5.0 out of 5 stars A nice substitute for my digital SLR camera
I have two Canon digital SLRs (10D and 30D) and I'd stopped carrying them around because they were simply too big and bulky for most situations. I've probably missed out on hundreds of great shots as a result.

I was going to get the new mirrorless Canon EOS-M because it would allow me to use my existing lenses (my favorite lens is the $700 Canon 17-40mm wide...
Published 23 months ago by gadgetjunkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent Camera, but Touchscreen was a Bad Idea!
I have owned and operated nearly a dozen different ELPH's. The specs on this camera are great, but Canon really made a mistake with the touchscreen. First of all, this screen, while dense with pixels, is not as "rich" as previous models in terms of saturation. Regarding the "touch" controls, the screen is slow to respond, and requires too many motions and movements...
Published on April 18, 2012 by Woodrow

‹ Previous | 16 7 828 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, will check back in about a month to make sure of quality, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 320 HS 16.1 MP Wi-Fi Enabled CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens with 1080p Full HD Video and 3.2-Inch Touch Panel LCD (Red) (Electronics)
REVIEW EDIT: May 26th, 2013
I HAD TO RETURN THE CAMERA BECAUSE IT WOULD NOT HOLD A CHARGE. VERY DISAPPOINTING BUT THE RETURN WAS NOT AN ISSUE. REFUNDED ALL MY MONEY INCLUDING SHIPPING WHICH WAS NICE. NO MATTER WHAT I TRIED, EVEN BOUGHT ANOTHER BATTERY, THE CAMERA HELD A CHARGE FOR 2 HOURS AT BEST. SO KEEP A FEW BATTERIES WITH YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO BUY AND KEEP THIS MODEL.

CANNOT HOLD A CHARGE

__________________________________________

I bought this camera as my SONY would never hold a charge and I am pretty sure that is why it was on sale at Radio Shack, but off course they NEVER told me that. When I wanted to return it they refused stating it was on sale. It was an ok camera. I had an ELPH before, but when they first came out a million years ago and decided to try a newer model.

So far so good, the color is really pretty and I really like that the touchscreen works well. This is a great option. But, I just got the camera, so I will check back in about a month or so to make sure it is as good as it seems to be so far.

It has many option for you to use including a stabilizer so that your pix do not come out shaky or no focus. What I also like is that it can detect a blink and will not take the pix if you have this option turned on, which is great for family pix, everyone looks great and has their eyes open. It has good zoom capabilities and off course is 16.1MP, which does take great pictures as far as quality and even when you enlarge it does not get fuzzy. IT has an auto setting and the camera adjusts automatically for a pix, or you can do this manually. There are a lot of other options and too many to go through but you can read about them in the description.

The price was a little high since this is an older model, but for $150 I think it is a "good" buy and not a "great" buy. A "great" buy would be around $100 or at this price it should have come with a kit and a case. I hope that I can add to the description after I post this one, if you do not see another from me by the end of June, 2013 that means I could not and this makes the camera a 50/50 chance to buy.

Today is Tuesday, 04/16/2013, will check back in June and let you know how things are going with this camera. For right now I would recommend it, but try to buy it for a lower price. Also, take care, it is better to buy from AMAZON or if it is fulfilled by AMAZON because returns as a lot easier, and if it costs more it is usually offset by free standard shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!, April 11, 2013
Casey Tiner (Elk Grove, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Such a great camera. If you have a smart phone, you'll be able to use this camera's touch screen. The shutter speed rocks and I haven't had any issues with that. In my opinion, the shutter speed is my determining factor when purchasing a camera (as my last one was pitiful!). For the price, you can't get a better camera. I would definitely recommend this camera!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, compact back up camera, March 30, 2013
I have a Canon EOS DSLR, which I lug around in a backpack carry case. This doesn't work so well for spur of the moment shots, and I sometimes leave it behind because of its size. I don't have a smartphone, so unlike a lot of people, I don't have a camera at the ready at all times. Feeling like I am missing things, I decided to get myself something compact that I could carry in my purse or briefcase for those must-have shots. I also knew I must have a Canon (I started out with an AE-1 in 1984, moved to the Rebel XT, and on up).

After reading a lot of product reviews and making a comparative chart, I decided on the ELPH 300...but the Amazon merchant must have been out of stock, and sent me a ELPH 320HS, a newer model with wireless upload features, instead. There were also no instructions in the box.

Rather than send back and start over, I gave it a trial run at a daytime performance of a church Passion play, and at an evening Easter-egg coloring session. I took shots with my DSLR and the ELPH-320 and compared.

* I had some image shake/blur issues with the ELPH320 in tight zoom. Maybe I don't have the IS activated? Maybe I am used to a less-shaky camera.Because I don't have print directions and haven't consulted the online manual, I am unsure. Pretty clear shots at wide zoom. I decided to take more wide shots and crop. The crops have had a bit of noise, but not too shabby.

* The low-light feature didn't work as well as I expected in the low-light, tight zoom situations. I found that the "auto" setting took a brighter, higher light photo. I also found that the ELPH320 produced a lighter, brighter image than the EOS/DSLR indoors.

* Also had trouble with the shutter lag, but only in extremely low-light.

*Battery life is...well...short. I took 66 photos and a short video and played around with settings a bit and drained the battery. IN perspective, I would likely drain a phone if I did the same things. I may just get a second battery backup.

With all that out of the way....

* The face-focus/focus feature works wonderfully--it locates and frames the person/image you want to center on and stays with them as you re-orient your image. With the touch-screen photo option, you can choose the focal point. This allowed me to center an image on my son, while blurring out the background.

* Takes crisp, up-close photos
I took about three minutes of indoor video...and was impressed with the sharp video and audio. Since the video button is right there on screen, it is easy to start and stop.

* I am quite happy with the wide-angle. I haven't ever been able to take a wide-angle shot on my DSLR (because my day-to-day lens is a 28-105mm).

* This camera has a touch screen...and reviewers complain about its lag, BUT I think that that is because they are used to much more responsive tablet and phone screens. The directions clearly state that you should touch firmly. You cannot "tap" on this screen and expect a response.

* I tried the wireless send feature and it worked pretty well (sent to a laptop and wireless printer, but I had trouble getting to the PC. I prefer to just load into the PC because everything is backed up and I can pick and choose what I print, but I could see a definite perk to loading to a tablet or directly to a printer.

All-in-all, I am happy with this as a grab-and-go camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good camera, December 25, 2012
I like this camera so far but I haven't had a chance to really break it in. The touch screen is easier then I thought it would be to use because it comes with a stylus on the end of the wrist strap that really helps. The battery seems to last a long time. I'm not a photographer or camera expert but this camera suites my needs perfectly. I would recommend it to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wi-fi? Seriously?!, July 1, 2013
I am just amazed at the amount of stupidity that has gone into designing this camera. For starters, I thought I was buying a Wi-Fi-enabled camera to save myself from the hassle of being in front of my pc to download the pictures. Well, that's not the case. Assuming that you have been able to connect this camera to your Wi-Fi network properly (and that's a whole other story), as you take pictures, rather than being downloaded automatically, you have to do the following steps EVERY TIME:
1- Press the play bottom on the camera
2- Press the Wi-Fi icon
3- Press the PC icon
4- Select your destination device
5- Wait for the camera to search the network and find your device
6- Go to the destination PC and click on OK to start the download (assuming that you have installed the Canon CameraWindow DC software that comes with this camera)
There is a setting in the CameraWindow software to automatically start the download, but it doesn't make any differences in this process. Don't you think it's defeating the purpose of a Wi-Fi connection, if you are still required to be physically present in front of your destination PC and press a key? Can it get any more stupid?! Of course there are ways around it. You can change the program to launch when camera is connected through windows and set it for example, to download pictures to your cloud, etc, but I couldn't figure out any way to circumvent the steps 1-5 above, and keep the camera connected to the Wi-Fi when available. Compare this to any smart-phone built in the last 3-4 years which can easily be configured to share the pictures taken into your destination such as Dropbox folder, etc, without you doing anything... Just stupid!!

Here is the other bizarre issue: A battery charger is included, which is for sure a nice feature when you have more than a battery to charge, but they dropped the very simple option of letting the camera charge via usb. Yes, you always have to have the charger, remove the battery, put it into the charger, wait for it to recharge and put it back. Compared that to the ease of just carrying a small usb cable and plugging it into your laptop or usb wall charger and taking care of charging. I can only guess that they had concerns with the heat generated during recharging if the battery is kept inside the camera, or maybe they thought the usb cable cannot provide enough amps, but I have 5 other cameras that seem to handle getting recharged via usb just fine with no issues... All I can say is that it's just poor design and laziness on part of Canon to take the simplest way for their design without thinking of the customers...

Another issue is the touch screen - it's just a pain to work with. I have to tap several times for it to register a tap and it's just too difficult. I've try calibrating it to no avail... Another sign of faulty design and/or low quality components

Finally, the camera has a very cheap, plastic feel to it... I was hugely disappointed the first moment I grabbed it with the cheap feel of it. It feels more like a cheap toy than a camera. I didn't expect much for a hundred bucks and some change, but there are much better qualities in the same price range if you look around... But this camera unfortunately is a huge failure. After being a Canon customer for nearly 20 years, I'm sad to see Canon reaching this low...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera Great Quality!, February 27, 2013
I did some research for a camera with somewhat professional quality in this price range and this is what I bought and I am glad I chose this one!
Touch screen is simple not too touchy.
Can take a perfect picture in pretty much any environment even pitch black.
Pretty decent battery life.
The wifi capability and the phone app are really useful!
I definitely recommend this camera for anyone looking for great quality at a good price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 6, 2012
Received product quickly. Excellent quality. Haven't learned all this camera can do yet. However, fantastic! One down point... it takes a long time in order to take another shot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use Everyday Camera, July 22, 2014
Found this named the top inexpensive point-and-shoot from The Wirecutter blog (sort of like a blog version of Consumer Reports, where they test and vet all kinds of electronics) and I've been pretty happy with it in my year of ownership. It's very programmable if you know specific settings, and has a lot of preset lighting conditions or situational conditions to choose from. In low light it can produce a fuzzy image, but that's pretty common for point-and-shoots. One nice thing is that it is wireless enabled, so I could pull photos off my camera onto my iPad and iPhone even without internet available using the Canon iPhone app. You can connect it to a regular wifi network as well, and transfer photos that way. The advanced settings are a little complex for someone who hasn't used more sophisticated cameras, but if you put it on the default setting you'll end up with fairly good photographs. Oh, and I've never had a single photo with red eye taken with this camera. A great casual-use camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera rocks my socks!, August 17, 2014
This camera rocks my socks! No really, it's a great little point-n-shoot. If you add the hacked up firmware to a SDcard and boot that up, it's pretty spectacular, too. The wireless features are not optimal, in my opinion, but they work well enough to get on a WPA2 protected network, and connect up to iPhones, computers, or Android devices. The touch screen is also a little weird on how it responds, but it's quite usable. Resolution is fantastic, and quality in low-light is excellent. HDR elements are strong on this unit, too. If you're looking for an economical, but very, very good little point-n-shoot, this is a strong candidate for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera, June 2, 2013
I bought this for a trip to Scotland. I wanted something small enough to fit into a jacket pocket or purse, and something that would be easy enough to use without having to adjust settings. I haven't had a digital camera in years and I don't know much about cameras, but this one had good reviews so I gave it a try. And it was perfect. Very small and easy to handle. Crazy awesome zoom - I could get a lot of close up shots and I could hold and work the camera with one hand. The color of the pictures wasn't as vibrant as I expected, but that could have been a setting (I just used the default settings). However, I could adjust that easily and quickly in Photoshop. It was easy to learn how to use it. I got great pictures with it.

‹ Previous | 16 7 828 | Next ›