Published 9 months ago by Handy Home Helper

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, useless bundle
Published 4 months ago by MK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightning-Fast processor, far superior lower-light images with faster shutter speed., November 20, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot S120 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video Ultimate Bundle With 32GB High Speed Card, Extra Battery,HDMI Cable, Card Wallet Case Cleaning Kit, Tripod & Reader (Electronics)
Firstly, shutter speed is LIGHTING fast, providing you don't have too much for the camera to do. True it's faster than any other to date in fully automatic mode, but when you select "Custom" and choose fewer tasks for it to calculate, it's much faster than the "normal" mode. In auto mode flash is either "off" or "auto"...no "on" when you know you need faster shutter speed and are in borderline low light with movement. We take a lot of kid/dog impromptu photos, which often happen spur of the moment, and the need to manually "click" open the flash, then turn the dial to make sure you're in "Custom" mode so the flash will be manually forced to be on...by then the thing you want to shoot is long gone. Ideal would be fully automatic with an "ON" mode for flash, which will simply flip up on it's own when you shoot (if you've forgotten to manually engage it).
Otherwise, the camera functions are far more than we need, great capacity for fully HD videos, multiple output modes, and one thing we haven't tried yet...WiFi data transfer to PC's, Tablets or wherever you need to send your photos. A cool function to be sure, as long as we can figure it out!
The owner's manual is nearly 300 pages...just in English...so don't be expecting an "EASY" camera. Just a really great portable for great photos. One note is the lower light "auto" seems to have a much brighter result with fewer blurry images as our last Canon PowerShot from a couple years ago. So shoot away, and have fun with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Small Camera with a Lot of Capability, November 28, 2013
I recently purchased this camera kit from Beach Camera through Amazon. First, I wanted to say I am happy with Beach Camera. I ordered the camera on a Wednesday and it was shipped the same day. I received it that Friday with the normal shipping method. So it arrived very quickly. The kit is about the same price as the camera alone and I thought this would be a good deal. The items are decent quality. The SD card is a Sony brand. It is nice having an extra battery. The only thing I may not use much would be the case, since it is relatively large for this size of camera.

I am impressed with the camera so far. I have been learning how to use it, but it is not real difficult, since I already have a Canon A570 IS. The low light images seem to work very well, since this has up to ISO 12800 capability. I have taken several indoor shots, but have yet to use the flash. This was one of the main reasons I wanted to get a better camera and this do fit what I was looking for. The size is nice for what I need at this time. I was considering a DSLR, but I was not sure if I needed something that size at this point. This does have similar functionality of the DSLR in a smaller package. The image quality is impressive. As long as you stay within the optical range, the quality remains when you zoom in or crop a photo.

I am looking forward to continue to explore the functions of this camera and use it on trips and other times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Half way between a point and shoot and SLR, January 28, 2014
Catherine Geary (Santa Rosa, California United States) - See all my reviews
Usually I shoot with a digital SLR camera by Canon. Sometimes, however, I just want a small camera in my pocket for those spur of the moment shots/videos without the extra weight and complexity of the larger camera. After seeing a friend's shots with this camera, I purchased it. It does take superior point and shoot photos/videos and has considerable capabilities. It has more zoom capability than I would have anticipated in a camera this size. It is a bit heavier than the usual point and shoot and the controls are a bit confusing at first, even for a regular Canon user like myself. The result is definitely worth the extra effort. We will eventually replace all of our family point and shoot cameras with this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, useless bundle, April 3, 2014
The camera is fantastic balancing size an functionality. However, this bundle is definitely not worth it. The case they send is huge, for a much larger camera defeating the purpose of a small camera. The only useful things are the card and the extra battery, but you can get those one their own for much less. The other items are useless and worthless. Save $50 and get the camera on its own from an other vendor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, December 30, 2013
If i had bought this camera from someone Else i would have to pay the same amount for just the s120, in this set there are so Many exstra things! Love that! And the exstra battery is just awesome since the battery time can be shorter for this model than others so w 2 i dont have to Worry at all :) the camera bag is very Big but it fits all the exstra gear so it is Nice ti have to store it in:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pocket size camera., December 8, 2013
Great compact cameras. Has many options for the photographer. Shoots in RAW. Produces wonderful images. Useful lens range of zoom

5.0 out of 5 stars Justifiable Upgrade to the S100, July 15, 2014
The Canon S120 is an excellent upgrade to the S100 I currently own. Picture quality is superb. Focus is sharp and autofocus finds its target quickly and in most every light situation. I found the exposure to be reliabled determined most of the time, and in tricky situations (snow scenes, for example,) exposure correction could be done quickly. The S120 continues the 24mm-equivalent wide angle view, allowing for a vital extra bit of framing in outdoor scenes not available with 28mm lenses. The big screen is sharp and easy to use in daylight, and I really enjoyed using the touch-screen ability, especially to select exposure points and to review captured images. I was concerned when Canon removed the rubber grip from the front of the camera and smoothed the camera face a bit, but a rubber thumb grip on the camera rear made it easy to hold the camera confidently.

One reason I upgraded was for the improved low-light performance. This camera delivers, producing less noisy images in room light conditions and even producing fun photos in nighttime scenes. Going to a 12MP sensor from 10MP didn’t help the situation – more pixels means each pixel is smaller, can catch fewer photons and can be more influenced by natural noise. Improved processing from the S100 makes up for this and created some very nice imagery.

I found the HDR function to be quite weak – images captured using this function often did not look noticeably better than a single-exposure shot. It’s action is much faster, making hand-held HDR photos possible (unlike the S100, which requires a tripod). I found iPhone apps that did a much better job at this task. Also, as many folks have mentioned, battery life does not seem robust. When taking videos, the battery goes into the red awful quickly. However, I found that turning the camera off and then on again restored the battery meter to 2/3 full, and I actually got quite a bit more life out of the battery than I thought I would. Qualitatively, I think the battery life is about the same as the S100 – on a vacation day taking lots of photos, I’d generally go through two batteries (I carried a charged third on a recent vacation, but rarely used it.)

The feature I loved was the ability to upload photos to Canon’s Image Gateway, using the built-in WiFi ability. Once the photos are there, I used my iPad, iPhone or laptop to create photo albums for folks to see. It was a great way for our parents to see what we were up to on our vacation. Canon also provides another iPhone app called CameraWindow. It’s pretty simple – it allows you to view the captured images on your iPhone and save them to the iPhone. Since iPhones/iPads don’t have a place to plug in SD memory cards, this is the most direct way to get photos taking on the camera onto your iDevice. It also allows you to backup critical photos (as does Image Gateway,) so if your camera is lost or stolen, the images won’t be lost. CameraWindow is strictly a card reader, though. It does not allow your iPhone to see what the sensor sees or control the camera (take a picture) remotely. Wouldn’t that be neat!

Overall, I love this camera. The photos are impressive, the camera is robust, and the WiFi ability with the associated apps makes this a great upgrade to the S100.

Regarding the kit: The memory card and extra battery are the two useful items, although I may use the HDMI cable at some point. The camera bag is too big for this camera, and the 4" tripod is pretty basic. The screen protectors are worthless - not worth the effort to apply as they don't go on smoothly (too flimsy.) But, absent any discounts when I bought the camera, the SD card and battery were pluses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera with decent accessories!, July 13, 2014
R.S (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Great camera with some handy accessories. I can easily fit the camera into a back pocket without too much bulk. Be careful when sitting down though. The bag carries everything nicely but kinda ugly so I wouldn't carry it around with me. Nice that it comes with a backup battery and extra SD card. Over all great purchase and really fast shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars For a camera this size the results are amazing, May 27, 2014
I have been very happy with this little camera. The in camera HDR function is great. Manual control is something that I love - usually the camera gets the metering right but in some situations it makes all the difference. The screen protector and other accessories that come with the camera are junk. The only exception is the spare battery and memory card - those have worked well. The other things are basically worthless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot S120, November 26, 2013
Received in good condition. Did not come in compact camera bag. However with all the goodies packed in, it is well worth it. I have tried the (P) setting for day fluorescent setting and works well. Gave a nice feel to the picture. Although transfer to my mobile phone is one picture at a time, this is fine with me as I only want certain pictures for facebook upload via my phone. Works like a breeze.

Rate and Discover Movies