5.0 out of 5 stars S120 first thoughts and vs RX100
Just got this camera and have less than 100 pictures through it and although every year I buy one of these and end up returning it, it looks like this "S" might be a keeper finally.

Published 14 months ago by Just Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't record movies without battery dying
I would give this camera 5 stars if it weren't for one problem. Unless the weather is warm and the battery completely full, I can't record 1080p 30fps movies for more than about 30s without the battery dying and the camera turning off.

I've turned of IS and continuous focus to see if that improves battery life but it doesn't. I bought this camera expecting to...
Published 11 months ago by E. Pendergrass

5.0 out of 5 stars S120 first thoughts and vs RX100, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot S120 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video (Electronics)

Like most of its predecessors it's built very well, feels good in the hand, and most of the buttons have good feedback. It has gotten a little more rounded over the years but I like it, square camera with smooth edges that don't annoy me in the pocket.

Out of the pocket this camera is probably adjustability-overkill for most people that haven't dared of taking their camera out of AUTO mode. Whether you like shooting in AUTO or you do choose to leave AUTO behind, the S120 rewards you with a very fast interface, fast response (focus/shutter), and the ability to view and share your images across other devices quickly.

I am a Canon guy. That should not be missed here because I am a little biased, but I have an iphone(5) for my day to day camera. My weekend camera is a Canon 6D and a bag of L lenses. I bought the S120 to bridge the gap between the two. I am not a professional, but sometimes I want professional pics without using my phone or lugging a big DSLR kit around with me - enter the S120.

With the S120 Canon FINALLY offers a simple camera that seems to do everything I want well. What do I want?

- Ability to capture amazing pictures without carrying 20# of lenses with me.
- Ability to hand my wife/kids a camera that they can use too.
- Fast power up, fast focus, fast capture.
- Great video if the situation calls for it, on the fly, no delay.
- EASY way to transfer pictures to my phone (for when I do want to send them elsewhere).
- Canon menus, because they make sense to me.

It does all of these in my opinion, quite well.
If you are looking for a camera that outshines just about anything else on the shelf under 700$ and can avoid bulking your pants pocket - this is the one.

Whats in the box:

- Canon S120 camera.
- Canon (NB6-LH) battery.
- Canon wall charger (CB-2LY).
- Canon wrist cord.
- Registration documents.
- Warranty info.

A couple other things I wanted to mention...

WiFi -- It's actually useful now! This model features a new wifi setup for transferring pictures to your smartphone. I have had this on (2) other units (S110 and EOS 6D) and never use it because it's a pain. With this model I just go into "play" mode on the camera, press the wifi button (up on the D pad) , it immediately asks what I want to connect to, I select "smartphone" and it says start the phone application and point it to this hotspot. Once I do that, I am on the phone browsing pictures. Scrolling through images (large JPEG) on the camera is pretty quick, downloading is pretty quick, disconnecting and getting back to shooting is just as quick. Now you can literally turn wifi on, send a specific image over to your phone, turn wifi off, in the matter of a couple seconds and a few button clicks.
I won't go into what the old way was, because if I could remember it I would actually use it!

RX100 vs S120 -- Just before the S120 was announced I finally broke down and bought an RX100 (new). Not the M2 model but the original, for 600$. I loved the pictures it took, they were amazing amazing images.

Compared to the S120 (in circumstances so far) they are possibly a little better comparing auto mode to auto mode. What I like about the Canon vs the Sony is the Canon seems to capture more how I see things as opposed to the Sony which wanted to make everything look like a carnival if left untouched (it liked to make all the colors exotically vibrant from my perspective). If this were just about images there would have been some tough decisions to make and hairs to split over this.

The size and weight of RX100 to S120 it's no contest:S120. I can put the S120 in a pair of khaki's and go sit in meetings or walk around all day with no worries. The RX100 just felt too darn heavy, and it's larger lens tube sticking out from the front was annoying getting in and out of pockets. The S120 is still a true pocket-friendly camera is what I am getting at.

Build quality-wise both feel like finely crafted machines. The S120 will remind you of other point and shoot cameras and its finish is something I would feel ok with putting in a bag with no case. The RX100 felt like some sort of surgical tool, I mean in a good way - but I felt like putting down on a desk would damage the desk or possibly the finish on the camera. Another strange thing is the S120 feels good in the hand and has some heft but nothing bad. The RX100 felt a little heftier but in a way that I felt if I dropped it, it's life was over - it was just waiting for an opportunity to spill its guts. I would expect the S120 to take a small hit or some tumbling without ending it.

Cost - Although money can be irrelevant to most photographic geeks when it comes to "getting the shot" , I didn't understand why the Sony was hundreds more. The "why" of this is in other parts of the review here so I won't get into it more. I will just say I had a $1,000 budget for my perfect point and shoot, and now I have 550$ to go spend on something else.

Software - I left this for last because I suspect this is where Canon bias comes in. It is also something I suspect is different in the newer model Rx-100(M2) so may not be as relevant. The S120 UI is quick and also very efficient. The RX-100 by comparison was a little slow, and (at least for me) I never felt like I could quickly get to the settings I wanted to without forcing some customization. Neither is over-glitzy or annoying to use, but the Sony one just felt like it was fighting me sometimes when I would change something and then have to re-find it.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I will update it as relevantly as is feasible.
If there is more you'd like to see added or something I missed please comment and let me know, and thanks for reading this!
-Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Most pocketable pro-quality camera you can currently get - picked it over RX100M II, November 18, 2013
I love this little camera. My previous camera was a Canon S100, and I loved it, too. But I really wanted the wi-fi functionality so that I could share pictures with friends and family at moment's notice and not have to wait until I got home (which, half the time I would forget to do anyway). The wi-fi feature works very well. You can upload photos directly to your phone or tablet by connecting to the camera's built-in wi-fi hotspot. Or you can upload pictures directly to the web by connecting the camera to a wi-fi hotspot with internet connectivity. Both ways work great.

Before this one I bought a Sony RX100M II. Great little camera, but it wasn't really pocketable (yes, you could fit it into a jeans pocket, but you would probably hurt yourself if you tried walking with it). Also, the menu wasn't as intuitive or smooth. Plus, it was rather slow to navigate between images in playback mode, not something I was used to since owning the S100, which was very quick.

You can't go wrong with either camera, and it really depends on what you value more. For me, the size and weight of the camera was more important than slightly better image quality of the Sony. I wanted a camera that I could bring with me anywhere and not worry about it, and this one is perfect for that.

I had both cameras to compare side by side. In terms of portability, even though the size & weight look pretty similar on paper, it's no contest when it actually comes down to carrying the camera - Canon S120 wins. If I was going to carry the Sony, it would always be in hand or in a case. That defeats the whole point of having a pocketable camera. I might as well carry a larger & better camera if I'm going to carry it in a case.

While the image quality was slightly better in the RX100M II (especially in low light), it wasn't *that* much better. After carrying around both cameras for a week, I definitely prefer the Canon in terms of portability. I could slip it into my jeans or jacket pocket and forget about it - not something I could say about the Sony.

Both cameras are built like a tank - fantastic build quality. However, I think that the Canon would probably survive a fall onto concrete/marble floor better than the Sony, which has an articulating screen & huge lens.

Pros of the Canon S120:
- Small, lightweight, & most importantly pocketable!!!
- Quite a bit cheaper than the Sony RX100M II ($450 vs $750)
- Wider angle (24mm vs 28mm)
- Longer optical zoom (5x vs 3.6x)
- Touch screen is very nice - useful for manual focusing, menu navigating, picture browsing, etc
- Faster, smoother, and more intuitive user interface - the Sony user interface felt much slower
- Better optical stabilization - I noticed that I got more sharp pictures hand-held at night than with the Sony (on auto mode)
- Built-in neutral density filter - can do really cool motion blur effects during daytime
- Better automatic mode - closer to the way I want the pictures exposed - skin tones in particular are more natural looking
- Very cool built-in HDR mode
- Continuous 9.8fps burst mode until the card fills up - that's awesome! (very few cameras have this)
- Clicky selector ring around the lens - the Sony also has one, but it's smooth (no click feedback), and therefore harder to select settings accurately. I found myself under-rotating or over-rotating the ring when trying to select settings on the Sony.

Pros of the Sony RX100M II that I will miss:
- Sweep panorama - great feature - I don't get why Canon still didn't get this one
- 20MP - awesome detail - you can really use digital zoom with so many pixels
- Huge 1" sensor - better quality pics in the dark, but not *that* much better
- Longer battery life - no big deal as extra batteries are small enough to carry
- Extremely fast focus & shutter - a little faster than the Canon
- Long flash range - you can also manually tilt the flash to bounce off of the ceiling
- Articulating screen - can tilt the screen in different directions
- NFC quick connect feature - very quick tap & connect on some NFC enabled phones

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pocket camera when you don't want to bring a DSLR, October 10, 2013
Mark Sanchez (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
The S120 is a fantastic pocket camera to use when you don't want to carry around your DSLR. For the last couple years the camera I use is a Canon DSLR. Even though I have 2 older ELPH's, I always have used my DSLR until now. The Canon S120 is pretty amazing for a pocket sized camera and works perfect as the camera to grab when you don't want to carry the big DSLR. There are definitely some advantages and disadvantages worth pointing out.

I've been using the S120 for 1 week now. From power up to 1st shot takes barely 1 second. Shutter lag is slightly longer than my DSLR (T3i), but hardly noticeable and completely acceptable. I really like the amazing resolution on the LCD. It almost makes up for not having a viewfinder since I can really see the focus on my shots, but the downside of course is that framing is so much harder without a viewfinder, but that's the tradeoff of a point and shoot. The pictures look fantastic to me. Low light shooting is pretty good with the lens at its shortest focal length and f1.8. Zoomed shots in low light are pretty dark even with high ISO and should be steadied with a tripod or support. Shots in good light are quick to focus and sharp when hand-held. The built in flash absolutely stinks compared to speedlites, but such is the way with tiny built-in's. I wish Canon would give you off-camera wireless like they do on their new DSLR's.

I don't have the STM lens capability, so this not may be true to everyone, but I enjoy using the S120's video shooting much more than my DSLR despite the sensor size advantage due to contrast detection's focus advantage while shooting. The focus and optical zoom is sharp and silent while shooting. The 60p frame rate makes shots look a little artificially smooth, but things look very realistic too.

The menu system is good and familiar to me as a Canon user. I've tried out some of the filters and effects, and they work pretty well and are neat to use. Bracketing and HDR options are great and very quick, as is the background blur mode thanks to the very fast shooting speeds. Speaking of which, if you set a continuous shooting shutter, the speeds are as fast as advertised. I'm using an older Class 10 SD card, made by Lexar, that isn't fast enough for my DSLR's video capture, but works great for all shooting modes on the S120. So I'll say you definitely don't need as fast of a card in this camera as you do in your DSLR.

Wi-Fi setup allows access to Canon's Image Gateway, the smart phone app (Canon Camera Window), and ability to transfer files directly through a Wi-Fi access point. Initial setup take a little time, but once set, it's easy to use the Wi-Fi modes. Battery life is a little short. Granted I spent a lot of time playing around with settings and not shooting, but I could easily burn through a battery in an afternoon. I'd rather have a compact camera with a small battery though, so it's a fair tradeoff. The size of the camera can't be beat for this level of camera. There's quite a bit of mass to the solid construction, but it could stay in my pocket all day.

I'm very impressed with the S120. The initial price is pretty high and I debated just getting the S110 and saving $100, but in the end I decided that this was going to replace the use of my DSLR in a lot of circumstances, so worth paying a little extra. The S120's compact size, 1/1.7" sensor, f1.8 lens, fast shooting speeds, and features focused on DSLR users (like RAW and the selector ring) really won me over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth carrying another device, October 10, 2013
I chose the Canon S120 because I wanted a true pocket camera that takes great pictures and videos. The review sites cover the S120 pretty well, so I'll focus more on why I chose it, how I use it, and how I like it. And since a memory card isn't included, I also ordered a 32 GB (80 MB/s) SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 memory card for storage. This card easily handles continuous shooting and the supported HD video modes.

My previous digital cameras have also been Canon point and shoots (mostly ELPHs). I've gotten used to putting them in my pocket to take with me on trips and to special events. However, smartphone cameras have improved to the point where I started leaving my aging ELPH at home. But even the best phones have notable limitations, and there are times when I want much better pictures than what my smartphone is capable of taking.

I still wanted the convenience of carrying a pocket camera, so I wasn't interested in a bulky camera body and kit lens, or even a compact that doesn't fit in my pocket. So I narrowed it down to the Canon S120 and the Sony RX100. The Sony's 1" sensor was intriguing; however, this Canon's 1/1.7" sensor is still substantially larger than anything that I've used before. Plus, the S120's image quality typically gets pretty good reviews.

I decided that either the Sony or Canon would give me acceptable pictures, and it wasn't necessarily about which one takes the "best" photos. The price was important, but the size was the deciding factor. I looked at a Sony at our local Best Buy; and the (arguably minor) additional thickness made it too big to carry in my front pocket. Sure I could put it in a case; but if wanted to do that, I'd add the Fujifilm X20, Canon G16, Panasonic LX7, and Olympus XZ-2 to my list.

I also take pictures of marine reef aquariums, so I appreciate the S120's manual controls which allow me to adjust the white balance, aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. Plus, the option to shoot in RAW format is real bonus for this type of photography. Reef tank lighting and moving fish can be a challenge for typical point and shoot cameras; however, I'm impressed with how well this camera handles these shooting conditions.

Its 922,000 pixel, 3" touchscreen is sharp, allowing for accurate manual focus adjustments. In addition, the S120 supports either manual focus magnification or peaking (which highlights the edges of objects that are in focus). This is helpful for extreme close ups. However, the autofocus is quick and you can use the touchscreen to select your subject. The camera will even continue to focus on that subject as it moves, or while you frame the shot.

Previously, I had been using a Canon ELPH for travel, a Canon A-series (w/ some manual controls) for taking pictures of marine reef tanks, and a Cisco Flip for occasional videos. The Canon S120 replaces and improves on all three of these cameras. I sure won't miss juggling both the Flip and the ELPH around on vacations. Plus, the S120 is small enough to comfortably carry in the front pocket of a pair of loose fitting jeans.

The pictures that I've taken have been good, even in lower light without a flash. I'm glad the flash doesn't pop up whenever the camera detects low light. I typically just zoom out to 24mm (f/1.8) to get the shot; however, you can easily activate the flash when needed. It has 3 different intensity settings, and does a good job preventing red eye (without using those annoying strobe flashes). Now I can finally take decent indoor and evening pictures.

Even so, I wish the sensor was a little larger and/or the lens was a little brighter (especially at telephoto). Understandably, when shooting in low light without a flash, the photos can be slightly grainy or blurry. However, the processor handles high ISO well, and holding the camera against a solid surface can help reduce blur from camera shake during longer exposures. For me, this is an acceptable trade off for having such a pocketable camera.

Some people use the Canon S120 when they don't want to carry a DSLR; but I use it when I want to take much better pictures and videos than what my phone can take. Now, instead of leaving my camera at home, I bring it along with me (in my pocket). It's a much better camera than my older ELPHs, but I basically use it the same way. Previous Canon point and shoot users (of any series) should be comfortable shooting quality pictures and videos with this camera.

I'm pleased with this purchase, and consider it to be a good overall value. While not perfect, the S120 is the best camera that I've owned. It's not quite as small as an ELPH, but it's still small enough to carry in a pocket. And while I frequently use the Auto mode, its manual controls are invaluable whenever I need them (or if I just want to get more artistic). Finally, the ability to take quality 1080p/60p movies (in MP4 format) is the icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect camera for a traveler, November 15, 2013
I bought this camera for a trip to Seoul, and wanted something more powerful than my cell phone camera or a normal point and shoot. This camera performed admirably for every scene I could throw at it, including low light shots. I am not a professional photographer or reviewer, so I will leave you to Google for good reviews, which there are a few. I will only comment from the point of view of a normal user.

Image quality is, as stated above, excellent. I took some beautiful images with this, which my friends remarked were near professional quality.

Build quality seems extremely good. Its a solid little camera with very little plastic used. Its just about the perfect weight, and the size is perfect. Small enough to comfortably fit in your pocket, without being too small to be comfortable in use.

The LCD screen is beautiful. And if you need a better view, you can connect it to your tablet or smartphone via the WiFi connection, which worked very well. The Canon CW app for iOS 7 worked very well and never let me down. It even allows to attach location data from your smartphones GPS.

The only drawbacks: NO PANORAMA MODE. Don't look for it. Its not there. Big shame, I could certainly have used it to great effect where I was. I had to fall back to my iPhone 5 for that function. Also the battery life is mediocre. Plan to get spare battery to keep around if you are gonna see heavy use. I nearly ran out of juice one day, and you can't charge it via USB while its in the camera, this would at least have let me juice it back up with my travel charger.

I am keeping this a five star review because the pros outweigh the cons heavily, but this is more of a four-and-a-half star product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon S120 vs Sony RX100, November 12, 2013
Jeff Aski (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 8:12 Mins

I use point and shoots for video as much as stills, so I'm always on the lookout for the best of both worlds. The Canon S120 comes close to what I like.

I also own the Sony RX100, which has been the champion of point and shoots for me. What I don't like about the RX100 is the 28mm lens, slow f stops when you start to zoom, and the AVCHD codec.

What I like about the Canon S120 is the 24mm wide angle lens, the MP4 codec for both 1080/60p and 30p and the amazing dynamic stabilization in video mode.

What I don't like about the Canon S120 is the terrible battery life (30 mins on full charge), the slow lens when zooming, and the lack of manual control over aperture/shutter/ISO in video mode. Seriously Canon, why leave that out?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, portable, and love the wifi feature!, May 16, 2014
Cristiano (Seoul, Korea) - See all my reviews
I've had the Canon S90 for the last five years and it truly served me well. I was in the market for a new portable camera with RAW and after comparing the Sony RX100 to the Canon S120, I decided to go with the S120. I was hesitant to go with the S120 because it looked exactly like the S90 and I wanted something different but I've discovered that the S120 is a completely different beast!

Here are the things that have made this upgrade a worthy investment:
1. High Resolution screen: The S120 has a 922,000 dot 3 inch LCD screen, almost double the S90's. Colors are richer and details are sharper!
2. Built-In Wifi: I like to share lots of photos and photo collages on facebook and instagram. The S120 allows me to import high-resolution photos into my iPhone with ease. My instagram uploads never looked better (no more grainy iPhone selfies)! I had to snoop around to figure things out as the instruction manual and online blogs offered nothing. If you want simple instructions, I've provided them below.
3. Faster overall usage: The shutter speed is fast and the camera's burst feature is awesome (9.4 fps).
4. HDR mode: The HDR mode is very useful for scenic, high contrast scenes when you want all the details and shadow areas to come forth!
5. Wide Angle: The focal length is 5.2–26.0mm (or 35mm film equivalent: 24–120mm). This is slightly wider than the S90 and the Sony RX100. It may not seem like much but it makes a big difference when shooting various scenes.
6. Versatile: I've clumsily dropped the camera twice already (once on asphalt and once in a restaurant) and despite some cosmetic scruffs, the camera works great.

Downsides: The battery life on the S120 is definitely shorter than the S90. Be sure to buy a couple of generic batteries for the S90/S120 and carry them with you.

How to Import Photos into Your Smartphone
Do not use Canon ImageGateway, you will waste your time with a registration system that doesn't even work (as of April 2014).

1. To start importing photos into your smartphone, you've first got to set it up. Do this at home on your wireless network. Connect your smartphone to your wireless network. Connect your camera to your wireless network. Take a few photos, go into playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select "Add a Device," and then follow the prompts to add your smartphone onto your S120.

2. Go to the Apple AppStore and download an app called "Canon CW."

3. Once your smartphone is setup and recognized by your S120 camera, you have two options to import photos. The first option (at home on your wireless network): Go to playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select the smartphone icon, and the camera will begin searching for the smartphone on your wireless network. Turn your smartphone on (make sure it's connected to your wireless network) and open the "Canon CW" app (your camera will say "Start dedicated app on target device"). The app should recognize your camera and allow you to preview the photos. Select only the photos you want to import. If the app doesn't recognize the camera, try quitting the app and open it up again.

The second option (on the road with no wireless network): Go to playback mode on your S120, press up on the spin dial, select the smartphone icon, and the camera will create a wireless access point. Turn your smartphone on, go to your network settings, and then select the access point that your camera has created. Then open up the "Canon CW" app and it's the same as above.

I hope this helps someone. I spent hours before I figured this out on my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A point and shoot for professionals and amateurs alike, November 18, 2013
Build Quality 5/5
Picture Quality (for category) 5/5
Portability 5/5
Options and Settings 5/5
User Friendly 5/5

This is the best S-series camera Canon has come out with by far. The S110 and S100 do not compare to this one in terms of picture quality and features available. I have used the Powershot G15 and G1x as well and the picture quality is almost identical. For the size of this camera, I will be using this one over the G1x any time I travel from now on. It fits perfectly and comfortably in your pocket, unlike the G1x and G15. That alone is almost a game changer when on vacation.

The build quality is quite excellent for a touchscreen point and shoot. It is made of the same durable texturized plastic that the G1x is made from, something most point and shoots are lacking. Since it is so new, I still dont know how strong the touch screen is, but it is really responsive and seems very durable. The physical buttons are very responsive and easy to use. You can easily hand this to somebody else to take a picture for you if needed without much instruction besides "press the button on top".

The settings and features available are really exhaustive for a point and shoot. RAW compatibility, manual mode, f/1.8 aperture, 9.4 fps shooting, in-camera HDR, GPS, and tons of other features help take amazing photos for professional editing. Only major thing lacking is an external flash hot-shoe, but the included flash is not terrible and the sensor takes pretty good low-light pictures anyway. When using manual mode, the control ring is really a great alternative for the dial that DSLRs use.

As far as amateur features go, the WiFi is the best part. Its really easy to use and you can easily transfer photos to your iPhone in seconds. Really nice for sending high-quality pictures to your friends or posting to facebook if you dont have your computer with you and you want to free up some space on the memory card.

The video quality is just as good as the G15. I could not tell a difference between the two at all.

The startup speed is a little longer than most DSLRs, but still good for a point and shoot at about 1 second.

This camera will be relevant for a while. The features and picture quality are simply amazing for the size of this thing. When you dont want to lug around all the equipment needed for a DSLR, and need something to fit in a pocket, this camera is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars S120 to go with the RX100, November 25, 2013
Won't rehash most reviews, but I bought this for its video capabilities and to complement my RX100 Mk II. Like a reviewer said before, the video image stabilization is amazing. Videos when walking are fairly stable and are watchable compared to the RX100 when walking around.

I also had the S110 and original RX100. I bought this for the upgrade in video to 1080p 60fps and 30fps. The S110 maxed out at 1080p 24 fps. The RXs can shoot 1080 60p video in AVCHD, which plays choppy on older laptops - (mid spec'd laptops 4-5 years old). But the RXs video quality is better in lowlight, evening situations than the S120. Much less noise, very clean picture whereas the S120 gets very noisy in lowlight. In daylight, the S120 is clean and sharp. So, the RX100 wins in video quality in lowlight and the Canon is just as good in daylight and but better in stabilization.

For photos, most review sites can give detailed image comparisons. Imaging resource, cameralabs, or dpreview etc.. In daylight the S120 shoots nice pictures with good detail. It's not as sharp as the RXs, but that's only seen when pixel peeping. In lowlight the RXs resolve more detail and are less noisy. I would say I didn't like the lowlight high ISO pics from the S120. They were noisy and "mushy".

If you're a S110 owner and want 60 fps for video, I'd say go for it. That's the reason I upgraded. Overall, the S120 looks and performs like a better camera. The body finish is smoother, the control ring turns easier, and its buttons are bigger and rounder, which makes it good for underwater shooting. I put the S120 into a Dicapac underwater bag and accessing the buttons and pressing the shutter was easy. Burst mode in this camera is extremely fast, much faster than the S110. The speed of operation seems zippier over the S110. Battery life is about the same which isn't really good, couldn't get through a day of shooting without it running out. The S120 uses NB-6L, a change from the S110. Spare batteries for the S120 are definitely recommended.

Uploading video clips to a smartphone or tablet via WiFi and then to Facebook or Instagram works really well too. The video quality and stabilization beat that of a smartphone or tablet. The video gets compressed when transferring via WiFi to a smart device so file size isn't an issue. Miniature mode video and certain filters are pretty fun too. Using this underwater or on a mountain bike trip is definitely possible. Makes this a nice multipurpose camera.

If you're not into video but want a good pocket cam, Fujifilm XQ1 just came out as an S120 competitor. It has a bigger sensor and Fuji is gaining popularity with their new sensor design. Might be worth a look. The video I believe is just average, but it's being praised for its picture quality and color.

Overall, I like this camera, I'm happy with it, I'm glad I upgraded from the S110 because it has 1080 60fps and 30fps video. Also it's a nicer camera to handle and the burst mode and operation speed is faster. So it feels like it's an overall upgrade rather than an refresh of the older model. And if this had come out before the Sony RX boom, I probably would have just stuck to this camera for my pocket camera. If I could, I'd give this camera 4.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Cellphone Will Ever Get These Shots., November 14, 2013
Now that direct wi-fi works with the Canon app and the iPhone is capable of processing RAW using Photogene, etc. I have found a good reason to upgrade from my S95. The S95 still takes wonderful pics and is one of the best pocket cameras in existence. I use an Eye-Fi Pro X2 card for wifi with that camera and it works, sort of.

This one works right. You can choose using a thumbnail menu which images to send to your phone, process them with some very good smartphone photo apps, combine images, colorize, add text, crop, whatever you want to do, then upload the resulting image in real time.

The very best smartphone lens and sensor are toys next to this camera. One of my favorite things to do is take a 3-shot bracket, wi-fi the images to my phone and process an HDR shot using the phone's superior processor.

A good smartphone or tablet and the S120 make an exciting mobile imaging team.