feet.

So aside from drastically improved depth rating and case design, can anyone verify any differences between the D20 and D30? Thanks! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A DIVER'S DREAM, June 12, 2014
Ramon GT (El Salvador (Earthquake Valley)) - See all my reviews
I took this little baby for some rides down to the coral reef and it exceeded my expectations: AWESOME.

PROS:
1.- 82 feet deep (...and maybe more) without bulky cases? Cool!
2.- Made for diving: Compact, good grip, easy one-hand operation even with gloves, dedicated video button, etc. A diver's dream.
3.- The subaquatic mode (software filter) really WORKS! Kudos Canon, colours pop out as if the camera had a strobe attached; most of my underwater pictures were GREAT without any tweaks, just point that turtle and shoot.
4.- Long battery life. I charged mine after six dives just to make sure, but it may have lasted longer.
5.- Great underwater video too: full HD with autofocus.

CONS:
1.- Bigger than my previous cameras.
I had a thin and small Sony TX30 but it died at 90 ft (OK, it was rated for 33 ft, my fault). Anyway all my buddies have cameras WITH cases, they all look like huge daguerrotypes when compared to this Canon D30 :p so I can't complaint.
I've also used a GoPro, it was smaller too, but it had no LCD screen, battery lasted 1 or 2 dives only, and photos were not good at all. Anyway this camera makes better video IMO than the GoPro, down there in the deep.

I guess all the 1 or 2 star reviews are from non-divers expecting DSLR quality in dry land. If you dive look no further: this little wet bottom camera is for you. The best diver's camera for ~$300.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, but it leaked (and broke) after just 4 uses underwater, June 20, 2014
R. Taylor (Durham, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This camera took great pictures and video. It was fast and had a nice large viewer that worked well in daylight and underwater. We really liked this camera. But, after a couple of days of relatively light use in pools and the ocean, it leaked and broke. Water got in through the USB/HDMI hatch and was visible behind the lens. The camera was never deeper than 5 feet in the water and the USB/HDMI hatch wasn't ajar and it wasn't opened underwater. After the camera dried out, it just displayed an error when you try to power it up "Lens error..."

Canon offered to repair it (but not replace it). However, as always, Amazon was great about it and refunded our money since we were within the return window.

I'm hopeful, we just had a lemon since I liked everything else about the D30 and would consider buying it again. But, I'm going to keep an eye on these comments for the next couple of months to see if others have similar issues before hitting the "Add to Cart" button.

5.0 out of 5 stars GPS, shockproof, and 6yr old proof!, August 2, 2014
I took this camera along with a video camera and canon sx700 still camera to hawaii. Though the other cameras had better zoom, the D30 quickly became my primary camera. My family and I have made several trips there. In years past I took very small powershot camera's with water housings that were big and bulky. One morning I slipped and cracked the water housing for my camera. A year later I dropped the camera and it ceased working. The damage from the drop was so severe It wasn't worth servicing. So when I saw that this one was waterproof to 80ft, shockproof from 6 feet and integrated GPS into the photo's, it was a done deal. Excellent build quality. I did drop it (I almost freaked), it was only 2 feet, but it still kept on humming along. When I got the pictures onto my iPhone (via computer) the locations showed up on the map. It was awesome! Tons of snorkeling, scuba diving (32feet), and rain. Not one problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first point and shoot that meets the needs of scuba divers, and an excellent PaS for anyone, December 5, 2014
I purchased this camera for diving to replace an Olympus TG1 (35ft depth rating) for which I have a waterproof case; I wanted something without the case as I find the Olympus impossible to use within the case. The Canon not only has a depth rating adequate for all my dives (to date) but also has an interface which is much much better than the Olympus. It is incredibly easy to use both above and under water, a true point and shoot.

I've completed six dives with the camera now, the deepest to 85ft (so slightly over the depth rating) and have had no problems. I had to swap out the battery on the boat between two dives because I wanted to see how long it would last. The swap was easy to accomplish without danger of water entering the battery compartment because the compartment has a simple positive latch. The battery life was also excellent - one charge from purchase date through three dives until the battery indicator started flashing on the fourth. The battery lasted through that dive, so that's between 3 and 4 hours continuous use (the LCD was on pretty much the whole of each dive) or longer over a couple of weeks after the initial charge.

The underwater mode works reasonably well and corrects dive pictures accurately to human vision. I feel that the mode should actually correct more, so that the pictures have the colours that they *would* have at the surface - so they look less blue than human vision makes the scene at depth - but this is actually outside the scope, and science, of colour correction and is more an artistic choice. It's certainly valid and scientifically correct to do what Canon do and further, artistic, correction can be done with image processing software.

By chance another diver at this resort also has a D30 and his pictures, like mine, are really great illustrations of how a good, modern, point and shoot can allow divers to take great shots of dives without complex equipment and lights. One particular advantage of the Canon is the ease of intermingling movies and pictures - it just works; press the relevant button and you have what you want.

Now a couple of disadvantages:

1) No bluetooth connectivity to transfer photos to other devices (so there's no photo attached to this review because I left my iPad to USB to MicroUSB card reader donglemess in the hotel room.)
2) No Micro USB in-camera charging, indeed, no in-camera charge at all. So I had to charge the other guy's battery last night because he left his charger at home.

The Olympus TG1 came close, but this really is the first camera I've owned in 45+ years of amateur photography that makes me feel that it is easy to take a photograph.

5.0 out of 5 stars The photos are excellent and I find the underwater color filter setting pretty ..., November 23, 2014
I have found myself using my D-30 almost exclusively on our last few dive trips. The photos are excellent and I find the underwater color filter setting pretty accurate at depth. If you white balance at depth the colors are spot on. I have a Canon S95 I use in an $800 aluminum underwater housing with strobes and wide angle lens for scuba diving. I also had canons first model the D10. I forgot it in my BC pocket and took it to 50 ft and toasted it. I also have the D20 which can go to about 40 ft. It was ok but only for shallow dives. The D30's ability to go to 80+ feet without an external case is a game changer. It is very compact and i find myself using it instead of my more bulky, heavy and expensive S95 setup. The video is excellent as well. i am going to recommend this camera to my dive club for anyone wanting to get into underwater photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars The battery lasts a pretty long time and the pictures and videos came out ..., November 3, 2014
Works exactly as described!! We took this camera diving with us in the Caribbean over the summer and accidentally took it down to 102 feet!! No issues whatsoever. The battery lasts a pretty long time and the pictures and videos came out great - excellent color correction!! Worked very well for snorkeling too. A good value for what it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaked right away, July 15, 2014
Mine started taking on water my 2nd time out in less than 10 feet of water. I'm trying to dry it out now since the lens might be ok but the back is still covered in water under the plastic. Since it doesn't have a manual viewfinder, this means that even if it still takes pictures I might not be able to use the viewfinder again. I won't be taking it in the water again, but I am hoping to at least get through my vacation with it working on land. Can't send it back in for repairs or exchange until I return, but will post updates. Really disappointed as this was brand new and meant to replace another small Canon that got dust under the sensor and left spots on all the photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture quality!, April 29, 2014
Zoe (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I have only had this camera a couple of hours, but already I am in love. I have taken photo's in the house and in the pool underwater and I am so thrilled with the clarity and colour of the photo's. It's totally intuitive to use, nice and light and feels good in your hands. I don't usually leave reviews but well I am so happy with it, as it just came out I thought I would post one. Thank you to the other reviewer for mentioning the bright LCD screen, I too live in Florida so this is a must. I bought it for an upcoming snorkeling holiday and know its going to be perfect for our families needs. If you are looking for something fun, waterproof, that takes awesome photo's, this is your camera!

Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera, Blue