1,251 of 1,282 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great upgrade over other Rebels
I had this long awesome review and Amazon lost it of course. So here goes a second try.
This is my second Canon camera. Previously I have owned Olympus and Minolta cameras. I owned a t2i before this and used a t3i for weeks for testing purposes. I will try to cover most aspects of the new features and image quality. For testing purposes I used a Canon 17-40L...
Published on June 21, 2012 by E. Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars Low light performance? I'll just keep my T3i
I wanted to love the T4i and bought one as soon as it was made available. Most of the new features of the T4i are for "point-n-shooters" who want the camera to do all the thinking for them (there's nothing wrong with that); However, I shoot manual most of the time so these features are not a selling point for me.

The touch screen was nice and so was the swipe &...
Published on July 3, 2012 by Art P

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon T4i recall -- not to worry, August 15, 2012
In case you are worried that you will get your new T4i and have to send it in immediately for repairs, I received my Rebel T4i yesterday (Aug 14) that I ordered from Amazon Aug 7, 2012. It was all there with nice, black grips (not the white ones everyone is terrified of getting). My serial number is not on the Canon recall list, so I have to assume that all of the tainted cameras have been sent back by Amazon now and they are issuing nothing but newbies.

And, I know it has only been a day, but I am very impressed with this EOS. As stated elsewhere, the touch screen response is surprisingly quick and sure and I haven't been able to force the camera to do anything wacky or wierd yet. But I will keep trying:-) Photo quality is terrific. Just read any of the reviews (with sample shots) scattered around the Web. It's one precise little picture/video taker!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the 18-55mm kit, get the 18-135 STM, trust me!, January 13, 2013
When you get this camera, you will see that it takes great photos during the day and in good lighting conditions. You'll try out the movie mode, and if you got the 18-55mm cheaper kit, you'll realize that the noisy autofocus drowns out the sound in all of your videos. It'll make you wonder why you spent $659 when you're used to your point-and-shoot cameras making beautiful no-noise videos for under $200. However, that's not what this camera is for, and if you want to shoot video with quiet autofocus, don't make my mistake... pay the extra $200 now for the 18-135mm STM kit. it has the exact same capabilities as the 18-55, except you'll love how far it can zoom in, and the autofocus will be silent and you will enjoy wonderful 1080P videos. The lens will cost you $449 later, a $249 mistake if you don't get it now. Even if you have no intention of shooting video with the camera, the 18-135 lens is much more versatile and will focus faster while taking photos.

Later on, I recommend buying a prime lens that is faster with a smaller f-stop so that you can capture great low-light photos without using flash, at night and at indoor events. I bought the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras. You can get it for around $300, but it is worth every penny, and you'll understand once you start taking photos that look like they came out of a magazine.

Once again, do not waste your money, plan ahead and get the 18-135mm STM lens with the camera. If you want to upgrade to full-frame and don't want to pay for a 5D, look at the Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only). It may be my next camera :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Finally has Auto-Focus in Video Mode, February 8, 2013
Length:: 1:49 Mins

When the T2i came out a few years ago, it was one of the first DSLRs that could shoot full 1920x1080 video. This was groundbreaking for a lot of people because it meant that with the right lenses, anyone could shoot ultra-high quality video.

The trouble was, there was no auto-focus while shooting video. So, you either pre-focused your camera before going to video mode, or you had to focus by hand. The trouble for me is that sometimes I like to just put the camera on a tripod and walk into the shot. This was fine, as long as the subject didn't move.

When I heard that the T4i had auto-focus in video, I immediately did some research and there were a lot of people complaining that it was too slow. While this may be true, the fact is, it does work. I can move around, and although it may take a few seconds for it to find me, it's far better than having no auto-focus at all.

In this video, I don't talk about the new touch screen... but I LOVE IT. The touch screen was an unexpected bonus that by itself would not be worth upgrading, but it actually makes some tasks quicker.

The purpose of my video is to literally focus on the auto-focus. I'm shooting with a EF-50mm f/1.4 lens, which is not one of the newer STM lenses. As such, you should be able to hear the lens itself as it focuses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded from T2i, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I've owned 3 Canon cameras over the years, a Rebel SLR film camera, upgraded to the XTi for digital, then up to the T2i as it added video. I skipped the T1i/T3i as the feature set didn't seem that much improved over my previous models for the cost. I've been very happy with the T2i, shooting over 4000 pictures with it. However, I take a lot of video with the T2i and the stereo mic plus the enhanced Digic 5 processor for better low light performance and an upcoming trip to Vegas (with lots of night shot potential) sold me on upgrading again. I shot about 500 photos over the past week with it.

The T2i wasn't without its quirks. For example if I was shooting at an obvious target with the center focus point it would consistently try to autofocus somewhere else off to the side if it was closer. I got around this by just enabling the center AF point but it would still occasionally hunt for the focus. Another problem I had with it was its occasional color reproduction. There's a bar at Vegas in the Aria casino called the Moderno Bar with a dark chocolate brown sign and faux trees lit with a blue light that, no matter how I adjusted the exposure or color settings would inevitably turn out as blue gray or sandal wood. Intense reds or yellows would come out cooler or more intense than my eye was seeing them. The colors I could fix in post-processing but it was still an annoyance.

I'm pleased to report that the T4i is a decent enhancement.

Low light performance IS better. ISO 3200 is useable... SOMETIMES. It has real problems with gradients (IE dark sunsets, low lighting conditions with shadows will become very noisy and grainy.) Hard brightness/color changes with solid colors look very good, however. I suspect that this is due to the built-in noise reduction processing of the camera and not an improvement on the sensor itself. This noise is NOT noticeable on the built-in screen unless you zoom almost all the way into the picture. But it's readily noticeable on a regular monitor. Like the T2i I've set the limit to max out at ISO 1600. But it IS better than the T2i at ISO 3200.

Color reproduction is better - The Moderno Bar came out near perfect on my first shot with the T4i (and a little manual adjusting got it close enough to perfect for my taste for the effect I was going for). Reds don't tend to "bloom" as much either and blend better with the scene. Auto-Exposure is still tricky, but whereas the T2i guessed too dark and captured a bright picture, the T4i errs on the other side and guesses too light and captures a darker picture. That's not a killer issue because that's readily apparent from the image review but still a quirk nonetheless.

Autofocusing - Much better. I still only use the center AF point but it was very rare for me to not "lock" onto a point to get what I wanted.

Stereo Mic - The mic is moved to the top of the camera just in front of the flash hot shoe. Stereo separation is decent and the mic is much clearer than the T2i's (much more high end) But... the mic is on the top so its much more sensitive to wind noise. Even the slightest breeze will sound like a hurricane. Canon's added a wind noise attenuator that can be enabled which essentially clips the wind noise after half a second. Overall I'm pleased with the audio.
UPDATE - Watch your breathing/camera placement - I was doing some videoing with the camera held at chest level, breathing through my nose and the mic sounded like I was in a hurricane.

Autofocusing with video - You don't need the STM lens to get the autofocus feature. The T4i will automatically step the lens to bring things into focus though it might end up hunting for a bit. This is much better than the T2i's autofocusing abilityu but still not a great solution. You WILL hear the noise of the lens focusing, even with an ultrasonic motor. (I did not have an STM lens to test with as all the kits in my area that contained them had been recalled for the rubber grip issue and none of my local dealers had the lens itself in stock) For the T2i I ended up pre-focusing on a far away target then leaving the focus untouched for most cases or manually focusing while videoing and I continued the practice for the T4i.

Variable touch screen - Neat feature but I just didn't use the variable portion of the screen. The touch screen is cool but I found the touch to focus tricky and sensitive to being "retouched" before I could press the shutter button. If you're right handed, you're going to want to touch the screen with your right hand while holding the camera in your left, then grip the right side with your right hand while moving the left to get a brtter steady position and I found myself brushing the screen with my left thumb way too much. You can also "swipe" your pictures and pinch zoom them while viewing them but the buttons still retain the same functionality as before so I continued to just use them.

Build quality - The rubber grips (the source of the recall) are actually quite nice, feeling much more flexible and "grippy". The buttons on the back have rough edged plastic that makes them more tactile but also feels a little cheaper. The button clicking is much more pronounced though and I think that's a good thing. (My only complaint is that the Q button is almost directly above the "up" button so I kept overshooting the up button and pressing it instead when doing fast adjustments so that I was adjusting other things besides what I wanted)

If you already have a T2i and don't care about stereo audio or low light photography, I'm not sure you need to upgrade. The focusing and reproduction are somewhat better but I'm not sure it's $900 better if you're not interested in the newer features. On the other hand if you're a new buyer this is a decent camera to start with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Perfect Entry Level DSLR Kit, September 27, 2012
I bought the T4i with the new STM version of the 18-135mm lens as a "more portable" camera when I am out and about. I normally shoot with a Canon 5D with my trusty 24-105 L lens when I am around the house. Between the 5D and the T4i are six years and boy has this little Rebel evolved into an amazing tool.

I picked the T4i over the T3i due to the amazing and useful touchscreen, STM lens for silent focusing and IS to shoot video with , and for the new upgraded autofocus. Coming from the very original 5D, I have been very frustrated with focus accuracy. Many times, the focus target would either be front or back focused depending on the lens. And it was NOT user error. Canon was well aware of the issues. I can definitely say that the new STM Kit lens locks on to focus quicker than you can blink and does so in utter silence. It's almost eerie how little your hear at all. I rely on the focus beep to know when I have achieved focus. The lens itself is reasonable sharp for the given wide focal length.

I will repeat like many here how useful and smart the touchscreen is when you are reviewing a pic and want to see if the critical parts of your subject are truly in focus. For those who come from smart phones with touchscreens, it's pretty intuitive as to what gesture you need to zoom in and out and to drag the pic around the screen. However, I will concur that the focus by touch feature is pretty useless and slow. I am old school so I always use my optical viewfinder so it's a non issue. AF speed is significantly faster using the viewfinder vs. the touchscreen.

Also worth mentioning is that the T4i comes with an external mic input if you want to use your own mic with video. Too bad there is no earphone jacks to monitor audio levels with.

In conclusion, I think the T4i is simply terrific. Canon has finally fixed many of the flaws related to AF and lens noise with video shooting. Pictures at high ISO has about the same level of noise as the T3i, which is good. So for those of you sitting on the fence about a Cropped Sensor DSLR form Canon, you have your solution right here. If you have a T3i, then I would advise against upgrading unless you want to shoot videos with the built in stereo mics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon T4i, September 15, 2012
First I'm not one of those people that must buy the newest model of camera, phone, etc every year. I've been using Canon's Rebel XS for the last few years. That right there is enough for me to rate the T4i as 5 stars. This has so many improvements compared to my XS such as: 18 megapixels, HD video, writes images to card much faster, 5 fps instead of 3.4.

The touch screen is a nice feature. You can touch the screen and it will focus (a little slow but not bad if you're feeling lazy) and then take a picture. You can change ISO, aperture, shutter speed and other functions with the touch screen or you can go through all the menus.

HD video is nice, I did want a camera that could shoot some video just for fun. I haven't done much with video yet but it's nice to have whenever taking pictures isn't enough. I didn't buy the camera just for video or the auto focus as some people mention in their reviews. Others say the auto focus is bad, I haven't had problems with it (can be slow at times) but I mostly use manual focus.

I don't care for the "artistic" effects built into the camera (have Photoshop for that) but I love the HDR back lighting feature.

Overall, I love this camera. It sounds great when shooting 5 fps compared to my XS. This camera is a huge improvement for me. The improved ISO, processor, and megapixels are the main reason I bought this camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best DSLR with Some Issues on Video Autofocus, October 31, 2012
I have two pieces of advice for you. If you are buying this Camera mainly for still photography, then stop reading these reviews and go buy it now. It is simply the best. The auto-focus works perfectly. Even photos taken with the pre-configured settings on the camera are perfect. You hardly need to do manual settings for iso, white balance etc because the camera gets them right out of the box for most situations.

If you are buying this camera mainly for video, then you better start learning how to use manual focus. The Autofocus for video is not good. A lot of mechanical noise (with the 18-55mm lens) gets recorded, a lot of jittering and focus hunting. Even when you set it to Autofocus with the AF Servo and Flexizone Single mode to continuously focus on a moving subject, it tracks for a moment and still does a lot of focus hunting.
The autofocus for video is slow. Takes up to 4 seconds to focus at times, and the focus hunting will definitely ruin your shots.
Bottom line. For still photography, it is the best, you don't need to change a thing. For video, make sure you learn how to focus manually.

Everything else is perfect, the touchscreen, stereo mic, battery and recording time which is up to 29 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paired with new Canon 40 mm EF STM Lens, a Real Winner, June 26, 2012
KCinDC76 (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Ii like to carry my camera with me wherever I go, and not have to keep it in a separate bag, but the lenses in my collection don't make that very practical. The Canon EOS T4i is a great camera, as many other reviewers have said, and the purpose of my review isn't to repeat those comments. Instead, I want to comment on the T4i with a 40mm lens, which is also new from Canon.

Paired with the new Canon 40mm EF f/2.8 STM Lens the T4i is my ideal camera. With the 40mm lens, the camera suddenly becomes compact. Assuming you don't have any add-ons attached to the body, such as the Photive PH-BGE8 Battery Grip for Canon EOS Rebel T4i, T3i, T2i (Replaces Canon BG-E8), all you really have to carry around is the body itself since the lens is so slim.

The 40mm lens is very quiet - almost silent - making videos taken on the EOS T4i top notch. At first I thought I would miss being able to zoom while taking videos, but its nice actually not to have to worry about that. Quiet, of course, is relative. You can barely hear it as it focuses. And, compared to my Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras it is extremely quiet.

Finally - and I can't explain this - having a small lens seems to make subjects more relaxed, even disarm them. Maybe its because they think I'm using a simple point and shoot camera. That's perfectly fine with me, as it leads to better and easier shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC CAMERA, September 18, 2012
I have been a Sony person for a long time. Finally, it was time to buy a new camera. I checked out the new Sony, but it was beyond my budget, and also the Nikon. When I read all the information on the new Nikon on the plastic mounting constantly breaking, and Nikon not standing behind their product. That was it. Then I was reading about the Canon Rebel T4i and it received what I thought to be exceptional ratings. I decided that I wanted to go with a bigger lens, so that it was more multi-purpose. I just started using the camera yesterday, and am thrilled beyond belief. The camera feels sturdy in my hands, if there is any plastic in it, I don't know where it would be. It takes beautiful, clear pictures and I always know when I am in focus. Totally, enjoy this camera and feel like I will enjoy it for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns a novice into a professional, September 24, 2012
As my first SLR purchase, I did my research and compiled a list of various models which I thought would fit the bill. On my long list was the Canon T4i and wanted to purchase it the very first day it went on sale. Luckily for me, I decided to hold-off the spending splurge and wait to see if now comers would hit the market right after Canon debuted their T4i.

At one point I had considered the Sony NEX 5, since I didn't want to seem like the typical tourist with a bulky camera. A friend of mine has the Sony NEX 5 and I have to say, while small and sleek, it does not provide the quality I am searching for, especially when planning to fork over about $1K for a camera. Need not to say you don't get what you pay for, but I want an item to exceed what I am paying for, and that is exactly what I received.

I ordered my camera on September 12 and received it on the 14th. I felt like a kid on Christmas when the UPS truck arrived with my package; all the shiny boxes and accessories made me feel special. When I looked at the box, I am amazed and astonished to see where my money had gone....slightly opening the bright colored Canon T4i box, it unveiled the product I had purchased.

Now, moving forward, at first I didn't know how to use the manual modes or other features, but after a few tutorials on YouTube and reading the manual, I finally figured how to capture some astonishing shots and how to utilize the AF feature properly to focus on the subject(s).

If this is your fist SLR, the first set of pictures may not seem up to par on what you may expect, but give it a day or so, and you will realize how to use the features and get amazing results. I cannot praise this camera enough. Having owned may Canon's I wanted to stick with a brand I could trust and that is exactly what I got.

My friend who has a Nikon and the Sony NEX is amazing at the quality it shoots. I would say, give yourself a moment, read the manual and a youtube tutorial and you'll feel like your shoot like a pro.

This camera has engaged so much, I may take up a photography course to learn more and get acquainted with the lenses on the market.

As a pointer- I also bought the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens for head-shots and portraits and love the results. it focuses automatically on the subject and the results are great. I was going to get the more expensive lens at F1.4 but want to settle on this cheaper lens since it was my first time having an SLR camera. This is an expensive hobby, but the results you capture are all worth it.

I do recommend spending a bit more to get the 18-135 STM lens.

‹ Previous | 1 2 374 | Next ›

Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
$799.00 $669.00