1,947 of 1,978 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, one of the best low(er)-end DSLRs on the market
My journey with DSLRs began back in 2003 with the original Digital Rebel. DSLRs changed my photography for the better like nothing else. Five years and some 25,000 shots later, it's still going strong. Along the way I upgraded to the Canon 30D, which is a fantastic camera as well. When the 40D was announced, I decided to wait until the 50D sometime in 2009, but wanted...
Published on April 23, 2008 by Hyun Yu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Macros...Poor medium to long range Autofocus
I picked up this camera two weeks ago at a local store. Overall, it's a solid camera. Color reproduction is wonderful, it's quick, low noise with high iso, and terrific macros. The camera is blazing fast. Please refer to the other posters for the good points of this camera.

Now i'll discuss the shortcomings. The major one, which has been referenced to in...
Published on July 6, 2008 by Just another reviewer

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First SLR camera ever owned, beginner., May 6, 2008
This review is from: Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL) (Camera)
What can I say, except that this camera is the best thing that's ever happened to me, next to my dear wife that is.

I came from point-n-shoot cameras, owned alot of them; mostly Sony and some were even half the price of this SLR. I've always had two major problems with point-n-shoot cameras. First, I always had to take 2-3 pictures for something to come out decent. It seemed that even if shooting in the same modes the color definition was always different in each picture taken. Second, it was a real challenge for me to capture objects in motion, most came out blurry; again I had to shoot 4,5+ times to get one acceptable result.

On the contrary, I decided to spend 900 bux and get this camera. It simply refuses to break pictures. I've taken pictures from busses out the window while in motion, i've taken pictures at fast moving objects, and it just refuses to break focus. I'm extremely surprised at how well it behaves, even in auto mode. It all feels like a dream.

The next thing i tried is the macro mode function at the Botanical Garden; and you can see some sample photos - the blue flower is one of the best :) I took about 5 pictures of each flower, because that's how I used to do it in the past. I shouldn't have. Each picture came out clear and sharp, however, keeping in mind that the kit lens is not really a macro lens, while shooting the really small flowers, there was some blurr, which is totally understandable. Some things are just too small to capture the details with the kit lens, not the camera's fault.

Another nice feature is the ability to update the firmware yourself, which we all know improves stability, adds new functionality, and, if there are any, corrects any software bugs.

The build quality is really solid too. It feels as solid as a rock, but not as heavy :)

Lastly, the battery. I haven't drained the battery but I have taken about 230 pictures, about 30 of those were at night with the flash. By the end of the day, I was still running with a full battery. So while I can't say exactly how many shots u can get on a full charge, I can confirm that the battery does not get exhausted easily.

Overall, if you have the money to spend and new to SLR's I would definately recommend this camera. Sure it's a bit expensive, but SDHC memory cards are cheap these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Camera Overall, June 21, 2008
enty (San Francisco, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This camera is really great!

UPDATE: I've had mine for 3 months and I've taken more than 3000 pictures. I still like it a lot. Amazing.

It's easy to use, the LCD screen is big and clear, it's quite light, and the packaged kit lens (18-55 IS) is good. It's not a top lens, but it delivers sharp photos across the zoom range. Default settings will give you great shots out of the box.
The 9-point auto focus is good most of times, but I found myself using the central point most often, even more so when using larger apertures (when right focusing matters most).

For under $700, this is the best DSLR you can find.

* Pros and Cons *
Pros:
- An easy to use, quick camera.
- Intuitive menus.
- 12 mega pixels.
- Great pictures, sharp, good tones.
- Small and light weight for a DSLR.
- Live view mode to almost mimic point and shoot feel-it's slow though.
- 3.5 shots per second-could be more.
- Sharp kit lens for the price.

Cons:
- Somewhat expensive compared to the Canon 40D (much lighter though).
- ISO limited to 1600.
- Relatively low fps.
- Exposure compensation range limited.
- Does not have video.

* The competition *
The closest competitor is certainly the Canon 40D, which is a bigger, more professional camera. It has more options, higher iso, remote flash, higher shots per second rate, fewer pixels but a definitely tougher feel.
I went for the rebel Xsi because I found the 40D too hefty.
Still, if you really want a professional camera you should look at the Canon 40D.
If you have a bigger budget, you should also look at Nikon, I really recommend the Nikon D300, it's a really impressive camera.

* Lenses *
Canon has LOTS of lenses.
If you're tight on budget, you should get the 50mm 1.8, a great lens for portrait. It's a very sharp lens. You'll enjoy the 1.8 wide aperture that allows blurred backgrounds and sharp , all of this for under $100.
It's also a good start to get used to shoot with primes (lenses with a fixed focal length).
The 18-55mm kit lens is often paired with the Canon 55-250mm IS lens to give you an almost 14x zoom (13.9), this Canon 55-250 is a very good telephoto lens if your budget is under $300.
If you don't want to change lenses, Canon just released the 18-200 IS and it comes highly recommended so far.
The Sigma 18-200 OS is good too. It's cheaper and it's been in the field for longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another outstanding Rebel offering, October 17, 2008
I am a semi-pro photographer who usually shoots with much more expensive bodies. Every now and then, however, I need to bring a smaller camera with me for whatever reason, and this is the one. Also, like a lot of pros and semi-pros I need to have an APS-C body in order to use the cult-followed Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens that only works on APS-C boides such as the Rebels.

In fact Rebels have been the one I go to to fill those needs for a few years now. A lot of semi-pros and pros criticize the performance of these cameras and/or the perceived weaknesses in ergonomics, size, and available functions. Is this a $1000 camera body? No it is not. Is this a $2600 camera body? No it is not. Is this a $6999.99 camera body? No it is not. I am hammering that point home because some people insist on comparing the Rebels to cameras like that. The comparisons are fine as long as price is factored in; if you leave price out of the equation then yes, this camera will likely lose out to a body costing more than a grand.

The following are some my random thoughts on this camera; I am not going to cover everything because others have done that well enough. I am going to address the issues important to me, a semi-pro photographer who sometimes needs to travel light.

ISO performance (this is most important to me in any camera for any price):

ISO 100: Outstanding
ISO 400: Great (and professionally competent) except for higher than desirable noise in the darkest shadows. Even shooting RAW and carefully post-processing, you will probably need to leave the shadows alone and not bring them out too much. I am nitpicking a little here for the sake of being thorough in the review; it is not by any means a terrible or "deal-breaker" level of noise in the shadows.
ISO 800: Usable for sure and better than expected, but noise certainly is apparent at this level--or rather the effects of noise reduction are apparent--and the in camera noise reduction is aggressive enough that some detail and sharpness is lost as a result of cleaning out the noise. Certainly usable but best at smaller sizes (8x10 or smaller) when printing and viewing.
ISO 1600: To me it's out of the question. I do have a higher standard than the average consumer as a semi-pro, so keep this in mind. I would use this setting only in such a dire situation that ISO 800 would be completely unusable. The noise reduction in ISO 800 is too aggressive, but it does result in the elimination of a great deal of noise. It seems they didn't even bother in ISO 1600. There is noise all over the place in ISO 1600. I haven't used a camera that I can remember that had such a huge difference between ISO 800 and ISO 1600. So, bottom line, IMHO you should stay away and only use in a pinch. I can't see printing anything larger than 4x6 with this setting. If that's your bag then you will probably be fine.

I do want to say regarding my opinions on the ISO handling that I did not buy this camera for high ISO performance. If you are planning on doing that I would think twice. Is it better than the Rebel, Rebel XT, and Rebel XTi? Certainly. Does that make it a good performer at high ISO? Not necessarily.

I do the vast majority of my shooting between ISO 100 and 400. I use fast lenses and I typically shoot during the day. This is especially true of the times I am using this camera. I don't go to a camera like this for high ISO performance. For that I grab the 5D. I go to this camera for the few times the 5D is not best for the situation. This camera delivers an outstanding image quality at ISO 100-400 and a usable one at ISO 800. To me this is all that matters. a 12MP DSLR with outstanding image quality for a little over $500 is what this is. You throw a nice Canon lens (nicer than the kit lens) on this and you have professionally acceptable results. I wouldn't use this camera if it didn't provide those results.

The only way the aforementioned 5D will outshoot this is (in an image quality respect) is if you are making enlargements or shooting higher than ISO 400. If you are using good glass, shooting RAW, and setting the ISO manually (which is what I do) this is an awesome camera. I don't care if anyone says otherwise, either. I don't have to--and won't--argue that point because I've seen the results.

Now, if you have never used a Rebel I do have to inform you that it is much smaller than the 20D, 30D, 40D, etc. bodies that you may or may not be used to. It is much harder for me to keep a good grip on this body than, say, the 40D. Again this is OK with me because I am not buying this for ergonomics. Again, I am buying this for value. Price combined with performance is how this arrives at a place of value. I need to keep repeating that because for some reason people always feel the need to compare cameras that are incomparable. If you are looking for the best performance in a DLSR combined with best price, it is my firm opinion that this is the camera.

Lastly, I want to say that if we are talking strictly image quality and nothing else like ergonomics and construction, IMHO the IQ from this camera is just as good if not better than the mildly overrated 40D. Given the vast difference in price of the two--almost 100% different actually--unless you are an ergonomics stickler I think the decision is a no brainer. You buy this and save the $500 for better glass, or just save the $500 for no reason other than saving $500 is cool. What I am looking forward to doing down the road is comparing the IQ from this to the IQ from the 50D. Again it equals or bests the 40D if we are talking strictly IQ. I returned the 40D last year after using it for 2 weeks. It just wasn't worth the price. The 40D to me is simply a Rebel XTi (XTi; not XSi) with better ergonomics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some points to consider when looking at DSLRs in this price range, March 1, 2010
If you're looking at the cameras in this price range, that means you're likely also looking at the Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, Sony A500, Olympus E-620 and even, potentially, the Canon T1i.

If you're looking at DSLRs and you think video on your DSLR is something you actually want or will ever use, you best stop looking at the XSi and instead focus on the K-x, D5000 and T1i. The XSi offers NO video functionality.

If your hope is to not need to spend extra money on image stabilizing lenses, then buy the K-x or the E-620. All the above listed cameras besides these 2 require you purchase lenses with image stabilization which is an extra cost on the lens as it requires more glass. Of course, the way around the need for image stabilizing lenses is to use a tripod or a monopod.

If you don't want to buy lenses, well, then you had better stop looking at DSLR/SLR cameras all together and jump into point and shoot. There are a lot of nice models with really good quality pictures out there.

REMEMBER, WHEN BUYING A DSLR CAMERA, you aren't REALLY buying a camera; you're buying a lens system. What do I mean? Well think about it this way. You are spending money on a camera body, yes. But you're also spending money on lenses. Lenses that are NOT interchangeable (except the Olympus method that not many manufacturers jumped on and then you still have to buy lenses to their spec and you would need a replacement camera with the same capability). If you buy this body today and begin to purchase Canon lenses, you are investing in Canon for, most likely, the rest of your picture taking "career." The camera body is the inexpensive part in this whole endeavor and if you purchase a 55-250mm lens today, along with many others, you most certainly won't want to re-purchase these lenses when you inevitably have to upgrade the camera. And that's where DSLR/SLR camera manufacturers get you. It's like Gillette and their disposable razor heads.

So why then, given all the above, would one purchase the XSi over all the competition? Price is one factor. Image quality is another (the pictures this camera can take are nothing short of breathtaking, but that's all a matter of opinion, so this is just my opinion and not a statement of fact I can quantify). One more is lens quality. Canon (well, really all the above) have been making lenses for YEARS. And in the lens department Canon and Nikon stand above the rest.

Why did I purchase this camera? Well Canon has been around a long time and actually started the DSLR revolution with the original Rebel camera. Their cameras always stand well on their own. While they may not stand head and shoulders above every camera out there, they do a tremendous job of holding their own in the market. My father owns a Rebel XT and it's an amazing piece of kit for when it was made. I bought this one because the T1i supposedly has some photo aberrations usually attributed to the sensor size that actually captures the image being too small to really utilize the 15 MP picture it is taking.

The price is good, I bought a brand I know and I can share lenses with my father. That's why I bought this camera.

I realize this review is pretty jumbled. Instead of writing a full review, as there are many other reviews here that do a much better job than I describing technical and non-technical details, I decided to just put down things I was thinking about as I purchased my first DSLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lived up to the hype, September 9, 2008
PROs: I am thrilled with this camera. After doing some research for a couple of months between this camera, the nikon d80 and the prestigious canon 40d, I decided on the XSi for my needs. Best overall price to my performance needs. Image quality is fantastic, even though the kit lens is at best, good. Going to purchase a 50mm 1.4, 70-200 4L, and a better walk around lens as soon as I get completely sick of the 18-55 IS kit lens, but for now its a good starter lens. Though I honestly think the nikon d80 and the 40d are better cameras for experienced and serious users, primarily I am loyal to Canon (best brand) and the 40d is just too bulky and expensive for me. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles provided by the 40d at this point of my life.
If you want a light, easy to use and learn (for first time users), long lasting battery (about 500 images), nice clear LCD and fairly cheap price to performance ratio this camera blows out all nikons, pentax, and sony's out there for the beginner/transitioning to intermediate shooters. I chose this camera over the 40d because its more suitable for me and most importantly I can use the price difference between the XSi and the 40d to get my 70-200 4L for free basically.

Cons: Again the common gripe over the grip, but honestly its not that bad if you have small to medium size hands. you will adapt quickly as the pro's of the camera immediately mask any cons present. No better kit lens option out yet.

Overall: Fantastic lens for beginner/beginner-intermediate users as the vast majority of professional reviews have stated...

Note: Please get a nice memory card I recommend the 4 or 8GB SanDisk EXTREME III (it's worth the extra $5-10) or any SDHC that is class 6, save a little change for some other lenses as you will fall in love with this camera and will be compelled to buy more lenses, and lastly buy some decent filters as you will appreciate the image quality and protection they provide. the RC-1 is a nice accessory. I hope this was helpful for you as all the other reviews were helpful to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Be Consumed By a New Hobby, July 13, 2009
I'll start by saying that this is my first SRL and I'm hooked. I liked taking pictures but I never was "into photography" until I got this camera. My wife used to have a film SRL and kept wanting a digital one, which eventually led to this purchase. No regrets whatsoever. I have had the camera about 9 months now.

Uses: I use this camera most frequently to capture moments from get-togethers with family and friends. It's great for taking pictures of children who don't sit still. I've taken lots of pictures of my dogs. It makes them look sweeter than I think they are. : ) The majority of my pictures are indoors but I take a large number outside too. I'm the official family photographer now.

Children: It is great for capturing personality and expressions of my young daughter. Often, I just point the camera at her and hold down the shutter release and let the continuous mode capture all the poses and expressions. I have gotten so many priceless pictures that never would have happened with a point and shoot (P&S) camera. Family and friends are always appreciative of me taking great quality pictures of their children as well. My pictures with this camera are usually better than what they have taken.

VS P&S: Too many times, I would grab my P&S, see a photo op, and take the picture only for the moment to be gone by the time the picture was actually taken. The speed of this continuous shooting mode on this great. The FPS of continuous mode is one of the main points that would get me to upgrade to a "nicer" camera. Lack of money and time (to really learn the DSRL) are really the only reasons to stick with a P&S.

VS Video: I think it is a personal preference thing but I prefer great pictures to video. Video is good to capture moments but there is just something very special about a great picture that I do not get from watching a video. There is a reason for the saying "a picture speaks a thousand words."

RAW vs JPEG: I tried going RAW for a while but every time I showed my wife the RAW I had tweaked in Photoshop Elements vs. the JPEG of the same shot, she almost always picked the dang JPEG so I'm almost always shooting the highest res JPEG these days. I do still plan to do more RAW in the future though. RAW gives you more options but takes more work.

Kit lens VS others: Hmm, this is always an interesting debate. I'm a visual guy but I'm not always the most detail oriented. I rarely use the kit lens though I like the focal length it provides for indoor pictures. My most often used lens is the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM prime lens. I'll be writing a review of that in the future and posting some pictures too. I'm thinking about getting a high end zoom in the next 6 months to a year. Basically, I want the quality and speed of that prime but the convenience of a zoom. That combination costs about a grand. I just have not decided to let go of that much money since I'm not a professional and do not receive any money for my pictures. I got the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom as part of a package deal when I got the XSi kit. I really like the focal length, especially for outside nature pictures. 250mm on this camera (1.6x crop factor) really reaches out. Having said that, it still makes me want more at times. There are some wildlife (mostly bird) pictures that I wanted that needed some extra reach. I got some pretty good zoo pictures with it. This camera's resolution with take advantage of the high end lenses so my wish list has gotten quite pricey.

Lens wish list - these are all expensive, maybe even crazy-expensive for an amateur:
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (macro photography is just fascinating to me)
EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom (both have pros and cons)
one of the EF 70-200mm L series lenses
longer reach 300mm-400mm lens

Ease of Use/Quality of Pictures: I am combining these two qualities because basically, with a DSLR, it comes down to how easily can you take really good pictures. I think it is a combination of luck and skill. You are not going to magically start taking the best pictures of your life just because you buy an expensive camera. It still takes work. I have a couple of coworkers who got a Nikon D90 around the same time I got this XSi. They have taken good pictures, but both have make comments that it is hard to take tons of really good pictures with a SLR unless you spend time learning about the camera, photography concepts, and practice. I think this is a great camera, but that 5 star rating doesn't mean it hands awesome pictures to you. I've seen quotes of the % of "keepers" that good photographers expect to have from a photo shoot. It isn't a very big number. I just want perspective buyers to know that it takes some effort to get consistently great pictures out of any SLR, especially the more varied the conditions and setting you are photographing.

Accessories: I've spent more on accessories than the price of the camera. Is that required, no. But it sure helps. : ) That is a main reason why I'm glad I didn't start out with a more expensive camera. It leaves money for other goodies. I got two lenses in addition to the kit one, a backpack, remote, tripod, several books, Photoshop Elements, and a couple of SDHC cards. Oh yea, I spent a pretty good chuck of change on the Speedlite 580EX II Flash too. It's great but can be harsh and startling to those being photographed if you aren't careful. I'm trying to take more natural light pictures instead of flash, hence some of my lens choices.

I hope this long review was helpful. I have really enjoyed this camera and starting photography as a hobby. It has opened up a whole new world to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. Great camera for serious beginners or back up camera for pros, December 26, 2008
I am new to SLR photography and I recognize that this is not considered a true "professional" dSLR but I don't think you can get much closer to one for under $1000.

Why isn't this considered a true professional dSLR? Well one big reason is the sensor size. It has what is called a APS-C sized sensor, while the professional ones have a full frame sensor like the 5D (check out the 5D Mark II, I've read great things about it). Another I think is the buffer size in the camera might not be as large so it won't take as many shots in burst mode before needing to stop to save as the professional ones. But other than that, you will basically get all of the important functions that make dSLR cameras so great.

First of all, don't get sucked into the megapixel wars. There are several point-and-shoot digital cameras that advertise higher megapixels than 12.2 that might cost less. What people often don't realize is that picture quality has little to do with the megapixels and more to do with the sensor and image processor. The megapixel number is simply the resolution of the image. A crappy image recorded in a very high resolution is just as crappy. Point and shoot cameras have smaller sensor sizes than dSLR cameras. Especially the compact cameras, that's why even when I was using P&S cameras I never bought a compact camera. They are more popular simply because they "look" sleeker and more stylish. The picture quality is obviously lower than that of a regular non-compact P&S camera AND they cost more, so there's really no real reason to buy them other than for the looks and the convenience. Although I've been able to carry my Canon Powershot A580 in my pocket without a problem...

This camera takes amazing photos, even with the kit lens, which I highly recommend if you're on a budget BTW. My mother has a friend that is the wife of a pro-photographer. So when I was in the market for a dSLR, my mother referred me to talk with her. Her first suggestion is to not get the kit lens but instead spend more for the 17-85mm ef-s lens. Well, I'm glad I didn't take her advice and went with the kit lens because I just read a review of the lens where the pro-photographer writing the review specifically compared it to that very lens and have said that the cheap kit lens is actually a bit better than the more expensive 17-85mm lens in terms of chromatic aberration problems which is where high contrast areas show a weird color outline due to the lens not focusing all the color wavelengths correctly. Although my main reason for going with the kit lens was financial, and was because of all of the positive reviews I've read about it. But it still turned out very well.

So don't let some pro's or semi-pro's discourage you from getting the kit. They're not wrong though, the kit lenses that came with Canon dSLR's in the past have been pretty bad, it's this specific kit lens that is the exception so be confident in buying it. You can always keep using this while you save up your money for better lenses later. A good addition to it would be the 55-250mm ef-s lens. I recommend that over the 75-300mm lens for several reasons. I've read worse reviews for the 75-300mm lens in terms of image quality, and because with the 55-250mm, you don't have a gap in focal lengths. Along with the 18-55mm kit lens, you basically have an uninterrupted range of 18-250mm.

One area where the quality of the sensor really shows is in low light shots with high ISO speeds. I haven't had the need to use any high ISO numbers yet, so I can't say personally, but from what I've read from many professionals who have reviews this camera, that even at the highest ISO setting of 1600, there isn't too much noise. Which is a very good thing.

One complaint I've read a lot about the previous compact dSLR's such as the XTi is the size and shape of the grip not being comfortable. Some say the grip on the right side was too close to the lens and caused their fingers to feel cramped against the lens. Well, let me tell you that isn't a problem with the XSi. I know they redesigned it for this very reason, and from my experience, it doesn't feel very cramped at all. The camera is indeed very light weight and compact compared to the more professional dSLR's so it's a great camera to bring with you on vacations or long hikes or whatever. I find all of the controls to be easy to reach and the settings are real easy to change on the fly.

The menu system is great too, it comes with a very useful feature called "My Menu" where you can actually pick any 6 functions you feel you will use the most and put them into this one menu and you can arrange it any way you want. Then you can make it the default menu so instead of it going to the last menu you were looking at when you hit the menu button, it goes straight to this customized menu of yours. It's a great feature and makes accessing special functions like mirror lock up, AEB, flash exposure compensation, etc. etc. very fast and easy.

I would highly recommend anyone looking to buy a sub $1000 dSLR camera to buy this camera with the kit lens. So far the only thing I found that I think needs to be added is interchangeable focus screens. I would have liked to have grid lines in my view finder to make composition faster and less of a guessing game when trying to apply little rules like the rule of thirds or keeping the horizon line straight.

I highly recommend reading Ben Long's The Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D Companion if you buy this camera. It will "show you the ropes" so you can use this camera to its maximum potential. Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure is a very good book to understand the proper use of shutter speed, ISO, and aperture. And when you open the package, within the manual and other cards and what-not, there is a blank white card. Don't discard this, keep it in your camera case, it's a simple tool to use for custom white balance. Read about it in the manual or book if you don't know what that is. It's an essential tool if you plan on taking any photos indoors without a flash.

Now stop reading these reviews and buy one of these cameras already, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, but a warning to you all..., July 9, 2008
Yanni Trump "Catman" (Tierra del Fuego, Anatarctica) - See all my reviews
I just got this camera and am beyond delighted with it. The quality and clarity of the images it captures are no less than mind-blowing.

However I would like to warn you all of something;

If you are plannning to buy this BECAUSE of the live-screen feature, DON'T!

In buying this, I could do without the live-screen feature, but I fear that there are people planning to buy this camera on the merits of this feature alone. The truth is, using the live-screen feature greatly diminishes the quality of your photos, and the feature is not available in all shooting modes.

If the live-screen feature is a large reason of yours to buy this camera then, I repeat, DO NOT!

If, however, you are purely looking for a very good camera that is worth its price (around $800 now) and can do without the live-screen than go ahed and buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera!, June 29, 2008
My husband and I bought this camera for our 35th anniversary because we wanted to take a driving tour through the redwood forests of California and the ocean along the Oregon coast. We figured the trip would be a warm up and review of what the camera could do. We are so pleased with the photos taken with this Canon Rebel TSi 12 Megapixel Camera. It came with an 18-55 mm lens and we purchased a 75-300 mm lens also. Neither of us are pro's with a camera but I loved the feature that lets you take multiple pictures one after the other. We had also purchased a High-speed SD memory disk and were able to get fantastic photos of waves as they crest, curl, and crash on shore. I was even able to get photos of sea gulls flying and with the larger lens they look wonderful. We also toured the lighthouses along the Oregon Coast and the camera took great pictures of those too, no mater what the distance was. I cannot wait to go on another whale watch cruise this summer here in Seattle. This time I think I will actually be able to capture the Orca pods and not have photos of the water only because my old camera took too long to focus before the picture would shoot. I was afraid that the bigger camera would be a pain to carry around but it really was not. Although bigger than my smaller digital camera, it is lightweight and was not really the problem I thought it would be. We both love this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality & price, May 27, 2008
I waited for months debating on whether to go ahead and purchase the Canon 40D or hold out for the new XSi. I am thrilled that I waited on the XSi. The quality is excellent! I purchased the XSi with the 18-55mm IS lens. The lens is a good walk around lens but I also purchased the 50mm 1.8 and the Sigma 70-300mm zoom. I tend to the leave the Sigma on more than any.

The XSi has nearly all the features of the 40d at a fraction of the cost. It's features are definitely well above the XTi and totally worth the upgrade. The 3" LCD screen is great for the live view shooting or reviewing. The buttons are placed great and it's very easy to navigate.

The body itself is not as heavy as the 40d but also doesn't feel cheap and weak. It's a huge step up from my Canon S3 IS, however, I still love that camera and all it's power too.

I have used the camera in numerous situations already and it prevails in all. Of course as with most, it does extremely well outdoors in light. It also exceeded my expectations indoors in low light. Even when I have had to bump the ISO to 800 or 1600, it performs wonderfully and there is very little noticeable noise. With my former cameras, I was never able to use high ISO settings because they were too noisy to fix with post processing. With the XSi, there is very little if any post processing work needed on the high ISO shots. It's wonderful for low light situations when you don't want that deer in the headlights flash look!

All in all, the XSi was totally worth the wait and the savings. The XSi is a fraction of the cost of the 40D and yet has nearly if not all the pluses of the 40D. I'd definitely recommend anyone debating between the two to go ahead and go with the XSi body and save your money for good lenses.

‹ Previous | 1 2 386 | Next ›