5.0 out of 5 stars Y do so many misunderstand what MegaPixel is???
This is an excellent Camera. It turns on and is ready to shoot in about a second. And if you change the default image size from the huge 16 megapixel to something more commonly used in the real world (and you have a fairly fast SD card), you can be ready for the next picture in less then a second.

It's sad to see so many people fail to understand this, and I'd...
Published on August 27, 2011 by AzItLies

As an owner of multiple Canon camera's in my lifetime, including my current 7.1 mp "Powershot SD750 Elf" and 16 mp "Rebel T2i" DSLR, I really put confidence in Canon's products. Or, I did. Now I am just frustrated and at a loss for where to go from here.

Published on May 28, 2011 by Kimmylikins

5.0 out of 5 stars Y do so many misunderstand what MegaPixel is???, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Canon Powershot A3300 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Blue) (Electronics)

It's sad to see so many people fail to understand this, and I'd say shame on Canon for not making this clear in their "start up" documentation. Even the CNET review pointed out it was slow writing a 16 meg file to the card (as would be expected), and my belief is CNET said that to chide Canon for not making it clear the setting should be changed to "what's appropriate for your picture needs".

Most people are not making Poster Sized Prints! And because of that, creating 16 megapixel images is a total waste of hard drive (and flash SD card) space, not to mention the time one has to wait for it to write it to the flash card (as so many have complained about).

Please take the time to do a Google search and read some of the freely available information on this subject. A 16 megapixel image is no more clearer then a 4 megapixel image on your 22" monitor.

I hope that's enough information to get people started to better understand this "megapixel" thing. The camera has the ability to write out a 16 megapixel image (yes that will be slow)... but the vast vast vast majority of us do not need this feature, it's overkill to the max... It's all the other features this camera has that make it a great choice!

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Image Distortion Occurs with this Model (and no one is talking about it)!!, May 28, 2011
Kimmylikins (Westchester, NY) - See all my reviews

First you should know that while I am not a professional photographer, I am far from a beginner and am pretty adept with technology. I purchased the "Canon Powershot A3300 IS" as a replacement for my now outdated and thoroughly used 7.1 mp Elf. I was beyond excited when it arrived and beyond disappointed after using it. Half of my images came out with a barrel-type distortion at the upper edge. This occurred mainly in close-up images that filled the frame, but also in a shot that was composed at about a 6 or 7 ft distance of three children. The two children squatting down were perfectly centered and look beautiful; but the child standing behind them who was just above the center of the frame, ended up with an elongated lump head. The close-up images would cause the heads and faces of the people in the picture to be elongated and at times even skewed. They basically end up looking like individuals afflicted with certain types of dwarfism, where there is an exaggerated forehead; or, in some of the images, the subjects looked like they were in a fun-house mirror with weird elongated and skewed faces and heads. The distortion was more subtle in some shots and more obvious in others; but I know my own family, and it was fairly easy to look at the image then look across the room and see that something was clearly wrong with the picture. I did not notice the distortion with scenery shots or photos of my cat quite as easily, but it *was* there in some images if I looked VERY hard.

I scoured the Internet for anyone who might have experienced the same issue, as none of the Amazon reviews mentioned it from what I saw. I could not find any answers. I called Canon technical support and found myself talking to a man who cut me off numerous times, asked me questions that I had already explained the answer to and generally seemed aggravated to be working at the moment. (NOTE: This is the exact opposite of a very pleasant technical support conversation that I had with an extremely helpful gentleman about 4 years ago in regard to my then new Elf.) The tech support rep told me that he had never heard of this problem; he thought it may just be a bad egg in the bunch. I followed his advice and returned it to Amazon for an exchange. Unfortunately, the second A3300 IS had the same exact problem. I packed it right back up and shipped it back for a full refund.

I rated the Canon Powershot A3300 IS at a mere two (2) stars because despite all of the options, the bells and whistles, not to mention the aesthetically pleasing color options, the A3300 IS was a complete disappointment. What good is a camera with great image quality - even if it was a point-and-shoot that some how was able to rival a DSLR - if the images are distorted?? I am certainly not framing or sharing images of my child or my family if everyone looks like they are the Conehead's long lost cousins the Bigheads. :o(

After all of the back and forth with Canon and Amazon, I discovered that CNET's review found the same exact issue as I had with the A3300 IS. (I have no idea how I missed this when I did my initial research, but I have pasted the info below as a reference.) So, despite what Canon's tech support rep was trying to sell me: This *IS* an issue with the A3300 IS model and I *DO* know what I am talking about. Where do I go from here? I really don't know. The A3300 IS was the most appealing Canon replacement for my good old Elf; but with the A3300 IS removed from the game, I am considering a Nikon COOLPIX or maybe even a SONY Cyber-shot. Unfortunately, my heart just isn't in it anymore. Hopefully Canon will rectify this blunder and offer a comparable model, less the fun-house effects, sometime in the near future.

FROM THE CNET WEB SITE:
"There is slight barrel distortion at the wide end of the A3300's lens and maybe a little with the lens in telephoto, too. Center sharpness is good, but there is softening at the top, bottom, and sides and, at least on my review camera, the bottom corners were visibly smeary."

READ THE ENTIRE REVIEW AT:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot A3300 IS, March 16, 2011
The Canon PowerShot A3300 IS is small enough and nicely fits into your pocket. Being 16 Megapixels and tons of shooting modes your going to need to browse the manual a few times to learn all it's features if you want to get some amazing pictures from it. The A3300 does have an Auto mode and bonus Easy Mode setting on the dial. In easy mode only a couple settings work and gives brief instructions on how it works, such as the shutter and zoom, otherwise the camera decides everything else for you. It also has a scene mode and special effects mode with allow for some creative shooting such as Fisheye lens, miniature, toy camera, etc. The camera feels very well built in your hands and the only down fall I found so far is that the flash is at the very top right hand corner and you can have a finger in the way of the flash if your not careful.

Canon Powershot A3300 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Shutter lag is HORRIBLE if you have kids!, March 18, 2011
I received this and quickly put it back in the box to return as soon as I tried shooting photos of my kids. I wanted a point and shoot to fit in my purse for those unexpected "Kodak Moments" but it literally takes 2 seconds after you press the button to snap the shot. Very frustrating as a parent! It takes nice pics otherwise. But read up on the shutter lag - the part they don't advertise.

[...]

We ended up getting the Nikon S8100. MUCH better for a quick point and shoot. I also love the scene selector - it selects the right scene for the conditions you're in. Not as high MP as the A3300, but unless you plan on printing out massive images, the S8100 is awesome. It has 10x optical zoom AND one touch button HD movie mode. Check it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful images with very little effort, April 9, 2011
I agree with the recent Digital Camera Review article:

"The A3300 IS lets users capture beautiful images and highly detailed HD video clips with very little effort - no matter his or her level of photographic competence. Portraits, landscapes, outdoor images in various lighting situations, night shots, and indoor pictures can all be captured easily when users shoot in the A3300 IS's Smart AUTO mode. Whether you're shooting macro close-ups of spring flowers, capturing a glowing sunset, photographing your kids playing T-ball, or nailing that dramatic vacation picture at Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon you can be confident that the A3300 IS will consistently produce the best pictures possible.

Canon's "Smart Auto" mode stands, in my opinion, head and shoulders above those of their competitors. If you want to take great pictures but you don't want to have to worry about anything technical, rush out and buy this one. The A3300 is an ideal first digital camera, an excellent choice as an "always in Mom's purse" family camera, and a very good choice for travelers who want a small, lightweight, relatively tough and fairly inexpensive "go anywhere" digicam."

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, Cannon A3300, even a technophob can use it., August 14, 2011
I did a lot of research before purchasing this camera. My last camera used film, this is my first digital and first compact camera. I love it. It is foolproof and perfect size. I bought the [[ASIN:B004HW73O8 Canon Powershot A3300 IS 16 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Red]. I get confused if electronics/cameras have lots of gizmos, dials and settings, but this camera's functions and settings are explained clearly on the screen when selected. There is an Easy Setting so you don't really have to think or know what light setting and all that and your pictures will turn out great.

It does everything you could possibly think of or at least what I wanted, at an excellent price. It takes great pictures and video and comes with a battery, charger and cables and has internal memory as well. It catalogues and dates your pictures and can create slide shows. Today, I learned - fooling around - that I can change the pictures I take right in the camera. Say, for instance, I felt my arm looked too big or flabby in a photo that was otherwise perfect, with my husband, (not that this was me of course) I can crop it and edit out part of my arm and walla, the perfect couple picture. My hands shake when I hold a camera, very subtly, but this corrects for it with image stabilization.

I just love this little camera and am so glad I moved to a digital compact. My goodness, the options are unreal!!! Red eye correction - can I tell you how many pictures I've seen ruined, otherwise good pictures, due to this. At the price I paid, I feel I got a great deal. This camera is user friendly, a pleasure to learn, comes with a manual on disk, is light as a penny, and.... takes great pictures of moving objects too. I Definitely would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera...Gets the job done!, April 16, 2011
I love this camera because it gets the job done, and it's so compact that it's easy to carry in a pocket. It takes great pictures, especially outside. Indoor picture quality isn't that great which is why I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5. I think it is worth the price though!

5.0 out of 5 stars great little camera, April 15, 2011
Joan Fox (Door County, WI) - See all my reviews
bought this specifically for the size, and image stabilization feature. (upgrade to my canon sure shot) I am fully satisfied with the results. The larger screen, and increased number of functions and ease of use right out of the box. First power up was quick, and with a set of plug adapters it will work in Europe without transformer. I'm particularly fond of the "discrete" setting which will take out the noises of the camera for stealth purposes. The test shots using zoom lens, in available/low light produced shake free images of people from across a 30' span. The beef I DO have, is the manual is on CD, not paper, so it's not so handy for quick reference on tricky shots. (bright window, etc) The movie test was also great. This camera did not come with memory card, so additional amazon purchase suggested - I went with the larger gb and doubt I'll ever run low. and, a friend came by yesterday with her new camera - and is using a hard plastic travel case for soap to protect it in her purse (a buck?) not too glamorous, but what a great idea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the cost, April 25, 2011
I wanted to spend some time using this prior to reviewing it but after 2 months of service here's were I stand. Great point and shoot I got it after my SD950 is was stolen and I Like it. Now coming from the Titanium 950 to this the camera A3300 doesn't feel as sturdy but so far it's held up. The picture quality is slightly better with the A3300 and I love all the cool lens effects. One lens effect I wish they would have added from the SD950is is the Color Accent I felt that made for some ingeniuous pictures. The battery life is great on theis camera as well I shot for an entire weekend on 1 charge.I'm going to be getting a dSLR soon but this will hold me over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy from PCNation wait for Amazon, March 8, 2011
I've been waiting for this camera since January. Amazon still had pre order on it. Today March 8th 2011 PCNation had it in stock replacing Amazon's link. So I purchased it because it said they were in stock. Well when I got the invoice it said BACKORDERED. PCNation is misleading and they haven't had them in stock at all. I called them directly and the CS rep said they were supposed to come in on Feb 28th. So again they never had them in stock. I cancelled my order and wanted to post on here letting anyone know not to order from them.

update, they are in stock now. 3/14/11

Tested:

So I got the camera.. finally, but i'm a little disappointed in the picture quality. I did side by side tests with my trusted Powershot SD 950 and my results were 50/50. 95% of the pics taken on the A3300 like landscapes, trees, wooded areas, almost everything set in the widest zoom out had sharpness issues using the auto and smart settings. P and live were only slightly better. (P & Live let you set contrast, sat, bright, sharpness etc. The centers of the camera were fairly sharp but all four corners were clearly not in focus. Compared to my 950 there was clearly a sharpness issue. There's also a saturation issue and feel that the auto features knock it down a little too much and pics can look muddy. I attached photos to show comparison.

Then I tested out the macro feature and did side by side tests with both cameras again and these seemed to be closer in comparison. The 950 had less noise and more bokeh though.

Build quality is ok on the A3300, the battery door is also the location for the memory card which felt a little cheap so I'd be careful. The shutter button is a little too far centered and i kept wanting to press the setting dial which is on the edge of the camera. The zoom in/out slider is located with the shutter button and its a bit difficult to manage as well as feeling very breakable and loose. The 3" LCD is very nice but compared to my 950 you can see small pixel dots on the A3300. Startup/zoom in/out seems as fast as the 950. Photo taking is slightly faster with the A3300 as well as focusing and another thing I noticed is that the subject focus lock (green square on lcd) found the subject I wanted in focus faster and more accurately then my trusted 950.

After taking a pic, the time to save to my memory card was still just as slow as the 950, i'm using a class 6 memory card and should see faster saves with the A3300 but don't. The size of the camera is nice, its a little lighter than the 950 and thinner but the same length but that fine. I do like the wider angle as well as the 5x optical zoom. I'll be doing more tests on this camera in the coming weeks and will post more info.

If your looking for a new camera that has many features, large lcd, comes in colors and is fairly compact, this may be a good choice but remember that photo quality/sharpness isn't the best but most won't notice.

UPDATED March 28, 2011

well, sadly after testing and comparing a bit more, i've decided to return this camera because the sharpness just isn't there. I decided to purchase and test the Panasonic DMC-FH25 Panasonic DMC-FH25A 16.1MP Digital Camera with 8x Wide Angle Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Blue) and i'm glad I did. Its a little more money but well worth it. The size of the camera is about the same as is the weight. Its also Blue and is 16mp too. The screen is 2.7 and not 3 but no big deal. The camera is much faster all around including taking the photos and most of all saving is very quick. The focusing is just as fast as the canon although there were a few times there pressing the button half way didn't do anything, not sure why, Look for my full review on the camera.