5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Camera!
I love this Camera!!!!

I was somewhat skeptical about buying this due to the lack of reviews. There arent much reviews on a camera unless it's totally famous or new. So I bought it because it was sale for mothers day.

Published on May 29, 2012 by DanNY

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR PICTURE QUALITY
This camera has a nice design and feels good in hand. The touch screen is very easy to use and has several cool preset modes that you can play with. ...And that's about all the good things I can think of for this camera.

Published on December 4, 2012 by vodka_oreo

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Camera!, May 29, 2012
I love this Camera!!!!

I have been using it for about a week now, took it to the zoo. It took excellent pictures, and on top of that the video function is just awesome, it looks like a movie when you're shooting it!

The only problem with this is how the price when up like crazy in a day or two. The camera bundle (red) was on sale for 120. Then the next day it was 130 (when I bought it), then the following week, I check it goes up to 220, then 200. Now it's in the 150's. Just keep your eye on it, don't buy if its over 150!

I would recommend it to everyone, unless you're a professional, then buy a bigger better camera. I am looking forward to taking this to Europe and Asia this summer :D

Oh it's touch screen too, thought it was cool when I found out by accident.

You probably wanna also buy the class 10 memory card for this camera when taking high resolution pictures due to the lag on lower class. It does come with a 4GB memory card, but use that for a backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday Camera!, June 27, 2012
I've been into photography for almost 25 years and have more cameras then I care to admit to. I use a Nikon D5100 and a Canon SX40HS as my higher end cameras but wanted something to just throw around and carry in my messenger bag for daily events. I blog and Facebook and am always shooting pics around town. I had been using a sd700is for the last few years for that purpose but being from 2006 I figured I'de get something more up to date. The A3400is has not let me down, It takes pictures on par with the SX40HS and sometimes can't tell which camera shot what. It's touch screen is easy to use , it's compact and for the money you just can't go wrong. To be honest I just don't have anything I can say that is negative about the A3400IS. Low light, sunny days the photo's are all sharp. It's a great starter camera or just to leave in your bag for that special photo that comes along. I love it and for the 139.00 I paid it's a no brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, May 18, 2012
I bought this camera after somehow breaking my old one (oops). I've had it for almost a week now, and I've got to say that it's almost perfect for the casual photographer. I absolutely love the image quality, the various image modes, and the video quality.

The one thing that I'm not really liking is how the image color differs from the playback screen to my computer screen. It's definitely not a huge issue, but it took me by surprise when I found out that pictures appear more cool toned on the playback screen than they actually are.

Overall, I'm glad that I decided to keep my new camera purchase "in the family." My previous camera was a Canon Powershot SD1000 and this new camera is an excellent comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Red Bundle" Digital Camera Bundle, May 11, 2012
I originally purchased as a gift this special "red bundle" of this camera: this "red bundle" includes a nifty black case, the A3400 camera in red, and a 4 GB memory card.

Instead I ended up purchasing for her the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom Lens and Full 1080p HD Video and returning this one.

The primary reasons are that we found the Elph 110 HS excels in low light situations if put in 'manual' mode, and the A3400 does not handle low light as well as the Canon Powershot Elph 110 HS. The Elph 110 HS has a maximum 3200 ISO in manual mode, versus the A3400's 1600 ISO. Neither camera will reach their full ISO in automatic mode, according to Canon. In auto mode, the Elph 110 HS will normally stop around 2200 ISO and the A3400 will stop around 1200 ISO, according to Canon.

In addition, the Elph 110 HS records video in HD 1080p at 24 fps or 720p at 30 fps, while the A3400 records at 720p at 25 fps.

We tried both cameras and compared images and videos from both cameras, and preferred the images/videos taken with the Elph 110 HS. Although the low light images taken in manual mode look a little "pushed" from both cameras, to use a darkroom phrase. I think it's because it is such a high ISO that it is like using a high-speed film and can't look entirely natural.

Yet the A3400 does a good job overall; we got bright and pleasing shots with it. So you will get good stills or videos with this camera. Canon makes excellent point-and-shoot cameras so if you choose this one for casual point-and-shoot photography, you won't be disappointed.

Both cameras have image stabilization, which means if you have shaky hands, this will make the picture quality look better.

This is a great package deal in a camera at a great price. Also, the red is a really nice color. I usually prefer Canon cameras in silver, but the red looks clean, crisp and modern.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX (RED BUNDLE ONLY; THE OTHERS ARE ALL ITEMS MINUS THE CASE AND THE MEMORY CARD):

* PowerShot A3400 IS
* Getting Started Guide
* Canon Deluxe Soft Camera Case PSC-2070, Black
* 4 GB Class 4 Memory Card

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

* If you buy the red bundle, nothing, unless you want a cloth to clean the LCD lens.
* A memory card reader or memory slot
* If you buy any A3400 camera in any color except for the "red bundle," (which comes with the red camera, case and memory card), you will need a memory card and a case, if you like the protection of a case.

WHO SHOULD GET IT:

* If you are looking for 720p video
* It has 16 MP which produces really crisp images
* It has a touch panel LCD that is very convenient
* If you'd like to have a bundled camera, case and memory card all-in-one (as of this writing the "red bundle" is the only color choice available in this camera).
* If you like to shoot photos in low light, if ISO 1600 is enough for your low light needs.

Overall, a great value (depending on if you can purchase it at a sale price), especially the "red bundle" option (red camera, case plus memory card) which is currently being offered. One could also consider the Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS Digital Camera with 4X Optical Zoom, although the Elph 100 HS has a 4x optical zoom and not a 5x optical zoom like the A3400, and 12.1 MP instead of the 16 MP of the A3400, but the Elph 100 HS does 1080p video and has a 3200 ISO. Good luck in your quest to find the right camera for your needs.

~~

>> "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in his cab." <<

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket camera, June 18, 2012
I needed a pocket camera for point and shoot and this does the trick. I like that you can shoot movies by just pushing the red button, instead of having to twist the dial as on other Canon cameras I've owned. Very simple to operate and the shots are great, even in low light. I haven't explored all the options - mainly because I just want a handy point and shoot. I haven't really used the touchscreen either.

I agree that it is not very easy to use the screen in sunlight.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR PICTURE QUALITY, December 4, 2012

Picture quality is a major issue for me. No matter the setting is, it is VERY difficult to produce a sharp image unless you are under a strong, bright sunlight. The pictures all look great on its LCD, but once you see the pictures in their original sizes on the computer, they all tend to be fuzzy around the details. My 6-year-old Canon SD700-IS does way better under the same conditions (although to be fair, SD700 is much heavier though they are about the same size). I don't expect it to create quality shots like a DSLR, but when compare pictures taken with other powershot models that either I owned or my friend owns, this one is a disappointment from Canon.

It'll be a fun, stylish, and easy-to-use camera for your children or teenagers, given its touch screen and some of its funky modes such as 'Fisheye' and 'Poster,' but if you are look for picture quality, this will disappoint you.

4.0 out of 5 stars IMPRESSIVE! BETTER THAN EXPECTED., June 20, 2012
I have several Canon cameras. Currently including the T3i SLR and Canon's newer S100 point and shoot high-end.

The A3400IS is my first Canon with the new IS mode and the first touch screen.

I was stunned at the picture quality and the speed of this small and inexpensive camera. I did use a high-end SD EXTREME SanDisk card and that of course helped.

Details were sometimes as good as my SLR T3i. Really sharp. Detailed. Excellent color and very good light.

I just don't have anything I can say that is negative about the A3400IS.

I did read a review and comment here about pricing and it is true that this camera is all over the map. Amazon has the best current price and is a trusted source but keep looking because I've seen it between $129 to $179. I think Canon realizes the demand and quality exceed the price.

As far as a VIEWFINDER; wrong type of camera. This has a 3-inch LCD screen aft and in very bright sunlight, it's a bit of a struggle but not difficult/impossible.

Great camera!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little camera for the price.... But, December 28, 2012
The button to take a picture is a bit sensitive! Not really an issue except when you have everyone posing, and press the button halfway down to focus, it takes the picture blurry! I have quite a few shots of random things just because I accidentally hit the button - by no means are those deal breakers though! This is a great little camera - perfect for vacations where you want something that takes a 'good' photo- these cameras will never compare to the bigger models, but if you want a quality product for a great price, your looking at it. It also comes with a battery and the charger so you really are getting a great deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, June 4, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot A3400 IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p HD Video Recording and 3.0-Inch Touch Panel LCD (Gold) (Electronics)
My daughter looked forward to getting this camera for her birthday. It works great, even better than mine. She learned to use it quickly; very intuitive. A great camera for the price - a true bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, December 16, 2012
I use this camera for my every day job, i work in a hotel and i have to get pictures all day about the construction, maintenance and everything happening, this camera wont let you down, it feels solid, the screen is not really touch screen cause it Works only for zoom and change the picture with your fingers, but it is not something to stop you, i use to have a Sony Cybershot and this canon is by far better than that, and cheaper than sony. If you are looking for a nice, inexpensive, day to day camera, nothing artistic, this camera will be your right choice.