4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Concept Flawed by Networking
I have been a Pro and Semi-Pro photographer for many years. Partly because of that experience, and partly because of the staggering advances we have seen in digital DSLR cameras, I was feeling that I had fossilized in my picture taking creativity.

Published 16 months ago by Rick Grant

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor usability and video stability
I bought Canon Power Shot N to take on my vacation in a few months. Having tried it for few days I have second thoughts on it and planning to return it.

Pros: Slim and handy design, reasonable picture quality comparable with new smart phones. The flip display and touch screen are good features. Zoom and shutter rings around the lens are cool. Good zoom range...
Published 11 months ago by Sun Net

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Concept Flawed by Networking, August 12, 2013

Although I have repented since, I was an early and loud fulminator against the whole idea of camera phones. I also wrote off Instragram and others like it as abominations.

Every day for about the last five years I have carried a pocketable camera of some sort, (mostly the Canon S95/100), when I wasn't carrying my large Nikons. I got good snapshots and sometimes photographic art but little of the excitement I used to feel doing what I can only call "found photography", or spur of the moment and random inspirations.

Then I came across the PowerShot N. It is so quirky in its controls and features that I instantly found myself way beyond my photographic comfort zone. I started taking pictures at odd angles, (the tilt LCD is a big help here), I took them for no particular reason, I took a lot. The camera just begged to be used in weird and chaotic ways.

I initially thought that the camera's quirkiest feature, which allows the camera to take not only the picture you wanted but then goes on to take 5 shots of its own using random color temperatures, filters, and zoom positions, was a useless marketers gadget. But that was conservative mindset so I forced myself to turn it on and experiment. Most of the time the random shots are pretty poor or uninteresting, but about ten percent of the time I find that the camera has found a perspective and image setting so far beyond what I would ever have thought of that it verged on brilliant.

So, as a creative tool I cannot speak highly enough of the camera, but there are some things that bother me.

I find myself accidentally triggering the touch screen and messing up either a menu setting or even preventing the camera from taking a shot.

The shutter trigger areas on the front lens ring are a little too small for me and not prominent enough for reliable blind shooting.

But the biggest problem is how Canon has implemented the camera's ability to network. Technically I suppose it is great but for the life of me I have never read such a confusing user manual. It suffers from the greatest sin in technical writing; referring the user to different pages during a procedure. So, you start to read about how to connect to lets say your home network; Step 2 might want you to jump 14 pages ahead to read about something. Then while there you might be sent back 5 pages before where you started and so on.

The manual also commits the technical writing sin of never explaining why you have to do such and such, or what the effect of any options might be, or any explanation for why something may or may not work.

I am pretty comfortable around networks but Canon's user manual is just a dog's breakfast.

That said, I now have a superior camera linked to my smartphone (Nexus 4) so I do not have to use the very poor camera in the phone for Twitter, G+ etc.

And I really do think this quirky little piece of experimental camera technology has really helped me to break out of my self imposed creative straitjacket.

I like it a great deal for that.

Rick Grant
Calgary

5.0 out of 5 stars Powershot N, May 5, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens (White) (Electronics)
So on a lark I bought the Canon Powershot N . It is a nifty piece of technology but a great photographic tool. Its small size and ease of use makes it a perfect pocket camera that you will actually carry in your pocket and take out and use!!. I am a professional photographer in New York and have bought several pocket cameras over the years in the hopes that I will carry and use the thing..Finally I have found that camera. I have not been happier with a pocket camera and use it more often than I thought I would. I have to say the semi articulating screen is a definite plus allowing you to shoot from the hip or even lower. And the any way up allows you to shoot above your head and still view the screen. I would recommend this to any other photographer and even plan to buy a couple more as christmas gifts to family and friends.Canon PowerShot N 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 8x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars The camera is a hit!, May 3, 2013
MeridianX (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
Just received the camera....so far all I can say is that I purchased the white version and it is a gorgeous little camera! BUT please be aware to purchase a microSD card! It doesn't mention this anywhere in the description so I need to get one before I can test out the camera...stay tuned...

Update: May 5, 2013

Camera takes pictures just as good as my Canon S90. Totally different experience though...it is more like my iPhone. Intuitive but requires being open to a camera that handles differently than any before it. The camera is small and subsequently the buttons are small also. Even though the buttons are small they are easy to hit and because of their location, do not get pressed accidentally. The touch screen works very well, only requiring a very light touch. Being able to touch the screen to focus on the area you want to be in focus allows for very quick focus targeting. Also, using the screen to sweep through the pictures is very convenient. The zoom is very quick and the swing out screen is very handy. The creative burst feature has been a favorite of my high school age daughter. She has borrowed the camera quite a few times to take pictures and post them to her social accounts. I found the slow motion video to be a addicting...there are two speeds to choose from...taking slow motion video of my son's golf swing allows us to see everything very clear and in very cool slow motion. I have used it to capture my other children practicing gymnastics, bike riding and trampoline jumping...it gives us all a good laugh. Most importantly, and the reason I bought the camera, is the wireless capability. So far for me it has worked great. If I want to post something or want to send a friend a picture I start up the CameraWindow app on my iPhone and I can view all the pics on the camera. I then select what I want transferred to my iPhone. The transfer has been quick and effortless.

So far I have not explored all the capabilities of the camera but I can say I am very happy with the camera. I have also had positive reaction and have shown the camera to a number of interested people who have seen me while using it public. For the price it has exceeded my expectations.

Update: May 10, 2013

Still enjoying the camera! I want to add some additional thoughts on this camera. I have not altogether replaced my compact point & shoot with this camera. This camera is for someone willing to try something unconventional and is not looking for a replacement for their S95 or G10. It does not have the traditional manual functions of an enthusiasts camera but it has more capabilities than a camera phone (does use a similar sized flash however). The camera is more of a curiosity that lends itself to the fun picture taking. There is a dedicated button that allows you to shoot a quick succession of shots (some randomly of the background and not the subject!) and adds creative filters to them. This is the type of customer that I believe Canon is focused on. My teens love it and get a kick out of it when sometimes a stranger in the background shows up as the main subject of one of the random creative shots. Also, if you do not want to upload your pics via WiFi to your phone then this probably isn't the camera for you. ... Just some thoughts if you are looking for a serious point & shoot camera to replace an old favorite...

4.0 out of 5 stars Love This Camera, Finally..., June 18, 2013
michael d collier (Flowery Branch, GA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this camera for about a month. I couldn't wait to get it, then I couldn't figure out what to do with it. It is such a departure from any camera I've ever used, it took a while to find a way to enjoy using it.

First, the biggest thing is the form factor. How to hold it? I found that for your typical snapshot, opening the screen 45 degrees made for the best combination of holding the camera and seeing the shot. I also found that the ring shutter release is really awkward, especially if you wanted to use the touchscreen to select your focus point. It's much easier, especially with the screen at a slight angle, to touch where you want the focus and snap the shot at the same time. There is a setting to enable the touch to shoot option.

Secondly, the next big thing is the WiFi feature. I've used Eye-Fi cards for years, and expected the same experience. Not so. Not nearly as automatic, but still pretty simple once you figure it out. First, press the WiFi button on the camera. It will start looking for an access point on your network, or, what I recommend, a smartphone. Next, on your phone, change the WiFi network to the name display on the LCD of the camera. Now you can select photographs on the camera and transfer them to an impressive number of websites.

With these two revelations (for me), I've gone from "why bother" to "hey, this is kinda cool".

Finally, the image quality is extremely good, much better than most P&S cameras. The Depth of Field is even decent using the method I mentioned. I posted an image here so you can see what I'm talking about.

So, if you're feeling a little adventuresome, this is a really well built camera that takes great pictures. The only drawback I see is if you are out with friends and want a stranger to take a picture for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!, September 18, 2013
My daughter absolutely loves this camera. She said it is everything that she expected and more. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a small point and shoot that works!!!, May 8, 2013
Roger Norberg (florence, wi United States) - See all my reviews
I usually shoot with professional grade equipment but there are always times when you want to carry a very small camera for shooting casual pictures. I have tried several over the years but the results were never satisfactory, or the camera was slow and not responsive enough. The PowerShot N is the perfect machine! Its very fast, images are excellent sharpness across the zoom spectrum and low light or odd light images are very good.

You have to spend a little time getting accustomed to handling the camera as it is quite small and the shutter is on the lens ring. However in a very short time it all makes sense. Overall its very simple and intuitive, and the wifi feature is an extra bonus. You don't have to accept smartphone quality pics if you have this camera (which is smaller than a phone). Its also very well built, quality materials and finish, feels good in your hand. Some will be turned off by the price but if you want a really high quality very small camera that can shoot high quality images, this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, February 17, 2014
I ordered this for my girlfriend as a gift and she really love it. I didn't think it would be that great due to the size of the camera but the photos are surprisingly sharp. Really good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mother's Day Gift, June 25, 2013
I purchased this camera with my gift card. So far I love it. I own several compact digital camera's and think this one will probably be my favorite. The size is great. I love the focus lens an touch screen is awesome. The flip screen has so far been great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Innovations!, February 16, 2014
I love everything about this camera. Perfect size for grab-and-go photos. The tilt display is a must for capturing photos from great creative angles. My #1 tip for interesting photos—change the perspective—don't just hold camera up to your face and shoot. For example, try holding the camera at or below your waiste and angle up. I think you'll find it more interesting than normal snapshots. This is why I am so excited about this little gem—the tilt display alone makes it far superior to any camera phone on the market.

The zoom ring, which is very old-school, is easy to control and has a very smooth action while shooting video. I've quickly adapted to the shutter ring—but, if you aren't wild about it, just switch to touch screen shutter. For touch screen, hold your finger on screen, wait for in-focus beeps, lift finger and shutter releases.

I have found myself cradling the camera in my left hand with my thumb resting on top of the zoom ring and my index finger wrapped around the bottom of the zoom ring—easily controlling zoom with my thumb. I use my right hand for on-screen selections, shutter release, and added stability. This is very reminiscent of my days of using a SLR film camera.

I have found the touch screen controls to be very intuitive, but, highly recommend taking the time to load the users guide and reading it to get the most out of this wonderfully designed little camera. I would love to see this ingenious design widely adopted for point and shoot cameras.

The metal housing is beautiful and sturdy. I was happy to find that this model sold by Amazon included the neck strap and blue "sleeve" that is standard for the N FaceBook model. The little sleeve seems pointless, but I love the neck strap. Also happy with Amazon's service. My first PowerShot N had a serious scratch on the display screen. I braced myself for the hassle and expense of exchanging it. To my delight it was quick, easy, painless, and free. I just followed the exchange procedure and the damaged camera was picked up by UPS the next day (free to me) and the replacement was shipped immediately and arrived in about 4 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cozy, comfortable, useful, March 11, 2014
The Canon N is an innovative, fun camera, focused on convenience. Let me use my usual disclaimer, in the interest of fairness, and admit that many cameras by reputable makers (and there are many) deliver what they promise. It is more about what camera traits you are looking for. So, I would suggest to anyone looking to buy one to google 'camera trait search' and get the whole picture.

The Canon N is a fixed lens camera (point and shoot, some would say), with 12.1 resolution (megapixels), and a x8 zoom. The sensor size is 1/2.3 inch CCD-type, which is standard for cameras of its class.

It does not have a viewfinder, which, again, many in its class don't. The ISO rating, which is the gauge for how well it does in low light, is 6400. That rating is sufficient for most purposes. The video is a Full HD- that is 1980x1080 resolution. It does not have a hot shoe for an external flash option. That is not unexpected for its size and category. The LCD screen is a 461,000 resolution. The camera does not do RAW processing but you would need only if you did not want to be limited by JPEG type storage. The burst rate is a reasonable 2.3 frames persecond- great for quick shots. The weight of the camera is a convenient 195 grams.

Canon N comes with WiFi, and the LCD is both tiltable and touch-screen.

Overall, a fun, convenient camera. Having been into photography for a while, I do stress though that you do a camera trait search. That will also tell you more about what you want.