Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on September 23, 2013
As of writing this review, I've had the printer for about a week and so far I haven't had any problems.

I've printed around 20 pages so far and 15 of those were making copies using the scanner, all came out good. The only thing to mention is the little arrow where you put the corner of the paper in the scanner is on the top left. On my old Canon printer it is on the bottom right, so I was confused as to why the copies were messed up at first.

This printer doesn't come with a USB cable, which surprised me. Without a USB cable you can't actually use the printer at all. To set up wireless printing you need to connect the printer to your computer because there is no screen on the printer to choose the network and enter the network's password. Fortunately, I still had the USB cable from my old printer. The cable you'll need is a USB-A to USB-B which is the one that pretty much all printers use. Once you set up wireless printing you won't need the cable.

The only complaint about the printer itself is that the cover for the scanner is quite flimsy. I don't think it will break unless you're really rough with it though.
2424 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Setup
Like many WIFI enabled devices these days, I was hoping to get this printer ready without a computer or avoiding inserting software CD in my computer. However, since my network was hidden, I had to use my computer; otherwise, setting up would not have required computer assistance. I was able to setup the printer on my iPad or iPhone via pixma app. Unfortunately, again, since my home network was hidden, I wasn't able to connect to my WIFI.
So I ended up connecting the printer via USB (cable is not included in the box) and from the canon printer utility application; installation was easy to setup, and I was able to connect to my WIFI. Once the printer was connected, I was able to change settings and update the latest firmware via Bonjour page (Safari bookmark) on my Mac. The firmware update was easy and quick, and the whole setup process took about 15 minutes.

Printing a grey scale document took about 20 seconds, and the document seemed to print lighter than `normal'. After about ten pages of document printing, the texts got darker. Colored document took 34 seconds, and the documents looked pretty good. The nice feature when printing documents is that the printer can do double side printing without flipping the paper, so it's very convenient. However, I couldn't print draft (economy) mode (to save some ink), and I only had the option for standard and best. Not having the draft mode is disappointing.
Printing photos from photoshop and mobile devices worked fine as well. Despite the lack of options for paper choices and what not, straight default printing from photoshop looked nice actually. I tested both stock semi glossy paper and glossy paper, and it printed without any problem even without selecting the paper options (There's only `photo paper' for photo printing).
Also, printing straight from my phone and tablet worked well. I tried both Airprint from photo app and the Pixma Print app, and the result seemed identical. Airprint almost has no option for printing, and it prints well. It's resourceful for quick and easy printing, but the Pixma Print from Canon has a few more options and also does a good job. Now, printing from the phone might be quick and easy, yet it might not be the best quality. A quick 4x6 photo would print well.

Copy / Scan
There are set of buttons for b/w and color copy on the side of the printer, and making a copy is just as simple as pressing one of those buttons. Printing a black and white copy took 20 seconds, and came out slightly lighter than original document. Printing a color copy took 30 seconds, and again it came out slightly lighter than the original one.
Scanning from the Canon app worked seamlessly and took about 15 seconds for a full page document. Then I had saving options for scanned JPG/PDF file to store in iCloud, email, and open other apps like ibooks and dropbox. Also, scanning from the Print & Scan on the Mac worked fine.

Overall, this is a decent printer for average home use or for college students. Nowadays, we might print less and use more electronic documents through tablets and smartphones, but from time to time there's an occasion we have to scan and copy physical documents and photos. This printer serves well for that occasional use and purpose, and yet this printer is one of the `affordable' and smartest ones by supporting Apple's Airprint and Google's Cloud Print feature. There are really cheap ones without WIFI support, but I think it's definitely worth getting a WIFI printer for the sake of convenience as it is location free.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2013
Color: WhiteStyle: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Canon PIXMA MG3520 is a very affordable all-in-one printer/scanner/copier that exceeds expectations for the price.

HARDWARE
The MG3520 is made of all hard plastic materials that are put together nicely and should be durable enough to leave in one spot and never move. While the footprint is moderately small compared to some larger and more expensive all-in-ones, I wouldn’t consider this printer to be portable. All the major features you’ll want are here, though, including WiFi and AirPrint connections, automatic duplex printing, scanning, and black&white and color copying. The only major omission is a telephone jack for faxing. Connections and buttons are minimal. There are power, B&W and Color copy, Stop, standard or 4”x6” paper size selection, and WiFi on/off buttons on the top with a USB input and power cord input on the back. The paper loading and output tray on are the front, and the door that houses both trays can be closed up when not in use to save on space. I reviewed the white version of this model, and the appearance seems a little more expensive than what the unit actually costs. Good job by Canon here.

INSTALLATION
Installation is pretty easy whether you use the WiFi or USB set-up. There is an included CD in the box with software and drivers, but it’s already outdated. I recommend going to the Canon website and searching for the MG3520 on there. You’ll find plenty of options to download the up-to-date versions of the software and drivers. I had no problem installing the software (takes about 5 minutes) on a 64-bit Windows 7 computer. From there you can choose WiFi or USB install. The Wizard guides you through both and it’s simple. Since this is a budget all-in-one, Canon cut corners in a few places, and one of them is that there is no USB cable included in the box. I had to find a USB A to USB B cable in order to test the non-WiFi installation.

PERFORMANCE
The performance of this all-in-one is average, but for the price, that’s good. I have no problem recommending this unit to print typical school and work documents that have a mix of text and color figures. Printing a black and white text document took 15-20 seconds. If the document had small color figures it took just under a minute. Photo printing is not exciting. I tried a couple 4”x6” prints on glossy paper and they get the job done when a quick print is needed, but the quality is understandably less than going to a camera or even local drug store. Scanning a 4”x6” photo at 300dpi took 25 seconds and resulted in a 500kB jpeg while a 600dpi scan took 50 seconds to produce a 2.5MB file. The bump from 300dpi to 600dpi added noticeable fine quality to the scans, but I wasn’t overly impressed. Here I’d say scanning met expectations. I noticed that that some reviewers felt there was a lack of software options, but again, for the price point, there is more than enough to work with. If you install the MyPrinter utility in the software package and then select Printer Settings, you have the ability to choose landscape or portrait orientation, single sided, duplex, borderless, grayscale, multiple pages on one page, booklet printing, high-standard-draft-custom quality, plain paper or 6 different types of photo paper—including glossy or matte, along with 6 or 7 different types of maintenance settings to clean and align print heads and rollers. The IJ scanning options let you auto-scan, photo-scan, document scan, custom, or stitch scan. The auto-scan feature was hit or miss as it sometimes scanned photos and outputted them as PDF files instead of JPEGs. You can scan from 75-600 dpi and choose to compress or sharpen the image, and then there are options to automatically open the freshly scanned file with a variety of programs or send it via email somewhere. I had no problem with the amount of the options available at this price point and if you’re looking at sub-hundred dollar all-in-ones, I think you’ll be fine with what’s here as well.

CONS
I have two major cons. First, there is only a black ink cartridge and a single color cartridge. Once you burn through your red ink, you have to replace the whole color cartridge. Additionally, Canon annoyingly sells a regular and an XL version of the ink cartridges for this printer (admittedly, pretty much every printer company does this). Included in the box are the regular versions. Why even bother with a regular version? Just pack in the XL version and only sell the XL version in stores. Annoying money grab model. As you can imagine, only having a single color cartridge understandably also limits the quality of the photo prints because you can’t load in photo quality inks. The second con is the noise. This printer is rather loud, especially in a quiet office environment. Buried in the settings is the option “Quiet Mode,” which can be selected all the time or you can set it to automatically turn on from X daily time to Y daily time. Quiet Mode does reduce some of the noise during the actually printing process as it seems to slow down how fast the print head moves back and forth. This also subtly slows down the printing speeds. However, the printer is still really loud when the paper feed rollers activate and the print head initially slides into position, and then slides back into the resting position. In other words, Quiet Mode doesn’t do much. Oh, and as mentioned before, there is no USB A to B cable included.

SUMMARY
Don’t let those cons totally sway your judgment, though. I’m still giving this printer 5 stars simply because it exceeds my expectations for its price point. Could you get a better all-in-one unit for $139? Absolutely. But for people on a budget with light to moderate printing needs, or for people who need a second all-in-one in an additional location, I think you’ll be happy with decent quality pages this Canon MG3520 pumps out.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 23, 2013
Another review said that a USB cable was necessary to install this printer. Wasn't true for Windows 8 (maybe true for XP). I successfully installed the printer (took very little time). I also installed the app on my Android tablet and can now print from there, and my husband can print from his Mac.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2013
Awesome printer for the money. Prints wirelessly from my iPad and iPhone as well as from a regular PC. Good quality prints also. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a home all in one
Color: WhiteStyle: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Canon Pixma all-in-one printer is nicely designed, and the price is right, but the photographs aren't up to snuff.

The Pixma is a pretty small machine overall. It takes up very little space, especially when the paper trays are folded up. Unfortunately, unless you want to remove the paper every time you're done printing, the paper trays will spend most of the time down. Build quality on the Pixma is high, with study plastics and good finish quality. The one low spot are the paper trays, which feel flimsy and insubstantial. Since the Pixma doesn't have many features there aren't many buttons on the machine, and it's very sleek and modern looking overall. The glossy white finish is especially nice.

Features wise the Pixma is kind of light. It has built in Wi-Fi and Air Print. It also has built-in double-sided printing, which is a nice touch. However, there are no memory card slots or a USB port for plugging in a camera or flash drive. There is no display of any kind on the machine itself, just a few indicator lights. Therefore, the options for making copies are very simple and limited.

Setting up the Pixma is easy, especially on a Windows machine since included with the printer is the install disc. If you're on a Mac, however, like I am, it's a bit more involved. You'll have to download the software from Canon's website. Once the software is downloaded and installed it's very easy to set-up the printer and connect to the Wi-Fi network. Initially, you'll have to connect the printer to your computer via a USB cable. When you do that the printer will connect itself to whichever Wi-Fi network the computer is on. Once the printer is connected via Wi-Fi you can disconnect the USB cable. Air Print will be available after the Wi-Fi is set-up so you can print to the Pixma directly from an iOS device.

In use the printer is fairly quick and very quiet. When printing text it takes about 10 seconds per page. Printed on 20 pound plain copy paper the letters were sharp and crisp and a dark black color. When printing photos it took 32 seconds to print a 4 x 6 photo on the normal quality setting, and 2 minutes to print it on the highest quality setting. The highest quality setting is the one you will want to use if you want your photos to look halfway decent. On the normal setting photos look dull and the ink dots are very visible. On the highest quality setting (which you can only access by manually choosing the highest quality paper option) the resolution and detail is much better but most photos still lack pop and have murky colors and mottled shadow areas. I printed the photos on Epson premium glossy photo paper. After printing 10 pages of text and 10 4x6 photos the color cartridge was 1/3 emptied and the black one was 1/4 emptied. The cartridges that come with the Pixma are just started cartridges, however. Still, it seems to use a lot of ink.

Scan quality was high and I was able to scan documents over Wi-Fi using the Mac's built-in Image Capture program.

All in all... a good value all-in-one, especially if photo quality is not high on your list of priorities.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 11, 2013
Color: WhiteStyle: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a printer I give it 5 stars. Love the duplexing feature and the high resolution.

But I now have the Canon MG5620 printer. It is worth the extra expense. One reason is that instead of replacing the whole color cartridge because one color has been used up, the 5620 has individual cartridges plus a separate black for text. And you can buy the whole set cheaper than the 3520's. Also the print is such a high resolution, I can hardly tell the difference between it and my color laser printer. Now that is saying something for an ink printer.

The Scanner worked fine. All-in-all, I think its a pretty good machine for the price. I'm using it on a LAN system, not wireless. I haven't seen any difference between using Canon's driver or Apple's driver.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2013
Color: WhiteStyle: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this printer works well for what it is; and what it is, is a low-end (meaning cheap) wireless printer. I'm a grad student who prints at the university about 90% of the time. Really what I'm using this for is minimal printing at home and scanning. The wireless bit is perfect for me for two reasons 1) Well, it's wireless and 2) I have a two computers and one of them (the one I use most) is my Chromebook and this printer allows me to send stuff (i.e. print stuff) from my Cloud and that makes it pretty special. Did I mention it's pretty cheap. I'm no tech guru and I didn't have any trouble setting it up, though some people seem to have had problems. If you're looking for a machine with a ton of bells and whistles that you are going to use everyday, maybe print pictures, or get all artsy with illustrations or color, then this is not for you. If you are looking for a printer that you're going to use 2-4 times a week for mostly black and white documents, and scanning...this is really perfect.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color: WhiteStyle: PrinterVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Canon Office Products PIXMA MG3520 WH Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier is one of those basic all-in-one devices that does a decent job for those looking for a color inkjet type unit that will do lightweight printing and scanning, along with copying. Unlike some of Canon's older printers from a few years ago, this one is relatively easy to set up and get going in a few minutes.

Un-boxing this product is straightforward, and inside you'll find the following:

▪ PIXMA MG3520 Inkjet Photo All-In-One
▪ The manuals and other documents
▪ CD-ROM for setup and software
▪ Color and black ink cartridges
▪ AC power cord

Do note that this unit does not come with a USB cable. Depending on your configuration, you may or may not need one . heed You'll need an AmazonBasics Hi-Speed USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male Cable or equivalent :

◆ Setup:

Remove the orange tape and protective material from the bottom, then flip open the document cover. Remove the orange tape from the side, then flip open the front cover and paper output tray. Inside you'll find more orange tape and protective material that needs to be removed. Then close the paper output cover and output tray and close the document cover. Plug in the power cord on the rear, then press the ON button on top of the unit, and you should see the green light next to the button.

To set the ink tanks, you need to open the paper output cover and tray on the front. Lower the ink cartridge lever on the right, remove the protective tape from the ink cartridges but don't touch the metal surfaces. Gently insert the black ink cartridge into the right slot and raise the ink cartridge lever until it clicks into place. Then repeat the procedure with the color ink cartridge into the left slot. Then close the paper output cover and tray. The power ON lamp will flash in green for about a minute and stay lit. You'll then need to set the paper guide according to the size you'll be using and load the paper, but follow the directions for this.

◆ In Use:

The Canon PIXMA MG3520 does what is expected, but keep in mind that this is a basic all-in-one inkjet printer. I connected it to my Windows 7 notebook, using the USB cable noted above. Once that the software was installed, connecting it to Wi-Fi was a simple process and the USB cable was removed. Your results may differ.

Scanning and copying are simple to do with this all-in-one multipurpose unit. Just follow the directions and see the results for yourself.

Printed a couple of dozen images, and the print quality was better than expected, even using 24 lb plain paper. Scanning and copying were simple, as one would expect. Must note that I removed the My Image Garden software in favor of Adobe and Nikon software installed on my PC. For those just starting out, the My Image Garden software may prove to be useful.

As expected, you will need to add ink cartridges, and personally speaking I would suggest the higher capacity XL sizes:

▪ Canon PG-240XL Office Products FINE Cartridge Ink
▪ Canon CL-241XL Office Products FINE Color Cartridge Ink

Be careful when choosing the ink cartridges for this unit, as some will not work. These do.

◆ Summary:

This Canon Office Products PIXMA MG3520 WH Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier is a decent all-in-one printing solution for home use, especially if one has kids and expect them to be doing some printing, scanning and copying. Speaking subjectively, this is a 3-star all-in-one product, but for overall value it's a 4-star product considering the cost. For those looking for a more robust solution from Canon, the Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax may be a better choice, though at a higher cost.

12/19/2013
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I purchased this printer a few months ago, but didn't set it up until about three weeks ago. After reading a lot of the reviews (good and bad), I went out and bought a USB cable figuring I would need it to get printer set up for wireless. Not True! I am probably one of the least computer-savvy person I know (I'm 63 years old and basically use my laptop for emails, FB and Google searches). That being said, I took printer out of box, installed ink cartridges, put disc in my laptop, followed directions (without having to use the USB cable...which I will be returning), and within 15 minutes I was printing data not only from my laptop, but also from my IPhone 4 and my IPad....plain and simple! I have since printed all sorts of things from every room in my house from my laptop and Apple products without any problems whatsoever. I am very happy with this printer, and honestly, not sure why other people are having problems getting it set up.