Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon PowerShot ELPH140 IS Digital Camera (Red)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Red|Change

on August 2, 2014
I purchased the PowerShot ELPH 140 IS for my wife, to replace a similar but lost Canon SD 1200 IS that was several years old and never had any problems. This camera seems superior; it takes sharp pictures and has a better zoom. As with many Amazon purchases, the reviews help make the decision and I went this model to have the stabilization. We do not use any of the fancy features, just put it on Auto and it takes nice pictures. I wanted a good, easy to use, reasonably priced, small, point & shoot and this meets that need. Was concerned that maybe this was a light weight plastic case that would feel too light and cheap, but it is metal, has a nice heft (for it's size) and looks and feels like good quality. You have to separately order a memory card. I got extra points from my wife for this surprise purchase.

I spent some time finding the right case, so I will mention here that I got the Case Logic DCB-302 case, a very nice case and the camera fits very well. It is a nice size with a separate pocket for accessories, but if you want a really small case, it may be a little big. The accessory pocket will hold a flip phone.
Why? The Elph 140 has optical image stabilization, the Elph 135, around $10 cheaper, does not, so it will be hard to get a non-blurry shot with the Elph 135.

I purchased this camera locally only because I had a gift card I had to use. This was a present for a young relative of mine, but I took it for a "test drive" prior to gifting to make sure it worked right.

Wow, I can't believe how cheap Canon has become in the past 1-2 years. What is in the box? You get the camera, battery, battery charger and wrist strap; that's all. They are good enough to give you a genuine battery charger so you don't have to charge the battery inside the camera. That I like. But they don't provide a USB cable, so you can't connect the camera to your PC to download photos. Granted most computers now have the card readers built in, but if yours doesn't, you will need to buy a card reader. At least they don't cost much.

No instruction manual, you have to download it online. All you get with the camera is a small leaflet to get started.

They also don't provide a software CD. I used to love Canon's Zoom Browser software. Now you have to download it from their web site and they won't give it to you unless you provide them with the camera's serial number (which I understand why they need a serial number, but it's another way of being cheap, not providing the CD).

You will also need an SDHC card. I suggest Class 10 if you're making videos.

The LCD screen is smaller than most other cameras, only 2.7" diagonal, and somewhat hard to see in bright sunlight.

Some people just like the Canon name. That's why I say if you're dead-set on a Canon and you are looking for a basic no-frills camera, this is one. It's cheap enough you can toss it in a bag and if it gets broken, you're not out a lot of money. You won't get DSLR quality by any means. This isn't good in low light, the photos are grainy.

Now that my complaints are over, here's what I like:

► Easy to use, with crisp, bright true-to-life colors (outdoors or indoors with flash-----otherwise you will get MANY grainy non-sharp photos).
► Battery life is pretty good.
► Small, but the buttons are easy to push without accidentally pushing the wrong one.
► Zoom motor sounds strong.
► Good 720p video.
► Faster response time at capturing fast-moving pets and kids than previous cheap Canon models.

Personally, I would spend more and get something else.

SDHC Card: Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS8GSDHC10E)
Card Reader/Adapter: Transcend Information USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K)
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2016
I've had this camera for nearly 2 years now. And after that time, I can only give it a mixed review.

So on this camera, you basically have a small shirt pocket camera with an Auto mode, and something called Live mode which allows you to pick other settings. Naturally, most people just gravitate to the Auto mode since manipulating the Live Mode settings is not really intuitive via the push button camera controls. These other settings really needed a dial to access vs. push buttons and scrolling.

Unfortunately, Auto takes fairly lackluster photos. The colors seem muted. And in auto mode, it shows you a picture of what camera mode is being utilized. All too often in my case, it seemed to pick the wrong mode. For instance, shooting a static picture of some bushes yet it wanted to pick object in motion mode. That kind of thing.

In Live mode, it seems to do better, which is also fairly automatic if you let it be. The specific scene modes you can choose from range anywhere from useful to useless. Toy Camera or Minature modes? I don't see why anyone would want to use those modes. On the other hand low light, portrait, snow, vivid and firework modes all seem quite useful.

What I found useful was just staying on Live mode and adjusting the image scales to have my pictures be a little bit more vivid, but not full on super vivid.

It is quick to fire up and reasonably quick to take a second and 3rd picture. Image stabilization seems to be OK, not great, but OK.

As for video, I think the camera actually did quite a nice job with that. I found the HD mode to turn out nice videos.

Bottom line, would I purchase this camera again? No. It was OK, but there were many other cameras that were likely better and in the same price range when I purchased this one in 2014.
on April 9, 2015
Bummed. Lens locked up while on a trip to India. No grains of sand or being dropped -- it just failed and I had to spend the rest of my trip shooting pictures from my phone. I think it is a discontinued item from Canon, and this may be why.
on April 2, 2014
I purchased two of these, one for my brother and one for myself for an upcoming trip that we are going on. Some of the sites we are seeing are low light and we are unable to use flash. A friend recommended this camera after I seen pictures she took of low light situations. So far it works great. I can't wait to see that it does while on vacation.
on March 13, 2015
This is a nice camera and I'm glad I chose it, as opposed to the Canon Powershot ELPH 135. The ELPH 140 features image stabilization, which the 135 does not. I like the large LED screen and the ease of use of the buttons. The "Help" screen is always available and the tips are written very clearly. This portable camera is easy to put in a pocket. It's really fun to use and the picture quality is excellent! It's a smart choice.
on November 26, 2015
I love how small this camera is- it's great because it fit in my travel purse and was something that I was able to take with me internationally and not have any issues. The batter life lasted pretty long as well, (about 5ish days- a week) and didn't take too long to charge either. The light adjustment features are pretty good, and my travel photos were much nicer than I anticipated. Great for a no hassle camera for travel.
on April 18, 2015
Good camera with outstanding resolution. Video feature even produces decent video. The only real issue is that sometimes it does not deal well with motion. Also, it has limited ability to take good pictures at night. The only other real issue is that the camera is extremely small and requires agile hands to hold and shoot.
on January 22, 2015
Love the size of it, it fits right in the pocket so it is easy to carry. There was a problem seeing what you are shooting when the sun was very bright. Otherwise the photos were good.
on June 8, 2014
This camera is packed with a lot of features for the money. the main reason that i bought it was for the image stabilization.
I am upgrading from a 3 meg Sony which is great camera but if i moved it , the pictures were blurry, does not happen withe the Canon.