4.0 out of 5 stars Quality leather case, perfect fit for S90
After buying the fantastic new Canon S90, I tried a few generic camera bags, but due to the slightly protruding lens of the S90, all cases were either unnecessarily bulky or too tight a fit.

Published on November 8, 2009 by Andrew M

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Constructed Leather Case, But With No Frills
I don't like my cameras to be unprotected. Whether its my DSLR or my brand new Canon PowerShot S90 Compact Camera, it must be carried in a case. So when Canon came out with a case for the S90, I bought it immediately.

Published on October 30, 2009 by Jeffrey N. Fritz

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality leather case, perfect fit for S90, November 8, 2009
Andrew M (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot PSC-900 Deluxe Leather Compact Dig (Electronics)

This case is designed exclusively for the S90 and cleverly makes space for the lens by using a cut-out in the inner case. The camera slots in neatly without any pressure on sensitive parts, yet is snug enough that it won't rattle around.

All leather looks and feels to be excellent quality, and the interior is super-soft suede that won't scratch your beloved S90.

Another reviewer pointed out the lack of additional space for memory cards & batteries. I think Canon chose the best compromise between bulkiness and practicality - with the prices of 16/32GB SDHC cards nowadays, you shouldn't ever need more than one memory card for any outing... and another battery would just make it too bulky. My only minor complaint is that I have to undo my belt to mount the case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely Constructed Leather Case, But With No Frills, October 30, 2009

On the plus size, the Canon PSC900 Deluxe Leather Case looks, feels and even smells like an old time camera case. It's made from stiff leather that feels like it will protect the camera well. (Be aware that there is not much padding, so this case may or may not help your S90 survive a four foot fall on to a concrete fall.) There is a magnetic snap that looks like a retro metal snap. Very cool. It's easy to get the camera in and out of the case. The camera fits well--as you might expect. (This is a larger compact camera than most and finding a case that fits it properly can be an issue.) And there is a belt strap--although it's not the type that I prefer. I like to clip and un-clip the case from my belt. With the Canon PSC900 Deluxe Leather Case, I have to unbuckle and loosen my belt to get the case off of my belt.

There are some other down sides to the Canon PSC900 Deluxe Leather Case. There is no place to put SD cards, extra batteries or anything else. The case holds to Canon S90 and that's about it. Keep that in mind if you are thinking about buying this case.

If you are looking for a sturdy, well-made leather case--one that looks very retro and is nicely constructed to hold your Canon S90, this case is worth considering. But if you are looking for something more than the basic "hold my camera case" you may want to check out cases from other manufacturers such as Tamrac or Lowepro.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Not Find Anything Better, January 6, 2010
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After trying several cases from the likes of Built NY and Lowepro, I finally decided on the Canon PSC900 leather case. It's far from perfect, but it was the best available solution.

The best part of the case is that it is custom molded for the Canon S90 digital camera. The flap has a circular indentation that allows the lens to fit around it perfectly. The case is a perfect fit and does not add significant bulk, which was the problem I had with some of the Lowepro's. On the other hand, there is absolutely no additional storage or features. It does however have a belt loop but a clip would have been a better solution so that a belt wouldn't need to be threaded in the loop. The flap secures to the body by a magnetic button, which is fairly strong but not so much so that you struggle to open it. I don't understand why they chose to leave so much open space on the upper part of the sides though. I can understand a small slit on the left side (facing the front) for wrist straps, but why the opening on the right side? It's not like you can access any ports while in the case. Lastly, you can't tell from the photos, but the Canon logo is not printed on the case. It's a piece of plastic that they glued on. I can see the logo coming off sometime in the future.

Of the available cases, I found the PSC900 to be the best for the Canon S90. Unlike similar neoprene cases, the hard formed exterior shell of the PSC900 will actually protect the camera from bumps on tables or corners. It could use improvements and a price reduction, but if you invested in the S90, another $35 for a good case is a worthwhile expenditure.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best case available for the S95, September 13, 2010
I was a bit worried about this case after reading some of the reviews, but now that I have it, I couldn't be more pleased. The leather, fit, and construction are top-notch. The logo is not plastic and it is not glued on. It is metal and it is attached through the first layer of leather. I was actually planning to remove it, but doing so would require some cutting so it's not going anywhere. The belt loop is ideal since it only protrudes about 1mm; far less than a metal clip would and it's far more secure. There's no extra storage for accessories, and that's the way it should be because this is the type of camera you can carry in a pocket. Although this case was originally made for the S90, it also fits the S95 perfectly. (The S95 is only 1mm slimmer than the S90.) There's an ingenious notch that allows the adjustment ring to protrude past the interior portion of the case and partially into a recess in the case flap resulting in a case that can still fit in a pocket while providing plenty of protection. My only complaint is the seller shipped it in a bubble-wrap envelope as opposed to a box. The case got crushed in transit and there is now a crease along the top of the case, which should normally be flat and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much PERFECT!, November 24, 2009
The case can be removed while the wearing the wrist strap.
No extra bulk. Excellent quality all the way.
I think this camera case is perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit and looks good, February 1, 2010
Looks great and fits perfectly. Very satisfied. Looks better in person than expected. I don't say that very often and I bet you don't either!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Like a Glove, January 21, 2010
This case is a perfect companion to the S90. It looks great and even smells great. The camera fits snugly and the suede interior protects the camera's aluminum finish from scratching. My only complaint is the protruding plastic "Canon" insignia on the front of the case. It looks tacky and vulnerable to scratches. An embroidered or embossed "Canon" would've been a much better idea. That said, this case is reasonably priced and well-made. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and compact, January 25, 2010
S90 fits perfectly. The case is hardly bigger than the S90 dimensions horizontally or vertically. Well constructed, and can't ask for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, February 5, 2010
For an expensive camera, this is the perfect case. It is a bit bulky but offers great protection. I bicycle commute to work in New York City and the camera bounces around in the back of my pannier bags and this case keeps it safe and happy.
The belt loop is nice and I use it often as I am a real estate professional and I often need to wear the camera on my belt while wearing a suit and it is professional enough in appearance that it is almost a fashion accessory!

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit Richard Franiec's S90/95 Grip, April 2, 2011
First things first: Canon makes no claim that this case will accomodate Franiec's wonderful S95 grip, so I deducted no stars because of this issue. I can never understand reviewers who penalize a product for a problem that has nothing to do with the product itself. But I did want to warn others who have the grip and might be eyeing this case, so I can save them the trouble of returning it, as I will now need to do.

However... I did have the chance to check out the case thoroughly and think that a 3-star rating--"good"--is a fair evaluation for what your $33 will buy you. Starting with its strengths, this case offers a perfect fit (custom sewn to the exact S95 shape), minimal bulk, sleek design and easy access to your camera on the go. If those sound like your priorities, this might be a 4 or 5-star purchase for you.

Where it loses stars for me is in the quality of the materials used. Both the black leather exterior and the brown suede interior have the look and feel of a cheap pair of "real leather" shoes. It's a shame, because this could have been a truly outstanding case with better materials--up there with what you'd expect from Vaja--but falls short, at least for me. Given the high volume in which Canon must sell these cases--and given its minimal design--that seems like something they could have delivered at its $[...] list price.

In the end, if it were not for the grip not fitting, I probably would have kept this case anyway because it's the best of what's out there for the S95.

I hope you found this review helpful in making your purchase decision. And if you're wondering what the heck a Franiec grip is, it's worth googling to check it out.

Rate and Discover Movies