Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote Controller for Canon XT/XTi, XSi, T1i and T2i Digital SLR Cameras
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 10, 2015
I bought the Canon RC-6 wireless remote to compare with the AmazonBasics Wireless Remote Control for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BCEJ0E0). I bought the AmazonBasics version first because it was ~$10 cheaper, but it's a little finicky so I was hoping the Canon brand would be better.

I have a Canon DSLR SL1 and tested both remotes with it (indoors). The range is pretty much the same, and neither outperformed the other. Same angles, same distance. I thought maybe the Canon would have a stronger signal (e.g. farther range, or from more angles pointed at the camera) but I couldn't find any spot where the Canon worked and the AmazonBasics did not. For both remotes, you basically have to have the remote pointed at the front of the camera. I wasn't able to get either remote to work from the sides and/or behind the camera. However, other reviewers say they've been able to, so it may just be the room/setting I was in.

Function:
In my experience, both brands performed the same.

Options:
- Both come with nice carrying cases.
- The AmazonBasics only has 1 option and that's to have a couple second delay before the camera takes the photo.
- The Canon has 2 options, 1 that allows a 2-second delay and another that takes the photo instantly. I thought I would like the instant option but since the camera wouldn't go off unless I was pointing it AT the camera (not behind my back, toward the ground, etc), it didn't leave me any time to "hide" the remote. Therefore I prefer the couple seconds delay option, which both remotes offer.

Ergonomics:
My final decision was based on ergonomics since performance was the same between the 2. Both are pleasantly small and comfortable to hold. The Canon is slimmer but wider, so it was harder to "hide" in my hand if I'm trying to be in a photo (I'm petite with small hands). This was my ultimate deciding factor to keep the AmazonBasics and return the Canon (esp. since AmazonBasics is cheaper).
review image review image
55 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2010
This remote is far smaller than what I had expected. It is thinner than a pencil and is only a little bigger than my thumb. It also comes with a small, but fairly high quality, case. The remote doesn't do anything fancy other than send an IR signal to your camera as a shutter release. I wouldn't use this for long exposures (get the RS 60/80/TC80) for that. This remote has pretty impressive range too (it almost matches my pocket wizard, but line of sight is needed). For the most part, I use this for self-portraits and for photographing group shots that include me.

Although it doesn't say this in the description, this remote does work for the 7D (I use it). Just remember to set your camera to wireless mode under "Drive".
55 comments| 226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2010
The wireless remote is nice, lightweight and easy to use. The only thing I wish it could do is work from behind or even from the side of the camera. You must be facing the camera to hit the infrared sensor with the remote. If that would be something you would like too, I would recommend the wired version.
1010 comments| 239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2011
This remote offers a lot of versatility for a great price in a small package. First off, it works with "Bulb" mode which is great for certain applications (see photo in images). Many other remotes I came across did not offer this. It also allows you to change a 2 second shutter delay or instantaneous. The nice thing about this is that some other canon remotes only offer a 2 second shutter delay. This is great if you are in the shot and need to hide the remote out of view. But I also use the remote when I have my camera set up for tripod shots where you don't want to touch the camera in order to reduce camera shake (fireworks, macro shots, landscapes, etc). When I am using these applications I don't want to wait 2 seconds for the shutter. This offers both options which is great. The remote is also very compact, easy to slip in your pocket, or into the front accessory pocket of your bag for easy accessibility.
This remote also works for starting and stopping video which is a nice addition with cameras such as the Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD (Body Only),Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only), or Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens.
As far as the inability to use this from behind the camera and others lowering their rating because of this, I was aware that it would not work from behind and it was something I was willing to deal with. Your IR receiver is in the front of the camera. This is not a fault of the remote, just how it works.

Side note:
For the customers that mentioned this not working with their camera, or anyone who is unsure. Go to the Canon USA website > Consumer and Home Office > Products > Cameras. Select your camera (if available) > Supplies & Accessories. Under the sub-section remotes, you will see the remotes that are compatible with your camera.

EDIT: I have edited my review and docked one star after a recent experience with the camera. If you use this remote outdoors in sunlight, and especially in shaded areas with light breaking through (ie under trees). My recent experience ended up in quite a bit of frustration for family portraits (which included myself). I could not get the camera to fire from more than 6 feet away with this remote. Which is much less than the 16 foot range it advertises. Otherwise still a great remote.
review image
22 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2010
I received the RC-6 and am using it on my Canon T2i. It worked flawlessly from the get-go. Just point it at the front of the camera and fire! That 10 second mad dash is history! The RC-6 can be held at a low angle from perpendicular, and it still works. There is also a switch on the back of the remote that lets you change from instant action to a two second delay, if you wanted to have the remote concealed in the picture. This feature is very easy to use. Don't forget to change the "drive mode" from "single shooting" to "remote;" your camera manual will explain that, if needed. When you're done using the remote, you'll need to restore the original setting, otherwise you'll get an unwanted delay in your shutter release.

The RC-6 is very light weight, and smaller than I expected, but not in a negative way. Approximate dimensions are 2.5" tall, 1.25" wide, 0.1875" (3/16") thick (63mm X 32mm X 5mm). A few of the other reviewers said that the RC-6 was cheaply built, but I disagree with that assessment. Don't let the lack of weight fool you! Another point others made was the inability to use this remote from behind the camera while using a tripod. If you hold the remote with your right hand and point it toward yourself and in front of the camera's right side (next to the lens so that the IR signal will work on the camera, and so you don't get your hand or remote in the picture), you can trigger the shutter release while standing behind the camera. If you're using a shorter lens, you can always angle your remote hold position. This process is not as convenient as using the corded RS60-E3, for example, but it'll due in a pinch. It's a very nice remote and comes with a matched carrying case. You can't go wrong, and the price is right!
22 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 18, 2012
I tried the generic brand one , it worked just once, I mean for one photo and then went dead. I also looked into getting another generic one but it had many one star reviews stating that it did not work with the Canon Rebel T2i.

So I broke down and ordered the OMD Canon RC-6. As you can see from the video it worked like a snap right out of the box. It had a very good range and seems to work just by pointing it at the camera and the sensor has no problem picking it up. It worked very well from 15ft away.

So I am happy I spent the extra bit of money for the "offical" remote and will update this review in a few months to see if it is still kicking. At least it has lasted longer than the Generic one.

I also ordered this one directly from Amazon so I have 30 days to play with it and return it at no cost if need be. I always try to avoid outside sellers if I can since I have been charged return shipping on a couple of occasions when a return was in order. But if you order direct from Amazon you get a free return label and it couldn't be easier. You can usually tell it is from Amazon directly if the shipping says, "Eligible for free super saver shipping," or it has the Amazon Prime label. Just a little side tip.
on July 27, 2010
I was skeptical while purchasing this remote if it would work with my Canon EOS 7D camera but then it worked perfectly fine. Addition of a pouch, which could be fixed to the Camera strap, was a pleasant surprise!!! A small hole on it's edge, can work as a keychain holder too!!! The remote works pretty much as a point and shoot!!!Canon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD and 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
66 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2011
The Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote is a small, useful tool when working to minimize camera shake. Its one-button design is simplicity itself. The only inconvenience I've encountered in using the product is the limited angle of operation. You must be in front of the camera to trigger it with the device. When shooting ultra-wide scenes this can be a problem. I would strongly recommend attaching its tiny case to your camera strap to avoid losing it!
on January 27, 2011
Works with the 7D, just set your drive mode to "self timer". Has a switch on the back that can be used to set the remote to instant shot or 2 second delay when in "stills" mode. During video recording setting 1 trips the shutter and setting 2 starts and stops the video recording.

Comes with a battery and a handy storage pouch that you can a-fix to your camera strap.

Indoors with a new battery, I have a measured 33 foot range from the front of the camera and 6 foot from behind. Maximum manual shutter release time is about 1.5 shots per second. In bulb mode, you press the remote once to open the shutter and again to close the shutter no need to "hold" the button.

The only real down side is you cannot do a "half press focus" with this remote. When you press the button you get instant focus and shutter release. This is not a big deal for portraits but might create some difficulties for macro or extreme zoom work where even the slightest touch of the on camera shutter might effect your cropping. I would most likely use a wired remote in those situations.

Overall a good remote but would be more versatile with "half press focus"
on March 6, 2011
I got this for my canon 5d Mark II and it solves my problems with shaking while pressing the shutter release button. Works great. Since these cameras are getting little heavier, I would recommend it to exploit the great sharpness of canon 5d Mark II. Highly recommended.