4.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little camera
Published 3 months ago by Nematoda

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera stops recording HD video randomly.
Published 1 month ago by Matthew H. Cole

4.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little camera, December 25, 2013
Nematoda (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX510 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 30x Optical Zoom and 1080p Full-HD Video (Electronics)
I'm just a point-and-shoot guy, and all I wanted was a good point-and-shoot camera with a powerful zoom lens, and good picture quality for an admittedly undiscerning eye. I got all that and more with this camera. Since there are plenty of "expert" reviews, I'm not going to say anything about the ins-and-outs of the camera. So, for what it's worth, here are my random comments.

1. Besides the 30x optical zoom on the SX510, the other cool feature is the wifi capability. Setting up the wifi was not particularly intuitive, but I eventually got everything working. I read one review from a mac owner that the wifi would not transfer pictures wirelessly from the camera to the the Apple computer. That's not true. All you need to do is download some Canon software (available here: [...] Once you download and install the software, you need to connect your computer to the camera via your home wifi network. Again, this isn't very intuitive, but it's not too difficult either. After the connection is made, you'll be able to transfer photos from the camera to your Apple computer via the "Image Sync" command.

2. One reason I decided to get a new camera (I upgraded from an older Canon Powershot, the S3) was because my old camera took terrible pictures indoors and in low light. I read that the SX510 did much better. To my untrained eye, this certainly seems to be the case. I took a couple of indoor pictures that turned out very poorly on my S3; using the SX510, the same shots were significantly better. On close inspection, I could see some "noise," but relatively speaking, the differences were huge.

3. The SX510 is very compact and light. One big reason, of course, is that it uses a proprietary battery, rather than 4 AAs. A lot of people prefer AAs for obvious reasons, but as long as you are prepared, the proprietary battery should not be a problem. You can buy extra batteries online (on Amazon) for a very low price. Having extra batteries will help you avoid those sad situations of not having batteries when you need them.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, October 23, 2013
Great camera for travellers,, fast shooting ,, best thing i found is ,.. one can zoom while taking video.. which i have never found this feature in this type version of cameras before

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera stops recording HD video randomly., March 8, 2014
I wanted a camera that took awesome still shots and could shoot 1080P for my youtube projects. I thought I had struck gold with this camera, but unfortunately I was wrong. I tried recording videos over and over again and randomly, during the process, the camera would beep and stop recording. Confused and irritated, I looked online, tried contacting Canon for support (that was a waste of time) and kept looking for help on forums. Finally, I found a yahoo answers that explained what was happening. The sensor in the camera will start to overheat, or get close to overheating and stop recording to protect itself. Though it may be a nice feature to elongate the lifespan of your product, Canon really should have mentioned a LIMITED recording time on this product page. It just says "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button." When it should have said, "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound for a few minutes, before I get too warm and switch off." Of course, that doesn't sound very appealing, now does it?

That being said, The image quality of the photos were absolutely awesome! So I'm very sad I'm returning this camera.

Pros - Great still shot quality and great build quality.

Cons - Shooting video with a sentient-like sensor that will just randomly shut off when it gets warm sucks, hardcore.

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS CAMERA!!!!!!!!!, October 8, 2013
this camera is great!! the first day I got it, I found out how good it is. It has lots of zoom and when I bought a tripod for it, it worked awesomely.It is OK for beginners but it is AWSOME for people who have lots of camera experience.If you are looking for a good camera BUY THIS ONE!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality for a Great Price, December 16, 2013
I wanted a "nice" camera that was easy to use and wouldn't break the bank. This camera takes great pictures! I especially wanted a camera that works well in low light since the cheap cameras I have now are terrible with that. We were able to take nice photos in front of the Christmas tree with only the tree lights on and they turned out great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannon PowerShot SX510 - A Great Camera for the Price!!, November 4, 2013
Had I not been leaving town for a trip the next day (October 18), I would have bought this through Amazon with the additional warranty, just to be safe. The Amazon price is a great price. This Power Shot is an upgrade from my first Cannon Powershot, the A590. For me the selling features were, it's a Cannon and the extended telephoto 30X Optical Lens. I've had great success with Cannon cameras, with many of the pictures I've shot with the A590 being used for magnetic photo bookmarks I sell. The primary limitation with the A590 was the optical telephoto only being 4X with digital abilities to shoot out to 8X. Shooting many outdoor shots, particularly of hummingbirds as an example, I could never get the quality shots I wanted. With the SX510 I can stand off, zoom in and now have great shots. It has all the features of the earlier A590, plus the longer telephoto, better battery life with it's Lithium Ion battery and some great new features I'm still learning. One limitation is the lack of a viewfinder. The digital screen is great, but a bit cumbersome to use when I zoom out to catch something in the distance. That takes a bit to get used to and I'm still working on it. As long as my subject doesn't move, fly off or disappear I can find it and shoot. The other drawback is it's limited number of F stops. I prefer the full range of F stops on my old SLR camera. The SX510 gives you F3.4 - F8. Although limited I have found it adequate for present. The kit that it comes with gives you everything you need to get started. It did take me a couple of weeks to realize that the little snap strap on the camera case is meant to snap around the camera neck harness. That's a nice feature - I pull out the camera and don't have to fumble around trying to put the case down - I just let it hang from the neck strap and start shooting. All in all, this is a great little camera for the price and it's a step in the right direction from earlier PowerShot cameras. I would buy it again with no qualms. This will do what I need, while I research Digital SLR's to replace my old film SLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great point and shoot, if that's what you're looking for, November 27, 2013
The form of this camera is small. My wife has small hands and this is perfect for her.
We simply leave it on auto and it takes great photos. Just what we needed and you look cool doing it!
I have no doubt this camera is capable of many things in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer. We're not that person and it still works great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Photos, December 22, 2013
This is an upgrade from my other Canon. Super zoom and great pics in low light settings.
Make sure you create an account with Canon Image Gateway to link your pics with WIFI to share with Flickr, Facebook, Youtube or any other service. One you link your camera to the Gateway, the rest is easy. Those steps could be tricky. Every else is pure Canon easiness.
Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot camera, January 28, 2014
Bought this camera for my husband for Christmas--he hunts a lot, but also loves taking pics of the wildlife. He absolutely LOVES it--the zoom feature is incredible--he took a pic of a cardinal in the woods behind our house, and it looked like it was right in our window. Couldn't be more pleased!!

ARRAY(0x9dd05468)