5.0 out of 5 stars The best camera to have...
Published on May 21, 2010 by Bob Tobias

Published on March 28, 2010 by D. Kartman

5.0 out of 5 stars The best camera to have..., May 21, 2010
...is one you'll have with you. The nice thing about the Canon ELPH series is they easily fit into your pocket, are well built/designed, don't cost a lot, come with a boatload of features, and take great pictures. The SD1300, the latest in the ELPH line continues in that tradition, adding considerable additional sophistication and sacrificing some useful functionality in the interest of cutting cost.

It is a small camera and carries with it the baggage that comes with the convenience of having to carry so little baggage. (sorry, couldn't resist) None of the issues raised, given that they comes as part of the convenience trade-off made me consider anything other than the 5-star rating this camera deserves.

- Many of the functions are only accessible through menus, sometimes several levels deep. The good new is the Automatic and scene modes are pretty good (as long as you spend a few minutes reviewing what they really do). This camera is not intended to be used in aperture or shutter priority, let alone full manual.

- The battery life might be shorter than you expect. That's a trade-off for having a camera that's small and light; you get a battery that is small and light. One thing you can do is get a spare battery. That is good advice for any camera. Another thing that will help is to keep the display off as much as possible. That means using the monitor as little as possible. The "sad" part is that Canon chose to drop the optical viewfinder in this model. That means a camera that is simpler and less expensive to make but will go through batteries quicker because you must use the display when taking picture.

- The camera response is a bit slow for effectively capturing children and pets. The trick for doing that is to either have a great sense of timing and a shutter that reacts instantly or a reasonably fast ( > 4x / sec ) burst mode. This camera has neither.

Some other suggestions that apply:

- Use the lowest ISO available given your requirement for either aperture or shutter speed. To avoid getting technical, higher ISO always introduces higher noise. At issue is when it becomes noticeable. In newer dSLR cameras you can get over 1000, maybe well over depending on the camera, before the noise becomes noticeable. For this camera keeping it at or below 200 is a good idea.

- Don't use in-camera sharpening. Digital pictures will almost always benefit from sharpening but you are better off doing it with a photo editing program. Computer-based algorithms tend to be more sophisticated and you can better judge the results on your monitor as opposed to the camera LCD.

- If you want more vivid colors and have the choice use sRGB instead of Adobe RGB. While you get fewer colors they are distributed over a wider range. They are also render better on computer monitors, many commercial labs, and any other place your pictures are likely to show up.

Finally, I've found the Caselogic QPB-1 Compact Digital Camera Case (Black/Gray) is just the right size for this camera. It's semi-rigid so you get a fair amount of protection but doesn't add a lot of bulk. It's made even better by using one of these, Nite Ize SB1-2PK-01 Size-1 S-Biner, Black, 2-Pack, to secure it to a belt loop.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon PowerShot SD1300IS, April 4, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 4x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Silver) (Camera)
I purchased this camera as a replacement to my Canon PowerShot SD600. The main reason I chose to replace it was for the IS feature. When I purchased to SD600 it was on sale and the IS features on cameras were an expensive option on upgraded models. I have to say the feature performs as expected. Obviously it's not going to do much if there is a lot of camera shake, but it does the job for what it's intended to do. Picture quality is excellent. Low light does well despite the reviews I've heard. Manual settings do just as well as auto settings. I like the playback button that lets you review pics rather than having to switch the camera into another mode. When taking multiple shots the lag time between pics is minimal. Videos work well with it but there is that pesky no in and out zoom during a video. Sound quality was surprisingly good with video mode as well. It takes outdoor video well with little wind noise. I was a bit cautious about buying a camera with no viewfinder as my last camera had one, but let's face it, I hardly used it when I had it. Insisting on a camera with a viewfinder also significantly limited my choices for point and shoots. I'm satisfied with no viewfinder and this camera is exactly what I expect in a good point and shoot. I considered the SD1200IS since it was on sale and a little less expensive but I figured for a few extra features, it's worth the extra $50. Battery life is great! Even under moderate to heavy use it lasted all night and part of the next day. I'd suggest always having another battery pack as a backup though as you never know when you might need it. I would recommend this camera to anyone looking for a quality point and shoot. For the price I don't think you can ask for much more in a compact digital camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lens flare problem...but if you get a decent copy it might work., March 28, 2010
Our copy of the 1300 has a flare problem while a direct light source is in the picture- a top to bottom light streak appears in the image. We have tried everything from white balance setting, to angles, to color. In every image there is a VERY visible vertical 'ghost' flare from top to bottom. It is only fixed by using the flash (which is inadequate in modest sized rooms) or shielding the lens from the light source with your hand. In video mode it is almost impossible to avoid, and it looks terrible. I think (hope) this is a bad copy and not indicative of Canon quality in point and shoots. We have some decent experience with photography, so I don't think it's user error. Definitely expected more for the money and from Canon.

Update:
After a little more playing around with the 1300 we decided to return it. The lens flare was not as bad after reviewing the still images but it was still there, and the movies were still not acceptable quality. While back at the store the decision was whether or not to get another of the same copy or try a different model. Opted for the different model after remembering the issues with other Canon point and shoots. Took home the Nikon S4000 and have been happy with it so far. Nikon Coolpix S4000 12 MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Vibration Reduction (VR) Zoom and 3.0-Inch Touch-Panel LCD (Silver)

Here is a comparison of the two after about a week:

Pros from Canon 1300:
-Familiar Canon menus and more simple menu similar to Canon's SLR's.
-Power button, shutter release and zoom ring were all in a comfortable layout and good spot for my hands, which aren't huge for a guy, but I just can't comfortably hold Canon's 780,940,1400 point and shoot bodies for long.
- This is nerdy, but the 1300 is capable of using the SDXC cards, a step up from SDHC, that will become a standard sooner or later.
-AutoFocus was pretty good for point and shoot, but not what I would call lightning fast.
-12 MP and a decent image sensor, which is about the best a point and shoot can benefit from anyway.
-The battery is removed from the camera to charge in a wall adaptor, which means you can carry spare batteries and keep the camera free to use.

Cons from the 1300:
-More expensive than comparable cameras.
-First copy I had ended up with a lens issue. Nit- picky I know, but when you pay for the best you want the best. This spooked me away from returning it for the same model, and started my looking elsewhere.
-No noticeable improvements over Canon cameras released in the last two years. Tech specs are better, but hard to see the benefits over say the 1200 model.

Pros from the Nikon:
-More features, and for a better overall value than the Canon (same price, but better value). Body is similar size, and the power, zoom and shutter release are all same location as the Canon.
-Super cool touch screen, which is maybe a bit unnecessary, but hey, it's cool.
-Fast start up, for those "Wow, look at that!" moments.
-Tons of auto shooting modes (maybe too many) but handy if you are a person that wants the camera to think for you.

Cons from Nikon:
-AutoFocus can lag a bit if you are zoomed in.
-720p video is really not that great. The ISO, or the write ability/speed of the camera to its sensor is not good enough to make the 720p work in room lighting conditions (haven't tried in outdoor light yet). The resolution is top to bottom 720p alright, but the picture is grainy because the camera's little sensor just can't handle that much that fast in moderate to poor light. This is a biggy too, because some people may buy a point shoot with 720p just to get HD. Our copy of this camera is better indoors at the next lower video setting, 640x480.
-You must plug in the camera to charge it. Can't take the battery out to charge.

Hopefully this long update is helpful. I didn't want to jump all over this little camera for a flaw and then not give further explanation. I think the Canon is a fair 3 stars, but not really better than that. After all, this is just a point and shoot, and for what it's supposed to be, it's fair at it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Home Run By Canon, March 31, 2010
Nobody does digital point and shoot as well as Canon in my opinion, and the SD1300IS is just another example of maximum feature/functionality in tiny little package. I have owned or still own the Canon S3IS, S5IS & Rebel XS. Those three cameras are Ginormous compared with the SD1300IS.

I bought this camera for my wife to carry in her purse so she can shoot pictures and video of the kids while they're out and about, or when she drops in on them at their school. No camera bag needed, this camera fits in a zipped interior pocket of her purse.

I gave it to her and she was able to successfully power it on/off, shoot pictures, shoot video, zoom, delete bad shots, and navigate the menu system without referring to the manual. The point here is if you currently own a Canon point and shoot and are looking for an upgrade, the learning curve on the SD1300IS is almost zero. If you've never owned a Canon point and shoot, you will figure this one out very easily.

The 12MP pictures are stunning, but to be honest I can't tell the difference between the ones that are 12MP and the ones that are 8MP on my Canon S5IS. The pictures the Rebel XS takes are a notch above the others, definitely a noticeable difference there.

The video quality is 30fps 640x480 (plenty), same as my S5IS. The image stabilization is a must for this to be of any use, and works like a champ. A 4GB SDHC card holds about 32 minutes worth of video, 8GB 64 minutes, 16GB more than 2 hours! The video is very easy to transfer to your computer and burn to a DVD or upload to Facebook using the included USB cable. There is also an included cable that allows you to play video on your TV via the yellow video cable port.

The appearance of the camera is so cool. I bought my wife the green one, and it looks great. I like how the lens completely retracts into the body and covers itself with a protective layer. A handy camera strap is also included, which is good because this thing is so small I could see it slipping out of your hands.

All in all, a very easy to use, functional, attractive camera that I have no hesitation recommending!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but bad lens mechanism, November 10, 2010
T. D. Kramer (Tulsa, OK United States) - See all my reviews
The little Canons have been great cameras. The picture quality is phenomenal as is the ease of use. The issue is that my SD1100 and SD1300 both had lenses that froze halfway out after the warrantly period was over. The expense to fix it is half the price of a new camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels solid and takes great pics!, August 30, 2010
Bought the SD1300 specifically to have a small camera while traveling across the country following Route 66! (I have a Canon S5IS which I took to Germany and Italy, but found it inconvenient to carry daily.) THIS camera takes exceptional pictures and video, is convenient to carry and the battery lasts for DAYS before needing a charge. On a week trip to Maryland I did find the VIDEOS I shot at full zoom were blurry, but I didn't notice it until I downloaded them to view on my computer. Only for that reason did I not give it 5 stars. Full zoom PICTURES are fine. I love using the SD Card to directly download pictures (but then, that's a positive point of my computer). I did purchase an extra 4gb SD card but have not had to use it yet. (I have over 600 pictures and probably 40 minutes of video on the first one.) I do suggest purchasing a camera case of some sort for protection. I found one at Target which is just a padded cloth type, and it prevents the camera from getting scratched up in my purse but doesn't take up much room. I do put the strap over my wrist while shooting because it is so small you can drop it easily. Buying from Amazon.com allows me to purchase a really GREAT product saving the tax I would pay at a retailer, and it ships for FREE. It's well worth the price, and I see it's even dropped $10 from the July 2 price. Pick your favorite color and buy it if you're looking for a small, convenient camera that takes great pics at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Point n Shoot, Not Meant to be the Hubble Telescope!, June 21, 2010
C'mon, guys! It's a point and shoot micro camera, not the Hubble Telescope so don't expect D-SLR build and features from this little cool baby. The lens is good, the handling is good, on/off is good, it fits in my back pants pocket. I keep the strap on it so I can pull it out quickly. I also put a screen protector on the LCD to protect it from scratches. Due to all the scrathces on the plastic sheet, I change the protector every few months. I replaced my older canon SD700IS with the new SD1300 since I wanted a new pocket camera. I use my Nikon D-SLR for all my heavier shoots but always keep my mini Canon in my pocket just in case. You can't go wrong for $179. This is first camera I've had without a view finder but I'm told that change is good and I shouldn't drug myself to overcome the lack of the peephole. Yes, I used to be a pro. And remember the adage, "It's the photographer, stupid, not just the camera." Oh yeah, the reason I didn't get the SD1400 is that I'm an old timer and need buttons to push rather than a touch screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can never go wrong with a Canon, March 15, 2010
C. Calvano (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this camera after my Canon A540 Powershot lost its shutter button because I dropped it on a marble floor. I wanted a Canon because I've always been happy with them. Got the SD1300 SI and have to say, I love it! I took pictures of my dog running through wildflowers in the wooded area near my home. They look awesome! The pictures were clear, crisp and vivid. What I like about the Canon is that it is versatile to the owner. It's easy to use when you want it to be, but it has all the settings available if you want to be "artsy." I mostly use the Program setting because it allows me to set the ISO and flash balances, but I sometimes use the auto options provided. I tried them all on the SD1300 and it was good, even better than my A540 (which I still love and plan on repairing).

I recommend this camera if you want something compact with plenty of options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but beauty flaws, August 27, 2010
I took this camera to my over-America road trip. The camera saw pretty hard conditions - 99 degrees of heat, dropping into sand, 3000 pictures over 3 weeks. It just went on-off all the time, I put a weight of a full year of use onto it over 3 weeks.

Works great. Amazing photos, it is easy to use, automatic regimes like macro work brilliant. Even through car windows on a speed of 70mph, it takes pictures like standing on a place. You could never tell they are made from a car ride. Brilliant photos, great camera.

1 minus. Beauty flaws come up quickly. It is easy to scratch it and after 3 weeks of use, it looked rubbish. Like a 3 year old camera. I have never seen this before. So if you are interested in aesthetics, buy some other camera. If you want to have awesome, truly brilliant pictures from a small and compact camera, buy this one. Photos wise it is the best you could buy, if you like to hang out and show your fancy equipment in a big crowd, this camera is not looking fancy over longer period of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Canon SD 1300IS, November 9, 2010
This camera froze up after 1 month and had to be sent back to Canon. The lens would stick in the half way position and could not be retracted. I had similar problems with a previous Powershot model, but unfortunately it happened after 1 year and Canon would not fix it under warranty.

Rate and Discover Movies