4.0 out of 5 stars Great features. Image quality is lacking.
I purchased this camera to replace a PowerShot SD780 IS ELPH that I have had for 3 years. The A4000 has decent reviews on other sites, so I bit. I wish I would have paid more and bought another Canon SD/ELPH.

One thing the A4000 only takes 720p video at 25fps. My old SD780 did at 30fps.

For my review, I am almost directly comparing the A4000 to my...
Published on May 8, 2012 by Leon

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes good pics but NO optical zoom in movie mode
Published on June 2, 2012 by guy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great features. Image quality is lacking., May 8, 2012

One thing the A4000 only takes 720p video at 25fps. My old SD780 did at 30fps.

For my review, I am almost directly comparing the A4000 to my old SD780 which is 3 years old.

A4000 Pros:
1) Taking video with the steadyshot works very well.
2) Miniature effect and other modes are fun
3) Takes fast photos
4) Zoom is phenomenal. 8x optical + 4x digital.
5) View screen is large and sharp

3) Photos don't seem as sharp as the SD780
4) Sound recording quality isn't as clear as the SD780

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera for the money, October 20, 2012
P. David Elosser (kernersville, nc United States) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth or fifth Canon digital P&S, over the years I've worn all the others out. This one has lived up to my expectations of Canon quality. All the controls do take a bit of experimentation to figure out, but you can leave it on AUTO and let the camera do all the work. The only disadvantage for me, there is no manual control of shutter speed and F-stop. However, in P mode you can index the exposure (+/-) and set the ISO speed for some creativity. The pre-programed modes have a good variety and they all basically work giving you the desired effects. Image quality is excellent IMHO for any P&S camera in this price range. There is almost no difference in image quality between ISO 100 and 200. ISO 400 begins to show a tiny bit of noise or artifacts. ISO 800 and 1600 do show some noise but it looks to me like the camera automatically despeckles the picture, which eliminates most of the noise but noticeably softens the focus. Close focus mode works accurately. A couple of hints: First, set the camera to ISO 100 (rather than AUTO ISO) and you will get great pictures in most lighting conditions. Second, learn to use the white balance for the appriate lighting conditions (sunlight, cloudy, tungsten, etc.) Although the auto white balance works, it often won't work as well as setting it for the proper balance. Also, learn to set the flash functions. You often don't need flash to get a great picture and with the flash off you'll save battery charge. You can certainly preview your pictures to get the best results. Need to get that quick picture with no time to set the adjustments? Just hit the AUTO button!

Strengths:
Very small and compact, fits in shirt pocket when turned off.
Excellent image quality with very adequate zoom range.
Large easy to see LCD screen.
Easy to use AUTO-mode with plenty of pre-defined creative modes.
Rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.
Camera can be set for personal preferences, like sound volume and LCD brightness.
Rapid downloading of pictures to your computer.

Weaknesses:
No optical view finder.
Controls are small and a bit cramped.
Zoom control is in an awkward position.
No case or SD card included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Camera, November 7, 2012
The little camera is a charmer. The picture quality is color perfect. Has a big LCD display. The response time of the controls and zoom are very snappy. It has 8x optical zoom and if you keep your finger on the zoom it continues after a slight warning pause onto digital zoom for 32x. Yeah, the pic will get a bit grainy at that level but you've got lots of pixels to work with. What I really like is the light weight and it fits into my shirt pocket. Or, get the Case Logic case and snug it into your pants pocket or a purse. It's so light, you will actually take this one with you and use it. The price is great for the quality and I love the blue color. Yes, the purist will say there are compromises with a super small camera like this but it's not a concern for the average person taking snapshots and the occasional movie. I've had larger Canons but I like this one the best because it's usable and has plenty of features. Macro photography (closeups) is automatic and really easy. Canon did a great job on this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Camera with Big Features, November 21, 2012
K. Duncan (Grosse Pointe Farms, MI) - See all my reviews
When my pocket Sony camera died, I thought I wanted a little bigger camera with more features, but friends with bigger, "real" cameras convinced me to look for another pocket-sized camera for ease of carrying. I compared at a lot of cameras in this "class" and am very happy with my decision to go with this Canon PowerShot.

First, for such a little camera, it has so many cool features that I've had a hard time remembering they are all available, including many features that before now were only available in photo editing software such as fisheye and monochrome. I will be honest that it's unlikely that I'll be able to use features like this "on the fly" for quick shots of the kids. But if you are setting up a nice shot, it's fun to run through these features to see what you can get. Probably the nicest thing is that even with a whole slew of manual modes available, it has a very nice and effective fully automatic mode which pretty much fixes any shot so it's good. The automatic mode does create a bit of a lag in the time to take the photo, but the results are worth it.

Second, the zoom quality is awesome. It has 8x optical zoom, then up to 30x digital zoom. While playing with it around my house, I was amazed at the clear, close up shots I was able to get of small items on a dresser 18 feet away and even further shots of items BEHIND ME taken in the mirror of the dresser!

The controls are easy use and fairly intuitive. Getting to some of the features has taken a little getting used to since some of them are layered and I could not remember how to find them again, but after a while it all makes sense. My old Sony had a touch screen, but I don't miss it at all. Having actual buttons has been a nice change with being able to feel the buttons as well as see them. Also, seeing the photos that have been taken is MUCH eaiser than on the touch screen which required moving from photo taking mode to viewing mode, then back to photo taking mode to continue. THis Canon has a simple button that takes you right to viewing mode and back. No multiple steps necessary.

I've given it 4 stars rather than 5 only because I had a hard time finding features. The manual could be more complete with regard to exactly how to USE some of these cool features and how to get to them, rather than just listing that they are there.

Over all, I've been very happy with this camera and would recommend it whole heartedly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes good pics but NO optical zoom in movie mode, June 2, 2012
Good solid camera, high quality built and looks, nice LCD screen and easy user-friendly functions. Takes good pics and records HD movies.....only one problem, HD movie mode DOES NOT HAVE Optical Zoom. Which means, if you do zoom (digital zoom) while making HD movies, it'll start blurring. So that's the only big downside, other than than...it's a great camera, just not a good camcorder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, until it wasn't, September 5, 2012
Second Wind (Torrington, CT) - See all my reviews
I was very happy with this camera, it was exactly what I expected, exactly as advertised and I have taken well over 1000 photos with it. Of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it developed a fine line that runs vertically through every image, dividing the image exactly in half. This is clearly not a lens scratch or other bump or drop type of damage, this is some electronic gremlin that decided to pay a visit and won't go away.
Unfortunately, my return window is closed and I am sending it off to Canon today in the hopes of getting the camera back functioning as it was 3 months ago.
Keep you posted.

Update: Contacted Canon and within a week I had a replacement. It was refurbished but looks new to me. Canon could not have been more accomodating and polite. They did not want the accessories returned and so as an added bonus I now have an extra charger and battery. Add another star to this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera!, June 25, 2012
I purchased this camera actually for work so that we would have a camera to keep in the job truck. The boss used it first time out and he's not one to pick up technology easily so when he had no complaints on the camera, I knew it was a good buy. The pictures turned out great even in the shade under the roof. There is some noticeable camera shake in shady pictures but nothing that couldn't be overcome with some more use and practice.

The only major thing I have against this is that in pictures lit by full sun, there is noticeable vignetting. I notice it since my other camera is a DSLR but for the typical user of this camera, it's not a big deal. Just be sure to leave some space around your subject so that it doesn't detract when you're processing the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my wife for Mother's Day and she loves it!, May 7, 2013
Length:: 9:47 Mins

My wife loves to shoot photos and sometimes the iPhone just isn't good enough. She likes taking photos of family gatherings and holidays and also of nature and animals. I use a Canon 7D and she will not take the time to learn how to use it. I purchased her this camera for Mother's Day and she just loves it. It is a great point and shoot camera and it does everything she needs it to do. This camera is extremely powerful and has many features in it. I put together a video (I am sorry that it is so long) that covers only a few of the key features, such as:

* 16 Megapixel camera
* Shoots photos and videos
* Simple one button access to take a video.
* Able to zoom in on a subject in a video
* Takes fast and easy photos
* 8 times optical zoom and 32 times digital/optical zoom when combined
* Small and light weight construction but solidly build
* Image stabilization build in to eliminate hand and body motions and allow you to take better photos and videos
* Nice 3 inch LCD color display with great resolution and clarity
* Records movies in MOV format so my wife can automatically put them into iMovies
* Good sound on the movies and very good resolution and video quality
* Smart Auto AI that selects one of 32 preset shooting settings to take the right photos based on the conditions the camera sees. My wife loves this feature.
* Very nice AC wall battery charger that has foldable plugs and operates on 100 to 240 VAC and 50/60 Hz for international use. Don't forget to take your wall plug adapters.

Some weaknesses are:

* No optical view finder and you have to use the LCD display in all conditions.
* For my big hands the controls are a bit close together
* I would have preferred a rocker switch for the zoom control
* We had to buy a camera case

What my wife liked was the ease of use without having to do a dozen settings to get a reasonable photo. She was shooting Macro shots of flowers and zooming in on nature shots and animals instantly and having fun doing it. She wants to take good photos and not have to learn to be a camera expert. For her she also loved the dark blue color as it reminded her of her beloved Indianapolis Colts. She finds the autofocus easy to use and she has taken some great photos already.

I installed a WIFI SD card and she can transfer the photos and videos to her iPhone and iPad without removing the SD card and she loves that. I loved that it came with a lanyard as with my huge hands I was afraid that I would drop it all the time.

This is good solid camera and we got it at a GREAT price at well under $100 and for that reason alone my wife loved it as she loves a bargain. She rates it as a 5 star item and she is fascinated with it. I glad I got it for her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Never met a Canon I didn't like... until now., January 31, 2013
I bought this camera last night. I'll be returning it tonight or tomorrow. The picture quality is great and the zoom worked very well. The buttons were slightly hard to use because they were so small, but that's not a major issue for me.

My first concern was the ridges on the cover for the lens. My current powershot is smooth and I carry it in my purse everywhere. (I have an 8mp camera on my phone but they have nothing on a canon!) I am afraid to carry this one in my purse because the ridges will catch and open and possibly scratch my lens.

My second concern, the main reason I'm returning it, is because it takes so long to take a picture. I have two kids, 6 & 7, and they don't want to wait 5 seconds while the camera "thinks" about it! It took considerably longer to take multiple shots, also. My current p&s is a SD1100IS Elph. I've carried it around in my purse and my back pocket for a couple years and was planning on passing it on to my mother-in-law when I got this new one. However, I will keep my 1100 for a while longer until I find something that seems as durable as this one is!

If you're using this camera for non-time sensitive shots, I'm sure this is a wonderful camera (I currently have a Rebel T3i, a 5D, the 1100 Elph and my husband has 2 p&s canons). I zoomed all the way in and took a photo of an olive oil bottle. The words were clear, the IS technology worked very well. It's simply not a camera that will work for what I need.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned this camera shortly after purchase, March 22, 2013
I was extremely disappointed in this camera. I own a Canon DSLR but wanted a smaller, more compact camera to be able to take pictures with. It is capable of taking great pictures but all of the conditions have to be just right. The shutter speed was unbelievably slow. While trying to take a picture of my child playing, by the time the camera actually took the picture they were long out of the shot. If you hold the button down to "force" the camera to take the picture, it was horribly blurred and defeated the purpose of taking the picture in the first place. Even when waiting for the camera to focus, the pictures were not of the quality I have come to expect from Canon. I tried using different features, settings and everything I could think of but nothing changed the fact that this camera is not worth buying. I knew that it was not capable of operating at the same level as my DSLR but I still expected it to operate at a basic level of "point and shoot" and take good pictures.