Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on July 28, 2013
I was looking for something to replace my old Fuji 3800 FinePix which has 3 megapixels and 6X optical zoom. The Fuji actually takes very sharp pictures (primary reason is its low, non-adjustable ISO setting of 100), but it's a bit bulky. I wanted something compact that I could put in my shirt pocket and didn't cost much, yet had reasonable zoom and took pics at least equal to the Fuji's quality. I think I found it in the Canon A4000.

I've used it only for about a week, but I'm very pleased. First off, forget about using it in Auto mode because it decides on the ISO setting (what used to be called the ASA number with film). The higher the ISO, the grainier and less sharp the picture. For general picture taking you want to set the ISO at the lowest setting (for this camera, 100). You do that by selecting the P mode (Programmed Auto Exposure). Photos in Auto mode will be less sharp if the camera automatically sets the ISO higher than 100. Even though you can't set ISO in Auto mode, you know what the camera is selecting by pressing and holding the shutter button half-way and you see it indicated in the lower right corner of the screen. Very often, despite what appears to be a well-lit situation, in Auto mode the photo is taken at an ISO higher than 100 which explains a less sharp image than if it were taken in P mode at ISO 100. Of course, in lower light situations you want to select higher ISOs in order to get proper exposure even though the result won't be as sharp. A disadvantage for selecting the lowest ISO in P mode is that the shutter speed will often be slower than in Auto mode which risks image blur. But that should be compensated by the automatic image stabilization feature.

Interestingly enough, even though the camera has 16 megapixels its image quality at ISO 100 is no better then my old Fuji with 3 megapixels. So, I can't say I'm not satisfied although you'd expect that with more than 5 times the pixel resolution, the photos with the A4000 would be somewhat crisper than the old Fuji.... which tells me that the number of megapixels being touted is overblown -- I'm sure a lot depends on the camera's image processor (CMOS vs. CCD) and its other technical characteristics. At any rate, for a little over a hundred bucks I have no complaints and the photos are good to excellent in sharpness and outstanding in color rendition...plus it fits neatly and lightly in my shirt pocket. I recommend it.

Incidentally, the Canon Image Browser EX software that comes with the camera is OK, for a freebie. It's not Adobe Photoshop by any means and has some nice features such as image sharpening, but it's ease of use is only fair.
on May 18, 2013
We bought this camera and received it on March 29, 2013. Four days later, on April 2, 2013 we took it with us on our overseas trip. Four days into our trip, the camera's focusing mechanism stopped working and the telescopic lens made cracking noise when powered on or off. Not being able to use it, we put it away in a corner of our cabin. Luckily, we had an old Sony CyberShot with us and we managed to record all the events of our voyage.
We were in the Indian Ocean at that time and the satellite reception was down to zero, hence could not call Canon to report the troubles. When we got back to the US on April 22, 2013, we immediately contacted Canon Sales Office for an exchange or refund. Were however told that we had exceeded the grace period of 14 days by 9 days and nothing could be done except to send the camera to the Service Department for repair. Once they received the unit, it was immediately confirmed that repair could not be done on it. So they sent us a refurbished one.
We bought a new camera, had it in our possession just for less than 8 days but now got a refurbished one instead. Is it fair?
The colors of the pictures, when the camera worked, were very good and it is easy to use. But the quality was completely missing and the manufacturer did not live up to its reputation or its commitments.
on July 8, 2012
I normally don't write reviews but felt compelled after reading Sarahs giving it a 1 star review after it stopped working because she broke it. Its a good camera for the money. There are some limitations as detailed in other reviews but are easy to look past given. The price.
on April 6, 2012
This is a really low price for such a great product. This camera is awesome i paid $180 for it wish i would've known about this deal.... Well the camera is well worth every penny and yours comes with a 8GB SD card mine didn't come with anything.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 5, 2013
My boyfriend bought me this camera in March and it worked great. It's easy to use, the color is so pretty (I got blue), and it's so easy to upload the pictures to my computer. Plus the program that comes with the camera automatically sorts the pictures in my folder into separate folders by date which is so convenient and makes the photos easy to sift through and find. A few months after having the camera, I pulled it out of the case and every picture had a line across the image, even when I uploaded the pictures to my computer. I emailed Canon and they told me to send it in. I had to pay for shipping to get it to Canon, but once I sent it in, Canon had returned to me a refurbished camera in less than a week with a brand new battery and charger, all the accessories, so now I have two of each of those. The camera works great and I didn't have to pay a cent for the repair because I believe it was soon enough after I bought it. I had ended up sending it in almost six months after purchasing it. I am very pleased with Canon's service. They emailed me back in a timely fashion with all the details I needed and then my camera was returned to me completely fixed so quickly and with new accessories. I don't usually write product reviews, but I wanted to give Canon the shout out they deserved for this. I will have no problem buying a Canon again.
on September 8, 2012
The camera arrived early!! and in pristine condition. It has a beautiful display, takes great pictures in a wide range of conditions and is very easy and intuitive to use. The cycle time between photos is very acceptable. All in all a good purchase at a great price.
on March 17, 2014
I have had to ask Canon to replace this model (A4000) IS two times in less than a year. The first camera stopped turn on after 4 months; it was replaced by canon, and the second want was good for another few months , then it started to show a "lens error" and didn't start it. There is something wrong with this model, but the Canon's representatives don't know it or don't want to accept it. So good luck if you decide to but it.
on August 20, 2013
This camera is perfect for someone who just wants pictures for memories or fun. The main problem is that if it is on auto it can take a few seconds to determine circumstances so it takes longer to take a picture. After, however, it determines circumstances, if you take another picture in the same place it is much faster. The quality of video for a hand held camera is excellent and the pictures are good as well. For my uses, it is perfect.
on December 21, 2013
The battery door was extremely hard to open and since you need to remove the battery every time to recharge, this was an awefule design. Not sure if it was meant to be more water tight or a design defect but bad product.
on August 14, 2013
Sooo this little camera was great...for about 6 month and then out of no where it was giving me screen error and then would shut off automatically. Yes I was annoyed. We were in the middle of a 2 week road trip when this happened...so no documentation of the trips second half. Anyway, I called Cannon and they told me to send it back for a repair/replacement. I could not have been more impressed with Cannon's customer service, the guy I spoke with was great, and the processing was very speedy. I sent the camera to them on a Thursday and had a brand new camera at my house the following tuesday. All in all best service experience I've received ever and the new camera works great.