on April 18, 2012
I have owned and operated nearly a dozen different ELPH's. The specs on this camera are great, but Canon really made a mistake with the touchscreen. First of all, this screen, while dense with pixels, is not as "rich" as previous models in terms of saturation. Regarding the "touch" controls, the screen is slow to respond, and requires too many motions and movements with your fingers to accomplish what was very quick on previous "button" models. If your fingers are medium or large size, you will have great difficulty scrolling through menus. For me, it was extremely frustrating and ended up in a return. I think the move to plastic for the exterior case was a mistake. The 320HS felt cheap in comparison to the previous models which came with all metal bodies. While this camera overcomes many of the negatives of the 310HS model, I do not believe that it is an overall better option than the 300HS, which can be picked up for about half the price. If however, you expect to use the WiFi feature, then please be aware that the 300HS does not support it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2012
I have two Canon digital SLRs (10D and 30D) and I'd stopped carrying them around because they were simply too big and bulky for most situations. I've probably missed out on hundreds of great shots as a result.

I was going to get the new mirrorless Canon EOS-M because it would allow me to use my existing lenses (my favorite lens is the $700 Canon 17-40mm wide angle), but after looking at the EOS-M online and reading the reviews, I wasn't convinced that it would be pocketable or worth the high price.

After a lot of research, I finally found this Elph 320HS with the wide angle lens and checked out a lot of sample photos online. I was floored that this little camera was producing the kinds of pictures I was seeing no matter if the subject was a person, landscape, architecture, flower, etc... The color, sharpness and features impressed me so much that I had to get one.

I'm happy to say that this little camera takes photos that rival my digital SLRs.

I'm most impressed by the manual features and the amount of customization I can do to get the perfect shot. I can even crank the ISO up to 3200 and still get good results. I can set shutter speeds of 1 to 15 seconds. I'm able to use the wi-fi without any trouble and view/download my pictures to my HTC Evo phone. The 5.2 shots per second high speed burst mode is great for action shots, not to mention the 1080p movie mode.

As others have noted here, the touch screen is not very responsive to finger touch like a smartphone touch screen. It is, however, 100% responsive when you touch it with an object like a stylus or your fingernail. There is actually a plastic stylus with a little pointy tip built into the wrist strap (as noted on page 14 in the owner's manual). When you use the wrist-strap stylus or your fingernail, the touch screen works like any other and responds immediately to your input.

To accompany the camera, I also purchased the SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46),Canon 5601B001 Deluxe Soft Camera Case PSC-2070, Black and Power2000 NB-11L Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery, 3.6 volt 900mAh, for Canon Powershot ELPH 110 HS Series Cameras

The one thing I don't like is that the battery has to be removed from the camera to charge it. It is very inconvenient to have to do this. I have to do this with my other Canon cameras as well, so I'm not surprised, but it would be nice if the battery could be charged while in the camera.

This camera has so many features and so much flexibility, it will definitely accompany me everywhere I go.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2012
I received this camera today and I was very curious to find out if I can connect it to my PC over WiFi after reading one of the reviews here.
I knew that it should be possible as there is nothing which should prohibit that if the camera can connect to WiFi. I took some pictures and then tried to play around with the camera. I do not read manuals as they are lengthy and who has time! I clicked on the WiFi option on the touch screen and I saw four choices depicted by pictures. Connect to a Camera, Phone, PC/Mac and Internet. I chose PC and then it went through the process of connecting to my Wireless AP. Just like a Mac, it figured out the Authentication and Encryption methods automatically. After connecting to my home Wireless, it automatically found out that my Laptop was "ON" and started to establish a connection to it. It failed first time, I immediately knew that the issue was because of my Software Firewall. I disabled the firewall and it failed again. I checked the Windows Firewall and it was ON. I disabled that too and voila, I was able to connect and download photos to my Windows PC. Well I knew that speeds will be slower than the hard-wired connection and Canon can do nothing about it. That's how WiFi works at present. If you need faster speeds you can upgrade you AP to support 802.11n (because the camera supports it).
This is my second post on Amazon.com even though I am a regular buyer since 2002. The main reason I thought to write this post was as another user mentioned that it is not possible to copy files over WiFi. I was a bit sad when I read that(as I had made my mind to buy this one) but I still moved forward with buying the camera as I wanted to see it myself and now when I have found that I CAN copy the files over WiFi, I thought to write this post as other users/buyers are not misguided.
Regarding the camera, I find the pictures taken from my old S95 crisper than this one but then this camera is $100 cheaper than S95(which has wider aperture, better ISO and larger sensor).
I cannot write more regarding the camera as I just received it and still playing with it. Also I do not see any issue with battery compartment as well (contrary to what another buyer reviewed).
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 30, 2012
I was looking for a nice Point n shoot camera and when I found this newly released product from the Canon family I knew it's going to be a great product. Today I received it and has taken some 50 pics with it, and I must tell you it's really cool.

I should tell you that I own D60 DSLR and also has some L lens. But I wanted to have a nice Point and Shoot which I can just take it when I really don't want to carry my big D60.

- This Camera feels like a nice touch screen phone in your hand, light and sleek. And it does have many features that you get on many smartphone, like setting your colors, themes, shutter sound, switch on sound etc.

- It's built quality is much better than many other Point and shoot that I have used in the past.
- The touch screen is not really good, may be we have used so many nice smart phones with touch screen that we now expect every touch screen product to work like a iPhone. But once you get used to the behavior you would find it okay.

- I really like the fact that you can just connect this to Wi-fi and share your pics directly to Facebook or can also email. No more connecting the cable to transfer the photos.

- The screen is really nice and feels strong. It would not really need a screen protector, but I think I may get one for extra protection. But I feel it may not get scratches that easily.

The only thing that I would have liked is better manual. It wasn't easy to figure out the settings to set up your Facebook and email account on this camera.

Overall I think Canon has got another great product and would be a definite hit.

Update: 04/2/2012
I tried the HD Video with this camera and recorded few video ranging from very short to 10-15 mins. The Video quality and auto focus is really nice.

However I think with touch screen and Wi-fi the battery life is compromised. It may not last as long as with the conventional camera.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2013
We recently purchased this camera - Canon 320HS for use at work. Picture quality is as would be expected for a 16Mpx camera. Setup is straight forward as long as you follow their packaged directions, where all settings are initially accomplished by connecting via USB and running the CameraWindow software. A nice feature is the ability to change even theme settings from a desktop PC. Wifi is a bit confusing, particularly on Windows 7, and Canon does not supply much assistance. Connecting to phone and other cameras is covered well, but PC connection is not. In order to connect the Canon 320HS camera to Windows 7 you must (this is not complete step-by-step, but should get you close):

1) Click the Start button in Windows 7 then type "stream" in the search box, then select the "media streaming options" selection,
2) Select the "Turn on Media Streaming" button then either Block or Allow the client you choose and close the window,
3) VERY IMPORTANT - Click the Start button in Windows 7 and search for "Device" then select the "Devices and Printers" option - LEAVE THE WINDOW OPEN,
4) Press the Play > button on the camera,
5) Tap the on-screen Wifi button,
6) Tap the ID for your wireless network (and enter key),
7) Tap the name of your PC in the search results
8) On the Device and Printers window click the Add Device otpion at the top-left
9) Wait for the camera to appear as a selection then click and add it

Once added, the camera is available as expected in Windows 7. It is accessible to the Canon image browser software, CameraWindow, and can be browsed as a standard drive in Windows.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I REALLY wanted to like this camera. Initially I only needed to upgrade. I have two older Canon ELPH series cameras (8 mp and 10 mp) and love them both. I take a lot of photos and videos and especially wanted full HD video capability. Although I like Canon, I considered a number of other brands as well. The minute I saw that cameras were now coming out with the WiFi option I was intrigued. I already upload both photos and videos from my android phone and my android tablet directly to both Facebook and YouTube. After a week of research I settled on the Canon ELPH 320. I spent a week working with it. The touch screen works fine and the quality of both photos and videos seemed quite good. However the WiFi option was a total disappointment. I never did get it to recognize either of my two PCs despite turning off firewalls and any thing else I could think to do. Well, I figured I could live without that. It does upload directly to YouTube as advertised but I must have missed the small print on the "direct upload to Facebook" option. It uploads to Canon's cloud once you create an account. Frankly, I've always found it irritating when someone wants me to go check out their photos and sends me a link to Kodak or some other album in the cyber cloud, usually requiring me to sign up for yet another account. The Facebook icon does appear on the camera's sharing screen and it will upload photos, but it uploads to the Canon account, not Facebook. Apparently you then post to your "friends" the link and they go look at your photos there. A small bit of mis-leading advertising on Canon's part in my opinion, assuming there was nothing I overlooked. I might have been able to shine on the whole WiFi thing but I had one more complaint. The audio in the videos sounded slightly muffled to me compared to my older cameras. I turned off the wind damper option and made sure I didn't have any fingers over the microphones and took sample videos comparing the new camera audio with the old camera's. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my imagination. The audio on the ELPH 320 wasn't as good.

I could very well discover that will be the case with all the HD cameras and the stereo audio, but I hope not. I'm returning the camera and, as much as I would like the WiFi idea, I fear that technology in the camera market has just not caught up yet with the phones and the tablets, so I'll opt for a less feature rich camera and try again.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2012
I bought this baby 3.25.12 at Frys Electronics, Manhattan Beach, CA for $279 and....I think I'm in love.

As an owner of the vaunted S95, let me say the Elph 320 seems like it's going to be a lot more fun! In other words, my Elph 320 will be with me when I go out and my S95 will be on a shelf at home. Yes, the S95 has great specs... but I have a Nikon DSLR for serious manual controls and fast 1.4 lens take on the world (vs S95/S100 2.0 lens).....

I was most apprehensive about the 320's touchscreen.... I tested it in-store and immediately realized it's not as refined as the Apple touchscreen (iPhone/Touch), where you can use your finger pads. But.....all you have to do is use your freaking nails and it's fine! Tap the screen with your nail you're good to go (can't believe I just used that phrase).

Additionally, the 320's camera strap comes with a plastic 'stylus' to tap the screen for you (!)...... Why wasn't this known in the early pre-release reviews??????? Poor intelligence gathering... The manual says, "If you have difficulty operating he camera by touch, use the stylus attached to the strap." OK whatever, you can use your fingernail or the stylus, either will work fine.

Frys only had Red and Blue colors. Guess what? The so-called Red is actually Hot Pink!!!! Girls (or festive men?), you're gonna luv this. I bought the Blue and I like it! Burnt Orange would have been cool...

I'll leave a full review for someone else...

Let me just say I love this camera; it has a lot of fun features and this will be my carry along/go to P&S cam...you can't take a DSLR everywhere!!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2012
I bought this camera just before my trip to Chicago and my timing could not have been more perfect. The Art Institute does not allow flash photography and the lighting in many of the rooms was low. For many people that went with me this meant no pictures at all but this camera took pictures like there was a lighting professional following me. We went walking around the streets later and even though I was moving this camera took the pictures so fast that I did not have any burry pictures. When I got home from this 16 hour trip, my camera still had 2/3 of its battery life left. The product exceeded my expectations!
on December 13, 2012
I bought this camera for just simple fun shooting. One thing to remember is these cameras are not for professionals, they are made so that your pictures come out. You can get creative, but it really depends how much you want to learn about all it's features.

PROS: I bought the ELPH 110 first, but returned it when I found out I could get the 320 for about the same price. The camera is almost exactly the same, except the 320 has a really large display screen. If you don't like touch screens, this is not for you. But after getting used to it, I found that I kinda like the touch screen. The best part is that the mode settings are really easy to get to. Compared to my Sony and Panasonic camera, this Canon's picture quality is WINNING! Has lot's of features, really good bang for the buck.

WIDE ANGLE lens! Love this! My apartment is rather small, so the wide angle lets me photograph in tight spaces. VERY WINNING!

Feels Great. Canon cameras just feels great in my hands. This one is heaver then the 110, but that's probably because of the large glass. Comparred to my Nikon, this Canon is comfortable...and it doesn't look like I have arthritis when I hold it.

I heard some people complain about the battery life...I think it is fine. I never had it die on me while shooting yet...Plus it's rechargable...just recharge it! Bang for the buck this camera is pretty nice.

CONS: Not really a big deal (but this is where I took off 1 Star)....When you are doing video, if you zoom in and out of the scene, you will hear the lens' gear. Same problem as I had with the ELPH 110.

CONCLUSION: For the price, I am very satisfied. Hope this review helps you.
on May 9, 2012
I used to sell cameras a few years back and had always wanted a Canon because of they quality, they used to have nice heavy casing, almost a metal feeling. The casing on this unit is very cheap plastic. It looks like it's going to scratch very easy, so I have to be careful with it. The door that you open to put the battery in also seems very cheap and flimsy.

I liked the idea of having a touch screen and more importantly, wifi. The touch screen is not very good as other ratings has indicated. It's not like a cell phone touch screen, it seems slow and outdated. It's not too bad because you can use your fingernail and it works well that way. The menu is complicated and takes some getting used to. Everything is touch screen except for the review button, the picture taking button, the on/off button, zoom and switching it to auto mode, everything else is done via the touch screen, so if you're not a fan of touch screens, this is not the camera for you.

The wifi works and I can directly post my pictures to facebook. Again, it's not like transfering pictures from a cell phone, but works ok. If this is the reason you're looking at this camera, you could always buy an eye-fi card which uses wifi to transfer images to your computer, that way you can make pretty much any camera transfer photos through your wifi connection. Had I been able to try this camera before I bought it, I probably would have done this and bought a different camera.

Overall, it's a decent camera and the price wasn't extremelly bad, but it's just not the quality that I'm used to seeing from Canon. I've only had it a few hours, so as far as reliability, I'm not sure, but so far so good.