4.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom camera, but...
Published 8 months ago by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality - but some annoying quirks.
Published 2 months ago by Thomas Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom camera, but..., March 18, 2014
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX600 HS 16MP Digital Camera (Black) (Electronics)
I've never had a Canon compact zoom camera. I had before compact point and shoots with 5x zoom max, which satisfied me, but at some point you start missing a good zoom at nature shots. So I decided to give it a try. Its 18x zoom with 4.5 to 81mm lens is great, which is said to be 25-450mm according to 35mm film specs - just amazing, not many DSLR camera lens have these specs - eventually you will end up with those huge lens hangin all around your neck costin you 2K or even more and feeling like a weightlifter. BTW this model is similar to cheaper model 280sx with a bit deeper zoom.

After a short play I was pleasantly surprised with zoom lens - I shot everything and at any distance. The camera also has Canon's Hybrid Auto mode, which captures a few seconds of video before each picture you take. At the end of a day, the camera automatically gathers up all clips and photos and puts them into a movie, which is really funny.

Still the only one con (-1 star) which matters to me is the matrix size. The resulting picture in really low light conditions is a bit more noisy (IMHO this is actually the difference between small and large matrices, not all though) than with larger matrix that needs a larger budget. After all, every budget camera today is supplied with small 1/2.3 CCD.

Pros:

1. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear at big zooms. High resolution is also good for producing bigger printouts.

2. 18x Optical Zoom is cool.

3. DIGIC 4+ Image Processor. Mighty enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with low battery consumption. Must be quicker than DIGIC 4, which is currently Canon's efficient processor for budget cameras.

4. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, and take it everywhere.

5. Full HD video with video snapshots called Hybrid Auto is a new feature that I like.

Cons:

1. Still 1/2.3" sensor - entry level CCD providing standard pictures, not of a DSLR quality though.

2. No Aperture priority or shutter priority mode, which might be a good feature while shooting nature.

Summary:

I definitely love the camera. Current price $249 - about right taking into account its competitors. If you're looking for a "medium budget" compact zoom camera taking family photos and events, and especially nature requiring zoom, this is a good choice and you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot SX600 HS - Good basic camera with some odd features, June 6, 2014
P. Schmidt (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have several other Canon digital cameras, and slowly retire old ones to replace them with new ones, all the while keeping three or four of them active. I like the consistency of Canon's user interface, since let's face it.....many digital camera have user interfaces that you will forget how to use if the manual is not handy.

I have one of the ELPH series, which is a gorgeously nice looking camera that is both small and light weight, and it takes nice pictures. But it is reluctant to focus properly in many situations, and is fond of taking photos that look OK on the LCD screen but are actually a bit soft in focus. It also will not adjust focus or exposure during the taking of videos. So, nice but still lacking in some ways.

Then I have a big S3IS which I love, but it is growing a bit long in the tooth in terms of its small LCD screen size and relatively low resolution. However, it excels are being able to take still photos while in the process of also taking videos, something I find very useful, and its ability to freeze action during sports or other 'active' scenes surpasses any other camera that I currently own.

Then there is one PowerShot that I bought a year ago because it takes two AA cells for its battery, as opposed to requiring a proprietary Canon battery, but I see Canon has discontinued that camera line.

So I was looking for a replacement for the ELPH in my lineup.....a basic point-and-shoot with good specs, pocketable size, strong optical zoom, and ability to take camcorder-quality videos including auto adjustment of focus and exposure as the subject of the video changes. The choice came down to the PowerShot SX600 HS and it's mate the SX700 HS, a price difference of about $100. The major differences are that the SX700 has a better image processor and a much stronger optical zoom (30x instead of 18x). After discussing my needs with a Canon product specialist (and Canon remains excellent for how easy they make it to reach real people for getting questions answered, and these people are not in a foreign call center reading from a script), I decided on the SX600.

After taking a few photos around the house to make sure it worked, I took it along as a backup to my S3IS camera on a recent vacation trip. Now that I am back from the trip, I have to confess that I never pulled the S3IS out of the bag, and did all stills and videos using the SX600.

The SX600 is a typical size for its class, measuring 4" wide, 2.4" tall, and 1" deep front to rear (not counting the zoom lens which sticks out quite a ways when the camera is turned on). This is a comfortable pocket size, but the weight of about 6 oz is noticeable and I would not call it exactly light weight. The camera feels substantial and sturdy.

Even though the SX600 uses a typical proprietary flat Canon rechargeable battery, the camera case sports a small bulge in front to help you keep a good grip on it while shooting with only one hand. I found that this bulge was useful, but still just a bit too small to really afford a secure one-handed grip. Still, I applaud Canon for providing anything to help in this regard. The camera case is all plastic; mine is the black finish and it is a simple matte plastic texture. The other color options appear to provide different textures, but I cannot comment further on that.

The front of the SX600 is dominated by the large lens assembly; this is a generously large optical device for a small point-and-shoot, and it is one of the main selling points for the camera. In order to get the lens 'unpacked' for use, the internal motorized mechanism has to go through a series of maneuvers, but this is automatic and quick so you hardly notice it. The same applies to stowing the lens when you turn the power off. The automatic lens cover works very well.

The rear of the SX600 is taken up with the large 3" diagonal wide-viewing-angle color LCD display and the set of buttons and selections. I will not go into detail of the user interface since the SX600 shares the conventional and well established Canon philosophy and controls layout. The only part of this that I found to be different from my other Canon's is the addition of a three-position slide switch that allows changing from normal AUTO picture taking mode to either of two specialty modes. The most notable of these modes is the so-called "Creative Shot" mode, where immediately after you take the intended still photo, the camera automatically takes several more of the same subject in quick succession, each with different 'special effects' settings applied. I found this to be a totally useless feature for anything like normal camera use....not sure who would be likely to appreciate this feature.

I like the pop-up flash. If you push it down, the flash will not fire regardless of the settings, and if you think you might want to have the flash work, you press the button that allows it to pop up, and it will then fire automatically as needed. I much prefer this to having to go into a menu somewhere to turn the flash on and off.

The image sensor is 16 megapixels, which is very good in this price range. You will not even notice this for most normal photos, but if you zoom in to the limits of the optical zoom and then keep zooming in, the extra resolution will help prevent the image from getting grainy.

While the SX600 is both a camcorder and a still camera in a single case, it does have some limitations as described below.

STILL:
- You cannot shoot still photos while the camera is taking a video. However, pressing the shutter button (as if to take a still photo) will immediately stop the video and pressing the shutter a second time will take the still photo. Then press the red VIDEO button again to immediately resume shooting the video, and hopefully you only lost a couple seconds.
- Not as many ways to fine tune the resolution and JPEG compression settings to use for still photos, when compared to my other Canon cameras.....this camera will always take larger sized image files than what I desire for most casual photography.

VIDEO:
- Focus adjusts on the fly as you pan around while shooting videos, but exposure adjustments seem to be sluggish in response (compared to the quick way the camera is able to automatically adjust otherwise).
- The SX600 has effective image stabilization for still photos while zoomed in, but it seemed to me that the image stabilization did not work very well while shooting videos (and maybe the camera does not even have this feature....the manual was not too clear about it).
- Full zoom is possible during videos.
- Unlike still photos, it seems there is no adjustment to how the videos are taken. The aspect ratio and resolution appear to be fixed as 1080p (1920 x 1280) full HD widescreen.
- Unlike still photo mode, where I never experienced a failure to focus perfectly, I encountered many times (but still a small percentage of videos I took on my vacation) when the camera simply refused to focus after I pressed the red VIDEO button. I needed to stop the video, tap the shutter button to 'wake up' the auto focus system, then press the red VIDEO button again to restart the video. No good reason that I can think of for this to happen.
- Unlike a real camcorder, the SX600 automatically creates new video files every few minutes, as opposed to making a single huge video file if you keep on recording without a break. If you edit the separate files together on to a DVD or something like that, it appears that nothing is lost. But it can be alarming to look at the video status on the display when you have been recording a video for maybe 12 minutes, and the counter shows only 2 minutes and 5 seconds, for example (because it already closed off the first 10 minutes as a separate video file).

As with all Canon cameras, you cannot recharge the battery while it is in the camera. You must pull it out and place it in the included charger. I got very long times out of the battery, lots of time with the display on and zooming going on, etc; Still, I recommend buying a second battery in case the first one runs out of power in the middle of something important. It takes a few hours to recharge each battery but I found that one charger could easily charge two batteries overnight (if I set an alarm to wake up and change the battery at 2 AM). Based on my experience, don't waste your time with generic or third-party batteries....just plop down the money for the real Canon battery if you want the same kind of battery life that the included one gives you.

The SX600 has Wi-Fi, and you can use this to send photos and videos to your smart phone or to Wi-Fi equipped printers, computers, etc. However, I have not used the Wi-Fi feature and cannot comment on it. One cute aspect of the Wi-Fi is that you can apparently use your smart phone to remotely trigger the camera to take a photo; useful for group shots and so on.

The SX600 is fairly basic in terms of special features and being able to shoot in unusual situations. It is primarily a basic point-and-shoot. However, you can get some access to basic manual controls if you are so inclined to use them.

Based on my experience so far, filling up six SD cards of 8 GB each on my vacation (lots of than being video), I have few real complaints with the SX600, and it has become my main camera for everyday and vacation photography and video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera!, April 16, 2014
We tried a couple of different brands when our last PowerShot broke and finally went back to the SX600.

There is a huge difference in the picture quality - especially when there is only a liitle bit of light - compared to other brands. Until now I think it is the best point and shoot of its class. The difference can be seen when you zoom into the pics on the computer. The pics are very sharp and the colors are "relistic" under different conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best point and shoot camers I have used!, May 4, 2014
I love this camera, all the features are great! My favorite feature is the continuous shooting mode that takes 6 different shots and each picture is different. Color changes, close up, vertical to horizontal and so on. I think it's great! The photo quality is great!
I have seen reviews that pics are blurry or out of focus. I was told to make sure the sd card is good and I am sorry I can't tell you what the guy told me. The salesman at Best Buy where I purchased this camera had told me some people come in complaining their pics don't look good, well it sometimes depends on your sd card. Easiest thing ask questions. And I think it's also the person behind the camera that don't know how to properly use a digital camera.
I have only had my camera for 4 days, I have taken over 300 pics in the 4 days. My battery is still at a full charge! This is a perfect camera for taking everyday pics of your kids playing, your animal doing something you have to share with everyone! Take it to birthday parties, or at the zoo. I don't think it is made for the zoom, if your out in the mountains and want to zoom in a bird that's far away, I don't think this is the camera choice. Or if you want to just have fun taking pics on the continuous mode to get different effects. Every one will have an opinion, but only you can really decide if this is a great camera and to me it is. I have a Canon Rebel DSLR, I have the Canon Powershot sx20 that I use for camping trips for the zoom. I use the DSLR for our pics I use in christmas cards. And I have 2 other small point and shoot camers and this Canon out of the 3 is the best one, especially for indoor photo's!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality - but some annoying quirks., September 6, 2014
Nice feel, seems sturdy. Like the picture quality. The menus are better than the Casio it replaced, but still not intuitive (at least to me) and extremely complex. Doesn't come with a printed manual - and believe me, you'll need one! Very big zoom range, but a lot of the telephoto range is only useful if the camera is on a tripod or other support. The flash "pops up" out of the body, but I find that when I hold the camera naturally, my finger holds the flash down in the unit. I guess it isn't common for cameras in this category, but I wish it would store in RAW format. The wifi transfer is simple and flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for any amount., October 14, 2014
I am a professional photographer and have expensive equipment I use. Thing is when traveling I don't need a heavy camera and lens hanging on my neck to get a snap shot. My iPhone does most of my needs but is limited with zooming and set up. Anyway I got this camera just in time for a trip to England to visit my wife"s relatives and have a holiday. This camera did the job. We attended a wedding for her cousin and I was able to make a decent video of the ceremony with a bright window behind them. I took many photos of our travels and they came out fine. Like any camera you can do wonders in photo shop if a photo needs to be cleaned up. This little guy has a powerful zoom and was so user friendly. It hung on my belt ready for use in a small case I bought and was handy and useful. Battery seemed to last forever even with flash. I had my iPad with me and just downloaded the bulk of the photos with a SD card reader. If I wanted to put a photo on Facebook the bluetooth connection and wifi between the camera and my iPhone worked perfect. Overall a great little product.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing point and shot., June 29, 2014
This is a simple to use point and shot. It has an amazing distance with its lens. The wireless function to upload photos was simple and works great. It is a great little camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good camera, October 3, 2014
We have only had this camera for a couple of weeks, but I like it so far. The camera tells you when you need to raise the flash to take a picture. I need this feature as I am not used to having to raise the flash. It is an extra step that you have to take to take a picture so I guess that is a con. The flash does not get in my way when taking pictures as I read in some reviews. There is a significant lag time from taking one picture to the next. The camera processes the photo for a bit before you can take another one. The big thing for me is taking action photos as I have kids that play sports. The camera seems to take these very well. This is a huge plus for me as my kids never stand still. I have taken night pictures that turn out very well as well. I have no issue with the battery life either which I also read in other reviews. I actually have not had to recharge it yet. We have had several sports events and every day usage for a couple of weeks without having to recharge it. Overall, I definitely like the camera and would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Camera, June 2, 2014
I used this camera a lot on my recent two week vacation and the pictures and video were always excellent. The video on my big screen looks outstanding, which was one feature I really counted on from this camera since my old 12MP Canon still took great pictures after 6 years. The other features I wanted that were not available combined prior to this release in one Canon point-and-shoot camera along with the Full HD video were 18x zoom, 16MP and the WIFI. The only knock would be the battery life is not as good as it could be, but then the recent reviews on other new Canons warned me about this, so I merely bought a second knock-off which was well worth it. Don't let this affect your decision to buy this camera.

I can only guess that some bad comments are related to reviewers that wanted to knock this camera for their own reason...some comments are so ridiculous they can be quickly dismissed. Please do and go buy this camera, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars this here camera takes awesome photographs for a compact camera, October 23, 2014
Dale T. Brose "nascardog" (Highland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Bestest bang for my money. I'm loving on this camera for it's quality photographs considering the compact size of the unit. This is my 4th Canon Power Shot camera, so obviously I'm a fan of this camera model. The only irritation I have with this camera over the previous cameras is that the battery was changed for this latest model, so the spare batteries that I purchased for the previous models had to be sent to the recycling facility. Otherwise, this here camera takes awesome photographs for a compact camera, even at low light levels. Plus the high native optical zoom helps my photos to have less pixelation when I have to zoom in on a specific area of the photo to do some touch up. For 20 sawbucks you cain't go wrong with this camera. Happy shooting!

Canon PowerShot SX600 HS 16MP Digital Camera (Black)
$249.00 $199.00