Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 5, 2012
I bought this camera based on prior experience with ELPHs and a raving review from the salesperson in the store. I wish I would have done some research before buying but I had left my other camera in my office and needed to take some photos on a jobsite 4 hours from home.

I'll start by saying that it does, for the most part, take very good looking photos in pretty much any situation and in any light. The zoom is great and the stabilization is actually very good even when zoomed in. I rarely get fuzzy or out-of-focus shots with this camera. And the focus is very fast and usually pretty accurate.

I actually really like the screen. It's nice and big and I thought the touchscreen was great once I figured it out. I will admit that the menus are not set up the way I would have done it but now I kind of know where to go and it works fine. No, it is not an iPhone/iPad like screen but I think it works well. If the menu system/software was more intuitive it would be a great way to control the camera.

My favorite thing about the touchscreen is moving the focus...one tap and the focus point for the camera can be changed. Very convenient.

I also really like the size and weight - it is small but not too small. Yes, it is heavier than a lot of cameras in this class but it feels solid and well built. I like the overall feel.

I also like the HDMI out. This thing takes pretty good videos (including iframe) and the HDMI out is great for sharing them quickly.

Now, things I don't like:
1) I hate how the photo playback is set up. It is way more difficult than it should be...especially considering that this is a touch screen.

2) Battery life sucks...especially if you want to use WiFi. If you are going to change to a new style battery why not make it one that packs some power. These little canisters suck.

3) WiFi is a waste of time, battery life and money. Transfer is PAINFULLY slow and unless you have your camera plugged in you are going to drain your battery by the time the photos are uploaded. So why have a wireless transfer if you have to plug in for power? I'll be pulling the card and using my card reader....every time.

4) I hate where they put the view photos button..right next to the power button. Stupid.

5) No easy way to force a flash. You can disable the flash in two taps but there is no easy way to force a flash. That should be a one step option. Even "low light" setting doesn't automatically force a flash or give you an option for one.

6) There are many nice "shooting modes" but you can't combine them. So if you want to do more than one thing you have to go in a manually program. The "Smart Auto" is actually very good for most situations but when you need to do something special it can take a couple of minutes to get it set up.

7) Price. If this camera worked as well as the marketing materials says it does than the price would be fine. However, I don't think it lives up to it's billing and, accordingly, is not worth the extra money.

Will I keep it? Yes, because I was too lazy to take it back within the 30 days and because I am now used to it. The pictures and videos are very good but I still find myself cursing at the camera at least once during each use.

Would I buy it again if I could start over? No.

Edit: I bought this camera when it first came out and was $300.00. At $130.00 this camera is obviously a much better deal.
1616 comments|276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2012
I have been looking for a good compact camera for a long time. I am an amateur photographer with a Canon 5D and wanted a small camera I could have with me without the weight of the 5D. Any compact I tried suffered from poor quality photos or very slow responsiveness. The time from pressing the shutter release to actual capture of the photo was my biggest issue with using a compact camera for `snapshots.' If I was just trying to capture a moment at a party, the compact's delay was always an issue. So I was stuck with carrying the giant 5D everywhere or missing out on some photo opportunities.

The ELPH 530 HS has completely filled my requirements. I spent a few days wandering around my house and yard with both cameras and taking the same shots. The quality of the 530 was almost always up to that of the 5D. The automatic settings are excellent, and even in some tricky backlit situations made the right call on exposure. The only situation where the 5D beat the 530 (but not by much) was in very low light, non-flash situations. So when I'm taking photos in dark churches I will still rely on the 5D, but on almost every other situation the 530 will do nicely.

I did not think I would use any of the special effects on the camera but quickly found some useful. When at a dance competition for my daughter I was able to use the color filter function to snap B&W photos where one color is left in. This was great for shots that made the red of their outfits pop in a sea of gray. I could have done this with the 5D, but would have needed to load the photo on my PC and do some work in photoshop. Instead I had the photos on Facebook within a minute of taking them.

That's the other main reason I chose this camera over some others I was looking at, such as the Canon S100 - it has built-in wifi. And it works really well with my iPhone which was my hope for future vacation photos sent from anywhere to friends or posted to Facebook without needing to lug a laptop around. I have not tried the other connections possible from the 530, such as your home wifi to a folder on your pc or to the Canon sharing site. I wanted to be able to get the images to my phone and do what I wanted with them and this works perfectly. When I am home I pop the card into a reader on my PC so I don't see a need to use the home wifi. It seems you need to choose the images individually to save them to your iPhone, but as that is what I normally do I haven't tried to do anything else, such as `send all photos to my iPhone.'

The one negative I noticed in other reviews is battery life, and from the perspective of the 5D DSLR, it's very short. I can go all day with the 5D on a single battery, shooting 1,000 images and not thinking about it. Of course I have spares for that camera and cycle them through the charger when on a vacation. The literature states 500-600 photos on a charge and after a full day of shooting that is probably about right. I purchased a pair of third party batteries on Amazon fairly cheaply and they seem fine.

I rarely shoot any video and haven't tried it on the 530, but it's there and in HD.

In a direct comparison to a DSLR like the 5D the 530 would hold up fairly well in my opinion in most aspects. Of course the reason to use a DSLR is to have control over the exposure and the 530 has limited `modes' rather than a method to set the exposure directly. The Canon S100 had this ability and I nearly bought it for that reason, intending to add a wifi memory card. When I thought about my true reason for a compact camera, the ability to have a quality camera with me at all times to capture everyday shots, I realized I did not need the control of the S100. For over $100 less the 530 seemed a good buy. Since the 530 includes wifi, that made the s100 another $80 more expensive as I'd have to add it.

The only feature I could think of that the 530 was missing is a GPS function that records the location of images. That would have been nice, and some compacts have that, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

So, after about a month of trying it in a number of situations I am very pleased with the 530. The camera works as I hoped and the wifi and software for transfer to my iphone work well. I gave up on the image-browser software for the PC as I still use an old version of Canon zoombrowser to transfer to my PC. Imagebrowser seemed very slow as it tried to organize the thousands of image son my PC.
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
I don't understand the negative reviews for this camera. I did a lot of research and what appealed to me the most were 1) the size of the camera: it's so compact it fits nicely in my purse or pocket and I had no trouble finding a little case for it. 2) the touchscreen feature: not sure what everyone is complaining about, the touchscreen works great, similar to my iPhone and iPad and a child could figure it out. It's very very simple. You just touch the screen to select what you want and you can cycle through your photos as easily as you can on a smartphone. 3) the wifi option: when I read so many reviews bashing the wifi I was a little skeptical. The good news is that I got the wifi working in 15 minutes. The better news is that I was able to transfer my images onto my iPhone and ipad without needing to use a wifi connection or any cords. There is an Ad Hoc feature that allows you to transfer the photos without the camera or iPhone/iPad being connected to a wifi network. It sort of works like a bluetooth. I was able to transfer images in the car on a long drive back home. No cords, no internet connection.

Some other negative points that I've read online have to do with the short battery life and the miniSD card. I have found that neither of these things are an issue. When the battery has gotten low I charge it. It hasn't died on me after a long day of use...so I have no complaints there. The miniSD card is a non issue. I bought an 8GB card for the same price I would have spent on a regular SD card ($12.99). My miniSD came with a full size SD adapter if I needed it, but because of the handy Wifi/Ad Hoc transfer capabilities I never have to take the card out or plug the camera in to transfer my photos.

I got this camera so that as a new mom I could take better photos than I do with my smartphone, but I also wanted to be able to share them with other with little or no effort. The images are crisp and clear and the colors are vibrant. I also love the cute/retro boxy look and in matte white the little camera is a unique beauty. I love everything about it and it's yet to disappoint. The macro pictures are amazing as well.

I was able to nab this at $199 and for the reasons listed above its way better than some of the other cameras out there at that price point. My mom just got a Nikon and it takes beautiful pics as well but has no touchscreen and no wifi. I'm glad I went with my instinct and got the camera that fits my needs.
22 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2013
I have had this camera a few weeks, and it took some time to learn how to use it. The touch screen functions are quite different from the usual switches, but I am getting used to it. You have to touch the screen fairly hard to select a function, but that is better than being too sensitive.

The touch screen appearance is great, and you can see it outdoors, but not with the sun directly on it.

A few of my pictures have had poor color, but most are excellent. I believe the poor color has happened when I pushed the button too fast and didn't pause at the halfway position long enough for the software to get the settings right. One evening I shot several pictures indoors with Auto setting, and the automatic flash came on about half the time. On the pictures without flash, the ASA figure went higher. That made the pictures a bit inconsistent for a single event, but almost all were very good.

Video is great, and you can zoom while you are shooting. The only video problem I have seen is the stability of the camera. It is so small and lightweight that it is hard to get a good, steady video.

I have used the wireless transfer two ways. One way is to transfer through my wireless router. In that case, you connect the camera to the router, and the router is connected to the PC. Another way is to connect directly between the camera and the PC. That works ok, but you have to disconnect the PC from any other wireless, and connect directly to the camera. These connections are both straightforward when you realize there are two ways to connect. It took me a while to realize there are two ways, and not to confuse them. I also set up the camera to transfer to the Canon Image Gateway, a cloud storage service, and that works very well; it does not take long.

The battery is small and doesn't last long for wireless transfer, and it may not last long for video, but I haven't shot that much video. I bought a second battery and I alternate batteries, recharging one or both when I am home.

I gave the camera only four stars because of the touch screen difficulties and the few pictures that are somewhat off color. That should never happen with a Canon!
on August 12, 2013
I had a Canon Powershot ELPH a few years back. I absolutely loved the photos and the small size, but needed a bigger zoom than the 3X available at that time. I got a Nikon Coolpix with an 18X zoom. Was very happy with that camera until I compared some of the photos with my ELPH. The Canon shots were ALWAYS sharper. I saw this camera with the 12X zoom and had to give it a whirl. I haven't been disappointed. I love taking photos ... but I HATE hauling around camera gear. I love having this little, bitty camera ... essentially the size of a deck of cards that takes crystal clear photos and has a pretty impressive optical zoom built in. The touch screen works well and the wireless capability is cool as well. I must admit I've fought with the wireless interface a little ... but that wasn't a big selling point for me ... so not a big deal.
on February 13, 2014
This camera comes in a very handy package. I love the color being white as my favorite one lately but one thing I am a bit frustrated about is the battery life. It's fast to drain. Whenever I use it, I always need my back up battery just to keep moving.

And another thing, the Wi-fi doesn't seem to be available in different region or some countries. I am a person who loves to travel and this doesn't seem to function well enough as I expected. I am not just so sure if I need to do some tweaks but that's something I want to learn and still to check. But overall, I love it just the same.
on July 8, 2014
My wife and I bought this camera for our one-year anniversary to bring with us on the cruise we booked to the Caribbean. I was, and still am, very impressed with the picture quality coming from this tiny point and shoot camera. Canon is a brand you can definitely trust when it comes to cameras.
Having the entire back of the camera act as the view-finder with the touch-screen capabilities really makes it user-friendly. In addition to this, the 12x optical, not digital, zoom really lets you zoom in on your targets and still take crisp, clear pictures.
I like the built-in features and effects such as the miniature and accent colors on black-and-white pics.
The only thing I didn't realize before we purchased the camera was that it requires a microSDHC card. There are usually good deals all the time on Amazon for good ones. I would recommend getting one rated Class 10 UHS-1 or higher for the HD videos and quick saving of pictures while on the fly.
Overall, very pleased with the purchase and it continues to take fantastic pictures.
on February 23, 2013
This camera meets all of my expectations. It is everything I want in a point-and-shoot. It takes beautifully clear photos. The small size makes it easy to take with me everywhere I go. The touch screen is easy to operate. The menu is simple and intuitive. The special settings are fun and I know I'll get a lot of use from them. I had an ELPH a few years back, but no camera I've had since then has been as wonderful as this new ELPH is.
review image
on October 4, 2013
I first used this camera on a trip to Seattle on a cloudy, RAINY weekend. I took it to a lot of outdoor events in that low-light environment as well as indoor museums. I gotta say, I am impressed! The settings on the camera allow for low light, as well as night scenes with low light. The pictures are stunning!

Also much faster than my previous camera!

The Wifi setup wasn't too hard. Prob took 30-45 minutes to read through the manual, set up an account online, download the app, and configure the settings on my iPhone. I did this all prior to the trip. No issue at all sending my photos to my phone! Its actually a little magical to see it happen. I would say though that on my phone (iphone 4) the app you download uses up your cell phone battery much faster, so when I'm not using the app I turn off the background running on the app in my settings.

Also, I would recommend buying a backup battery and having it fully charged and with you. I was using the camera all day in the low light setting and the battery ran out by night time.
on October 27, 2014
My first digital camera was a Canon Elf with a 2 mg sensor. An outstanding little gem. But this 530 HS even with all of its' bells & whistles (touch screen and 10.1mp sensor) doesn't measure up. The images are soft, performance is slow, and images requre lots of tweaking in Lightroom to make them acceptable. Can't recommend this Canon if you're looking for sharp jpegs right out of the camera. There are better alternatives.