1,353 Reviews

1,747 of 1,785 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Canon
I received my SX260 last Wednesday and have taken about 700 shots and a few quick 5 minute video. Without writing a novel, here are the high/low points of this unit. In addition to this unit, I also purchased a couple of aftermarket batteries (and after market A/C adapters for about $5.00 each) for about $5.00 each and the batteries work fine. With the battery (original...
Published on March 20, 2012 by Eric T.

2,012 of 2,077 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars 20x Zoom Comparison - Sony HX20; Canon SX260; Panasonic ZS19
I couldn't decide between these three cameras (and their variants, the Sony HX30 and the Panasonic ZX20) because many of the reviews of each made the cameras sound very similar. So, I went out and bought (from merchants who accepted returns) one of each of these three cameras (I didn't need WI-FI or GPS, so that's how I settled on these less expensive variants). And...
Published on September 27, 2012 by Artemaria

1.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, wretched company. Buy a Nikon with all the same features., June 9, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Image Stabilized Zoom 25mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full-HD Video (Black) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I ordered this camera for my husband as an early father's day gift (we wanted it in time for our vacation at the end of May). For the three weeks we had the camera it took beautiful pictures and the burst feature was great for taking pictures of our eight month old daughter. Then, the lens wouldn't retract and an error code appeared on the screen. No big deal, we thought. We've only had the camera for three weeks, it must still be under warranty. Per a Canon representative's instructions, we sent the camera back via priority mail. We got an email from Canon stating the camera was out of warranty (what!?!?!?!) and a replacement would cost $269.00. I paid less than that including shipping from Amazon (which is a great company). What kind of company warranties it's products for less than 30 days? Are they being serious? I even went as far as to request clarification because their response stated the camera was "being replaced," which implied a replacement would be provided free of charge. Nope, they stated without a hint of irony, if we want a new camera we need to give them $269.00. Long story short, Canon does not stand behind their products and provides customer service that is on par with a student loan company...or a collections agency....or the prison system. Don't buy their products. Just don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dig and reap the rewards., June 11, 2012
I have been using this camera now for a while. I come from the SLR film days and needed something that would provide full manual (just enough) controls that would allow me to tweak settings if I wished. This camera is a 90% fit for me in this regard. No use having all of the bells and whistles and not be able to grab it and carry it along and end up missing the shot. There are compromises, notably some quality, for the convenience. If all you end up printing on is letter sized photo paper, you'll be fine. I use a Canon Pixma 980 and the results are as good as my SLR stuff from 25 years ago, all instantly, compared to those days. Take the time and go through the manual (it's a pity that it only comes in pdf format) it is really worth it. That being said, it's a lot to digest in one go, so give yourself some time to work through the features (and there are many). Seems that each setting has some gems buried in sub-layers of settings. Unless you clearly understand the basics and what the terms mean, it can get quite intimidating. The auto modes do work well though, and if you understand the impact of high ISO, various shutter speeds and aperture values, you can always tweak things yourself. The bottom line is that it does a fine job of both auto and manual shots. The wide to superzoom is really great, and combined with some really good low/natural light capabilities, this camera is lots of fun. The most confusing thing for me when I first held it was "where do I hold it?" It's so small, that I really do not know where to place my fingers at times, but the metal feel is sturdy. The flash can be a bit annoying sometimes, but I've worked that out by mainly shooting in "auto" and setting "no flash" until I do really need it. The GPS feature is handy, but I would not use it unless travelling around. Get lots of spare batteries, you'll need them, as battery life is not too good. Also get a good case, as the lens can be easily damaged. There is lots more that I can say about this camera, nearly all good; but I'll leave it here for now. P.S. Do not be afraid of the digital zoom, this one can actually get a really far off shot if necessary, and the blur is understandable, but tolerable.

July 17th 2012 Update:
Still loving this camera. Pay attention to all of the features and experiment with P settings. Keep ISO at around 200 and you will get the sharpest pics, although the high ISOs in low light on Auto does do a pretty good job. The camera has what it takes if you care to take the time and learn how to use its many features. Sometimes a bit daunting for the point and shoot person, but nice to know that manual settings are there when you feel to push your photography skills a bit further.

October 3rd 2012:
It has been six months now, and this camera does not disappoint ....period. Want a solid point and shoot with great quality? Buy this!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Camera! BUT I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE VIDEO, March 29, 2012
Bruce A. Moon "ESLBruce" (Rio Linda, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am revising my review because I just returned the camera to Canon. On reviewing the videos taken in quiet rooms, I found that I had clicks and whirs. Perhaps it is something about the autofocus mechanism but a properly designed microphone shouldn't be picking up internal sounds.
The quality of the video, apart from the sound, is excellent. The camera's performance indoors in situations like museums and restaurants is great. The AWB is not as good as the one on the Nikon S8100 (but the lens mechanism seems to be better than Nikon's, which failed). The zoom and image stabilization are fantastic for both video and stills. I am hoping that Canon gives corrects the problem because as a travel camera, having this much zoom and quality of video in a pocket-size package is great. If they can fix the sound problem, I'll change the review back to the 5 star I first gave it.
Here's the rest of original review:
I just got the camera yesterday so I haven't gone anywhere. How can I say it's a great travel camera? Last summer I traveled for 30 days in China, carrying a backpack, roller bag, and a ScottEVest. As much as I would love to take an SLR, the weight of the camera and lenses I would need, plus being alone with a prominent camera, make taking an SLR impractical and unwise. I was very happy with the NIkon S8100, but I went through two of them (scratched lens on the first; "lens error" on the second. After reading other's experiences trying to get Nikon, I decided to come back to Canon. I looked the Sony travel zooms too and they looked like excellent choices, but I have had good luck with Canon.
While I had glanced at the manual online, once the camera arrived, I wanted to start shooting right away. I didn't wait to give the battery a full charge. The controls are fairly intuitive (finding the scene modes takes a bit of practice). The Auto and Easy focus modes work great (I need to read up on the difference; apparently you can easily change settings in the Easy mode, but I have only turned off the flash.). Reviews of the SX230 had complained about the flash automatically popping up and the position. When you are out of the Easy mode, the flash stays down even after you turn it off. In the Easy mode, it pops up after you turn it off if it needs light.
The default for the GPS is apparently off when it comes out of the box. When I found I had no GPS data (there's map software that uses Google Maps), I turned it on and took more pictures outside. The SX230 reviews had complained that the camera often wouldn't shoot if it didn't have a GPS fix. I didn't experience that, but I also have an acre and clear shot of the sky. When I checked the track log in the software, I found that at the closest zoom level I had a track that showed all of my wanderings around my yard. iPhoto picked up the location data without any problem. Pictures in Picasa showed the precise location but the default setting hides the location so you don't have to worry about your privacy if you wish to hide it. With the proper setting in Flickr, you get a nice map of the locations in your uploads with precise locations you never even heard of. iy home shows up with the name of the subdivision plot. The only other place I have seen that is on my property deed and the county assessor maps.
. I have both a Mac and a PC; there are versions of the software for both. However, I probably won't be using it since I use Lightroom and iPhoto. Both the Mac and the PC had no problem recognizing the camera and transferring the pictures.
I tried a few of the scene and effect modes and they seem to work fine. The Supervivid gave a very impressive brightly colored picture of my neighbor's field and horses (see my uploaded images). The "fisheye" worked as expected. I shot some "Very Low Light" pictures and the camera worked well even though I didn't use a tripod; however, the version that showed up when I tried to upload it to the Amazon gallery didn't show a tree caught in the moonlight. I guess that was because of the compression.
The video mode works fine and is accessible with a red record button so you don't have to dial up the video setting which is on the dial. The microphone is very sensitive. I could hear the cars passing on the street 150 yards away (we don't have any buildings between the road and us that dampens the sound). HOWEVER, you can also hear the zoom motor sometimes so if you are going to make video, it would be best to shoot, stop the shot, zoom in or out, and then shoot again. You can see some of the video in my Flickr photostream; I am eslbruce. Of course, when you zoom at the extreme ranges, you do get camera jerking and moving when you are just holding the camera with your hands.
I have ordered three extra aftermarket batteries and a charger for my travels. I expect the GPS to drain the battery; hopefully , four batteries will do the trick. In an unusual setting like the Forbidden City or Summer Palace in Beijing, I can easily shoot over 1000 pictures in a day. One review said they got 300 shots from the camera using flash half the time; I am not sure they had the GPS on though.
The choices of size of pictures leap from 12mpxl to 6 mpxl for medium. I would prefer 8, but 6 mpxl would still be plenty large enough for a 5x8. The camera comes with no SD card; I ordered four of the AmazonBasic Type 6 SD cards for less than $9 each. It handles the HD video fine with no stuttering or buffer overrun.
This review is after less than 24 hours. If something comes up and I decide that the camera has problems and is less than five stars, I will come back and revisit it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compact Super Zoom, July 15, 2012
Alan Houston (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Canon SX260 HS has a zoom lens of astounding power and quality that covers the range from an ultra wide 25mm out to a 500mm long range zoom that enables you to get a good photo of the batter from a seat in center field.

Why do I love this lense? The photos in the wide-angle range of 25mm to 35mm are superior in quality to those taken with my Nikon and Minolta wide angle lenses that sold for twice the price of this camera. The lens is especially sharp in the 50mm to 150mm range where most photos are taken. And, surprisingly, the long-range photos in the 300mm to 500mm can be superb if you take the time to carefully steady the camera and lock in a precise focus.

The stabilization mode enables you to take good photos at 500mm without a tripod, although supporting your hands on a railing or other support will increase the percentage of sharp pictures. The Canon will focus quickly at 500mm in bright sun light, but in hazy, or cloudy conditions, it may take a few seconds to lock in a precise focus.

In the "old days", we used a heavy duty tripod and a magnifying eyepiece to get sharp photos at 500mm. So, I don't mind the fact that the Canon sometimes takes five or six seconds to get a precise focus lock on long range subjects...beats carrying a five pound tripod and two pound telephoto lens.

The Canon's many manual modes permit getting exactly the photo you want, although studying the full 240 page manual, and reading Burian's "Canon Powershot G12" Guide will help you learn how to unlock all of the powerful features of the SX260. And, you can put the Canon into the "easy mode" with the red heart symbol, hand it to a ten year old, and most of the photos will turn out great.

I prefer to use manual mode, with the ISO locked at ISO 100, and the aperture set near f/4 for the sharpest results. Under cloudy/hazy conditions, I use ISO 400 and I found that an 8 x 10 enlargement from the ISO 400 photos look just as sharp as an 8 x 10 enlargement from a ISO 100 photo. The quality of 8 x 10 enlargements at ISO 800 are noticeably lower, which is why I don't like using the Canon's auto modes...the auto modes often select ISO 800 when ISO 400 would be a much better choice.

The SX260 has a "Live" mode that enabled me to take a photo I've struggled with for years. A building in my neighborhood has a facade that mixes white stone with gold stone, and brown stone. I've taken photos of it with about six different cameras and every possible setting. At best, I can get the color and tone of two of the three colors of stone just right, but never all three.

The "live" mode puts an image of the building on the screen and then lets me move three sliders for the color balance, brightness, and color saturation. Just keep moving the sliders until the image on the camera's screen has all three sets of stone precisely the correct color, then take the picture. The photo will be perfect.

The power of the "live" mode is that you are not chosing a "sunny" color balance or a "shade" color balance...the slider lets you dial in a precise color balance that may be somewhere between "sunny" and "shade". Likewise, the color saturation slider lets you get colors that are stronger than "neutral", but not as strong as "vivid". The live mode is easier to use than to describe, but the bottom line is: you will be able to get a perfect photo of any subject, no matter how challenging.

Flash photos are mediocre. I get better results indoors by using ISO 400 and keeping the flash off. The "custom" white balance feature makes it possible to reproduce a candle lighted dinner or a Klieg lighted rock concert.

The SX260 is the smallest and lightest camera with a 25mm to 500mm zoom lens that provides full manual modes. It is the best light weight travel camera on the market selling for anything close to its price. I suspect more than a few pros will have one in their bag.

If you want to be able to enjoy the full power of the SX260, buy Burian's "Canon Powershot G12" guide. The SX260 and G12 share most of their key features, although some features have different names. Burian will show you how to take photos with the SX260 that look like photos taken with a $3,000 pro DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased with This Camera!, July 1, 2012
First let me say that I have a Nikon D80 that I love. However, I really wanted a compact camera that could fit in my pocket easily so that I didn't have to tote the big Nikon everywhere. After tons of research, I first tried a Sony and returned it after one day because the pictures all looked like water paintings. At that point, I was worried that no compact camera would give me the picture quality I was seeking and accustomed to with my DSLR. Oh, how I was wrong.

I played with my new Canon Powershot SX260 HS and instantly fell in love. The pictures are amazing sharp and clear, and there are plenty of controls for those who are used to manual settings in DSLR cameras. The videos turned out nice and clean also, and although I can hear a slight sound when I zoom, it does not take away from the video or overpower it in any way.

There are lots of fun settings in this camera as well. You can set up photo ID's of your loved ones, and this camera will automatically pick them out in a scene and focus on them. I have an active 4-yr-old, and so far, I've not gotten any blurry or unusable shots.

Overall, I am very pleased. I took a picture of the moon last night without a tripod, and I could see the craters in the moon quite clearly. After seeing my photos with this little camera, my family and friends all started posting their large DSLR cameras for sale so that they could switch out for this compact camera. That says a lot as to the picture quality. I urge people to try this one - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, no video whine problem, July 15, 2012
J. Morrell (Ewa Beach, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
After reading more than 200 product and customer reviews about this and several other cameras, I decided that more than anything else I really wanted the 20x optical zoom and I really wanted the quality of photo I've come to expect from Canon. Nevertheless, I was very worried about the whining noise other reviewers reported hearing during video playback. Although this is primarily a photo camera for me, I still like to be able to take videos of some things; and I especially like being able to do it with the same camera that I use for photos; because I don't want to carry more devices than is absolutely necessary. If you can't already tell, I'm a point and shoot kind of guy. That said, I know a few professional photographers, so I recognize the difference between a good photo and an average one.

The good:
This camera takes beautiful photos.
The 20x optical zoom is spectacular (I've even taken pictures of Saturn, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter).
The low and variable light focus is shockingly good with few pictures ruined by blur.
I have not heard a whine during video playback.
Although the zoom motor can be clearly heard during very quiet video, most of my video shots consist of the kids playing or singing at a school performance, or other somewhat noisy activities. Under those circumstances, even the zoom motor is completely drowned-out.

The bad:
The zoom motor is clearly audible in video playback if the activity being shot is quiet.
I don't particularly like the positioning of the video record button (but I'll learn to live with it).

In short, I don't know how I ever lived without 20x optical zoom! I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Great for novice, definitely more PINK than RED..., December 28, 2012
Jessica F (Fairfield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Like many other reviewers, I spent countless hours researching before purchasing. I seriously debated between this camera and the Panasonic Lumix DMC- ZS15 Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS15 12.1 MP High Sensitivity MOS Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom (Black) I read all of the reviews posted here (plus comments) as well as the in-depth reviews from c/net and dpreview (I would strongly suggest reading the reviews on dpreview - very, very helpful!) I was in the market for a point and shoot because I am having my first baby very soon. In the end, I picked the Canon over the Panasonic because I've heard that the Canons are more "user friendly" and I want to enjoy taking pics, not be struggling with a camera. I won't re-iterate everything already posted here, just some comments:

1) If you are considering buying the "red" camera, be advised that the color is definitely more of a pink/rose/plum. (I posted a pic above)
2) The camera does NOT come with a memory card. You will not be able to take pics without one - like the old fashioned film cameras, you had to buy the film separately - not sure why this is a huge problem for so many people. I would suggest getting a class 10 - I bought this one & it works great. I have NO ISSUES with it being "slow to focus" or delay between shots --> Transcend 16GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS16GSDHC10E)
3) It does NOT come with a full printed manual - it is accessed via the included CD or online at the Canon website. At 238 pages, it's "greener" to not include it. It comes with a quick-start printed 35 page booklet only. HOWEVER, in EASY mode, step-by-step instructions appear on the LCD screen to guide you along.
4) Lots of reviewers complain about the pop-up flash interfering with finger placement and how it pops-up "unexpectedly" during a shot. The flash does not obliterate the entire corner. It actually takes up less than half of the depth. There is plenty of room behind the flash to rest your finger if you insist on placing your fingers on the corners (unless you have huge fingertips). Also, you can simply turn the flash off - it is very easy to turn on and off with each shot.
5) Auto mode vs Easy mode - Auto mode is fully automatic, all buttons except zoom, flash disable, and movie button disabled. Easy mode is ALSO fully automatic with all buttons except zoom, flash disable and movie button disabled HOWEVER on-screen instructions on the LCD screen guide you through each shot. SUPER easy!

PROS (some repeats of other reviews - sorry, just can't help myself!) :
-The zoom is just freakin' awesome - I didn't think I needed it, but wow!
-Made from metal, not plastic - feels sturdy and well built, without being heavy.
-Very, very easy to use - literally just point and shoot for great shots, but with enough options to "grow" with the you and/or satisfy the more camera-savvy
-So many settings and options! Not just the fun stuff like fisheye and pinhole effect, but settings for red-eye correction, wind filter, checking for closed eyes, face detection, wink self-timer, smooth skin, customizing sounds, discreet mode, snow, fireworks, underwater...plus so much more
-Simply outstanding pictures - clear, crisp, vivid, bright, no blurring or overexposed photos - just AMAZING!
-Price - for under 200 bucks, its a steal!
-Amazon's phenomenal return policy. If you're not happy, return it - simple as that.

CONS:
-NONE so far - but I'll update if anything changes
-Battery life - I haven't had an issue but others do complain about it. I have the GPS off which supposedly makes a big difference.

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: High Pitch Noise on Video SX260, June 7, 2012
All the reports of a high pitch noise been recorded on video mode are true. I bought this camera at Best_Buy and it had the same issue, this problem is extremely widespread and if you see the camera been sold at a discount is probably because the store knows they have a problem and are dumping them on uninformed buyers. Do not underestimate this noise, it will ruin your wedding video for sure or any video shot in a semi-quiet environment. Shame on Canon for not issuing a recall. Sadly there is no way to test the cameras been sold on internet stores and they are not easy to return.
Also the battery life on this camera is dismal even if you are not using the GPS function or autofocus mode, if you turn the GPS you will be lucky if you get 200 pictures with one charge. Another annoying quirk is that this camera does not create automatic Panoramic photographs, it simply does not stitch them together, that is just plain dumb.

UPDATE: I exchanged the defective Canon SX260 for the same model, the new camera produces no high pitch noise but the Canon SX260 still introduces an unusually loud white noise, sounds like a "waterfall" on the background, it is always there, even when there is music or dialogue. It never goes away. Compared to my Sony Cybershot, the Canon SX260 background noise is easily twice as loud what it should be. Because of this, I still cannot recommend this camera for shooting in quiet environments. In my humble opinion the microphone automatic "gain" is set too loud compared to other digital cameras.
Walllmart has taken all their Canon SX260 off the shelves around here, I wonder why. BB is still selling them and may be re-selling the defective ones that everyone has returned including mine, Canon does not allow them to resale open-box so they may very well put them back on the shelf with no warning. I cannot speak for Amazon, their cameras could be fine but others here will have to testify to that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great on average, but Auto mode not great. Beware video squeal!, April 5, 2012
C. High (Broomfield, CO USA) - See all my reviews
NOTE: My previous review stated some strong concerns about a high-pitched audio frequency coming through all the videos. We exchanged the first camera, but the 2nd was not pronounced enough to ding the review significantly for. I have revised the star rating to match, though I'm not convinced it's gone...

Let me preface by saying that I've been buying and recommending Canon digitals for over 10 years. In fact I still have my old silver PowerShot S60 stowed away in my drawer, and the SX260 HS is probably our 9th Canon. I'm starting to wonder if that's actually a GOOD sign or not, as the longevity of every new model seems to suffer...

After our SX230 began putting out more and more WEIRDLY colored photos in P-Auto mode (in full, healthy sunlight no less where Canons have always shined), we started shopping other brands. There's a lot of good cameras out there but between the Nikon's noise, and the Sony's dull brown colors we always returned what we had and waited for the next in the SX series.

Now that we have it, my wife has been really happy with the photo quality in most situations, however the AUTO mode which advertises as being "so intelligent" misses the mark on MANY occasions. Especially around kids and low light. Every kids photo comes out blurry, so inevitably I return to P mode and manually up the ISO or force the flash to compensate.

The video of the last couple generations has been fantastic in HD, although there is a bit of ambient audio hiss in this model which we don't notice in our older videos.

On average though, I can recommend this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but defect of video squeal for three, the fourth one is good, April 11, 2012
Today, I received this camera which I ordered online days ago. The camera looks beautiful and I like its design. I took several pictures, the quality of pictures is nice.

But, after recording video using this camera and playback, I heard that squeal sound, like other people experienced and posted in here.

I think it is the defect of this camera. I will return it to the seller. If they can find one which has no this defect, I still want this SX260 HS. Otherwise, I want refund.

Seems this is the defect of this new released camera. So, I would suggest that if you want to buy this camera, the better to wait for next 2-3 months, then to see.

There are video which were posted by the buyers who have this problem also. I quote in here (see comments )for your reference.

UPDATE:
After waiting for another two weeks, I purchased this one again. This is my fourth SX260HS after returned previous three because of high pitched sound of video.

This new one is great! No high pitched sound of video, and pictures quality is still pretty good. I also satisfy its lower-light shot. Not bad.

The con is, so far, the Auto mode. When focusing on yellow flower, on the screen, it is kind of whiten. Another con is a little bit of slow when focusing.