5.0 out of 5 stars The best pocket-sized Canon yet
BOTTOM LINE:

Published on March 25, 2011 by Bob Tobias

Published on June 17, 2011 by M. Kato

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pocket-sized Canon yet, March 25, 2011
BOTTOM LINE:

With each generation, Canon makes the ELPH series easier to use and still get great results. Like it's predecessors, this one fits easily into your pocket (or the case I recommend toward the end of this review). That point alone may make this the best camera you own; having a $5k DSLR doesn't do you much good if you left it home because it wasn't worth the effort to lug it along.

However, unlike many other small cameras, this one does not sacrifice either features or quality. Well, it does give up on any reasonable manual control, things like setting shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO. What access you do have to that level of control is buried deep inside menus. It took Canon a while to realize that for most of us, if we wanted to fool with that kind of thing on a regular basis, we would be using a different camera. This camera is designed to leverage convenience over extreme control or nth degree quality.

DETAILS:

It is a small camera and carries with it the baggage that comes with the convenience of having to carry so little baggage. (sorry, couldn't resist) None of the issues raised, given that they comes as part of the convenience trade-off made me consider anything other than the 5-star rating this camera deserves.

One issue with all small cameras is the built-in flash. They are all underpowered and create red eye. Both problems are caused by the need to keep the camera small; the flash needs to be small and positioned close to the lens. Canon addresses it by putting in some really good noise reduction so you (actually the camera) can shoot at a relatively high ISO in low light allowing for a faster shutter speed. The result is an image that is both low noise and not blurry. And the best part is the camera takes care of all that so you don't have to. As a result you can take pictures in a well lit room without having to use the flash at all.

- The shutter response, as with any small digital camera for less that $500, is a bit slow for effectively capturing children and pets. The trick for doing that is to either have a great sense of timing and a shutter that reacts instantly or a reasonably fast ( > 4x / sec ) burst mode. This camera has neither.

Some other suggestions that apply:

Normally at this point I would put in some details about manually setting ISO or selecting a color space. However, for this camera it just isn't relevant. You are buying this camera because you want to take great pictures without having to worry about that stuff. If you do want to "take your photography to the next level then a great resource is the Confessions of a Compact Camera Shooter: Get Professional Quality Photos with Your Compact Camera.

Finally, I've found the Caselogic QPB-1 Compact Digital Camera Case (Black/Gray) is just the right size for this camera. It's semi-rigid so you get a fair amount of protection but doesn't add a lot of bulk. It's made even better by using one of these, Nite Ize SB1-2PK-01 Size-1 S-Biner, Black, 2-Pack, to secure it to a belt loop.

Update: Since posting the review about a year and a half ago the camera case I mentioned was replaced by the Case Logic TBC-301 Ultra Compact Camera Case (Black). I've tried it and the camera fits perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon ELPH 100 HS -- U R going to luv it, March 18, 2011
Just received my Canon ELPH 100 HS {orange} and I absolutely love it. The camera boots up almost instantly. Installed a 16GB SDHC class 10 card and now have 5000+ 12MB photo capacity or 60 minutes for HD video. The image stabilization at max digital zoom 4X4/16x works great! The camera easily fits in my pocket and is very light @ ~5 ounces.

The Canon's Digic 4 processor & CMOS sensor make this camera truly point and shoot. By default it automatically selects the light level, shaking, target focus, shutter speed, flash/noflash and ISO to pick the optimal scene type. Perfect pictures virtually every time when button is correctly pressed 1/2 way (1) before fully in (2) for photo shot. But be sure to get a class 10 card for the best video.

The only 2 minor problems I believe are:
1) It comes with a 700 mAh 3.7 Volt battery instead of the 1400 mAh 3.7 OEM version which doubles it run-time for 230 photos to almost 500 pictures per charge. This is easily fixed when ordering additional batteries just get the larger mAh capacity ones.
2) The CameraWindow transfer software doesn't automatically delete pictures after they are transferred. Some people like this as not to delete photos improperly transferred.(I do not). Some camera blogs suggest a quick format after transfer is the way to quickly delete photos/video after successful transfer.

However, this is the best point and shoot camera I have used and I still think it's a 5 star camera @ $199 MSRP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but no Video zoom - Get the 300 HS, April 5, 2011
The product description for the Canon 100 HS and the 300 HS are very similar and it appears to be mostly just the wide angle and zoom. I compared the two cameras in the store and preferred the look and feel of the grey 100 HS. Only when I was testing the camera did I realize that the 100 HS does not allow you to zoom while shooting video. Another missing feature of the 100 HS is the smart auto scene detection is not active when shooting video. If you don't care about video, save $50 on the 100 HS otherwise get the 300 HS. I exchanged mine and love the 300 HS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a keeper, March 19, 2011
I normally use a Nikon D50 which takes great photos, Im no professional but really enjoy taking pictures of my toddler. Well he broke my Nikon and I sent to see if it could be fixed but wanted to point and shoot because they come in really handy! I reviewed what felt like a million cameras, I touched them and felt them and shot pictures with them and hated every single one! I hadnt seen this one online (cause there werent any reviews) but I went to Shutterbug and they had it, I tried it out and loved it! I've had it for a few weeks and I use it everyday! Pictures always turn out amazing! Our house kinda has crappy lighting and its a major problem with pictures, this camera takes the best pictures by far! (not super grainy looking like others) I also wanted to camera that shoots video. I dont use it to shoot professional quality video but Im impressed! Alot better then my last point and shoot. Also my video does autofocus on video mode, so the other viewer might have had a faulty one cause mine does great. I wasnt looking to spend $200 but I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Pros:
powers on so quick
Picture quality
Picture speed (amazing)
low light pictures
video!

Cons:
....nada

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon ELPH 100 HS - good everyday camera, July 8, 2011
P. Schmidt (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
NOTE: see update at end or review

I have a bunch of digital cameras, from older-and-low-resolution-but-still-useful to newer and fancy. Most but not all have been from Canon, since in my evaluations they have the best all around combination of quality company, support, features, build quality, price, user interface, etc. In the middle of my has been my trusty Canon PowerShot A510, a camera I bought years ago for the sole purpose of quickly shooting images from projected slides (a project to create a quick catalog of slides I had stored in carousels). But over the years the old A510 has been starting to get a bit long in the tooth, although it still takes good everyday pictures and remains reliable enough.

I decided it was time to replace the A510 because I need to manually fiddle with the automatic lens cover mechanism, almost every time I turn the camera on, to get it to open fully.

I did not want to sped a lot of money, but I wanted something with a similar level of utility to the A510. After a lot of evaluating, I settled on the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS. Like the A510, it has similar optics, and the zoom is also an optical 4X. The size in the hand is almost identical, although the new one is about half as thick.

One thing I always thought Canon did very well with their digital cameras is the user interface. And that interface was pretty consistent across their lineup, so that most functions were done the same way on all my Canons, using the same or at least very similar buttons and controls. The new ELPH 100 dispenses with the older tradition, and does some things differently.

On the older system there was a thumb operated knob on top for selecting AUTO plus several common modes such as Portrait, Landscape, Night, Sports/Action, Panorama, and a few variations of Manual mode. The new system replaces the knob with a two position selector on top which is essentially AUTO and ALL ELSE. When in AUTO, the camera evaluates the composition of your picture and decides which mode to use automatically. When in ALL ELSE, the LCD screen presents those other modes for your manual selection using the Up/Down/Left/Right navigation control on the back of the camera. This is slightly more difficult than using the knob, but not too much more so.

An improvement over the older system is that the Movie button is a separate control, so you can start shooting your movie immediately by pressing the button, instead of needing to turn the knob of navigate through a menu. Unlike some of the bigger Canon cameras, the ELPH 100 does not allow simultaneous movie and still photo shooting. But if you are shooting a movie and press the shutter button twice, the first press cancels the movie and the second press takes the still photo. You could then press the movie button again and resume shooting the movie with only a couple seconds lost. Also, the ELPH 100 does not allow changes to exposure after the move shoot has started, although it does allow zoom and auto focus changes during the shoot.

In AUTO, the ELPH 100 automatically goes into macro mode when you get close to an object. In ALL ELSE, you can select several options in this regard.

The ELPH 100 uses the red/orange lamp on the front as a surrogate flash bulb for red-eye reduction, as opposed to firing an early flash to close down the subject person's pupils. The lamp is very bright in this case, but at other times is is less bright for other indications such as timer mode count down.

The ELPH has several combinations of photo quality/resolution, and allows you to select between four movie quality settings; two are widescreen HD, and two are stand aspect ratio video. The various ALL ELSE modes that apply to still photos can also be applied to movies.

As will all Canons, the still photo trigger control (shutter release) is both a button AND a rotating, spring return to center zoom control. Using the zoom while in picture taking mode will zoom optically first, then will adjust digital zoom if held for a longer time. Using the zoom while in picture viewing (playback) mode will allow close inspection of pictures you already took (use the navigation control pad to pan around inside the zoomed in view), and will also turn the LCD viewfinder into a photo gallery of taken pictures and movies, allowing for quickly jumping around in your collection.

Another departure from some older models is that there is no longer a clear-cut selector switch for choosing picture taking mode versus picture viewing mode. Instead, there is a button that puts the camera into viewing mode, and pressing the shutter release trigger button puts it back into picture taking mode.

The ELPH 100 comes with a video cable that has both HDMI and standard PCD audio and composite video connectors for connecting to your TV. It also comes with a USB cable, although the camera manual does not indicate that the battery can be charged via USB; it only mentions charging by way of the included AC wall charger that the battery fits into (i.e. you must remove the battery from the camera).

The ELPH 100 takes standard SD memory cards as well as SDHC and SDXC and MultiMedia cards, MMC-Plus cards, and Eye-Fi cards (the latter is not guaranteed to work). NOTE: the ELPH 100 does NOT come with a memory card, and you cannot use the camera without the card. In the old days, digital cameras came with a small memory cord just so you could at least play around with it before buying a larger card, but this is no longer true. The camera is often bundled with a memory card by the retailer, just keep your eyes open when buying.

A big departure from the older A510 and its relatives is the use of a proprietary rechargeable battery as opposed to standard AA batteries. I really liked being able to travel with a couple sets of AA's and a wall charger, and be able to use those charged batteries in any of the cameras I had according to need. With the new camera I will be locked into the special battery. It is easy to get this camera bundled (by Amazon and by stores) with a second battery, so at least I can have a charged spare on hand. The newer batteries DO allow for a thinner and lighter weight camera, and the Lithium-Ion technology charges very quickly and lasts a long time.

I will not go into specifics of 'how good are the pictures'. The pictures are very good, and you can make them even better by going into manual mode(s). At the price range of the ELPH 100, the photo quality is at least competitive with other brands and models.

UPDATE: (July 2012)
After using this camera for a longer period, I have more observations:
- The camera has a slick, low friction surface. It also has no bumps or other protruding things to help you get a grip on it. Trying to shoot one-handed, I have dropped the camera many times. It really needs to be held two-handed to avoid drops.
- While the camera has not taken any out-of-focus still photos that I can recall, it HAS taken many out-of-focus videos. They are not greatly out of focus, not enough so that you can tell there is a problem in the viewfinder LCD screen, just out of focus enough that you swear loudly when viewing them later at home. I find it useful to, while keeping composition unchanged, to half-press the trigger button before pressing the video start button. I think this is a flaw in the design of the camera.
- Needing to go into two menu layers deep to select all of the non-auto shooting modes is a real pain. I wish Canon would go back to a thumb wheel for selecting these modes.
- While there is a tiny speaker on the camera for playing back audio from videos you shoot, the volume is so soft that it is hard to hear anything. My other Canon cameras that are capable of shooting videos had much better speaker volume. I don't see any place in the menus to change the speaker volume.
-Beware of batteries from other companies besides Canon. I have tried some, and even with the same ratings, they seem to actually last for much less time than the Canon one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I wanted and more, August 8, 2011
This camera is exactly what I was looking for. I had previously had an older model (by a year or two) and was pleased with it, and hoped that nothing significant was changed that would decrease the quality. Well I was really pleased when this came in the mail. The new features of Super Slow Motion, and Recording in full 1080p are absolutely incredible.
Other modes of shooting include
Auto- This mode is just what it says, and it has some pretty great versatility

Program- In this mode you can choose what colors you want to emphasize, as well as what lighting you're using, or continuous shutter mode

Movie digest-Takes a clip with each shot to make a day's summary(I've never really used it, this is just the description that the camera gives)

Portrait- Good for people shots

Kids and pets- Good for faster moving objects

Smart Shutter- Okay this one is way freakin' cool. The camera apparently "knows" when you're smiling, and in this mode it'll just take pictures on it's own if it sees anyone smiling. It's half freaky, half freakin' awesome

High Speed Burst- This is for those moments when you only have a moment, and you want to catch someone in the air, or something else really crazy like that, where there isn't much time. Basically you hold down the button, and it keeps taking pictures in ultra quick succession. I've used it a bunch to get those sweet mid-air shots.

Best image selection- This mode takes three pictures at once, and chooses the "best quality one" I'm not sure how it does that, but it does.

handheld night scene- I haven't used this, but it's kinda self descriptive

lowlight- It cuts back on MP, and gets a good clear shot. This is actually one of the fortes of Cannon Cameras is great photos in low light. I can attest.

Fish-eye effect- I guess if you're a skater it's cool right? It's also adjustable so that all of the shots don't look the same.

miniature effect- This one was totally new to me, and rather fun. Basically it makes anything you take a picture of look like a tiny toy, or just plain tiny. It was waaay to much fun to use.

Toy camera effect- It darkens the edges to "Create a distinctive feel" LOL.

monochrome- Cool word for black and white

Super vivid- Just that

poster effect- It gives photos that "poster effect" I'm not sure how to relate this. You'll have to find out when you pick up the camera. It does look cool though.

Color Accent- It gives you the ability to highlight one color, and the rest of the photo is in black and white. This is possibly my favorite mode

Color Swap- you select two colors, and one color is replaced by the other. This mode can get kinda trippy sometimes, but it pretty entertaining. I'll also add that when you're selecting a color, you're actually choosing the color out of the real world, so there isn't a stupid menu you have to choose from or something. You choose what's actually there.

Beach-Pictures with lotsa sunlight

underwater- I haven't tried this one, mostly because... I don't want to mess up my camera. You can get an underwater case for this model. There are actually two different types. One is 50ish, and another is actually the very price of the camera to begin with... a little too much for me, but apparently great for scuba diving...

Foliage- Get those green shots

snow-Totally useless in Texas where I'm at, but Pretty good when I was in Russia

Fireworks- It really works the best for fireworks. Go figure.

Long Shutter- This is for night stuff where you want the shutter to take in more light.

Stitch Assist- This is supposed to help with the creating of panorama shots, but it doesn't actually mend them together, so I found it a little useless. You can also start from either side

Whew... That was a long list. I must mention that you can take video from EVERY MODE. This is ultra cool in monochrome, color accent, or color swap.

Basically take my advice. Buy the Camera. I did loads of research myself (which of course I encourage you to do), and if you want super photos, but perhaps aren't a photographer, then go for this. If you are a photographer then I would say that it handles esp. well. Go for it!

Also I'm updating this review, because my Camera lens got jammed. So I went and shipped it to the cannon repair center, and I had a brand new one in 4 days flat. I had heard of it taking upwards of 2 weeks. Not so with me. Also when I sent it back to be repaired I took the battery, and sd card out. When they shipped a new one, it came with a brand new battery. Talk about awesome. The customer service is Amazing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Small Size, Low Noise But Soft Photos, No Digital Zoom in 3:2, June 17, 2011
I have the Canon PowerShot A80, A620, and SD800 IS. The photos from the SD800 IS are not as clean as the photos of the older A-model Canons with slightly larger sensors and lower megapixels, but the photos are reasonably sharp and the SD800 IS is more compact than my older A models for everyday carry. However, small cameras with small flashes with limited flash range would benefit from better low-light-higher-ISO capabilities -- my SD800 IS takes photos at ISO 1600 that look quite grainy or noisy. So I decided to check out the Canon HS models for the low-light-high-ISO capabilities. I wanted an HS model that was smaller than my SD800 and I did not want to pay too much for a camera that I was not completely sure about, so I put the cheapest ELPH 100 HS model in my Amazon.com cart. When the price dropped by $20 and Super Saver Shipping was offered, I ordered the 100 HS in April and have been carrying the camera as my everyday camera and using it for nine weeks.

The 100 HS is lighter and much thinner than my SD800, although it is actually a little longer. The screen is much bigger and takes up most of the back of the camera -- it is great for reviewing photos. But the control wheel is smaller and is a little trickier to use -- I kept pressing the wrong way and needed additional attempts to get things changed. With fewer external controls on the back than the SD800, the 100 HS required more use of the menus. The smaller size of the 100 HS is an important attraction for me, but it comes with some disadvantages -- there is little to grab onto, so I use the wrist strap to help in avoiding drops.

In low light, the higher ISO capabilities of the 100 HS have been impressive. The photos look really less grainy or noisy and the colors have looked pretty good. However, zooming in on the photos reveal soft images and lack of detail, so the noise reduction results in loss of sharpness. Photos taken with the flash within the limited flash range and lower ISO are noticeably sharper than the photos taken without the flash and higher ISO. Although I used to see reviews that said that ELPH cameras produced photos that were very sharp, the reviews on the 100 HS indicate that its resolution is a bit low and is average at best, not sharp, so the high ISO noise reduction appears to be only part of the reason why the photos look so soft. My SD800 IS, which is not the sharpest camera out there, produces sharper looking photos than the 100 HS.

When I decided to use the 100 HS's flash more from within the flash's range in order to get sharper photos, I encountered another problem -- the flash photos showed a color cast and were less pleasing than the photos taken without the flash. This was surprising to me, because I have not gotten this result with any of my other Canon cameras -- so I had to do some color correction with Adobe Photoshop Elements. After getting that screwy flash color result, I compared the colors of photos taken under different lighting conditions taken with the 100 HS and the SD800. The SD800 produced photos with more accurate colors than the 100 HS. However, the difference is only noticeable if you compare the photos taken with the 100 HS against photos taken of the same objects with other cameras or if you compare the photos with the original objects photographed, so the 100 HS's colors may be satisfactory to you, especially if you use the "Vivid" or other color setting.

Because I usually print photos in the 4X6-inch size, I set the aspect ratio at 3:2 instead of 4:3. When I changed the aspect ratio, I lost the digital zoom. I learned from Canon that the digital zoom works only in the 4:3 aspect ratio. As others have already pointed out, the optical zoom of the 100 HS is not available for video, so any zooming has to be with the digital zoom. If you set the 100 HS for the aspect ratio 3:2 or 16:9 and you plan to zoom during a video with the digital zoom, you should set the aspect ratio to 4:3 before starting the video.

After reading more comments and reviews, I concluded that there is a price paid for the compactness and low-light capabilities of this camera. Other cameras that are a bit bigger may be better suited for those who are looking for a primary camera. For family and office events, I have my other Canons and my Nikon D90 SLR to use, so I do not have to rely only on the ELPH 100 HS. If a compact Canon ELPH is nevertheless desired, I would suggest that a 300 HS for about $50 more should be considered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Camera, March 17, 2011
Canon Elph 100 HS Pros and Cons

Pros

- Good looking and small

- Nice large 3.0 inch LCD screen

- Very good photo quality! When using this camera, I suggest you keep in auto mode. Its a really good auto mode unlike other auto modes on other digital cameras. You will always get a sharp shot with less grain. The HS system really helps.

- Very good 1080p for a small camera.

- Cool shooting features. Toy camera, Poster effect etc

Cons

- On Amazon its states that the camera can "optically zoom while shooting video". Not true. Its digital zoom which was a HUGE disappointment for me. If you like zooming a lot, I wouldn't recommend this camera. If you like zooming in optically during video, check out the Elph 300 and Elph 500 HS.

- NO autofocus during MOVIE mode. This was another HUGE disappointment for me. I do a lot of close up shots during video and I can't do that. I called Canon and asked them if the camera autofocus's and they said yes it does. They told me to reset the camera and I did and still no autofocusing. I honestly think the camera doesn't autofocus at all during video. You can set it to macro mode, but I personally like autofocusing better. If you like autofocusing during video, check out the Elph 300 and Elph 500 HS

Conclusion

I do like this camera a lot. It takes great still images and has some cool features. BUT I REALLY REALLY like zooming in optically and having autofocus during video. So I think I may return it to the store and buy the other Elph 300 HS or some other camera. I don't know :(. If you don't mind not having autofocusing during video and have digital zoom during video then this camera is just for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with the Canon ELPH 100 HS (Grey)!, May 30, 2011
The Canon ELPH 100 HS is beautiful, and the Smart Auto feature takes great, no-stress photos for the user who has little or no experience with camera equipment.

Before buying the Canon ELPH 100, I read reviews and did a lot of research online to find a point-and-shoot camera that I would enjoy within the under-$200 price range. There are a lot of good products from which to choose.

I next went to Best Buy, Office Depot, and Sears to hold different point-and-shoot cameras made by the major producers: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, etc. For me, these visits to different retailers is an important part of the process of buying a point-and-shoot digital camera for the first time.

Another important step is to learn whether or not the camera's software is compatible with your desktop computer. Because my computer is old (2006), I had to research compatibility with the different cameras that I liked. You can find the information at the product websites.

Canon has a very user-friendly website that influenced my purchase considerably.

I had XP Service Pack 2 on an older Dell Dimension E310. For the Canon, I had to download XP Service Pack 3.

I ordered the camera from Amazon.com. From the moment I opened the box of the Canon ELPH 100 HS, I liked everything that I saw. The instructions are clear and organized well.

Finally, I love the pictures that I am taking. No, they are not the same quality as those taken by friends and family members who own thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment. However, these photos are beautiful and fun to take.

I am practicing now so that I will be ready to take photos at baby showers and graduations in the next couple of weeks.

Is it easy to learn how to use the Canon ELPH 100 HS? It is VERY easy to learn how to use Smart AUTO. The sliding Smart AUTO button is on the top of the camera: you slide the latch to Smart AUTO, and you are finished. The camera "decides" whether or not to activate flash and also determines other settings.

To learn to use all of the optional features (P mode) is fun but not essential to photographing great photos right away.

Another reason that I bought the Canon ELPH 100 is that it is considered to be among the best in its price range -- and possibly THE BEST -- in low-light conditions. The only time the colors seemed to be distorted somewhat was when I took photos of pets sitting in a semi-darkened room while they were directly under the strong light of a table lamp. I found that the bright light from the lamp washed over all objects close to the lamp; the objects outside of the lamplight were fainter in color. Since then, I've taken the precaution of composing photos more carefully so that I am not creating a spotlight effect.

I read that the ELPH 300 could be a better choice if you plan to use the video features a lot. For me, the video features on the ELPH 100 are fine.

While in Playback (viewing photos that I have taken), I am learning how to use the displayed menus to select options such as Slideshow and Erase -- so far, so good. While not as easy as Smart Auto, the menus are fairly intuitive.

I have been very pleased. The sheen of the dog's coat, the warm expression in her eyes, and the mysterious, bold gaze of the cat -- all captured beautifully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good point and shoot camera!, May 2, 2011
I did a little bit of research before buying this camera. I chose this one over the sony cybershot and the panasonic lumix because of the canon brandname and the resolution. It takes really beautiful crisp pictures and adjusts to the light conditions around you. I think it the best point and shoot out there in its class!

Rate and Discover Movies