1,090 Reviews

1,859 of 1,880 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful compact camera with hd video
I'm a DSLR photographer who shoots professionally and has managed a camera store in the past. I wanted something I can take with me everywhere but still produces good quality shots. I also wanted a camera that could shoot good looking videos. I researched several models and after much deliberation decided on the Canon 300 HS. I'm very happy I did.

Image...
Published on March 19, 2011 by JJG

3.0 out of 5 stars Video shaking zooming in at around 3.8x and 4.8x
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:53 Mins
I liked this camera very much especially the low light photo quality and 24mm ultra wide-angel lens until I received my Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb memory card and started to play with the video functions of the camera. I found that when I was zooming in from 1x, the video was very smooth until it hited around 3.8x, it was shaking twice, and when I...
Published on April 19, 2011 by T. Wang

4.0 out of 5 stars Why to get the silver one instead of the black one, July 27, 2011
Benjamin Riley (Cooperville, USA) - See all my reviews
I've always been a proponent of function over form, but this is one of the rare cases I've run into where there is such a huge difference in satisfaction with one over the other that I felt it my duty to share with fellow consumers almost immediately. Keep in mind that this review is only to help those of you out there who have already decided that the functionality of this camera satisfies you, but you are struggling with which color to get, as I was.

Long story short, I've had both a black one and a silver one in my hand over the course of the last week (black returned due to a manufacturing problem that Amazon, as always, handled in an A+ manner - I chose to replace with the silver). Now I'm the type of guy that always gets everything in black - clothes, furniture, and especially gadgets, so naturally I gravitated toward the black model. That being said, get the silver one - period. The black one does look cool, but the sandpaper texture, while providing good grip, absolutely detracts from the overall value of this camera. It makes it a pain to pull out of your pocket, picks up dirt and lint like a magnet, and just has an overall cheap feel to it. I couldn't even wipe the screen off with a microfiber cloth without it catching and nearly tearing on the housing. When I received the silver one, the first thing I thought when I opened it was, "You've got to be kidding me. How can a color change alone constitute such a vast difference in satisfaction?" The answer is because I now feel like I have a quality camera I can actually use instead of something I have to constantly worry about catching on things and wiping lint off of. Everything about the silver one blows the black out of the water; smooth finish feels very nice, looks nice, doesn't act like a lint brush, and the entire camera has a much sturdier, more solid feel to it in general. In fact, one of the first huge things I noticed was the quality of the battery door. I've owned many Canon P&S cameras over the years, and when I first saw the door to the black camera, it immediately struck me as something way more low budget than I'm accustomed to seeing with Canon cameras. When I received the silver one, instantly noticed the quality was back up to par.

One final consideration that always manifests apprehension in the back of my mind when considering black cameras is that black, as everyone knows, absorbs sunlight, while lighter colors reflect it. if you're going to use it mainly indoors or at night then no problem, but if you plan on using it the sun a lot like at the beach, on vacations, heavy daylight use in general, then it only makes sense to me that black cameras in these cases would be more prone to overheating and/or accelerated mechanical wear and tear. If it's really enough to make a significant difference in the life cycle of the product is questionable, but that's just one of those things that, unlike with phones, handheld video game systems, etc, keeps me from automatically defaulting to the black model.

In summary, great camera no matter what color you get, but for the price I just feel like the silver one gives me so much more value. I can't speak of the red one as I've not seen it, but I've heard the texture is the same as the silver, and with regards to the advantages over the black one, most of the above would still apply. Red is more of a girly color than silver though, so please keep that in mind if you're a guy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love(d) Canon, but this has broken on me twice in 6 mo!!, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera (Black) (Camera)
I am a long time Canon owner. Have owned multiple PowerShot cameras now (this is my 3rd) and also two Canon SLRs. So, obviously I like Canon products.

This camera, however, has given me so many problems that I feel compelled to share. I've also been so frustrated with Canon and the warranty process that I wonder if I should stick with Canon in the future.

I bought this camera in April of this year. In May, the lens got stuck in the extended position. I called Canon, sent the camera in, and a few weeks later they sent a new (refurbished) one. Now, the camera has broken again - exact same issue, lens stuck in the out position. They say this is rare - but given that it's happened twice, on two different cameras, I doubt that. I'm leaving for a 3 week international trip and customer service basically said that there's nothing they can do. I can send it in, wait a few weeks, and *maybe* get it fixed (only limited cases are covered under warranty apparently). If I want to take photos on my trip, I'll just have to just buy a new camera. They were also rude and insulting, suggesting it was my fault. It was definitely one of the worst customer services experiences I've had to date.

Canon does make good camera products, but given the awful warranty/customer service support, I'd definitely think twice before buying again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, powerful and easy to use, December 20, 2011
Length:: 2:16 Mins

I bought this camera for my sister, for her birthday a couple months ago, and she has been having fun with it ever since. Since she lives in the same household, I've had a chance to play with it too and thought I would do a video review here so you can have some idea of how the pictures and video look and some of the nice features. Although my sister has a Flip video camera, she really likes being able to take still photo and movies with the same camera. We were amazed at how good the videos look. The other great thing about this camera is how well it takes photos without a flash in low light setting. Several of the photos included in the video are in low light so you can see what I mean. The video of the storefronts actually looked darker in person as the sun was going down, but in the video it looks fairly bright. It's difficult to see how nice the resolution is on a video since I had to save it as a small file that would fit on the review site, but it will give you some idea. Isn't that zoom amazing for such a small camera?

If you have an optional HTC-100 HDMI cable you can view your videos directly on your HDTV. This is a great feature at parties or family gatherings where everyone can see themselves on TV right after the pictures are taken.

The image stabilization works well on the video, but when you zoom way in on an object, you do notice the shakiness as you'll see in my videos. I think most cameras amplify any movements when you try to zoom. (I should have used a tripod). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video and I hope it helps you to make a decision about the camera. Thanks for watching.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well then kaput after 7 months!, November 4, 2011
The camera is small and light, took bright and sharp pictures, had decent battery life and was an overall joy to have... until we took it with us on our recent trip. It was fine on the first day and, in the middle of taking a series of pictures on day 2 (and turning the camera off and on in between), the dreaded LENS ERROR appeared. The lens got stuck/would not move and the lcd would only show the lens error message. The camera was not dropped and is virtually useless. Would have been a complete disaster had we not brought a second camera with us. Great camera, but definitely an unacceptable lifespan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Point and Shoot, March 14, 2011
This is a point and shoot class camera, if you understand that going in, you are going to be more than impressed with it. I'm going from an SD630 and hands down, this beats it. I even had an SX210IS and these images are on par with it, if not better. I had to return my SX210IS as it had issues with dust on the image sensor and I've been waiting for a new P&S class to come out. I bit the bullet on this, well, the black version Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS 12 MP CMOS Digital Camera with Full 1080p HD Video (Black) and what can I say - I am happy!

300HS vs 500HS:
There is a 500HS version of the camera, which is approx $50 more. To this point, the only differences I can tell are the LCD on the back as well as aperture priority and shutter priority, while the 300hs does not. The touch screen on the 500hs can also be used to focus on a particular subject. The 500hs also has a wider aperture at 2.0, the 300hs has 2.7.

Form Factor/Display:
Small. Awesome. There is a texture on the camera, I really like this as it seems like it will help if you hands are wet (sweat, snow, etc). Easy to operate one hand and if using both hands, flash isn't in a horrible place. Display is very bright and button seem intuitive as with other Canon cameras. Battery and SD are on the bottom door, USB and HDMI are in a covered side port. Comes with a wrist strap if you desire a little extra security.

Boot Time/Software:
Camera is ready to take photos very fast. From the time you press the button, it's pretty much set to catch the action. Time between photos wasn't terrible (about 1.5 seconds) and if you need it, there is continuous shot mode. Had no problem with the Canon software on Windows 7. I've used the Canon Photo Window import for a while, does a good job of getting photos off the camera without duplicates. I use Picasa to then manage my photo library (I skip the Zoom Browser, but it's really not bad if you want to use it, I'm just a slave to Google/gmail)

Computer Connectivity:
I didn't find this anywhere in the specs, so if you're looking, the camera uses mini-USB, similar to all Canon's that have come out over the last few years.

Optical Zoom:
You're going to be impressed with the form factor of this camera and it's 5x OPTICAL zoom. I immediately disabled digital zoom as 12.1MP + 5x Optical will get you very close to the action. You're better off digitally enhancing the photos later on.

Battery + Memory Card:
This uses the NBL-4 (again, I found confusion on this and accessories) - so if you have some of those laying around keep them as they'll work just fine in this camera. This is nice as my SD630 uses the NBL-4 so now I have 2 chargers + 3 batteries. It took my 32GB SDHC without any issues and holds thousands of images. Images have tended to be between 2 and 3mb on the highest settings.

Image Quality:
Look, I'm no photo fanatic, I don't expect the people buying this camera are. I am looking for solid images and this camera delivers. There are a ton a feature you can delve into and I'm sure they are good. It has manual mode, so if you fancy that, you can go down that path. But I'm the type of person that knows when something looks good, OK or great. This camera consistently delivers GREAT photos. I'm happy with the low light and images aren't blurry or grainy (within reasonable expectations).

Video:
FINALLY! Optical zoom on a Canon during video! 1080p brings this camera up to par with others in its class and it does a decent job. I didn't notice any major noise when zooming in and out while recording video. I know this is the excuse Canon has used in the past as to why they never had this feature. It shoots nice clips for those quick moments. This will NOT replace a true DV cam, but hey, for a few minute clips here and there, you will simply not be dissapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Point And Shoot Camera, June 11, 2011
Amazon Customer (Van Nuys, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Based partly on the reviews here, I bought the Elph 300HS Silver, and played with it for several hours, initially shooting about 150 stills and about 10 minutes of video. I settled on the Elph 300HS because I wanted a reliable and solid point and shoot camera, where the Auto feature would do all the work. I admit I'm no photography pro, and I certainly don't have the time, patience, or inclination to fiddle with all the interminable and esoteric photographic settings, nor did I want a bulky camera to lug around.

The video looks very good, especially on a hi-def monitor but tends to blur very slightly when zooming in too fast. And I have to admit that having a zoom feature on hi-def video was a strong selling point for me. The tiny stereo microphone works fine, and like all other similar cameras, picks up the ubiquitous wind sounds. You should also be aware that these hi-def videos take up a lot more file space on your SD cards than "mere" DVD quality.

I compared one or two pics on the Elph to the same shots taken at the same time on my older Canon Powershot A710IS (12 vs. 7 megapixels) and there was a slight discernable increase in the quality of the still shots. I had hoped that the Elph photos would be much sharper and clearer because of the newer technology and the additional 5 megapixels, but the increase in quality, while noticeable, was minimal. In all fairness, however, I did not print the photos, I only viewed them on my hi-def monitor. With the price of ink cartridges these days, I'm very selective about printing color photos on my printer, but I am certain that the Elph photos, if printed, would look much better than those of my older camera.

As claimed, the Elph does indeed take great shots in lower light, but the tradeoff for this is that the resulting photos seem to be a little softer than the shots taken in normal light.

Another slight disappointment, as pointed out in another review, is that the videos are saved as .mov files rather than .avi or .wmv files. Windows Movie Player will play them, but only by expanding the file types to "any file". Fortunately, there are several programs out there which will convert these .mov files. The one I use, Prism Video File Converter, can convert these .mov files to .wmv files (among others), and the .mov file sizes are reduced by an astonishing factor of one fifth, without a noticeable decrease in quality. If you plan to edit or combine your Elph videos by using Windows Movie Maker, it will happily handle .wmv files, but not .mov files.

The really surprising thing about the Elph is its very tiny size, a worthy example of the art and science of miniaturization. Yet, it still feels quite heavy in the hand, no doubt due to all the electronic components packed into its tiny but solid metal frame which provide all its many features. Bottom line? It ain't perfect, but it's one hell of a sweet point and shoot camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars shutter lens broke, July 23, 2011
the shutter lens would not open/close after a week, I had to send it back. Amazon was very good about return.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad little camera but some things need improving, April 2, 2011
I bought this to replace my old A590IS. I also have a good canon HD video camera and a Nikon D40 dslr. I'm going to Florida in a week and wanted a great point and shoot that could do it all. I was going to only use the 300 HS and keep my video camera and DSLR at home. I did a lot of research and bought the ELPH 300 HS. I'm impressed with the features and the speed it can take photos. However I'm disappointed at the size of the videos, audio and very short battery life.
I set the camera to 720P and recorded myself playing guitar for 10 minutes. I then loaded it onto my computer and noticed it took up 1.62GB of space. I compared this to a 10 minute 1080 video from my canon HD video camera and that only took up 800mb. There is no excuse why the 300 HS has to take up twice as much space on a ten minute video. For example the new flip video HD will record 2 Hours of HD video on only 8GB. If you recorded 2 hours on the 300HS at 720P (not even the highest setting) your looking at about 20GBs. Also there should not be a time limit of ten minutes for the videos. It should let you continue recording until the memory card is full (I have a 32GB card in the camera). On the plus side the video looks great, the camera focuses great and I like the slow zoom when recording.
Now the thing that bothers me more then the size of the video is the static sound. It actually picks up sound very good with no distortions but there is what I can only describe as a water fall sound in the background during my videos (and there was no other sounds in the room that would cause this). I can not use this camera to record my guitar lessons or demos seeing as the water fall sound just kills it.
I also only got about 150 pictures and just a few videos before the battery went dead. I do have another one I keep with me but this seems a little fast. If canon could fix the static/waterfall sound during recording, bring down the file size of the videos and kick up the battyer life a little this would be a perfect little camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Camera but lacking in few areas, April 15, 2011
I would prob lean more towards 3.5 stars but wasnt an option
I was looking to replace my Canon SD870 after 3 years of solid use. Really liked the SD870 for the manual controls, quality of low light pics, ISO good thru 800, manual controls and the sound on video (especially for concerts, sound is not distorted).

So when I saw the ELPH 300HS was promising quality low light pics, HD video and the size (very small), not to mention the 5x Optical Zoom (who needs digital zoom), I thought now was a good time to buy next camera. Size and weight of camera are great, dont even know its in my pocket. Also the look and texture are great. The low light pics using one of Canon pre-set settings like Night Scene are pretty decent (Noise very limited). The HD video chews up memory and sound is very distorted. After couple uses I already lowered the Video Quality from 1920x1080, to 1280x720 or 640x480 just to save room on memory card. Believe 8gb of memory using 1920x1280 is about 15-20 min of video. I wont be using the video much anyway for what I would normal be using it for (Videos at clubs) cause sound is just unusable. For videoing Niece/Nephew/Family events etc sound is fine. Lastly battery life, i dont think the battery on my 870 ever died on me, unlike here where battery died on me twice in 1 w/e. I understand its a thiner camera so battery thiner, but should be a little better.

Pros:
Great Looking Camera (if that matters)
Lite weight
Very thin
Images come out very nice (but sometimes more than 1 take cause 1st was blurry)
Low Light Images
Price

Cons:
Battery Life (battery buy an extra battery)
HD video sound (cant handle any bass)
HD Video eats too much memory (if going out for a day at min have 8gb)
Not as many manual controls as my 870 (although I did find exposure setting)

If you take as many pics as I do in low light then this is a good camera for you. If you take majority of your pics is proper lighting or dont mind using flash then you can probably get a cheaper camera.

1.0 out of 5 stars Small and takes great pictures but doesn't last more than a week, September 19, 2011
I had to exchange the camera twice and finally gave up and just returned it. Both times I had it, it broke within a week of using it. I love Canon cameras and was really disappointed with the quality of this one. The first time, the screen was black, and the second time, the lens got stuck in the out position and wouldn't take pictures. I definitely wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone.

Rate and Discover Movies