5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide!
Published on August 5, 2009 by Mistiquelymee

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much better than the manual...
As I am someone who actually reads manuals I was pretty disappointed by the book. I liked the examples (although even the Canon manual includes plenty) and the specific instructions how to capture sports action scenes, but that's the only positive I can say about that book. And even those tips I might have figured out myself on the first field trip.

I was...
Published on September 26, 2010 by Clemens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide!, August 5, 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I just bought a Rebel T1i in June. This is my first DSLR and I was able to figure out a lot about the camera without reading the manual but I don't know all that much about photography in general and knew that I wasn't using this camera to its fullest potential. I like this guide because it not only explains the finer details on how to use this camera but also incorporates information on photography in general. I also like how detailed the book is, which is good for me because when I'm learning something new I need it explained to a T. This book made me more comfortable with exploring things, such as setting custom functions, which I hadn't even touched before. It also adds more of an explanation to things that the manual just mentioned briefly. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to learn how to use this camera to its fullest potential and not just in auto mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars The camera should come with this book!!!!, October 1, 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
The Canon T1i is my first DSLR camera, so I am a complete novice. I was very excited about getting this camera, however, I was completely overwhelmed with all the settings and functions the camera offers. I knew the camera offered a lot more than my point and shoot camera, but I was not using it nearly to the full capacity. The instruction manual that comes with the camera is extremely sparse, and leaves a lot of questions about how to actually use the camera in the real world, or how to make your pictures better. And with that, came my copy of Charlotte Lowrie's Cannon T1i Digital Field Guide. This is the first field guide I have used, so I just started from the beginning. The book is very well written and makes for an easy read. The color illustrations and examples of the varying camera settings are perfect at demonstrating what the text is referring to. The saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is exemplified by this book that uses a color pictures to demonstrate nearly every situation and variable that can be altered. One of the other pleasant parts of the book was the final few chapters that discussed the art of photography and some of the accoutrements of the camera.
All in all, this book is excellent for teaching you how to use your new DSLR! Even though I am still a novice, I imagine this book will continue to be useful to me as my blossoming interest in photography continues to grow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Resource, October 28, 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I'm new to the SLR world and was taken back by the numerous features offered by the T1i. Like most guys, I didn't want to ask questions or take time to read manuals. I figured it would be simple enough to push some buttons and make the thing work....After this approach failed, I began searching for help. I skimmed through several books on the T1i and found this reference to be the most complete and instructional. The wealth of information found within this book is perfect for the beginner photographer striving for professional photographer instruction and image results. This is a fantastic resource and I would recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this book near your camera!, August 21, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
Charlotte Lowrie's Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide is a great resource for Canon T1i owners. It is a comprehensive guide that not only shows how to use the varying functions of the camera, but also provides tips to help take better photos. In addition, chapters on "elements of exposure and composition" and "in the field with the EOS Rebel T1i/500D" really helps those newer to photography by explaining how to obtain the best images from your camera for different scenarios such as landscapes, portraits, action, and low-light situations. Also, the settings for shooting in the RAW format are included throughout the guide as well as an introduction to RAW Capture and its advantages. This field guide is a must for anyone wanting to use their T1i to its fullest potential! Read it and keep it nearby in your camera bag!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for T1i Users, August 8, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This book was very well written in easy to understand language and much easier to get a feel for the camera than reading the manual. I learned about features I did not even know I had and had not used before. I would highly recommend this as a must have to all those who recently purchased the Canon T1i as a great tool for mastering all the features of the camera as well as learning about additional accessories and photography tips in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars simple, clear instructions, March 14, 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I've found this book easy to follow, if you can consider any camera manual easy. I especially like the custom settings section which completely explains each of the options and not just how to change it. My suggestion is to have the book open in front of you with camera in hand as you read so you can see exactly what she is trying to explain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
This book has many helpful items on how to set up your camera and use it to its full potential. It is perfect for newbies and seasoned photographers alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear directions with great illustrations., August 31, 2013
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
In my opinion, Canon should send this book as a guide. The instruction book they send with the camera does not compare.

4.0 out of 5 stars exceeded expectations, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I was amazed how indepth the handbook is. it has exceeded my expectations. i have picked up alot of previously unknown items in this handbook. i refer to it often. it was well worth the price i paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and helpful, July 15, 2012
Francois Villon "Francois Villon" (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
As an easily confused amateur photographer, I always feel I need lots of education in taking pictures, so I have three guidebooks, plus the Canon manual, to help me with my Rebel T1i. This one is the most clear and the most accurate. As an example, in explaining the use of the Auto Exposure Lock (AE Lock), none of the other books (not even the manufacturer's guide) note that that doesn't work in Manual shooting mode. Maybe if you know all about cameras you don't need to have that pointed out, but in that case you don't need any books at all. Also, I was interested to see that Ms. Lowrie's discussion of the best way to get sharp pictures (by concentrating on the AF-points and holding the camera still, avoiding focus-lock-and-recomposing), is not quite what the manufacturer says, but after much testing I think she is right. The only defect I see in the book is that the sample pix, which are supposed to show the differences in different approaches, all look pretty much the same, because the printed reproductions don't make clear the subtle differences in the actual photos. I will most certainly look for this writer's books on other cameras - if I live long enough to graduate to a more sophisticated device.

Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide
Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D Digital Field Guide by Charlotte K. Lowrie (Paperback - July 7, 2009)
$19.99 $14.91