Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on January 13, 2014
I purchased this camera in May 2012 and I've been using it regualarly ever since.
Took it on a 4 day backpacking trip through the Grand Canyon, AZ (light weight compared to an SLR) and now I have AMAZING photos to remember the trip.
Since then, I've taken about 15,000+ photos in about 20 months with this camera.
ZERO problems. :)
100% satisfied.
on September 1, 2013
I was looking for a high-quality point-and-shoot to replace my Canon SD1000 pocket camera. This is a great substitute for a DSLR when you want something much more portable and for a lower price. The black color is stylish. I was most impressed by the wide-angle lens, video shooting quality, and low-light images. I rarely need the flash! This feature helps images stay true to color. This is also the first Canon camera I have had that has a battery indicator on it - it used to be all guesswork! That said, though, the battery icon stays forever at 3 bars, then once it goes to 2 bars it goes very quickly to zero. Better than nothing I suppose.

One thing I found frustrating was that the wrist strap was next to impossible to put on the tiny and oddly angled loop on the camera body. Ultimately I had to link a loop of thread to the strap, attach the thread to a small piece of wire, and poke the wire and thread and strap into the loop on the camera body. It worked, but I wonder how that got past Canon's quality and design team.

MAJOR SETBACK on this camera: Although I purchased a serial number much later than the ones with complaints of a "Lens Error," I got the dreaded "Lens Error"! One random day the camera lens stayed telescoped in the "out" position and the screen gave the "Lens Error" notice and automatically shut itself off and wouldn't power back on. I was traveling at the time, so it was challenging to transport a camera with the lens sticking out and totally unprotected. Fortunately I was covered by my warranty, so I sent it for repair - but did unfortunately have to pay for my own shipping to Canon. The biggest disappointment was that it was under repair in early July, so I didn't get to take the dazzling low-light photos I had hoped to for July 4th fireworks! And when I got the camera back from Canon, it had some new scuffs on it.

I give it 4 stars because although I had some mishaps with the camera, they had nothing to do with the actual photography experience itself. I would buy this camera again and recommend it to others.
on January 4, 2013
I really like this camera, it takes great pictures. The screen on the back of the camera is a great size. My one complaint is that the flash is in an awkward spot, it pops up right where you would naturally hold the camera to take a picture. Due to that fact, I am giving this camera a 4 star rating.
on January 31, 2013
Of the pocket digicams available, I like the level of control over the shot the S100 provides and I especially like the available F2.0 apperture at the wide angle (24mm). additionally, for its size, it has a larger than typical sensor which aids low light work.
of course, with the S100, one can enjoy full automatic photograpy. With this camera, it is best to stick with snap shots and landscapes, leaving the action shots for your SLR.
I have not yet utilized its motion picture capabilites as I consider it primarily my pocket still camera.
I have had lots of fun playing with my S100 now for almost two months and carry it everywhere.
on March 16, 2014
I love the look of this camera and its size. It fits in your pocket, in a small compartment in your backpack, and in any other multitude of convenient places. And as the sayings go, the camera you carry is the one you will use. What's really nice about this camera's size is that you can use it instead of your smartphone...it takes up little extra space and it takes phenomenal pictures.

The camera also has significantly more features than a typical point-and-shoot-camera. You can set virtually any aspect of the camera manually. The screen is really nice (rich, bright and sizable), although it would be nice if it could swivel. The picture quality is good, as is the video quality. The camera feels like a high quality piece.

So what's wrong with the camera, and what is the "fatal flaw?"

1. There is no viewfinder - yes, that's typical today for a point-and-shoot, but disappointing in an enthusiast-grade camera.

2. The flash is horrible and there is no hotshoe for an external flash. Again, fairly typical for a point-and-shoot, but disappointing in an enthusiast's camera.

3. Battery consumption is unbelievably high....it feels like the camera has a parasite in it....Using the GPS feature will really hurt battery performance. I find it necessary to carry at least 3 batteries with me to avoid being caught short.

4. Biggest problem of them all - the "lens error". I've literally never dropped this camera - never! The body is like brand-new. But none of that mattered the other night when I visited the Boston Red Sox the other night and the camera froze up with the well-publicized lens error. That took the camera out of commission and I had to send it back for evaluation and repair. This is a disappointing development and really causes me to distrust the camera. If you do a search on the web for "Canon S100 Lens error", you'll see it's a wide-spread problem.

Why won't Canon recall these cameras? Why can't they simply build them right so this problem doesn't happen? Now it sounds like the S110 is also having this same problem....So while I love the way this camera works, I don't love the lack or reliability. So hence the 2 star rating...
I needed a small camera for candid pictures of vacation travel and social events. I also need a smaller camera to use as a back-up for underwater pictures. After reading the reviews from Backscatter I know the Canon S100 was the camera that would be the best choose for my needs.
on September 11, 2014
Summary: People who want a lot of customization and very detailed photos will love this pocket camera, and probably the S95, S110, S120, etc. line. Once you learn it, you can get an occasional near DSLR quality picture with minor touch ups in Photoshop. The cons are that the "Auto" Mode doesn't have a "Flash Always On" setting, and the line is plagued with and unfortunately common "Lens Error" which broke my camera, and it still isn't working right after being fixed.

Long: I got this camera for $308 in 2012. I absolutely loved it and became disgusted at how poor quality other point and shoot pictures were. Unfortunately, after two years of use, I got the common "Lens Error" problem that plagues this line (that Canon knows about but refused to help me after the 1 year limited warranty). I sent it out to be repaired, not cheap but I had bought insurance for $75 which helped, and when it came back, it had trouble focusing when it wasn't zoomed in on a subject and also it clicked whenever it refocused during a video which made the audio horrible.

When it was working, it could take incredibly detailed pictures, you could see pores on skin kind of focus, though sometimes you'd have to take two or three for the right one. The flash was harsh in auto mode, but can be manually turned down to one of three settings in a custom mode. There is no "Flash Always On" in "Auto" mode, a feature I'd like to see added. I had to, though trial and error, set up a flash on mode manually adjusting settings on TV or Manual mode. The video quality was above average, though it did have some focusing problems every so often, and it would occasionally take 5 seconds to get it refocused if the subject was moving. The quality of pictures it produced were quite better than a Nikon CoolPix point and shoot and I still am disappointed whenever I use someone else's point and shoot. http://snapsort.com/cameras/Canon-S100-specs It's 12 megapixels, which is not too many to make it noisy, and the pixel micron is 3.4 um, which is pretty good for a point and shoot. (A cell phone camera is only a measly 1.5 um, though the HTC ONE M8 has a 2 um pixel size, which is considered good.)
on June 20, 2013
I love everything about the camera, fully satiisfed with it ... the only thing is that lens had in issue it was anounced by canon that its manufacturer defect. I had send for service, however, support here in the middle east sucks I was told to wait over a month for parts to arrive from Japan ....

all in all this camera is one that wont regret buying if you are not looking for ZOOM cameras.
on September 28, 2012
I've read many reviews that pointed this camera as the best point and shoot camera. This is really outstanding. I've never seen a small size camera high so many resources and especially image quality. Night shots with ISO are very good. The only thing that I didn't like is the flash movement. I still must get used to the flash rising in the corner of the camera where I used to hold the camera.
on August 10, 2013
I needed a small camera that I could carry in my purse for short trips and one that would take a high quality picture and this camera provided that for me. It is easy to hold and filled my requirements. I have received many compliments on the pictures I have taken.