1,954 of 1,985 people found the following review helpful
Published on April 23, 2008 by Hyun Yu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Macros...Poor medium to long range Autofocus
I picked up this camera two weeks ago at a local store. Overall, it's a solid camera. Color reproduction is wonderful, it's quick, low noise with high iso, and terrific macros. The camera is blazing fast. Please refer to the other posters for the good points of this camera.

Published on July 6, 2008 by Just another reviewer

1,954 of 1,985 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, one of the best low(er)-end DSLRs on the market, April 23, 2008
This review is from: Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
My journey with DSLRs began back in 2003 with the original Digital Rebel. DSLRs changed my photography for the better like nothing else. Five years and some 25,000 shots later, it's still going strong. Along the way I upgraded to the Canon 30D, which is a fantastic camera as well. When the 40D was announced, I decided to wait until the 50D sometime in 2009, but wanted a newer backup/second body for my photography needs. So when the XSi/450D was announced, it sounded like a perfect fit for my needs.

I got it from Amazon.com three days ago, and have given it a pretty good workout since then, having shot about 650 shots under a variety of shooting conditions and with a number of different Canon and third-party lenses. The following are my impressions.

The build feels very good. The camera feels wonderfully light yet well built. I'm 6ft tall with average size hands, and the camera feels good in my hand. The battery grip, to me, defeats the purpose of having a small, light DSLR, so I opted for a Hakuba/Opteka grip (it's a plate that screws into the tripod socket that enables you to use the excellent Canon E1 hand strap with it) and I couldn't be happier. I'm not a fan of neck straps, so this works well for me (see the uploaded photo for the configuration).

Most of the menu buttons on the back feel different from the ones on the original Digital Rebel and the 30D; the XSi buttons feel more tactile and have a definite "click" to them when you press them. The exception are the Exposure Lock (*) and AF selector buttons, which have retained the deeper, softer feel of the older cameras. Just different, not better or worse, for me.

The LCD is now 3" with 230K pixels. The playback images look great, and probably because of the higher resolution of the sensor, there's a very slight delay when you zoom in to 10x while the image loads and displays properly. People coming from other cameras or brands might not even notice it--I only did so because of the difference between it and my two other Canon DSLRs (which have lower resolution sensors). The viewing angle of the LCD screen (how clearly you can see the screen from side and up and down) is excellent; you can still see the screen holding the camera almost straight up for an overhead shot (more on this later). I'd estimate the viewing angle is about 160-170 degrees both horizontally and vertically.

The Digital Rebel has a separate status screen above the main LCD screen, and the 30D had one on top of the camera, so I wasn't sure if I was going to like the big LCD acting as the status screen and no top screen. I'm happy to say that this arrangement works well, at least for me. The back screen makes it really easy to take all the settings at a glance. The viewfinder is much larger and brighter than that in the Digital Rebel. A humongously welcome feature for me is the always displayed ISO value in the viewfinder.

The camera is only 1/2 of the image quality equation, the other being the lenses being used. Coupled with my favorite lens, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L telephoto lens, the XSi turns out fantastic images. The supplied kit lens is very light and compact for being an image stabilized lens, and turns out good performance. The IS is certainly very useful.

Two features that used to be missing from the Digital Rebels and found in the more expensive DSLRs are now featured in the XSi: spot-metering and flash exposure compensation (these may have been available in the previous Digital Rebel model, the XTi, as well). The inclusion of those two features make the camera a much more complete and compelling photographic tool. The timer function now has a custom mode, where it'll count down from 10 seconds then take a number of shots (specified by you) in succession. No more running back and forth to reset the timer after each shot! There's also the traditional 2-second timer.

Let's talk for a minute about sensor and the ISO values. XSi/450D has five ISO values you can choose: 100 (best image quality), 200, 400, 800, and 1600. Higher ISO increases the camera sensor's sensitivity to light, thus you can achieve faster shutter speeeds for a given lighting condition. However, the trade-off is that the sensor "noise" (think grain for film photography) increases with higher ISO, so you get a degraded image quality in return for less blurred photos from hand shakes (thanks to faster shutter speed). This may come in handy in situations where flash photography is not permitted, such as a museum or a concert or theater. HOWEVER, compared to point-and-shoot digital cameras, the larger sensors of DSLRs, including the XSi, means that even at ISO 800 and 1600 you get very usable images right out of the camera. Running the images shot at those ISO settings through any number of third-party noise reduction software will improve them even further.

This ties in to another very useful feature of the XSi/450D that makes life easier for the photographer: The Auto ISO function. By default, Auto ISO sets the ISO (the sensor sensitivity to light) between 100 and 800 (by using custom functions, this can be changed to 200-1600). If you are, for example, shooting your kid's indoor basketball game and you know that you need a shutter speed of at least 1/200 sec to "freeze" the action, then you can set the camera to Tv (shutter priority mode) and set the value to 1/200, and set the camera to Auto ISO. Then the camera will match the aperture and the ISO to achieve proper exposure at that shutter speed. With my other DSLRs, setting the camera to shutter priority only allowed the camera to adjust the aperture value; ISO setting had to be adjusted manually. With the XSi/450D, the ability for the camera to adjust the ISO value automatically makes it one less thing for you the photographer to worry about.

I've only tested the Live View function to see how it works, but I can already see how useful it's going to be in studio and macro shootings. Just a note, you can't half-press the shutter to autofocus while in Live View mode. You can either manual focus, or use one of the two autofocus methods, quick (the mirror flips up, the LCD goes dark for a short while, and flips down with focus locked) or live (the camera uses the LCD's contrast detection to achieve the focus--this method is slower than the quick method), both by pressing the exposure lock button (*) while in the Live View mode. Using either the RS-60E3 wired remote or RC-1 wireless remote in Live View mode will ONLY trigger the shutter, and has no bearing on focusing.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the inclusion of the Live View feature will enable them to use the XSi/450D as they do point-and-shoot digital cameras, to compose their shots. That is not the case. You can't really make a functioning use of the Live View feature unless the camera's securely mounted on a tripod or on a flat surface. Both Live View focusing modes, while precise, are too slow to be used for hand-held shooting.

Having said that, there is one use of Live View in hand-held shooting that I've come to value. When shooting overhead or over an obstacle, I can, with the same hand holding the camera, trigger the Live View, compose the scene through the LCD monitor (even if it's out of focus, it's easy to get the general framing right), disable Live View, and take the photo normally. With a little practice, this can be accomplished very quickly. Very handy when you're just holding the camera overhead and hoping for the best.

The Direct Print button that's been much ridiculed and maligned in most Canon cameras now double as the white balance menu button. The Set button in the middle of the four-direction arrow keys can be programmed for a number of different functions: Change image quality, flash exposure compensation, LCD monitor on/off (same as Display button, but can be triggered by the same hand holding the camera), and Menu display (again, can be triggered by the same hand holding the camera).

There is a dedicated ISO button, which is also very welcome. It can easily be accessed during shooting with the right thumb, thereby minimizing the interruption to shooting.

The battery life seems very good. I've shot about 500+ shots on a single charge and the status monitor is still showing charge at full.

I'm using Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card with it. At ISO 100, the camera reports it can fit 396 RAW+JPG (highest quality) on it, but in reality it can probably fit about 420-450 (the camera's always conservative when estimating). With RAW only, it can fit 507. With highest quality JPG, it can fit 1,822. Note that as ISO increases, so do the file sizes and thus you can store less images per card. For example, on ISO 1600, the same card can only hold 323 images, compared to 396 at ISO 100.

My only gripe, and this is more about me than the camera, is the RAW+JPG buffer. I always shoot RAW+JPG, and the buffer will only hold four images at that speed (this is a limitation that's built into the camera's memory buffer system, and thus using a fast memory card doesn't help--see p.64 of the manual). When the buffer's full, you can take two additional images at about a frame a second, then have to wait until the buffer empties (finishes writing to the memory card). When shooting RAW only, it's 6 images. When shooting JPG only, then it's no problem at more than 50 frames. I've found myself switching the mode dial to Sports mode when I'm shooting a fast-moving subject and the buffer simply can't keep up with it. Well, that's why Canon produces different grades and ranges of DSLRs.

I've uploaded some photos that I shot of the local wildlife. Most if not all of those were taken with the EF 70-200mm f/4 L lens.

All in all, it's a fantastic camera. Pretty amazing to see how far the entry-level DSLRs have come in just a few years in terms of features, interface, ergonomics, and quality. I'm very pleased with my purchase and intend to have lots of fun shooting pictures with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, amazing battery life, now the perfect price!, April 22, 2008
I have had the XSi for about 3 months now and I am thouroughly impressed with it. This is my first DSLR and I was a little wary about going with a brand-new and untested camera, but I have always like Canon (I used an ELAN II in High School and I bought a SD600 about 2 years ago to take snapshots of my son). Overall, I have not been disappointed with the quality of the photos that the XSi produces. The IS lens works great and I have taken some pretty amazing photos (for me at least). I do have just a couple of issues, both good and bad, that I think those who are looking at buying this may want to know.

Battery life -- Great battery life. I should say, AMAZING battery life. I have taken over 5000 photos and I have only had to charge the battery twice.

Live View -- LiveView is not for beginners. It is not a replacement for your Point-and-Shoot. You can't use it in the AUTO mode (Green Square). This isn't that big of a deal for me, I prefer full manual myself, but the whole point of this feature, I thought, was to make it more user friendly for the Point-and-Shoot photographer. My wife can't use Live View in it's current form (I specifically bought a DSLR with a live view function so she could still use the camera). So, if Live View is a big selling point for you, You may want to look at some others (If it isn't that big of a deal to you, then this is still an amazing camera -- added 4-23-2008). If you do studio work, though, you can hook the camera up to your PC and use it as a remote viewer. But it is not a point-and-shoot camera in Live View. In my earlier review, I said that it would be nice if Canon fixed some of the Live View issues with a firmware update, I was mistaken. Live View is a nice feature once you figure out it is not meant for beginners. Studio and landscape photographers will find Live View a great tool.

Image Quality -- I have had some great success shooting in a studio setting as well as some great outdoor shots. In the studio, I used tungsten "hot" lights with the subjuect against a white background. The photos turned out great. Skin tones are perfect and there is very little, if any, chromatic abberation at the edges. It shoots great outdoor shots as well. We just got into beekeeping and I was able to get some AMAZING shots of our bees up-close outdoors. The bees looked dirty and not very interesting from a distance, but the macro photos I got up close are beautiful and full of wonderfully crisp details. The lens is a little short, the image quality you get from it is pretty good considering it only costs $100. I do plan on buying a longer lens in the near future.

Overall, the camera is solid and feels nice in the hand. It isn't too heavy, yet still feels sturdy. If you can afford the higher price, I don't think you will be disappointed. If you can't, the XTi is still a great camera. And if you can afford to wait a few months for the price to drop a little (LIKE IT ALREADY HAS!!) I would. I was able to work a few extra weekends so I could afford to get this, and I can tell you, I don't mind it a bit, because the quality of photos I am getting has been totally worth it.

--- Update ---
I was incorrect when I said you couldn't use the 9-Point autofocus in Live View. You can use the 9-point autofocus while in Live View, but the mirror flips down and focuses so you can't see what you are trying to focus on until after the camera has actually gone through the autofocus process.

--- Update #2 ---
I have now had this camera for almost two months and I am happy to report that the more I use it, the more I love it. Once you learn the layout of the camera and you load the MyMenu with the tools you use most often, the camera becomes an absolute delight to use. I have taken over 5000 photos with it so far and now I need an extra hard drive to put them all on.

I was able to rent a Canon EF 24-105 IS L lens and a 580 EX II Speedlite for my sister's wedding. WOW! What great photos. The camera interfaced with the flash flawlessly and I am more convinced than ever that much of the quality of your photos comes from the glass you use and not as much from the camera itself (I think it is about 65% lens to 35% camera body give or take a few points-- I know there will be those who disagree, but that is my take on it, and I am sure if I had a 1Ds MkIII I would think that there wasn't a peice of glass good enough for my camera).

This is a great beginner dSLR and a great camera all around. I am very happy with my purchase and I have had no regrets whatsoever about spending the $900 to buy such a great tool. Amazon now sells it for $799, you can't go wrong at that price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful digital camera!, June 2, 2008
John Korkow "John Korkow" (Vermillion, South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This camera is impossible to beat at this price. I won't write a lengthy review, but, you can set this camera in fully automatic mode and hand it to a "point and shoot" person, and they will obtain fantastic results. For the amateur photographer, this has all of the bells and whistles, what I love is I can reset the camera rapidly for multiple shots of the same scene on very different settings. Married with a decent photo program on your computer, it is possible to achieve professional results.

Many reviews say, get this with the stabilization lens.... I wholeheartedly agree... the extra $100 is a bargain price for this lens... It is almost (and I do say almost) like having a tripod. I set the camera for 1/10th second exposures with no support, and obtained steady pictures with it, slower than this, and the stabilization did not fully correct for any unsteadiness.

We'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and I wish I could get one for everyone I know!! Best photos that I have ever taken and a joy to use! Connecting it to the computer and downloading photos takes a matter of seconds.

Get the largest SD card you can afford with it... We have a 2GB card with it, and it fills fairly rapidly. 1GB is far too small for this camera (primarily because you will take numerous shots with it, not because the pics take up a great deal of memory), I'm guessing 4GB would be near perfect (or a couple of 2GB cards, but one 4GB is safer, the cards are too easy to misplace).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Macros...Poor medium to long range Autofocus, July 6, 2008

Now i'll discuss the shortcomings. The major one, which has been referenced to in various forums such as dpreview and a few online review sites is poor AutoFocus. Not all cameras are affected, but mine was. If you shoot at an object from w/in 10 ft, it has trouble over 50% of the time picking up the autofocus point and often selects the wrong point. If you use center focus, it gets pretty close but final image is still a bit blurry. It becomes a bit sharper w/ the live view autofocus system. When I took some outdoor pics of some animals, i couldn't quite lock on what i was interested in. Even when taking shots of people outside w/ a prominent background, it seems to have trouble deciding if it wants to focus on the person or the background. I'd say that 20% of my shots were actually in focus and those look wonderful. The remaining ones had the focus off. So i'm gonna send my camera to canon for repair. I went to best buy and tried out a 40D and the focus was rock solid. If you get a good camera, kodus to u.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great camera!, May 31, 2008
The XSi is a significant step forward for Canon, and brings features to the upper end of the consumer market that were previously only seen in much more expensive professional equipment.

The most important reasons I like this camera are:

1. The kit lens (EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS) is very good for the price. It is as sharp as lenses costing $700 to $1,000 and has only minimally greater barrel distortion and no vignetting to speak of. There is a little bit more chromatic aberration than with more expensive lenses, but again it completely acceptable, especially for the price. The autofocus and image stabilization work reliably and quickly. For aficionados of professional grade lenses, the build will seem light, but a light and small lens is also easier to carry around. Overall, a big improvement over earlier Canon kit lenses.

2. The 12.2 megapixel sensor provides more than enough resolution. Even 8"x12" enlargements are highly satisfactory. We can look forward to the day when consumer-priced 35mm SLRs will have 30 megapixel full size sensors. At that point, the 35mm format will be maxed out in terms of resolution, as the lenses will not be able to keep up. In the meantime, this is as good as it gets. To give you an idea how good, on a shot of a 25 story building, every brick was clearly visible.

3. The camera is fast enough for essentially all non-professional use. With natural lighting (no flash) it shoots 3.5 frames per second, perfect for capturing kids or sports action.

4. Another great feature of the XSi is that it has all the manual controllability that advanced photographers want, but also has automatic modes that even a complete beginner can easily use. The performance of the preset automatic modes is surprisingly good under a wide range of conditions.

Having only had the XSi for a few weeks, I cannot yet say anything about the reliability of this new model. What I can report is that in more than 30 years of photography, I have found Canon products, both SLR and point and shoot, to be by far the most reliable. The Nikon, Olympus, and Pentax cameras I once owned have long since fallen by the wayside, but every Canon I have ever had, all the way back to a 1978 35 mm AT-1 SLR, is still going strong.

4.0 out of 5 stars are you looking for a good DSLR that does not break the bank? This is it., April 24, 2008
Macauley86 (California, United States) - See all my reviews
i sold my beloved Nikon D70 after four years of use. I still miss it. I purchased a D40, but it never felt right. Picture quality was good, better than the D70, but I had to go through menus to do most everything (changing white balance, ISO, formatting the card, you name it), whereas the D70 had dedicated buttons. That makes all the difference in usability. Besides, the D40 does not even autofocus with my beloved 50mm 1.8 lens. Are you kidding me? I returned the D40 after 3 days of use.

I was lookind at the D80, 40D, the D300, the XTI, and this one. All good cameras (at the end of the day, they all take excellent pictures). it's the usability/sweet price/new features factor that counts. 40D and D300 are expensive for me (not a pro). The XTI is getting old (still good though, and very good price). The D80 is very good, a bigger brother of my beloved d70, but still old: no sensor cleaning, to highlight tone priority, does not ship with a bundled VR lens. You are basically buying a 2006 camera in 2008. I did not like that.

I found this XSI at Circuit City. It felt right in my small hands. It had most of the buttons I need to make changes quickly. I still have to go to a menu to set my custom white balance (the D70 had a button for that). Same thing to format the card (button combination on the D70). Auto ISO is not as smart as Nikon's implementation. Other than that, the camera is excellent. All the other buttons are there. It has an RGB histogram (very important; it lets you see if you are clipping individual colors). Picture quality is great. Very little noise (Canon's CMOS sensor is cleaner than Nikon's CCD on the D80), very pleasing skin tones (I take lots of pictures of my daughter and wife).

If the D80 had the same 2008 features as this one (highlight tone priority, self-cleaning sensor, bundled VR lens), I would have gotten that one. It's still a great camera. This one is just a 2008 camera with features found in the semi-pro 40D and the pro 1DS.

I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars first time DSLR owner, April 29, 2008
A. Aganad (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If you do a search on reviews of this camera you will find a lot of first time DSLR buyers deciding to get this camera. I am one of them. After years of Point and Shoot camera use thinking the convenience of carrying them and using them was worth it, I came to the realization that I wasn't happy with most of the pictures I took. They preserved the moment but almost none of them were worth blowing up or printing. Mediocre flash, zoom, megapixels, etc limited me and the pictures.

I love all the features of this camera for the price, especially the dedicated ISO button on top and the menu system is very easy to figure out, and the 3 inch LCD screen. There is also the switch to SD memory cards which are apparently easier to use than CF. It is so easy to take the card out, put it in an SD USB card reader, load the pictures and return the card to the camera, rather than have to fiddle around with opening the little door on the camera and connecting a cable from it to the PC.

If you are contemplating buying your first DSLR you must remember that the camera is just the start. You will need to invest in a quality external flash to improve your flash pictures. And there is the various zoom lens, that now utilize Image or Optical Stabilization, a technology worth the extra cost. I was happy to do all this and I am absolutely satisfied with this camera and the Canon lens and flash as well. I now am very happy with carrying a bigger but absolutely superior camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed Simply, June 5, 2008
I'm a professional photographer. I shoot editorials and advertising. I own a couple Canon 1Ds Mark 3. That being said, I wanted a small compact camera to take around with me. I first purchased a Sigma DP-1, but found it limiting and too slow. I sold it and decided to purchase the Canon 450D (XSi). And I am simply amazed at the functionality and speedy feel of the camera. Yes, it's not as small as a DP-1, but compared to a 1Ds Mark 3, it's tiny. Every feature of this camera is well thought out and they loaded it with much current technology as possible. I can't think of a single thing to complain about. I see people complaining about the buffer, but honestly if you NEED high buffer on RAW shooting then take the plunge and buy a 1D or 1Ds.

It's not a professional grade camera by functionality and build. But the image quality is on par. sRAW on a 1Ds Mark 3 is precisely the same as this camera MP size. I would feel very comfortable with the image quality of this camera to do a editorial shoot (non-sport) with it. But of course, the client always wants to see the big expensive camera, since they're paying you. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The next/best thing from Canon, May 3, 2008
L. Shuler (North Carolina, United States) - See all my reviews
We'll start with what this camera is NOT:

1) It's NOT a full-frame camera. That means it's smaller, lighter, and the resulting 1.6x crop factor is important to remember if you have EF lenses already. But because it's smaller it offers less features making it easier to use at the expense of being slightly less functional. These are, for the most part, obscure features nobody will ever use anyway. Also, because it doesn't have features like 6.5 fps, a pentaprism, and Flash Exposure Bracketing, it is less expensive than the x0D series.

2) The XSi is NOT a point-and-shoot digicam. Don't expect it to do videos, sound, or to incorporate all kinds of convenient uber-automation. While 'cool', this automation usually just keeps you from controlling what you want to do yourself. Most of the time, this camera will stay in "P" or "program mode" for me. There is a green setting for point-and-shoot operation, but all this does is disable most of the features that you buy the camera for.

2a) Live View is NOT the same as the LCD viewfinder on point-and-shoot digicams. Don't expect it to focus fast or provide the same functionality. Live View is intended for a camera mounted on a tripod or held steady. It is a GREAT way to get perfect focus when you need it. You just zoom in to 10x magnification and manually focus or let the contrast detection do it for you. But, it is NOT an LCD viewfinder. As long as you don't think it will be (I was stupid enough to think that way) then you know before you buy.

The bad: (in all fairness, these are true of most modern DSLR's)

1) The battery is improved, yes, but it's REALLY expensive. I bought a generic battery for a backup. Keeping the Canon battery fully charged, of course, and only using the generic when the Canon is charging.

2) The LCD screen is right where my nose and cheek go. You can't avoid getting the glass all dirty and that gets annoying. And if the S5 can have an articulated 2.5" screen, why can't the XSi?

3) A cheesy rubber cover. I like that all of the inputs are on the side, but I just hate these cheesy rubber covers. I would prefer a sliding cover or, better yet, use the space next to the SD slot.

4) Battery door on the bottom. On my tripod, I can't access the battery without removing the camera from the tripod. This was also an issue with my first two digital Rebels.

Now, we'll do a reality check:

1) To those who say, "It's only 12mp," they're right. But, understand that unless you're printing bigger than 8x10", this resolution is better than adequate. In fact, the majority of the lenses out there don't have sufficient resolution to go above 12 megapixels. What I mean is that you can have a 100 megapixel camera but your lens is only really pushing out 10mp worth of quality resolution, what's the point? Many point-and-shoots have too much resolution for their lenses. Just try blowing up a typical 10mp p-&-s image to 8x10 and see what you get. Chances are, the 8mp sensor from the Digital Rebel XT did better.

2) Some will say "It feels flimsy." I completely disagree. It feels solid and durable to me. Now, if you don't know this already, the plastic is actually a covering and environmental seal. Underneath, there is a stainless steel frame that holds everything solid. Your strap attaches to the frame directly as does the lens mount, tripod mount, and sensor. The plastic isn't structural so however it might FEEL to you, the camera is, in reality, stronger than you might think. Now, I can understand if you're used to tough magnesium shells that you might be prejudiced against the plastic, however this camera costs hundreds less. One cannot justify criticizing the Rebel series if they aren't willing to pay the extra for the x0D series.

3) Critics say that APS-C is going to be obsolete. That's absurd! Remember that there are now scores of APS-C lenses from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina and those numbers continue to grow. Further, APS-C cameras are selling like hotcakes without any sign of slowing down. These people are the same ones that kept their Reel-to-Reel players because they were higher quality. Higher quality, yes, but you can't say that CD's aren't going to sell well because reel-to-reel is higher quality. APS-C is becoming the DSLR equivalent of what 35mm film was. Meanwhile, so-called "full-frame" sensor cameras are going the way of older 6x7 and 645 film cameras. They are limited to professionals and high-end enthusiasts. Why? Film was limited and topped out at resolution long ago. To get higher resolution, you needed bigger film. Not true with digital sensors. APS-C has not maxed out on resolution yet. Smaller sensors haven't even hit their stride. There is no reason sensors cannot hit 20-30 megapixels in an APS-C in the near future, but why? The lenses are still the limiting factor. In fact, it might be true soon that SMALLER will be better. As sensors get better, they can get smaller. It's cheaper to make a four-thirds or APS-C than a full-frame of the same quality level.

Here's where I get to play designer... what does the XSi need?

1) Articulating LCD. Like I said earlier, if Canon can add the articulating 2.5" screen to their S5 camera for $350 total, why in the world can't they put it on their best-selling DSLR?

2) Sliding door for the inputs. Cheesy rubber covers are not as cool as designers think they are. Why can't Canon just put one environmentally sealed door for the battery, SD card, and all the inputs? And, hey, why not put it on the side so you can access it while the camera is on the tripod?

3) Why all the inputs? Just have one USB slot to connect to the computer, to the TV, and use the same USB port for a DC input?

4) One dial? Why not two? The Pentax K20D allows you instant access to the aperature with one dial, shutter with the other. Cool.

5) Where did FEB go? Flash Exposure Bracketing? They had it on the XTi. Why did they take it away from me?

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations., May 4, 2008
My first dSLR purchase, but I come with a strong analog photographic background (medium- and large-format photography).

The XSI is very nice. It is nice and light-weight, great image quality, and is snappy in operation. I couldn't ask for much more (well maybe in-body IS like Sony, Pentax, and Olympus cameras).

I laugh at the people who call this an "entry-level" dSLR. The image quality exceeds Canon's $1300 semi-professional 40D model. The features that more-expensive models include are mostly minor conveniences. I took plenty of "professional" pictures with my 4x5" view camera. I get about 1-frame-per-15-minutes with a large-format camera. And yet people seem to think that the XSI's 3.5 frames/per/second makes it entry-level?! Most photographers need nothing more. Yes, if you are a professional wildlife or sports photographer, you want the upgrade. If not, then this camera should meet your needs and then some.