5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me
Published on February 10, 2012 by Harry

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Canon, what have you done???
Let me start by saying I am a huge Canon fan boy. I brag about Canon like people brag about Apple or a Toyota Prius. I own two Canon DSLRs (5D and 40D) and several Canon point and shoots (including the S90 and SD800IS) and always recommend Canon to anyone buying a digital camera.

Published on October 21, 2011 by S. Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Canon, what have you done???, October 21, 2011
S. Scott (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews

I bought this camera for my wife to upgrade her SD800IS and chose it because of the large screen, big zoom, and HD video capability (all great features). After four days of shooting, I returned it. Read on ...

The good.
Photos in bright light = 5 stars (normal great Canon photos like you would expect). The photos in brighter light were all fairly good and the screen is large and looks great.

Zoom = 5 stars. The camera zooms in/out REALLY fast which is great when you're trying to take pics of action shots or something that's moving fairly quickly. Loved having the big zoom.

The not so good.
Photos in low light (automatic mode) = 1 star. If the distance of your subject is more than about three feet, the camera would switch to shooting at 1/16th (bad) of a second and closer than three feet would shoot at 1/60th of a second (good). So when photographing my kids, that move frequently, many of the shots would blur because the shutter speed at 1/16th was just too slow. When I switched to program (manual) mode and put the flash to ON instead of to AUTO the camera switched back to 1/60 and the shots are fine but for an automatic user, this is awful when shooting subjects in the three to six feet range where the flash is still significant.

Screen = 2 stars. While the screen is very large, I think it's using a resistive display which is what the original touch smart phones used (now all using capacitive). This requires much more pressure when touching the screen than say and iphone or android phone. The touch interface itself is also fairly clumsy and needs some work when navigating the menus. One nice feature is the ability to touch the screen anywhere in order focus to that point of the frame (like an iphone does which is great) but by holding that point a bit longer, it also fires the shot and takes the picture which caused quite a few accidental shots (not so great). Similarly, to take videos, you also press the video icon on the screen so if you have the camera in your lap (which we did at one point) you may end up taking a bunch of accidental videos of your lap (which we did several times).

Battery = 1 star. I took the camera to Disneyland for the day and the battery lasted from about 8AM to about 3PM, that's all (compared to my 800IS that would last literally and entire trip). The battery itself is shaped like a tube and is smaller than a chapstick container. Not sure why they went with such a small battery when they have that big screen to power.

Video = 1 star. The video was the actual deal break for me and caused me to return the camera. While the videos looked great, the sound was horrible. In one video, all you can hear is background noise and not the people that are talking that are only several feet from the camera. The camera also lets you zoom in/out when shooting video which is awesome; however, when zooming while videoing, you can hear the buzz of the lens moving in/out which is horrible. With all my other Canon cameras, I've never had any of these video issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, February 10, 2012
Harry (Mechanicsburg, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this camer for about a week and so far, it has met or exceeded all of my expectations. I bought it as an upgrade from a Canon PowerShot A710 IS that I have had for years and which has served me very well. I bought the ELPH 510 HS primarily for the longer zoom and the more compact size. The extra megapixels were not a big factor for me. I have been experimenting with the camera and exploring the features and capabilities. I have read the reviews and the complaints about short battery life. The camera comes with a relatively low power battery (870mAh). I was able to burn through that in an afternoon of playing with the camera, taking and viewing shots, video, etc. and hardly turning off the power at all. I bought a pair of 1200mAh batteries for spares. They provide almost 50% more power which should translate to more photos and video between charges.

I am totally satisfied with the camera. It is not a full size digital SLR, which I also considered. But, I wanted a camera that I could keep with me that would give me more flexibility and better pictures than my smart phone. While I am certain the full size camera would provide even more capabilities, it wouldn't do me any good if it was inconvenient to carry along. This camera provides all of the essential, and many not so essential, features that I wanted. It takes great pictures in nearly all lighting conditions. The AUTO mode works pretty well for most shots. I did, however, find that using some of the other scene modes can make a difference, i.e. using Kids & Pets mode when shooting pictures of the grandkids seems to speed up the focus process and results in a better picture. The video is outstanding, especially for the compact size of the camera. I have read reviews claiming that you could hear noise from the zoom while shooting video. I have not noticed that to be a problem.

I like the touch screen. It does take more pressure than my smart phone, but it is not problematic. The menus are intelligently constructed and make it quick and easy to find what you need. I love the way the switches work for powering on the camera, switching between shooting and viewing, and between snapshots and video. The camera is always ready to do whatever you want. The power on time is faster than my previous camera. It is also faster between shots. So, I have no complaints.

The video diary feature is quite nice, but is limited to low resolution video. The same is true for some of the other rapid shooting features, like the five shot group where the camera picks the best shot, or the 8 shot burst, or the continuous shooting. These features work well, but do not produce HD size images. These are the only features of the camera that have not lived up to my hopes.

I also did an accidental drop test on the camera. I had it in my shirt pocket. I dropped something else and when I bent down to pick up what I had dropped, the camera fell out of my shirt pocket onto a tile floor. It powered on just fine and everything seemed to work just fine, but it seemed like it took the image stabilization a little while to reorient itself. It has been working flawlessly since.

One feature that I was looking forward to was the ability to control the camera from the TV remote when connected via an HDMI cable. That does not work with my TV even though it has an HDMI CEC capability. The camera user guide warns that this could be the case. So, I have to hold the camera and manually control it when sharing photos and video with the camera connected to the TV. The full HD video is great. No need to carry a separate video camera anymore.

The bottom line -- This is a very capable, very compact camera that takes very good photos and video. I am completely satisfied and would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars On the fence still..., October 20, 2011
MKinz "Mindi" (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
First, let me say I purchased the Powershot 510 and the Powershot 310. The 510 is a much more solid camera and a lot less plastic than the 310. I think my two largest complaints and frustration comes with the touch screen and the 12 power zoom. The touch screen drains the battery faster than my other Canon Powershot cameras and the zoom is incredibly difficult to get stable when at full 12 power and my pictures haven't turned out as well as I would like at that distance. Overall, I really didn't like the Canon Powershot 310, so I am on the fence as to whether or not I will keep this one. I have a few more days to think about it. For now... here is a more detailed list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Takes incredibly good photos with regard to color.
- Easy to use.
- The vivid setting is great for flowers and fall colors.
- I love the fisheye effect without having to carry around my Canon DSLR camera and lenses. I also love having the wide angle.
- The miniature setting is kind of fun to use.
- Feels incredibly heavy and solid, unlike the new 310.
- Fits easily in my purse and pocket.

Cons:
- Can't stand having finger prints all over the screen when I go to take my picture.
- Touch screen drains the battery pretty quickly over the other Canon Powershot cameras.
- When zooming out, it is very difficult to keep it steady.

Not sure what to order if I send this one back. So, I am still on the fence, as I am partial to Canon cameras over Nikons. The red color is not as it is shown in the picture. It is more of a rust/burgandy color of red... it has a bit more brown to it, but I actually like it.

UPDATE: 12/12/2011 - I ended up sending this one back and kept the Canon 310. I am really glad I did. I get a great battery life and when I compared the photos on this camera vs. the 510, the photos had better color and looked a lot more crisp from the 310. I am happy with my decision.

3.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this camara, October 6, 2011
I am a Canon fan. I have owned several of their pocket shooters and always recommend them to friends and family - and still do, just not this one.

I purchased this camera with high hopes. On paper, the specs look great.. In reality, it falls short.

-As with most point and shoots, the startup time to first image capture is slow. My SD1100 is faster.
-Too many blurry images. The camera was either to slow to auto-focus or just never even bothered. I've never had this problem before with Canon, so I don't understand why this better processor would do this.
-The touch screen is difficult to use. It is difficult to describe, but let's just say that it is nothing like the touch display on an iPhone.

Not as big of a deal, but if you are still considering this camera, I will point out:
-It is heavy. It is well made and sturdy with a big screen - this is bound to happen. The screen is nice though..
-The battery didn't hold up as long as I thought it would. This may be because I had an Eye-Fi card in it, I am not sure.

I would consider the Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12 MP Digital Camera with HS SYSTEM and DIGIC 4 Image Processor (Black) instead. Slightly better zoom and easier, non touch screen controls (and a little cheaper.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Baffled By The Negative Reviews..., May 29, 2012
George Sawyn "GS" (Sturgeon Bay, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 510 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full HD Video and Ultra Wide Angle Lens (Black) (Camera)
I have had nothing but good results with the Elph 510, and I don't quite get some of the negative reviews. I bought the Elph 510 for my wife, and after seeing the results first hand, I decided to get one for myself.
IMAGE QUALITY: The image quality is extremely good, in my opinion, and its high-ISO quality is very good. Before my first purchase, I checked the review at Steves Digicams, and looked at all of the sample photos, as well as some of the sample photos uploaded by users here on Amazon, and I found them to be very good quality.
BATTERY LIFE: The review at Steves mentions the "poor" battery life, "only" 170 shots, and recommends getting a spare battery. If you're worried about battery life, check out the Power2000 compatible battery for this camera; it's available here on Amazon, and (at this moment) it's selling for $7.99 and free shipping. Its rating is 1200 mah, considerably better than the original Canon battery (870 mah). My wife and I both use these and keep the original Canon battery in our bags for spares. Power2000 ACD-326 Rechargeable Battery for Canon NB-9L
THE TOUCHSCREEN: Once again referring to the Steves review, the touchscreen is of a type that works better with a fingernail or stylus than with a fingertip, like the iPad touchscreen. My wife was worried about getting used to the touchscreen, but has gotten used to it and has no problem at all with it, and neither do I; the first camera I got with a touchscreen was the Canon SD980; it worked just fine, and so does this one.
My wife and I both wanted to find a nice, compact camera with big zoom, and the Elph 510 fits our needs perfectly; we are both very happy with it. When I have some spare time, I'll be uploading some sample shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot ELPH 510 HS, February 27, 2012
Don't give much thought to the negative comments about this camera. Canon did an excellent job with this model. Read the directions and make the necessary changes and you will be very satisfied. The touch screen only requires calibration to your touch and it will respond just fine. Read and follow the directions! The pictures and video are excellent and the low light setting works great. Read and follow the directions!! Sound is great. Overall, a great camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great photos, December 2, 2011
This camera is super. I love the way it captures the light.
I have taken photos with this that are similar to others and it produces great photos.
the touch screen takes a bit of getting used to, I now love it. less buttons!
it is compact for a camera with such a great zoom!
I would purchase this camera again... and do recommend it to my friends.
I purchased it when it was list price, now it is a super price.

3.0 out of 5 stars didnt like the touch screen, October 14, 2011
Jay Goodier's review covered it all.. i dont have anything more to say really.. returned it and purchased an SX230HS because i felt the touch screen of ELPH510 is more of a nuisance than actually helpful. It is not even intuitive. Good old button controls are better. Plus SX230 is cheaper, lighter and thinner.

ELPH510 is technically thinner than the SX230 but thats because the SX230 thickness is measured including the slightly projected lens. otherwise the SX230 body is thinner and is lot more comfortable in the hand. And I loved the 14x zoom of SX230. It performs very well, gives amazing results and no complaints so far.

Giving the ELPH510 3 stars because its not so bad, not so good either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera I ever had!, July 25, 2012
Let me start by saying I buy a lot of stuff at Amazon and NEVER write reviews. This camera is AWESOME! I bought this camera for the 12X optical zoom and was concerned about the picture quality because the camera is so small. I was blown away by the quality of the pictures. I just went on vacation and took over 700 pictures in every condition imaginable and the pictures are unbelievable. BUY this camera. It is the cheapest camera I ever bought and the Best camera I ever bought. You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannon Elph, April 27, 2012
I love my little Elph.It has a fantastic zoom and takes great indoor and outdoor photos. Not the greatest for the dark or action shots, but compared to other small pocket cameras, this one is pretty dang good. Would recommend it.

Rate and Discover Movies