Showing 1-10 of 46 reviews (1 star)show all reviews
on September 15, 2011
Verified Purchase
After using my Canon A720IS with 6X optical zoom for almost 4 years I decided for an upgrade. My Canon A720IS was still in it's best condition & used to take stunning pictures, but I wanted some more features specially more zoom.

I bought this camera (SX130IS) in Feb 2011 after reading some good reviews.
After a moderate use for 3-4 months only, I see dust getting inside the lens. I have taken care of this camera to extreme (as my previous Canon A720IS), but still don't know, how the dust got inside. I am sure many more people has encountered this by now.

I bought this from Amazon with US warranty, but I am in Australia. So I can't get local warranty on this & can't even return back to Amazon.

I searched internet & found that, many peoples have reported dust issue with this camera.
It's design is bad. I am not happy with the build quality of this camera.

Perhaps all the good reviews of this camera were posted within the initial days of testing by the customers. But if you wait for 3-4 months, you will see the reality. To me dust is a big issue & unfortunately Canon is not doing anything in this regard & not sure if Amazon can do anything?

Please don't buy this camera else you will regret after 3-4 months.

P.S.: I keep this camera in best quality Case Logic camera case & protect it very well. I use this camera only when required (1 or 2 times in a month when I go out & moderate use only).
on April 22, 2011
This camera has an inherent bad seal on the front lens element so that dust and moisture collect inside the camera on the first element (or glass lens cover) or on the inside lens. I have sent this camera back to Canon twice and they sent back refurbished cameras both times. The first replacement had the same problem. I am now on my third Canon SX130 and we will see if this is a dust gatherer also. Instead of fixing the problem or even admitting there is one Canon just sends another camera to you. They are supposed to contact you by email about any problems but I have never received anything just another camera at my door. What will happen when the warranty period is up?? This is a defect that they will not fix. Canon has this camera listed as "do not repair just replace".
DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2011
Verified Purchase
I have been a big fan of the Canon powershot cameras, going back to the A20. I still have my A20 and now use it for underwater shots, inside the very sturdy Canon waterproof case. I have owned the A20, the SX110IS, and the SX10IS. Many of our family members have powershots, including the SX20IS and the older A40. We have all been very pleased with our Canon cameras. One of my favorite features of the powershots I've bought has been the fact that they use AA batteries. Yes, it means shorter battery life, but it also means never being unable to use the camera on a trip away from home -- all you have to do is buy AA batteries at a gas station and you're good to go. Well worth it to me to give up some battery life for that convenience.

I have been very happy with my SX110IS - beautiful still shots, good movies, travels well. It has some annoying features like very slow flash cycling, but overall it's been a great camera.

Well, I gave my SX110IS to a family member as a gift, planning to buy myself this SX130IS as a replacement. I assumed I'd get the same great camera, but now with HD video and a few extra megapixels as a bonus.

I am **VERY** disappointed in the SX130IS. There's something not quite as good about the still shots, but that's not my primary complaint. My main complaint is the video mode. It is absolutely awful. Constantly goes in and out of focus while filming. I noticed this immediately on using the camera, so I returned it to Amazon as an exchange for the exact same model, figuring it was just a flaw with that one camera. Not so. The replacement has the exact same problem. I've gone through all the possible settings, and the problem persists. The only thing that helps is to use manual focus, but then you have to, well, focus manually, which isn't always an option for real-world filming, and is not easy to do with this camera. I even shot the same scene with this camera and then with my SX10IS for comparison, and the older SX10IS shot perfect video, while this new camera blurred in and out of focus the whole time. I've sent back the second camera, this time for a refund. I have no intention of trying again with this model, especially now that I've noted several other reviewers here and on other sites complaining about the same problem. I hope this isn't the last Canon powershot I ever get to own -- as noted above, I've been a very big fan for many years. But this model is garbage. Buyer beware.

I'm now trying to decide whether to buy one of the few remaining new SX120IS models, or just get a used or refurbished SX110IS to replace the one I gave away.

Very disappointed in Canon. This may be the last they see of this once-loyal customer.
------------------------------------
Update: I decided to get one of the SX120IS models. Works just fine. Looks like I will continue to be a Canon customer, but I am still convinced there is something wrong with the SX130IS as I described above.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 9, 2011
Verified Purchase
After 5 years of owning the Power Shot A620 I thought it was time for an upgrade (I know, why fix something that's not broken?). I had taken thousands of pictures with this old model and I thought the colors were infinitely better than with any other brand but I liked the idea that these new camera had a really good zoom and bigger viewing screen so I tried to avoid giving importance to the many warning reviews about its low battery life (which are accurate by the way). I realize this model only carries 2 batteries but overall I would say you'll spend about twice as much than with older ones, for example, just try zooming while shooting video and no matter how new the batteries are, you'll likely get a "low battery" warning (I'm not kidding).
But what really has me down about this new camera are the colors which are mediocre at best. There is very little contrast and faces turn out rather yellowish. With my old A620 you could choose modes such as INDOOR and NIGHT SCENE which would greatly improve results and this new model is suppossed to do automatically with "suppossed" being the key word here.
Now I'm stuck with these new camera which I have no idea what to do with. Until recently I thought I would never buy anything but Cannon but this idea is history. For now I'm going back to my old A620 and will someday look into buying a newer model but the only thing about such I can say for sure is that Cannon has lost a customer for good.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2012
Verified Purchase
I read so many reviews and narrowed my choice down to this camera. I don't know why it has so many good reviews.

When you view the photo on the camera it often appears clear/in focus when in reality (on computer) it's blurry.

It's not fast enough to take photos of a my little boy who barely sits still. By the time the photo is taken, he's already moving on. It's only slightly faster when not using the flash.

It's not fast enough to take multiple photos in succession when using the flash; in other words, it takes a while for the camera to recover for the next photo which makes this camera virtually useless.

It's not fast enough to auto focus if you want a quick photo - often the image is not crisp or just downright blurry.

I bought this over a year ago and don't even know where it is in my house. I just always use my Nikon D5100. This camera was supposed to be the carry around camera for quick shots when out and about but it fell flat.

I started out with giving this camera two stars but after writing this little review, I think I'll downgrade to a one star review since I don't even know where it is and believe it was a complete waste of money.

The battery life is lousy, even when using the overpriced lithium batteries especially made for cameras.

On a positive note (the only one), Amazon delivered this in no time at all.
on March 10, 2011
Verified Purchase
I had the Canon Powershot SX110IS which I loved. This was the newer model and I had hoped to love it as much. The camera feels and works like a cheap camera. Not the quality I was expecting at all. The biggest problem I had was the zoom. The switch did not want to cooperate, and it would not display how far out you were zoomed. My zoomed pictures looked awful and blurry, and I did not even have the camera zoomed out very far. Having had such a winner with the 110, I am really disappointed and returning this one right away!
on October 16, 2012
So sad... researched this camera, loved the size, features, etc. but IMMEDIATELY started giving me the E32 error message, which from my research I'm finding will cost me as much as the camera to fix. It also randomly rotates pictures (what the heck?) so when I download them from my memory cards they are upside down or sideways. Terrible and so disappointing. The few pics I have gotten are decent, but nothing special. My old Kodak Easyshare Z740 took much better photos.
Verified Purchase
I bought this camera the end of August 2011. About 3 months later (not long after the final return date of October 1st had passed) the camera suddenly started having problems focusing. I would get several photos and suddenly it wouldn't focus on ANYTHING. I would have to turn it off and back on before it would focus again. Now, the camera is 9 months old and I can barely get one or two photos before it stops focusing. I've missed some spectacular shots because I couldn't get it focused or rebooted in time. I go through rechargeable batteries just turning it on and off all the time. The photo quality, when it DOES work, is far better than ANY of its competitors in the same price range and even better than the grainy results of the Canon PowerShot SX150IS that I also bought. But, its problems are too many and too great for me to give it anything higher than one star. Sad that I couldn't even get a one year warranty on it without paying extra.
on January 19, 2013
I have loved the Canon brand. LOVED it and have been loyal until recently. I bought this camera last year. I've had it for 12 months, and already, the company has replaced it for me 4 times. Not joking. 4 times. It all seems to have to do with the battery adn the flash. I put new batteries in, and the red light comes on saying low battery. After taking a couple of pics (literally like 3) the camera shuts down. Canon's customer service has been EXCEPTIONAL! No complaints there, but this camera has not lived up to what the company usually produces. Ugh.
on January 8, 2013
Verified Purchase
It's a great camera BUT EATS Batteries like they are M&Ms. And rechargable NiCads only work in it when brand new. Once recharged the camera just says "REPLACE BATTERIES" once their recharged. HQRP AC Power Adapter for Canon PowerShot works OK if you are shooting from a static location like pics for ebay/Amazon.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations