4.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom camera, but...
Published 7 months ago by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality - but some annoying quirks.
Published 1 month ago by Thomas Jackson

4.0 out of 5 stars Great zoom camera, but..., March 18, 2014
I've never had a Canon compact zoom camera. I had before compact point and shoots with 5x zoom max, which satisfied me, but at some point you start missing a good zoom at nature shots. So I decided to give it a try. Its 18x zoom with 4.5 to 81mm lens is great, which is said to be 25-450mm according to 35mm film specs - just amazing, not many DSLR camera lens have these specs - eventually you will end up with those huge lens hangin all around your neck costin you 2K or even more and feeling like a weightlifter. BTW this model is similar to cheaper model 280sx with a bit deeper zoom.

After a short play I was pleasantly surprised with zoom lens - I shot everything and at any distance. The camera also has Canon's Hybrid Auto mode, which captures a few seconds of video before each picture you take. At the end of a day, the camera automatically gathers up all clips and photos and puts them into a movie, which is really funny.

Still the only one con (-1 star) which matters to me is the matrix size. The resulting picture in really low light conditions is a bit more noisy (IMHO this is actually the difference between small and large matrices, not all though) than with larger matrix that needs a larger budget. After all, every budget camera today is supplied with small 1/2.3 CCD.

Pros:

1. 16.0 Megapixels, with loads of resolution pictures are still clear at big zooms. High resolution is also good for producing bigger printouts.

2. 18x Optical Zoom is cool.

3. DIGIC 4+ Image Processor. Mighty enough to give you advanced system options, provide quick-shoot with low battery consumption. Must be quicker than DIGIC 4, which is currently Canon's efficient processor for budget cameras.

4. Very lightweight, just put it into your pocket, and take it everywhere.

5. Full HD video with video snapshots called Hybrid Auto is a new feature that I like.

Cons:

1. Still 1/2.3" sensor - entry level CCD providing standard pictures, not of a DSLR quality though.

2. No Aperture priority or shutter priority mode, which might be a good feature while shooting nature.

Summary:

I definitely love the camera. Current price $249 - about right taking into account its competitors. If you're looking for a "medium budget" compact zoom camera taking family photos and events, and especially nature requiring zoom, this is a good choice and you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot SX600 HS - Good basic camera with some odd features, June 6, 2014
P. Schmidt (Chicago, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have several other Canon digital cameras, and slowly retire old ones to replace them with new ones, all the while keeping three or four of them active. I like the consistency of Canon's user interface, since let's face it.....many digital camera have user interfaces that you will forget how to use if the manual is not handy.

I have one of the ELPH series, which is a gorgeously nice looking camera that is both small and light weight, and it takes nice pictures. But it is reluctant to focus properly in many situations, and is fond of taking photos that look OK on the LCD screen but are actually a bit soft in focus. It also will not adjust focus or exposure during the taking of videos. So, nice but still lacking in some ways.

Then I have a big S3IS which I love, but it is growing a bit long in the tooth in terms of its small LCD screen size and relatively low resolution. However, it excels are being able to take still photos while in the process of also taking videos, something I find very useful, and its ability to freeze action during sports or other 'active' scenes surpasses any other camera that I currently own.

Then there is one PowerShot that I bought a year ago because it takes two AA cells for its battery, as opposed to requiring a proprietary Canon battery, but I see Canon has discontinued that camera line.

So I was looking for a replacement for the ELPH in my lineup.....a basic point-and-shoot with good specs, pocketable size, strong optical zoom, and ability to take camcorder-quality videos including auto adjustment of focus and exposure as the subject of the video changes. The choice came down to the PowerShot SX600 HS and it's mate the SX700 HS, a price difference of about $100. The major differences are that the SX700 has a better image processor and a much stronger optical zoom (30x instead of 18x). After discussing my needs with a Canon product specialist (and Canon remains excellent for how easy they make it to reach real people for getting questions answered, and these people are not in a foreign call center reading from a script), I decided on the SX600.

After taking a few photos around the house to make sure it worked, I took it along as a backup to my S3IS camera on a recent vacation trip. Now that I am back from the trip, I have to confess that I never pulled the S3IS out of the bag, and did all stills and videos using the SX600.

The SX600 is a typical size for its class, measuring 4" wide, 2.4" tall, and 1" deep front to rear (not counting the zoom lens which sticks out quite a ways when the camera is turned on). This is a comfortable pocket size, but the weight of about 6 oz is noticeable and I would not call it exactly light weight. The camera feels substantial and sturdy.

Even though the SX600 uses a typical proprietary flat Canon rechargeable battery, the camera case sports a small bulge in front to help you keep a good grip on it while shooting with only one hand. I found that this bulge was useful, but still just a bit too small to really afford a secure one-handed grip. Still, I applaud Canon for providing anything to help in this regard. The camera case is all plastic; mine is the black finish and it is a simple matte plastic texture. The other color options appear to provide different textures, but I cannot comment further on that.

The front of the SX600 is dominated by the large lens assembly; this is a generously large optical device for a small point-and-shoot, and it is one of the main selling points for the camera. In order to get the lens 'unpacked' for use, the internal motorized mechanism has to go through a series of maneuvers, but this is automatic and quick so you hardly notice it. The same applies to stowing the lens when you turn the power off. The automatic lens cover works very well.

The rear of the SX600 is taken up with the large 3" diagonal wide-viewing-angle color LCD display and the set of buttons and selections. I will not go into detail of the user interface since the SX600 shares the conventional and well established Canon philosophy and controls layout. The only part of this that I found to be different from my other Canon's is the addition of a three-position slide switch that allows changing from normal AUTO picture taking mode to either of two specialty modes. The most notable of these modes is the so-called "Creative Shot" mode, where immediately after you take the intended still photo, the camera automatically takes several more of the same subject in quick succession, each with different 'special effects' settings applied. I found this to be a totally useless feature for anything like normal camera use....not sure who would be likely to appreciate this feature.

I like the pop-up flash. If you push it down, the flash will not fire regardless of the settings, and if you think you might want to have the flash work, you press the button that allows it to pop up, and it will then fire automatically as needed. I much prefer this to having to go into a menu somewhere to turn the flash on and off.

The image sensor is 16 megapixels, which is very good in this price range. You will not even notice this for most normal photos, but if you zoom in to the limits of the optical zoom and then keep zooming in, the extra resolution will help prevent the image from getting grainy.

While the SX600 is both a camcorder and a still camera in a single case, it does have some limitations as described below.

STILL:
- You cannot shoot still photos while the camera is taking a video. However, pressing the shutter button (as if to take a still photo) will immediately stop the video and pressing the shutter a second time will take the still photo. Then press the red VIDEO button again to immediately resume shooting the video, and hopefully you only lost a couple seconds.
- Not as many ways to fine tune the resolution and JPEG compression settings to use for still photos, when compared to my other Canon cameras.....this camera will always take larger sized image files than what I desire for most casual photography.

VIDEO:
- Focus adjusts on the fly as you pan around while shooting videos, but exposure adjustments seem to be sluggish in response (compared to the quick way the camera is able to automatically adjust otherwise).
- The SX600 has effective image stabilization for still photos while zoomed in, but it seemed to me that the image stabilization did not work very well while shooting videos (and maybe the camera does not even have this feature....the manual was not too clear about it).
- Full zoom is possible during videos.
- Unlike still photos, it seems there is no adjustment to how the videos are taken. The aspect ratio and resolution appear to be fixed as 1080p (1920 x 1280) full HD widescreen.
- Unlike still photo mode, where I never experienced a failure to focus perfectly, I encountered many times (but still a small percentage of videos I took on my vacation) when the camera simply refused to focus after I pressed the red VIDEO button. I needed to stop the video, tap the shutter button to 'wake up' the auto focus system, then press the red VIDEO button again to restart the video. No good reason that I can think of for this to happen.
- Unlike a real camcorder, the SX600 automatically creates new video files every few minutes, as opposed to making a single huge video file if you keep on recording without a break. If you edit the separate files together on to a DVD or something like that, it appears that nothing is lost. But it can be alarming to look at the video status on the display when you have been recording a video for maybe 12 minutes, and the counter shows only 2 minutes and 5 seconds, for example (because it already closed off the first 10 minutes as a separate video file).

As with all Canon cameras, you cannot recharge the battery while it is in the camera. You must pull it out and place it in the included charger. I got very long times out of the battery, lots of time with the display on and zooming going on, etc; Still, I recommend buying a second battery in case the first one runs out of power in the middle of something important. It takes a few hours to recharge each battery but I found that one charger could easily charge two batteries overnight (if I set an alarm to wake up and change the battery at 2 AM). Based on my experience, don't waste your time with generic or third-party batteries....just plop down the money for the real Canon battery if you want the same kind of battery life that the included one gives you.

The SX600 has Wi-Fi, and you can use this to send photos and videos to your smart phone or to Wi-Fi equipped printers, computers, etc. However, I have not used the Wi-Fi feature and cannot comment on it. One cute aspect of the Wi-Fi is that you can apparently use your smart phone to remotely trigger the camera to take a photo; useful for group shots and so on.

The SX600 is fairly basic in terms of special features and being able to shoot in unusual situations. It is primarily a basic point-and-shoot. However, you can get some access to basic manual controls if you are so inclined to use them.

Based on my experience so far, filling up six SD cards of 8 GB each on my vacation (lots of than being video), I have few real complaints with the SX600, and it has become my main camera for everyday and vacation photography and video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera!, April 16, 2014
We tried a couple of different brands when our last PowerShot broke and finally went back to the SX600.

There is a huge difference in the picture quality - especially when there is only a liitle bit of light - compared to other brands. Until now I think it is the best point and shoot of its class. The difference can be seen when you zoom into the pics on the computer. The pics are very sharp and the colors are "relistic" under different conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best point and shoot camers I have used!, May 4, 2014
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX600 HS 16MP Digital Camera (Red) (Electronics)
I love this camera, all the features are great! My favorite feature is the continuous shooting mode that takes 6 different shots and each picture is different. Color changes, close up, vertical to horizontal and so on. I think it's great! The photo quality is great!
I have seen reviews that pics are blurry or out of focus. I was told to make sure the sd card is good and I am sorry I can't tell you what the guy told me. The salesman at Best Buy where I purchased this camera had told me some people come in complaining their pics don't look good, well it sometimes depends on your sd card. Easiest thing ask questions. And I think it's also the person behind the camera that don't know how to properly use a digital camera.
I have only had my camera for 4 days, I have taken over 300 pics in the 4 days. My battery is still at a full charge! This is a perfect camera for taking everyday pics of your kids playing, your animal doing something you have to share with everyone! Take it to birthday parties, or at the zoo. I don't think it is made for the zoom, if your out in the mountains and want to zoom in a bird that's far away, I don't think this is the camera choice. Or if you want to just have fun taking pics on the continuous mode to get different effects. Every one will have an opinion, but only you can really decide if this is a great camera and to me it is. I have a Canon Rebel DSLR, I have the Canon Powershot sx20 that I use for camping trips for the zoom. I use the DSLR for our pics I use in christmas cards. And I have 2 other small point and shoot camers and this Canon out of the 3 is the best one, especially for indoor photo's!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing point and shot., June 29, 2014
This is a simple to use point and shot. It has an amazing distance with its lens. The wireless function to upload photos was simple and works great. It is a great little camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Camera, June 2, 2014
I used this camera a lot on my recent two week vacation and the pictures and video were always excellent. The video on my big screen looks outstanding, which was one feature I really counted on from this camera since my old 12MP Canon still took great pictures after 6 years. The other features I wanted that were not available combined prior to this release in one Canon point-and-shoot camera along with the Full HD video were 18x zoom, 16MP and the WIFI. The only knock would be the battery life is not as good as it could be, but then the recent reviews on other new Canons warned me about this, so I merely bought a second knock-off which was well worth it. Don't let this affect your decision to buy this camera.

I can only guess that some bad comments are related to reviewers that wanted to knock this camera for their own reason...some comments are so ridiculous they can be quickly dismissed. Please do and go buy this camera, you won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality - but some annoying quirks., September 6, 2014
Nice feel, seems sturdy. Like the picture quality. The menus are better than the Casio it replaced, but still not intuitive (at least to me) and extremely complex. Doesn't come with a printed manual - and believe me, you'll need one! Very big zoom range, but a lot of the telephoto range is only useful if the camera is on a tripod or other support. The flash "pops up" out of the body, but I find that when I hold the camera naturally, my finger holds the flash down in the unit. I guess it isn't common for cameras in this category, but I wish it would store in RAW format. The wifi transfer is simple and flawless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - super zoom, WiFi and flash, September 25, 2014
The Zoom level is awesome. And the network capabilities (which I thought I would never use) are great and easy to set up. In just a few minutes you can connect the camera to your iPad (without using an external WiFi if there is not one available) and view your shots for the day on the iPad rather than the small screen on the camera. This is a great way to share your experiences after a day of shooting then sitting in a restaurant that evening with friends. The popup flash is great too; now you never have to fear the flash will go off in a situation where flash is forbidden. If it's not up it wont flash and it will never raise by itself; you have to manually raise it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, with great results, July 30, 2014
Great little camera. I had a Canon before (it was stolen) so I already knew pretty much how it worked. Takes lovely pics, even with my slight tremor. I haven't used the wifi function yet - I find it easy just to transfer what's on the data card to my computer. Great camera for novices like me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed in Basic Features, October 6, 2014
Beach Wife (SoCal United States) - See all my reviews
I used the Canon PowerShot SX600 HS for 3 weeks. I love the slim styling and 18X zoom. However, there were some serious flaws that I couldn't abide. I bought this camera to replace an old Panasonic Lumix whose telephoto lens broke. There is no Lumix or Panasonic available to replace my old one. I wanted a basic point and shoot camera with a minimum telephoto of 10x. My Lumix had a nice menu on a wheel for movies and various types of photos. These options on the wheel made shooting and adjusting easy.

There is a shooting mode manual selector on the back of the Canon but it is limited to Auto, Creative Shot and Hybrid Auto. Many reviewers loved Creative Shot and Hybrid Auto but I thought both were gimmicky and I'll never use them. Creative Shot makes several different photos from one photo you take. I was never impressed with my photo being cropped, changed to black and white or tinted. The Hybrid Auto makes a movie of a few seconds before every shot you take. That's cute but you don't want a 4 second movie of people getting ready to pose and then putting all the little movies together. I just don't get the appeal. I'd rather have the fixed buttons on the back of the camera used for everyday shooting options rather than having to access the digital menus.

You must manually raise the flash which was a hassle. Once the flash is selected, the Canon took over twice as long as the Lumix to shoot. This means I'll miss some great photos. The instruction manual online states that I should have three flash settings: Auto, On and Slow Synchro. However, my camera has only Auto and On. I would like Slow Synchro and am disappointed that the manual is in error about this feature.

The camera is not intuitive or user friendly. It was difficult to navigate the Function button and the menu. Even with the manual in hand, I had trouble. At one point, my camera was set to Fisheye Effect and I couldn't get it back to Auto. I decided to reset the camera to the factory default. I went to the alphabetical index and there was no page number to do this. There was an item for Defaults - Reset All but no page number opposite. I know there's a way to do it but I didn't feel like reading the 160 page manual after failing to find it under the most logical headings I could think of. I finally got the camera back to Auto but I have no idea how.

Even with the camera on Auto, the screen icons rotate among Auto, Macro (a flower) and a circle with lines (motion on a sunny day?). I don't know why the icons are rotating or how to stop them although I've tried to reset the Auto with the Function button many times with no change.

Another comment about Auto: The auto focus can sometimes be tricky. I took a photo of my husband standing next to a fire engine. He was standing to side of the door. The auto focus frame was around the door and not on my husband. I tried to shift the camera to center the focus on him but the frame kept moving left towards the door. After several more attempts, I gave up and took the photo. The result was that my husband was out of focus. With my Lumix, I press the shutter half way down, focus and then move to set the shot. I always get photos in focus. I'm sure there must be a trick to stopping the focus from shifting around but I don't know what it is and I'm frustrated enough at this point not to care because I'll be returning the camera.

In summary, this camera is small and sleek with a great zoom. However, it has many tricked up features I will never use and it is not easy to use if you aren't used to Canon cameras. It has many great features (such as the ability to edit your movies and take time delayed photos with you in them by someone winking or entering the frame) but I doubt that I'd use these either --- and I certainly couldn't use them without the manual in hand.

Canon PowerShot SX600 HS 16MP Digital Camera (Red)
$249.00 $199.00