Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on April 29, 2011
I have my Powershot A2200 for about two weeks now. I was a little concerned about the mixed reviews but I thought I would take a chance. I have and love my Canon G10 but did not want to carry it everywhere with me. I needed a little camera to carry with me and not worry about. I purchased my Powershot A2200 for 129. and could not complain about that. I liked how you can move through the different modes quickly and I especially liked the live mode. I am an artist and it is very important for me to control color and contrast and I can easily do that in the live mode. I understand the problems some of the other reviews complained about especially the blurriness. I too had blurry photos when I first started using it. This camera has a learning curve - it is a very sensitive camera and you have to become familiar with it and choose the mode ( program, live , auto ) that is best for you. Also there are several options to control in the focus of the camera. I suggest you become familiar with it to improve your results. This is a good camera for someone like myself that is familiar with using cameras and want options for controlling images. If you just want to point and shoot and not think about it - this may not be the best choice. I am really impressed with the photos I have taken. I mainly use the live mode - it is a very flexible mode - shooting well in low museum light and even out of a fast moving car. Given what I received for this cost I am very pleased. I love my little light canon camera.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2011
Well here's my story,
I am a 13 year-old kid that has been in to photography for quite some time now so I figured I am a good enogh photographer to get a DSLR. But that takes money, and money takes time.
So I decided to save up some money but still I wanted a camera. So I found this.
Now it's not something that a pro would use, but what I like about it is that if you're looking to become pro, you can learn about iso and white balance while you can also play with the fun art filters and scene modes.
I find the discrete mode very good if you want to take pictures of sleeping baby's and etc. The toy camera mode is great for vintage style photography.
One thing that bugs me is that in low lighting the camera doesnt react well.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 6, 2011
I really like this little camera. I spent several weeks shopping around for a digital camera that could do it all and I think I got it when I bought this camera. It met most of the criteria on my wish list with 14.1 MP and 720p HD video. The X4 zoom was initially my only disappointment but after playing around, I soon discovered that it goes more than x4, just at a lower quality picture.

I love how easy this camera is to use. It takes really clear pictures with ease. My previous digital camera had over a second delay and half the time my shots turned out fuzzy. With the "Easy" mode, the camera does all of the work for you and usually the camera is right. I use this to take pictures of my 3 year old daughter who is constantly on the move and the camera takes nice clear shots. Also the camera is fast (for a digital). From the moment you click the button, it is only a split second before it takes the shot which makes it easy to capture the moment you want to keep.

I also enjoy the "Discrete" setting. I used this setting while visiting a museum and I love that there was no embarrassment of beeps and clicks while I fumble with the camera to turn off the flash. It's fast and quiet and the camera still took a good picture in low lights w/o the flash. However I did have to rest my arm or the camera on a stable surface.

I haven't played around much with the video camera yet. The zoom lense is noisy so I think that might pick up with the sound quality but considering I had good luck with still photos on low lights, I don't think the video will be a problem as long as the camera isn't jostled too much.

For the price, this is the best camera your money can buy. I know that there are better camera's out there with more features, but this does everything I could ask and more for a family camera.
on September 7, 2011
This is not the type of camera where you can leave it on auto and assume everything will be fine. I did that but within a couple of shots I found the settings to be overly bright & very noisy as it looks like the ISO had been cranked up to 1600 (which is ridiculous for any compact) for a not so dark room. Its best to switch straight to Program mode and get accustomed with the manual controls. Thankfully Canon has realised that some people don't know anything about cameras and has provided an inbuilt help system (which can be turned on/off) to set examples of what each thing does, this can save a lot of time & avoid reading through the 200 page PDF manual! Very handy for those who are just about to leave on vacation

The discreet mode is great for those that need to take a photo but don't want to attract any attention. This mode will not use flash & will not make any sound at all aside from a tiny mechanical movement. Unfortunately the LCD screen will still continue to emit light since there is no manual viewfinder to look through. The colour reproduction is actually pretty accurate, its possible to replicate what you see with your own eyes (something that's usually impossible whilst indoors with compacts). The optical zoom mode is nice, you get a choice of both 4x optical & digital zoom of up to 16x. If you want to preserve your photos I strongly suggest turning digital mode off. Thankfully its quite obvious where the digital zoom will come into play as it'll pause for a second before continuing & you'll notice a line inbetween the zoom bar. The LCD screen itself is nice & large & easy to view under direct sunlight - a problem that arises even amongst DSLR users!

Now for the bad points, the lack of IS (image stabilisation) is disappointing as a lot of images in low-lit rooms will get blurry even if your hands seem like they're barely moving. The all plastic casing is also worrying, I'm pretty sure that the tripod holder isn't even metal which means it could wear down quickly & wobble around. The delay between shots is very slow taking about 4 seconds to get from one to the next. The plastic cover that covers the USB transfer cord is also disappointing as not only is it hard to get open but feels like it'll eventually be ripped off accidentally. Although this camera seems to take good photos via manual controls you'll instantly notice upon zooming in that it'll still have digital noise including the flash shots so detail will be lost during editing even if you're only shooting in 2MP (less than 20% of its full resolution). Camera distortion is another issue with that rounded affect on straight objects at angles and a lot of the features are gimmicky and aren't helpful for anyone who's serious about photography.

However I'm probably being a bit too harsh since coming from a DSLR. It is an all round good budget $100 camera & you'll no longer have to worry about using flash for dark indoor shots which usually kills the photo with false lighting. Just be warned that digital noise will popup on occasions & a few shots will get pretty blurry without image stabilisation, if this worries you, aim for something a bit better.
on January 21, 2012
I love this camera. I have owned a Samsung camera, I paid over $200 for, it was also a good camera. When it broke after about 2 years, I bought a Fuji. We don't use that one anymore because it took too many blurry pictures. I got this Canon camera because it was on sale at Target. Target gave us a $30 gift card for buying it. What a deal! It has a lot of modes to choose from, should satisify the simple shooter to those looking to take better and varied pics for something like a SCRAPBOOK anyone?!? The fish eye effect would rarely be used, but you see its interesting for funny photos (they picture a dog that was shot using the "fisheye" effect above). Maybe if you hate someone from work you can use fisheye and make their nose look huge then tag it on facebook, I don't know. Hehe.

But here are some of the features:

First of all, you can always change the settings of the timer, flash, and display (you can have the date show on the pictures...or choose not to) no matter which types of pictures you wish to take. You always have the options to change those things.

Now for the meat: The notches you can choose on the wheel up top are: Program, Live, Auto, Easy, Scene, Effect (I guess I'll call this one that), Discreet, and Video.

Program mode, you can adjust all of these settings:
ISO speed
WB setting (white balance I think)
My Colors (black/white, sepia, custom, etc.)
Single shot or Continuous shot
Evaluate (brightness based on overall scene)
Size of the shot (From 4320x3240 for 16x20 inch pictures down to 640x480 for email attachment pictures...they also include a widescreen option)
Normal quality or Fine quality

Live mode you can adjust:
Dark -------------- Light
Neutral ------------Vivid
Cool ---------------Warm

I never use that mode.

The auto mode they choose all the settings for you other than:
Size (16x20" quality or email attach quality, and all the qualities in between)
Normal quality or Fine quality

Easy mode, you cannot change anything other than the things you can always change, like timer, display, and flash. Guess they wanted to make easy mode...well...easy.

For Scene mode, the choices you have the options to adjust depend on the scene you select, for instance, if you choose portrait you cannot adjust white balance, but if you choose blur reduction, you can. The scene modes you can choose are: Blur reduction, portrait, landscape, kids&pets, smart shutter, low light, beach, foliage, snow, fireworks, and long shutter.

In effect mode (don't know what it's actually called, but in function set the effects are the things at the top you can change) you can change the effect; choose from fisheye, miniature, toy camera, monochrome (b/w, sepia), super vivid, and poster effect (a unique feature). In most of those effects you can change to normal or continuous shot, and normal or fine quality. Some you can also change the picture size.

Discreet mode is fantastic, you can take pictures quietly and discreetly, all you hear is a tiny "click". Won't even wake a sleeping baby, trust me. You can adjust white balance, colors, single or continuous shots, picture size, and quality normal or fine.

Video you can adjust standard or miniature effect, white balance, colors, and quality from HD movie 1280 or down to 320 (longer movie, lower image quality)

There is also a zoom in/zoom out on this camera, and a massive amount of other things you can do as well...like downgrading the picture size after it has been taken, viewing slideshows, etc. You really would need to read the book to learn of the full potential of this camera. I recommend this camera. I do get some blurry pictures, but not too many. The stats on blur are probably about 1/10 really blurry, and 2/10 slightly blurry (from an isolated blurry arm to edging seems a tiny fuzzy). Most of them are clear. The pictures I take are mostly pictures of my kids at home. I love this camera, and I hope you do too if you decide to buy it.

I hope that helps you all make your decision, and you are welcome!
on March 23, 2011
I read the other review of this camera and decided to purchase it anyway. This camera takes great pictures! Its inexpensive, small, and simple to use, exactly what I was looking for. 5 stars!
on January 14, 2012
I gave this camera to my girlfriend for Xmas as her Samsung point and shoot was borrowed by one of her daughters and returned without the shutter button. How does that happen?

So to begin this review, let me start by saying the A2200 is NOT a camera for a hobbyist, semi-pro or someone wanting to shoot in manual and learn the exposure triangle. It would NOT be my choice for a creative tool to be used to "make art". However, for the vast majority of amateur camera users, who just want to point and shoot and take snapshots, this little Canon is a ton of camera for the money and all they will need. For under $90 street price, you get a lot of bang for your buck, and much better image quality than you can get with an iphone camera.

First, the lens is very good for the price class: opens up to f/2.8, 4 times optical zoom and 28mm on the wide end. Better specs than the lens on my $300 Canon SD780. Second, the processor, DIGIC 4, is also very good and Canon somehow managed to pack 14.1 megapixels on to a 1/2.3" sensor without creating a noise monster. Third, Canon figured out how to make a SMART AUTO setting that actually works properly. For a novice or someone who just wants to take snapshots, this is all they need. Just compose, squeeze the shutter half way to lock in focus and exposure, and snap away. If you can't do that basic procedure, stick with your camera phone. Seriously. Rant: It amazes me how many people spend no time at all composing, then they plunge that shutter button down, shaking the entire camera, not letting the poor thing autofocus. And then they take crappy pictures and blame it on the camera.

If one wants to expand their photographic envelope just a bit, the A2200 has creative filter options, such as miniature effect and fisheye, to name just two. Also comes with a lithium rechargeable battery and more cables than my Nikon DSLR shipped with. Canon is good about giving the consumer a decent set of accessories.

I've tried all the creative filters and various settings and it was not difficult for me to take a few artistic shots with the A2200. My guess is the majority of users will keep it set to SMART AUTO and be happy with the results.

Bottom line: the A2200 is an excellent choice for someone desiring an inexpensive point and shoot. And produces much better results than a camera phone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2011
I bought this camera from Amazon just before we left for vacation to Florida, the Gulf Coast, and New Orleans. I needed something small and light that would be easy to tote around, and this definitely fit the bill. I didn't have enough time before we left for vacation to figure out all of the options and adjust to the learning curve, but I still managed to take some excellent pictures. I had some trouble taking good, clear pictures at night though - I couldn't get the flash to produce the clear images that I needed at times, but I think that is mainly due to my inexperience with the camera itself. It has some cool options (miniature effect, macro mode, fisheye lens) that I played around with and turned out several great pictures. I've posted a couple of these pictures on Amazon that I took with the Canon A2200. Overall, I'm happy with it and would recommend this camera, especially to those who need a good camera that's easy to use while on-the-go.
review image review image review image
on April 25, 2011
Canon cameras have always been the best for the money, not this one. Although the camera has numerous features that are attractive there are two issues that detract, Lag time and battery life. When the battery is freshly charged the lag time is comparable to the SD line of cameras. After ten to 15 shots the lag time gradually gets too long. I would not recommend using it for shooting pictures at an event, it ma be okay for still lief pictures. The battery is a lithium-ion, same as the SD series. However, it is rated at only 740 mAh compared to 940 mAh on the SD series. On a recent trip the battery died after seven hours of usage. Today the battery monitor said I had used 1/3 of the capacity in 2.5 hours. I recommend spending the extra money on the SD series or buying a different brand.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2011
For $100 bucks, it's not bad. It has a lot of features (mini mode, fisheye mode, vivid mode, ect..). It has the potential to take great photos, but I often find it difficult to focus with certain lighting; and there is sometimes a delay after taking a photo (no "continuous" shooting). I will say i'm impressed with its durability. I've dropped it on concrete floors, throw it around, and it still works like it did when I first bought it. It has a large screen in the back (no viewfinder), so if you do end up somehow getting the LCD screen to break... well, good luck. This camera supposedly shoots in 720p HD. I guess you could call it "HD", if HD looked something close to 360p. And once recording has started, it does not re-focus. Plus, the audio recording isn't great (a lot of noise). Overall, this camera is probably worth about what it's priced at ($100). It's nice if you're using it as a backup camera, vacation camera, or something to replace your DSLR for small events. If you're looking to create beautiful wonderful professional photographs, either have patience, or look for another camera.
review image review image review image review image