4.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little camera
Published 11 months ago by Nematoda

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera stops recording HD video randomly.
Published 8 months ago by Matthew H. Cole

4.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little camera, December 25, 2013
Nematoda (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX510 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I'm just a point-and-shoot guy, and all I wanted was a good point-and-shoot camera with a powerful zoom lens, and good picture quality for an admittedly undiscerning eye. I got all that and more with this camera. Since there are plenty of "expert" reviews, I'm not going to say anything about the ins-and-outs of the camera. So, for what it's worth, here are my random comments.

1. Besides the 30x optical zoom on the SX510, the other cool feature is the wifi capability. Setting up the wifi was not particularly intuitive, but I eventually got everything working. I read one review from a mac owner that the wifi would not transfer pictures wirelessly from the camera to the the Apple computer. That's not true. All you need to do is download some Canon software (available here: [...] Once you download and install the software, you need to connect your computer to the camera via your home wifi network. Again, this isn't very intuitive, but it's not too difficult either. After the connection is made, you'll be able to transfer photos from the camera to your Apple computer via the "Image Sync" command.

2. One reason I decided to get a new camera (I upgraded from an older Canon Powershot, the S3) was because my old camera took terrible pictures indoors and in low light. I read that the SX510 did much better. To my untrained eye, this certainly seems to be the case. I took a couple of indoor pictures that turned out very poorly on my S3; using the SX510, the same shots were significantly better. On close inspection, I could see some "noise," but relatively speaking, the differences were huge.

3. The SX510 is very compact and light. One big reason, of course, is that it uses a proprietary battery, rather than 4 AAs. A lot of people prefer AAs for obvious reasons, but as long as you are prepared, the proprietary battery should not be a problem. You can buy extra batteries online (on Amazon) for a very low price. Having extra batteries will help you avoid those sad situations of not having batteries when you need them.

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, September 26, 2013
I have the professional Canon 5D Mark 2 camera with all the lenses, flash filters and everything else, but I needed a small camera for riding my motorcycle to events. After researching I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which I am glad I did. The first weekend I took over 300 photographs and I am extremely happy with this camera. I was really surprised at how small it is but it does take a nice 12 meg picture. For the price, I can't imagine using anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars so far, truly impressed, April 16, 2014
Wow. This is a truly amazing little camera. I bought this to replace my Nikon Coolpix. I had my coolpix for just over 12 months when it broke, due to no fault of my own, and it was going to cost $150 to repair. Rather than repair a camera that I liked but didn't love, I decided to make a new purchase.

My initial intention was to purchase a Canon Rebel, I have used my mom's in the past and really love that camera. I loved using the interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually focus. Seeing the cost though ($500+,) plus the cost of additional lenses, it just wasn't in my price range at the moment and I needed a new camera urgently. If you're looking for a DSLR, do not expect this to function the same. It's a powerful little camera, but it is NOT a DSLR. If you're an amateur photographer and have no intention of taking a class to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR, this is a perfect camera for you.

So began my research. It became a toss up between the Canon SX510 and the Nikon L820. Reviewers were split between the two, some preferring the Nikon, some preferring the Canon. They seemed to come out about even except in a few minor categories, and having been very pleased with the Canon Rebel, I decided to go with the Canon despite it costing about $30 more than the Nikon.

Pro's-

*30x Optical zoom - awesome, no more grainy pictures of kids on stage during performances

*Built in wifi - go ahead and upload your pics to facebook, send them to your phone, or directly to your wireless printer.

*Manual setting - can do your own iso settings, white balance, shutter speed etc. The auto setting works fabulously in most cases, far better than any camera I've ever owned, but the option is there for those times it's just not adjusting quite how you want it.

*CMOS sensor provides for a clearer image, especially on the macro setting, than my own eyes give me.

*Zoom assist - for when you use your 30x zoom but lose your subject

*Size - for anyone that has gone hiking with a DSLR and multiple lenses, you know what a pain that can be. This lighter camera is perfect for running around and still has a lot of the qualities that you'd look for in a DSLR. So unless you're out taking professional shots, this comes in really handy

*Discreet mode - This is a setting on the dial, great for those events when there is no flash allowed. In this mode, the camera doesn't make noise when turning it on, nor does the flash go off. Even if the camera goes off and you turn it back on, because it is set on the dial, it doesn't reset itself. I've accidentally had my flash turned back on so many times that way on previous cameras.

Cons -

*Very poor manual - A lot of skipping around to get one thing done. IE Looking through the start up manual, it says "for instructions on attaching (the lens cap cord and neck strap) please see the user manual on the canon website" Granted, it wasn't difficult to figure out, but there was no clear spot for the lens cap cord, and it is something that should have been included in a "start-up" manual. Another example of a poor manual, referring to the downloadable pdf manual...say you want to learn how to use the miniature setting...so it says "miniature setting, pg 48" You go to pg 48 and it says to follow steps 1 and 2 on page 46....okay back to page 46, got that down, back to page 48. It seems to be this way when trying to learn how to access any of the features. I can't fault the actual camera for this, but definitely Canon. I actually made up my own cheat sheet for accessing my favorite features until I have it down.

*No ability to manually focus - Being that this camera is not a DSLR, I didn't expect or really even hope for this feature. I would have liked it, but for the $$, I definitely can't complain and will upgrade in the future.

*Mirrorless - I would definitely prefer to use a viewfinder, I am used to going without though, so it's easy to work around.

*No Raw Shooting - this feature doesn't apply to most people, but sometimes I prefer to use it

*No Touch Screen - This is taking time for me to get used to, I find myself constantly tapping the screen. My last 2 cameras, going back to 2010, have been touch screen, so I'm surprised to find this camera doesn't have one.

Some reviewers have complained about the difficulty of accessing the wifi, this was fairly easy for me and took about 15 minutes max. It's a little more work than it typically takes to connect a device to wifi,and you have to use the computer to do it, but it's still not overly difficult.

Despite the cons, I'm still incredibly impressed with this camera and it has definitely earned 5 stars when taking into account the type of camera, the construction, and the value. I'm very happy with this purchase despite the fact that I was hoping for my next camera to be the Rebel. I never imagined I'd get a camera of this level of quality for under $400. (I paid $229, could have bought a slightly cheaper one, but wanted one that was Amazon fulfilled and prime)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, October 23, 2013
Great camera for travellers,, fast shooting ,, best thing i found is ,.. one can zoom while taking video.. which i have never found this feature in this type version of cameras before

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera stops recording HD video randomly., March 8, 2014
I wanted a camera that took awesome still shots and could shoot 1080P for my youtube projects. I thought I had struck gold with this camera, but unfortunately I was wrong. I tried recording videos over and over again and randomly, during the process, the camera would beep and stop recording. Confused and irritated, I looked online, tried contacting Canon for support (that was a waste of time) and kept looking for help on forums. Finally, I found a yahoo answers that explained what was happening. The sensor in the camera will start to overheat, or get close to overheating and stop recording to protect itself. Though it may be a nice feature to elongate the lifespan of your product, Canon really should have mentioned a LIMITED recording time on this product page. It just says "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button." When it should have said, "Capture beautiful 1080p full HD video in stereo sound for a few minutes, before I get too warm and switch off." Of course, that doesn't sound very appealing, now does it?

That being said, The image quality of the photos were absolutely awesome! So I'm very sad I'm returning this camera.

Pros - Great still shot quality and great build quality.

Cons - Shooting video with a sentient-like sensor that will just randomly shut off when it gets warm sucks, hardcore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, March 6, 2014
I own 12 cameras. I teach photography to middle school students and find this camera to be the easiest for my students to learn the basics and enjoy all the functions. For the price you are getting an excellent camera with an incredible zoom.

3.0 out of 5 stars I kinda hate this camera., June 1, 2014
KD (Mississippi, USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this camera because I needed a megazoom for a specific event. First off, the camera works well and takes better pictures than it probably should. I'm a novice photographer and needed a decent point and shoot to take great pictures. It delivers and my photos are great quality, indoor and outdoor. For those who like more control, the camera also has manual controls. One tiny drawback is that the controls aren't as "intuitive" as my other digital cameras. You'll probably need the manual handy the first time you use it. No big deal. My problem is getting my fine pictures OUT of the camera. It is wireless only. Great! One less cable to keep up with. Not so fast. The setup for wireless is a colossal pain in the neck. You have to register on the Canon image gallery website. Then register the camera. Then set up the access point. Then register the computer, smartphone, tablet, etc you'd like to to send the pictures to. Fine, that is expected. After all of that, you upload the pictures and realize you can't even crop a photo on the CIG website/app, much less do any real editing. You have to do it using the 3" screen on the camera first. Whatever, I'll import into iPhoto on my Mac. If only the camera would stay connected to the computer! After 20 aggravating minutes, I gave up and loaded the SD card into the adapter attached to my computer and uploaded that way. You can "upload" an album to twitter and facebook (sorry, no other video/photo sharing apps) from the CIG, but to share them with your friends requires password? That would be because you aren't uploading the pictures, just a link to the album. If you want to create or add to an album on facebook, you'll have to upload the pictures one at a time; can't "select all" and be done with it. After taking hundreds of pictures, that ain't happening. The wireless function on this camera is, in a word, ONEROUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!, January 14, 2014
My wife and I purchased this to have a good camera for taking pics of our newborn son. We have been so pleased with it. The zoom is absolutely incredible. I'm sure there are many stronger and better quality cameras out there for the professionals, but for a family at home...this is awesome...especially for around $200! Good quality video as well. We are excited every time we upload pics to the computer to see how clear and beautiful the images of our boy are!

Also, we bought extra batteries from this amazon listing:
B008TX0RC6

The batteries were a good price and they actually last longer than the factory canon battery. Just a little food for thought!

Also, in terms of aesthetics...the camera is very nice looking and built well. The neck strap is nice, and the camera fits very comfortably in your hands. Light weight! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality for a Great Price, December 16, 2013
I wanted a "nice" camera that was easy to use and wouldn't break the bank. This camera takes great pictures! I especially wanted a camera that works well in low light since the cheap cameras I have now are terrible with that. We were able to take nice photos in front of the Christmas tree with only the tree lights on and they turned out great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannon PowerShot SX510 - A Great Camera for the Price!!, November 4, 2013
Had I not been leaving town for a trip the next day (October 18), I would have bought this through Amazon with the additional warranty, just to be safe. The Amazon price is a great price. This Power Shot is an upgrade from my first Cannon Powershot, the A590. For me the selling features were, it's a Cannon and the extended telephoto 30X Optical Lens. I've had great success with Cannon cameras, with many of the pictures I've shot with the A590 being used for magnetic photo bookmarks I sell. The primary limitation with the A590 was the optical telephoto only being 4X with digital abilities to shoot out to 8X. Shooting many outdoor shots, particularly of hummingbirds as an example, I could never get the quality shots I wanted. With the SX510 I can stand off, zoom in and now have great shots. It has all the features of the earlier A590, plus the longer telephoto, better battery life with it's Lithium Ion battery and some great new features I'm still learning. One limitation is the lack of a viewfinder. The digital screen is great, but a bit cumbersome to use when I zoom out to catch something in the distance. That takes a bit to get used to and I'm still working on it. As long as my subject doesn't move, fly off or disappear I can find it and shoot. The other drawback is it's limited number of F stops. I prefer the full range of F stops on my old SLR camera. The SX510 gives you F3.4 - F8. Although limited I have found it adequate for present. The kit that it comes with gives you everything you need to get started. It did take me a couple of weeks to realize that the little snap strap on the camera case is meant to snap around the camera neck harness. That's a nice feature - I pull out the camera and don't have to fumble around trying to put the case down - I just let it hang from the neck strap and start shooting. All in all, this is a great little camera for the price and it's a step in the right direction from earlier PowerShot cameras. I would buy it again with no qualms. This will do what I need, while I research Digital SLR's to replace my old film SLR.