Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on May 10, 2011
My experience with this camera is similar to that of "Frontman". I have used & liked multiple Canon cameras and was excited to find one this small and with a viewfinder. I bought a black 1200 two days ago and spent the afternoon taking many pictures in many situations & modes -- results were poor across the board. It was returned the next day.
0Comment27 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2011
I purchased The Canon Powershot A1200 for a Christmas for this year. It was meant for an everyday carry around in my wife's purse camera, so she would have something besides her cell phone to grab a pic she wanted to capture. This camera is aweful, I really think the disposable cameras you can pick up at the drug store are better than this camera. I don't know what the 5 star reviews are all about, I read them all and in my research thought this would be the perfect camera for the purpose it was purchased. I was sure wrong, it feels like a toy camera in your hands. It is made of plastic... yes plastic the knobs feel as if they could break off any second. The pictures it takes are aweful very grainy and the color well there is no color it looks like they are black and white images. I was very disappinted in this from Canon, they sure have gone down the drain. I have already ordered my wife another camera and it should be here this Wednesday, this one is going back today.
0Comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2011
I own 4 Canon cameras, including an HD camcorder (HV30), and love them all. I have a Powershot A95 (actually, two of them) that I have taken literally thousands of underwater photos with, and even though it's just 5 MP, the photo quality is excellent. So when my A1000 suddenly died, even though I had only had it about 6 months and have not used it much, I chalked it up to bad luck and went and got an A1200 as a replacement. This is just for leaving in my briefcase and mostly using for work-related photos where quality is not as important as convenience.

Silly me, I thought decent photos were the first thing a camera should do. Features and so on are nice, but it has to take at least decent pics. So even though the A1200 is an inexpensive camera at $109, I was still blown away by how bad the photos were, incredibly grainy in various different lighting conditions, indoors and out. I tried all the settings, reset the camera, tried again, but after 1 day I returned the camera (not bought through Amazon), took a 15% restocking charge at Fry's Electronics from a rude salesclerk, and went to a real camera store. I explained what I was looking for, even said I was willing to go up to $250 for a better camera, but in the end got a Nikon Coolpix L24 for $129 that takes great photos. I still got the AA batteries I wanted but gave up the view-finder. On the other hand, it has such a large, high-quality screen, that I guess I don't miss the view-finder.

To sum up, I am really disappointed that Canon would put their name on such a poor camera. Even at this price range, the photos have to be better than that. I'm getting ready to buy my first DSLR soon, and now I will still look at Canon, but also a lot of others.
55 comments51 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2012
I am very disappointed in this camera. I have been a long-time Canon owner and have owned several of their point-n-shoot cameras over he years. The pics are really grainy for even a point-n-shoot. This is true even when using the flash in "auto" mode. The video quality is even worse. My old Elf SD100 out-performs this camera.
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2012
Viewfinder is a MUST for us (saves batteries when traveling in remote areas, essential for shooting in bright sun) so we had little choice on what to buy at the time. I see a lot of 5-star and 1-star reviews. I think now I know why. This camera worked great for 3 months -- crisp pictures, good focus and color, no graininess. Then it started taking blurry, pixelated, abstract-looking useless images. Then for no apparent reason, it would start working fine again. Then back to bad, and so on..completely unpredictable. Could not return due to having had it too long.
on November 22, 2011
I ordered the Canon Powershot A1200 after reading all of the positive reviews it received however was quite dissapointed once I received the item. The photos were extremely grainy and the camera didn't seem to focus well. I also own a Canon Powershot A620 purchased several years ago that I absolutely love! With this recent purchase I was looking for something more lightweight and compact for general everyday use and thought the A1200 would be a good choice. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the quality I get from my A620 but the A1200 was awful! I promptly returned it.
0Comment15 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2012
This is a nice sized little pocket camera that has some features that are desirable such as an optical view finder and the ability to run on AA batteries. I bought it as a backup for my wife to take to England but because of the problems she had with it it never got used. It constantly required batteries after taking only 4 - 6 pictures. I tried batteries out of different packages and by different manufactuers to no avail. Canon agreed to fix/replace it under warranty but it's an additional $6.00+ to ship it to them so you might want to consider that as part of the cost.
55 comments8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2012
Like some of the folks on here, I've found the photos to be grainy. I was very disappointed, since I've owned several Canon cameras in the past. I can't recommend this one...
on June 18, 2012
OK, so I bought this camera for my teenager son after reading rave reviews and doing some research. It took ok pictures the first month Then 3 months later, I notice that the pictures get slightly blurry, like a handshake. At first I thought my son wasn't holding it steady when shooting.Then 6 months since we bought it, the images not only blur out, they bleed -- like they were sprayed with water and the images ran down like watercolor. The camera was never dropped, never mistreated. My family owns a Fuji, a Kodak and a Nikon. Never had any issues with them. And now Cannon -- this one totally sucks. Thankfully it was still under warranty and it is now shipped out to the workshop. Am still waiting for my replacement. I am very disappointed with Cannon. You are supposed to rank top, but now you are even below that of Kodak. Their customer service is wonderful...but I would rather have a reliable camera that does its job when it is supposed to. Needless to say, my son lost many memorable moments at camp because his camera failed to do its job!!!
on June 5, 2013
Terrible camera. The camera on my phone takes far better pictures.

I wanted something on the cheaper end to take while I was traveling. Right out of the box, I knew this was not going to work. It takes way to long to process between the time you take a picture and the time the shutter goes off. The photos are blurry.

Don't waste your money, for ~$50 more dollars you can get something that actually works. Trust me, save yourself some pain, be a little less cheap and buy something that actually takes pictures.