Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on October 9, 2013
The extra $10 is worth every penny compared to Amazon Basic remote.

Tested on a Canon EOS 70D (set camera drive to timer mode). Your results may vary.

Angles from:
- Front up to 12ft
- Back (YES!) up to 7ft
- Left up to 7tf
- Right (Memory Card side) Does Not Work. Strange.
- Top up to 5 ft (might need to press few times to activate shutter)
- Bottom up 5ft (might need to press few times to activate shutter)

Instant Capture: Yes

2 Seconds Timer: Yes

Video: Yes (w/ picture)
- On camera, set switch to video
- On remote, set to "2" for video on/off
- On remote, set to Instant (denote by ".") for Picture snap
- Note on picture capture. I noticed two horizontal lines top & bottom on the LiveView and ONLY on the liveView.

Bulb: Yes

Amazon Basic Remote I bought and returned: http://www.amazon.com/review/RCY7ET8FMJ5CJ/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00BCEJ0E0&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=
on June 21, 2011
I purchased this remote to use with my Canon Rebel EOS T3i and it performs very well. I have it attached to the Canon neck strap on my T3i so I will always have it with the camera--or did so until recently for I have now purchased a Canon EOS 7D and have ordered another RC-6 to place on the 7D's neck strap--I won't always have the T3i with me when using the 7D and vice versa--yes, the 7D also supports IR remote shutter release.

The unit is small, light weight, has a very long battery life, and as stated in the product description supports either immediate shutter release or a two second delayed release. The choice is switch selectable.

Indoors, in a typical residential sized room, the IR beam will bounce off of walls and/or the ceiling and therefore trigger the shutter from virtually anywhere in the room. Larger rooms can make this 'bounce' method a bit spotty or if the room is large enough cause it to totally fail.

Outdoors it is a different story. It is almost impossible to trigger the shutter from the rear or directly to the side of the camera especially on a bright day where the IR sensor can be swamped by IR from other sources. One must either extend the unit to the front of the camera or use a wired remote. One could say when using the RC-6 outdoors I've gotten used to standing behind the camera and holding the remote above and slightly to the right of the camera. From this point I get 100% reliable triggering and there is zero possibility of getting my hand or the remote in front of the lens. Most wired remotes have a very short connection so I find it more convenient to use the IR and not my wired shutter release. The only time I use the wired unit is for programmed shutter release.

I recommend this unit for anyone with a Canon camera that supports IR triggering.
on September 9, 2010
Works perfectly for the rebel t1i. read other reviews and we were a bit skeptical, but works with absolutely no problems!
on June 16, 2012
The button wears out with moderate use in as little as 3 months. I had to buy another one. What the button does is the bulb in the center starts sticking in the down position and does not release up. I will see if the new one does the same after a few months. . .
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 12, 2014
The Remote Controller RC-6 allows vibration-free remote firing of the shutter, making it ideal for long exposures on a tripod, macro, jumping in a group photo or selfies with a pole. It can also start/stop video recording. The RC-6 works with any EOS camera with an IR receptor, e.g., most Rebels, 10S, all Elan models, IX/IXE, 60D, 70D, 7D, 6D, 5D MKII and 5D MKIII. It is not compatible with the 1D series.

The RC-6 is primarily designed to trip the shutter from the front of the camera--hence an IR receptor on the camera grip--and is effective at 15 feet or nearer. You have a choice of immediate release or 2-second delay. The camera must be in self-timer mode in order to use the RC-6.

It will also fire the shutter from above, below or to the side of the IR receptor (on grip) so it makes a fine cable release. You'll need to experiment as the sweet spot behind, above and off to the side of the camera varies with individual models. Outdoors (no reflective surfaces), my 5D MKII triggers from 9 or 10 inches behind and above the camera whereas my 7D needed the RC-6 just above the grip area and angled downwards. Also, infrared beam coverage increases when reflective surfaces are present. In a small white room I can randomly fire at walls, ceilings and floors behind the camera and the reflections still trigger it.

The RC-6 also works with bulb and mirror lockup (MLU). For bulb exposures, fire the RC-6 once to open the shutter and again to close it. For mirror lockup (with appropriate CF set), fire the RC-6 set to 2 second delay: the mirror immediately swings up and the exposure is made 2 seconds later. MLU is not available with some Rebel series cameras.

To trigger video recording, set the RC-6 to 2-second delay (flip switch on back), set self-timer mode on the camera and be in LiveView with video mode active. Simply press the RC-6 once to start recording. Press again to stop.

If you need a shake-free method of firing the shutter for long exposures, want to avoid plugging in a cable, or need to get yourself in the picture or video, the RC-6 is a great way to go.
review image
on September 15, 2011
The remote works perfectly, i own a Canon 60D which has the transmitter built in.. i just needed the control... works with every setting on the camera, even bulb.
Real practical size, comes with the battery with should last a long time.
on January 11, 2011
Nice Remote for my Canon 60D DSLR. Worked straight out of the box. Got it at a good price. I'm very happy with this purchase.
on December 30, 2010
Works great!! I did have to read up in my Canon manual to learn how to work it but after that, we went outside to take photos with all the snow we got for Christmas and it worked great !!! We had a White Christmas here in Alabama and it was fantastic to be able for all of us to be in the photo!!
on April 12, 2011
I previously bought an unbranded, cheaper version of the Canon shutter remote for my 60D DSLR. I was seriously disappointed. I had to really go out of my way to point the remote at the camera for any chance of it working decently. The operating distance was terrible. That's when I decided to order the Canon brand.

Now, don't get me wrong. Some things in the black market / cheaper market work just as fine for less money. But not the case when it comes to their shutter remotes.

This remote is fast-acting, has a much further operating distance, and does the job great. I just couldn't get close to a normal result with the cheaper brands. It also comes with a mini pouch that holds the remote and attaches safely to the camera strap.

Very good buy. Avoid the cheap imitations if you're looking for great performance and reliability.
on July 25, 2011
Great product. Very very very easy to use once you get it. But NO instruction in the package. Does it worth the money? Maybe for $10~15. Yes...but for 23...maybe not as much.... It is for sure much much better than RC-5 for sure!

Instruction:
1. Setup your camera to whatever mode you would like. (M, B ... etc)
2. Focus (there's auto focus but Manual is strongly recommend!)
3. Set the method to "2 sec delay / remote"
4. Push the remote button in front of the IR receiver (middle of the camera handle)
5. Wa La! There you go!