1,221 Reviews

Published 12 months ago by Yarii

3.0 out of 5 stars This camera is inexpensive for a reason
Published on May 29, 2012 by Jessica

4.0 out of 5 stars A2300 - a good choice for a BASIC point & shoot that anyone can use, July 10, 2013
I received this camera last week (purchased for a 12 year old niece's birthday). This camera, even though it's listed as red, is actually bright pink, but it's still subtle, it doesn't SCREAM bright pink. One thing that surprised me is that it's made of metal, not plastic like others in the under $100 price range. However, it is made in China, but I own other cameras that are in the $400+ range that were also made in China, so price isn't the determining factor on the manufacturing location.

The Canon A2500 is a newer version of this camera, but if you do a comparison between the new A2500 and this one, the A2300, the specs are nearly identical in features. The only difference I could find was a very slight difference in overall size and a small difference in photos per battery charge even though they use the same battery.

I decided, before gifting it to her, that I would make sure it was operational. (ETA: I gave this Canon to my niece, she loves it; as for myself, I wouldn't be thrilled with it as I want a camera with more manually-selected features.)

This is a BASIC point and shoot camera, almost as basic as you will find nowadays. Which makes this a good choice for a person that's new to digital, young, old, anyone really.

It's a small camera, easily fits in a pocket. The buttons are laid-out well so you don't hit a wrong button when you meant to push another. In this regard, much better than a couple of the Canon Elph models I tried previously. Build quality itself seems very good, but I do notice some noise in the zoom motor when playing back videos.

Leave it on SmartAuto. Your photos will be good 99% of the time. But if you think you will get DSLR-quality images with this camera? Heck, no! You can't expect that with a camera this price. This camera is not that great in low light if you don't use the flash; when there's not enough light your photos will be grainy. It takes *very good* photos outdoors on a sunny day---but almost any camera will give you the same. I'd even go so far to say that some Smartphones will take better photos than this camera.

No matter where you're shooting make sure you can hold steady while shooting-sure, this has digital image stabilization, but it's not as good as optical stabilization. And as far as I can tell, the Digital IS is only active when you choose the "Digital IS" setting by choosing Program-FuncSet-and right clicking the control wheel to Digital IS. This is disappointing that it's not available on all settings.

The menus are typical Canon, and there is no dial like the more expensive cameras have.

No optical viewfinder for those of you wanting to know. The LCD screen is average quality, not enough "dots", so when you take a photo and look at it on the camera's screen, it doesn't look nearly as good as when you upload it to your computer. I think I'm spoiled by my Sony cameras that have 921,000 dots, compared to this Canon that has only 230,000 dots.

It's a little slow between shots, there is "processing" lag, especially when using the flash.

Videos are "ok" with this camera, 720p is fine for those with an older computer. If you want a camera that has GREAT video I would suggest one of the Sony HX models like the HX10V which I own Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX10V 18.2 MP Exmor R CMOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom and 3.0-inch LCD (Black) (2012 Model), but you will pay a lot more for that camera - IMHO Sony cameras are hands-down the best at video. Back to this Canon: Yes, this Canon has audio with the video, but it's not stereo. You cannot optically zoom during the video, but you can do so before you first press the video button. If you DO use the zoom button after pushing the video button, it will be CRUMMY-looking digital zoom and you will hear noticeable zoom motor noise/clicking, at least on this camera I did.

I wish it had FEWER megapixels than 16 MP. The sensor, being a 1/2.3 like most cheaper cameras, is too small. More megapixels are NOT better unless the sensor size is also larger to go along with it. This is part of the reason these cameras are crummy in low-light situations. Of course, you will pay a LOT more for a camera with a larger sensor, at least $300+. So this Canon will "do" - there's always some kind of sacrifice one makes when choosing a camera.

One thing I really like about this is the use of a lithium ion battery as opposed to AA batteries, and it has a separate battery charger. It also comes with Canon photo editing software, which I've used for years and I think is better than Picasa, although there are less editing features to choose.

No internal memory at all, so make sure you buy an SDHC card if you don't already have one-otherwise you will be very disappointed when you go to use this camera the first time. I recommend a Class 10 card, especially if you plan on shooting videos. Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS8GSDHC10E)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for quick snaps, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A2300 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black) (Electronics)
We've had this camera now for a few weeks and have come to really like it. It is so thin and lightweight that it can easily be carried in a pocket, purse, or backpack. Compared to the size of today's smartphones, this is actually smaller than some.

The pictures are decent. I find some of the interior pictures are a bit grainy, even with the flash. The flash is plenty bright - so no issues there. Switching to low light mode made all the difference. This quick change off the menu function made for clear crisp pictures.

Outdoor pictures are really outstanding. Super clear and crisp. Sometimes it has problems figuring out what to focus on. However, when a face appears, it is really pretty good at identifying it and focusing on it.

One of my favorite features is the rechargable lithium ion battery. I hate having to deal with batteries. However, it is a bit of an annoyance to get it charged as it requires the battery to be ejected from the camera and placed into a charger.

The final reason why this inexpensive camera does not get a five star rating is the long time it takes between pictures. Even on a fully charged battery, it takes on average 5 seconds for the camera to process each shot. If you are trying to take a bunch of group photos, this can seem like forever.

Overall - I like this camera. It is relatively inexpensive and takes great snapshots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Compact Point And Shoot, May 25, 2012
The Canon A2300 is a great point and shoot camera for casual users. It's easy to use, and takes very clear pictures with wonderful color rendition. It has reasonable resolution (clarity) in zoom mode, and performs well for action shots at sporting events. The auto mode settings are fine for most photos. Low light zoom shots (such as stage shows in dark auditoriums)may not be completely acceptable, but that's a tough condition for any camera and should NOT be considered a serious flaw. The movie mode works well, with good clarity and color. Bottom line: for everyday shapshots (condidering the performance, features, and price) you'll be happy with the A2300. For more details you can download the user manual from the Canon website.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., April 10, 2012
This is a pretty neat little camera.
This is not a power house this is a small camera to carry for quick shots of your kids or even something light to travel with when you larger camera is packed up in your luggage.

It has a few simple really useful functions, a modest zoom (though 5x out does some of the other cameras like this)the lens seems to be doing it's job. 16 mega pixels makes for a pretty clear photo.

There is small shutter lag but a good sd card seems to help that and it's on par with other digital cameras of this kind.

I really like this little camera and I look forward to using it.
So far...
Cute
Light
Compact
easy to use
decent photos
A+ for this sort of camera.

I will update at a later date after I use it a bit, maybe even post a sample photo or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera - Highly Recommend, October 30, 2012
I have owned the same Olympus camera for the past 12 years. I refused to get rid of the big and bulky older model because it took such high quality pictures. I didn't think any camera out there could top it but I was wrong. This little camera packs a lot of bang for the buck. My old camera didn't zoom in very closely but I can get great close ups with my new PowerShot. I was looking for a less bulky smaller camera and I have to admit that when I pulled it out of the box my first reaction was that it's definitely smaller and I hope it takes good pics. This camera is slightly larger than a deck of cards. I took it to a festival and hoped and prayed that the pictures would take. I downloaded them as soon as I got home. The quality is superb! It's even better than my old Olympus. My husband was so impressed with my tiny camera that now he wants to get rid of his 10 year old model Cannon for one. His words "I can't believe that little bitty camera took those great shots." Pics are not grainy, dim or distorted and true to colors. I carry it everywhere with me now in my purse which is something I would not do with my bulky older model. I love the color of the camera too. I ordered the red but it actually looks more pink to me which is what I was hoping for any way. You will not be disappointed with this camera. I am a point-and-shoot picture taker who doesn't want to mess with shutters, settings or anything else and this camera is absolutely perfect for me. I highly recommend it for other point-and-shooters as well. The price just can't be beat. I should also mention that it was a toss up between purchasing a Canon and a much more expensive Nikon Coolpix. I chose the Canon after reading the reviews here and I'm glad I did. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Worth mentioning: It was packaged very well and arrived quickly. I ordered it two days before the festival, next day service, hoping that I might I get it in time. I did and was able to load the memory card, charge the battery (another feature I love - rechargeable battery) and read the operator's manual before the next morning.

3.0 out of 5 stars This camera is inexpensive for a reason, May 29, 2012
I have owned several canon cameras, including SLR, DSLR, and several point-and-shoots, and this one is by far the most disappointing. Looking at the specs, I couldn't figure out why this camera was only a third of the price of other recently released Canon point-and-shoots, so I decided to try it out. I got it just in time for a trip to the Grand Canyon and Sedona, AZ... and now that I'm looking through my photos, I wish I would have just stuck with my DSLR. The colors are very dull on auto mode. We were at Red Rock National Park, and the rocks look brown in my photos, not red like they actually were... I tried the vivid color setting, hoping it would help... but that setting added TOO much color. It made a cactus look neon green and the red rocks look bright orange. And if you use the vivid color setting to take a photo of a person, they will look like tan mom. (i.e. orange)

Besides the colors being either very dull or unnaturally bright, the photos from this camera are just not very crisp. The sky is pixelated/noisy in almost every image, and the photos of us are just kind of flat and blurry looking. I wish I could blame this on a lack of knowledge about cameras, but I can't... I use a high-end DSLR in manual mode every day for my job. (NOTE: I am not comparing this camera to a high-end DSLR. I just want people to understand that the disappointing quality of photos from this camera are not due to operator's error.)

For less than a hundred bucks, it isn't terrible... but I was just hoping it would be as good as my Canon Powershot SD1200IS, which only cost fifty dollars more (3 years ago) and took amazing photos.

It is a cute camera though (although the entire body is plastic)... so if you don't want to spend more than a hundred bucks, I think it's an okay deal.

EDIT: Wow, a lot of commenters seem to be under the impression that I am comparing this camera to a high-end DSLR. I am absolutely not comparing the two. The only cameras I compared this to were previous models of Canon point and shoots that I owned and loved. This camera was cheaper than those, and I knew that when I bought it. But never having owned a bad Canon product, I expected it to take better photos than it actually does. I only purchased this camera because my beloved SD1200IS was stolen at my wedding and I needed a cheap replacement that I can carry around in my purse. I do not own the expensive DSLR that I use at work, thus I cannot just take it with me when I go on vacation.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera is amazing!, July 24, 2012
I was about to make a trip to China for five weeks and was worried about the camera I was already planning to take, a Nikon Coolpix, getting lost or stolen. So I went to the store to look at buying a back-up camera that wouldn't cost much just in case my Nikon failed me during the trip. This camera was on sale for only $99 and had a good rating on the store website, so I bought it on the spot thinking it would just be a nice replacement if needed.

However when I took it home and was playing with it, I was amazed at how much better this camera works than my Nikon. It is a lot better at adjusting to different settings automatically, and most pictures come out almost professional quality even without focusing and setting up the shot. It works really well in low light settings which I definitely can't say for the Nikon and which is something I was going to look for the next time I seriously went shopping for a new digital camera. Now that "next time" will be a long way off because I'm so satisfied with this one.

Like most cameras, this one will work best if you stop to choose the right setting and focus your picture properly, but in most environments even a quick point and shoot will deliver a good quality picture. I also love that I was able to get it in bright blue, and I've even dropped it on stone but it still works perfectly! Considering I only spent about 100 dollars on this camera, I'm extremely satisfied with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good review, June 12, 2012
Good product overall, but small and looks a bit fragile. When taking the picture it looks a bit grainy in the LCD, but one the picture is taken, it shows up clearer. Good for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and does good pix, September 12, 2012
Intuitive menus. Small. Battery keeps charge for a long time. Takes good photos. No problems after three months. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goof proof, September 12, 2012
Love the color, small size, and simplicity of operation. The BEST part is the rechargeable battery that lasts and lasts. No more carrying around extra batteries.

Rate and Discover Movies