on March 22, 2013
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
I was extremely disappointed in this camera. I own a Canon DSLR but wanted a smaller, more compact camera to be able to take pictures with. It is capable of taking great pictures but all of the conditions have to be just right. The shutter speed was unbelievably slow. While trying to take a picture of my child playing, by the time the camera actually took the picture they were long out of the shot. If you hold the button down to "force" the camera to take the picture, it was horribly blurred and defeated the purpose of taking the picture in the first place. Even when waiting for the camera to focus, the pictures were not of the quality I have come to expect from Canon. I tried using different features, settings and everything I could think of but nothing changed the fact that this camera is not worth buying. I knew that it was not capable of operating at the same level as my DSLR but I still expected it to operate at a basic level of "point and shoot" and take good pictures.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2013
Color Name: SilverVerified Purchase
I am replacing a c. 2005 Olympus point-and-shoot digital camera. Anything newer would be vastly superior.

I was considering the Canon PowerShot G15 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom as a do-it-all camera, but I take a lot of action photos. I need a *fast* camera--a DSLR. So I went all the way up to a Canon EOS Rebel T4i 18.0 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 18-135mm EF-S IS STM Lens, but I am not going to keep that in my purse!

Why miss a great shot simply because I don't have my camera with me? This little cutie will always be with me wherever I go.

I could hardly wait for the battery to charge! Being familiar with digital cameras, I figured out the interface within minutes. I ran the camera through all its combinations. Fun! An 8x zoom and all the cool auto settings--including "toy camera" and fisheye--are fun to play with.

Image stabilization means that I can do hand-held shots in less-than-perfect lighting and get a good image on the first try most of the time. Saves a lot of time when processing images.

If you don't plan to read the user manual on CD, you'll be missing out on a lot of great information about the features. IT IS WORTH THE TIME TO LEARN HOW YOUR CAMERA WORKS. Look at the CD. More than once. Until you learn what all the controls do.

The battery charger is small -- no cord! :-) The prongs flip out and then back in again. The charger lies flat against the wall when it is in use. There is an indentation so you can use the second electrical socket at the same time.

The automatic lens cover is very delicate. Do not quickly lay the camera lens-side down as it is still closing. I got something caught in there, but the camera seemed OK after I opened and closed it a few times to check.

I am very pleased with this choice for a "purse camera." When I need a better image, or ability to shoot rapid fire, I'll have the "big girl" DSLR.

When I use the cable to connect the A4000IS to my Win 7 PC, I get the option of deleting the images off the camera right after they're downloaded to the PC. Saves me a step later. You can also mark certain images as "protected," so that they will not be deleted except when you format the camera's memory card. Maybe take a photo of your contact information, and protect that?

The cable also works with my Canon Rebel, so right after I empty one camera, I stick the cable into the other and download off that one as well.

UPDATE - JUNE 2, 2013: Within two months, this camera started to lose its ability to focus on something close in bright sunlight. It progressively got worse. The lens cannot focus and the shutter does not fire. The shutter will fire for long-range subjects, but the image is blurry. I did some online research. I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

I CAN SEE DUST BEHIND THE FRONT LENS ELEMENT when I go out into natural sunlight and move the camera back and forth to give me some 3D perspective.

I contacted Canon via e-mail. The recommended solution is to send in the camera for cleaning. Will this be a permanent fix? Am I better off just returning this camera, and starting all over? I'll be back for an update.

UPDATE - JULY 5, 2013: I sent the camera to Canon. As soon as it arrived at their repair shop, they sent me a message by e-mail. Within 24 hours, they wrote back again to tell me that the camera could not be repaired for lack of parts. Really? It's relatively new. They sent me a reconditioned replacement. By FedEx. Faster than I was expecting. So I'm back in business, with only about a week of downtime. I'll watch this new camera for the same problem, but I'm happy to have my little purse camera back again!

I appreciated Canon's fast response and their willingness to do what it takes to make me love this camera again. Canon sent a follow-up e-mail to ask how I liked their repair service. I think they are trying hard to make their customers happy.

UPDATE - NOVEMBER 20, 2013: I am now on the THIRD camera. And I think that the auto focus is starting to go. Again. I assume that if the problem is a one-time fix, the reconditioned cameras that Canon has been sending me should stay fixed. But they haven't. I probably have time to return it two more times for replacements before the warranty is up. But will I bother? What's the point? I need a purse camera that will last for more than the one-year warranty period. So I have to downgrade my rating from 4 stars to ... two? One? Maybe one is all I can rate this camera. Pitiful. I wanted so badly to love it.

UPDATE - JANUARY 14, 2014: I am approaching the end of the one-year warranty. I will return the camera one last time for a replacement. But I will not be able to let it rattle around loose in my purse. The dust eventually kills it. A local Canon dealer recommended I go with a sealed-lens camera such as the Canon D20. I'm not all that excited about giving up some of the image clarity for the durability. So I'm really on the fence. And the tops of the fence slats are poking me in the butt. I guess I'll keep the A4000 in my purse, but also put it inside a camera case to reduce the amount of dust it encounters while it's in there waiting for me to whip it out for a quick snapshot.

I LOVE THIS CAMERA! It feels so wonderful in my hand. It takes decent photos for a camera of its size. I only wish it didn't succumb so easily to dust in the lens.

UPDATE - JULY 8, 2014: Despite my care in keeping this fourth A4000 in a case when not actually using it, the dust returned after a few months, the same length of time as the last three cameras. So this is the end. I gave the camera to my husband to see if he could clean it. Everything was so tightly assembled that there was no way to take it apart without destroying the components. So that explains why Canon would simply give me a new camera each time. There is no way to repair an A4000.

I am off in search of a "purse camera" that won't slowly die from internal dust. A waterproof camera such as the Canon D20 or D30 seems to be my only option now. I simply ask too much from a camera. Out of focus snapshots are not going to make me happy. I still have my Canon Rebel 4Ti when I need a really good, clear image.
on November 27, 2012
Color Name: PinkVerified Purchase
The only reason I'm rating this camera 4 stars is because I don't really like the design of it. HOWEVER, this camera is REALLY good. Especially for the price! The pink color is a very nice salmon color too, I would recommend that one. It has a lot of nice features and special effects. One of my favorite effects is the black & white. Not many cameras have that! Which I thought was awesome. It also has a whole bunch of other nice effects already in the camera, which is pretty cool so you don't have to transfer them then edit them on your laptop.
Overall this is a very nice camera. AND it's super cheap! If you're thinking of buying a nice everyday point & shoot that takes clear photos for a low price, this is a good choice. :)
on August 1, 2012
Color Name: RedVerified Purchase
I had a Sony DSC H9 and was looking for something small and easy to carry, but at the same time did not wanted to compromise on the quality of pictures. This camera works good in sunlight and the pictures are really awesome. During night or indoors with less light the camera focuses on the subject in the Auto mode and the background is completely black. this was something I didnt like about this camera, but apart from this a very nice camera with good picture quality.
on November 27, 2012
Color Name: BlackVerified Purchase
I purchased this camera with intentions of giving it to my 70 year old grandmother. I unboxed the camera to try it out first and was EXTREMELY pleased with the pictures it took. They were very clear, and exactly what I expected from a camera in this price range.

However, the one thing I hadn't considered (even during my testing) was that my grandmother has rather weak fingers. Upon presenting the camera to her I noticed that she had a lot of trouble pressing the shutter button. She was able to do it, but it took some effort.

I've decided to keep the camera (I like it that much) but I will be looking for one with slightly less resistance in the shutter button.
on November 5, 2012
Color Name: Blue
I bought this to replace another small canon camera (PowerShot SD1100 IS) that died from the dreaded lens error problem. It works pretty much the same as my earlier camera and that is one of the reasons for choosing this one. I miss the view finder but the lcd screen seems to be brighter than the previous camera. After using it for a couple weeks I have to say I am very satisfied with it and would recommend it.
on April 6, 2012
Color Name: Red
This is a really low price for such a great product. This camera is awesome i paid $180 for it wish i would've known about this deal.... Well the camera is well worth every penny and yours comes with a 8GB SD card mine didn't come with anything.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2012
Color Name: Silver
I normally don't write reviews but felt compelled after reading Sarahs giving it a 1 star review after it stopped working because she broke it. Its a good camera for the money. There are some limitations as detailed in other reviews but are easy to look past given. The price.
Color Name: Blue
We bought this camera and received it on March 29, 2013. Four days later, on April 2, 2013 we took it with us on our overseas trip. Four days into our trip, the camera's focusing mechanism stopped working and the telescopic lens made cracking noise when powered on or off. Not being able to use it, we put it away in a corner of our cabin. Luckily, we had an old Sony CyberShot with us and we managed to record all the events of our voyage.
We were in the Indian Ocean at that time and the satellite reception was down to zero, hence could not call Canon to report the troubles. When we got back to the US on April 22, 2013, we immediately contacted Canon Sales Office for an exchange or refund. Were however told that we had exceeded the grace period of 14 days by 9 days and nothing could be done except to send the camera to the Service Department for repair. Once they received the unit, it was immediately confirmed that repair could not be done on it. So they sent us a refurbished one.
We bought a new camera, had it in our possession just for less than 8 days but now got a refurbished one instead. Is it fair?
The colors of the pictures, when the camera worked, were very good and it is easy to use. But the quality was completely missing and the manufacturer did not live up to its reputation or its commitments.
on October 5, 2013
Color Name: PinkVerified Purchase
lens keeps jamming and is unable to reset itself!! it is a nice camera lots of issues with the zoom. do not recommend this model . I have another canon that does not have these issues!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations